Topless_92's KA Vert Build

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Topless_92
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Convertible

This is my 92' Vert... Car needs to be cleaned and eventually painted.

Paints not too bad though.

Ordering new top and window sometime soon.Interior is almost flawless...

Engine bay is so clean and stock haha

Got a lot of plans for this car...The goal is to get the KA to ~250CHP N/A and still be streetable and easily turbo'd later. The engine block will get honed and cleaned up with new rings, stock pistons and rods, and Calico coated bearings. Head will be "beefed up" and my brother will be fabricating my exhaust from manifold back and we've got plans for a sick intake manifold and four throttle bodies [ITB's ] Also a cage will be thrown in there eventually. Most of this work will be done by my brother and some good friends. I still have a lot to learn but hopefully i can learn a lot in the next few months while i watch this thing come to life.

Logan76
Car: Junk

Why would you measure in CHP? 250CHP roughly converts to around 190-200whp N/A, it ISNT going to happen in a naturally apspirated KA, without deep pockets. To achieve that kind of horsepower your compression ratio would need to be higher, therefore turboing down the road is most likely out of the question, If I were you I would just start saving for the turbo build right now...

Topless_92

Got some parts for ya...We have the 5Speed swap sitting in the garage. $150 for everything! But we needed a new clutch and went with the D21 stock clutch and flywheel straight from Nissan. Strong enough and cheap. Also pictured is braided clutchline/speedbleeder/and pivot bolt from http://www.SPLParts.com (My brother recommends them, great guys)

New MAF sensor... 90mm from a VH45! biggest MAF produced by Nissan. Def. not a bad for $40

And now for the BrianCrower 264 cams. awesome customer service and great packaging!

These are good for 15HP and 15TQ on a stock motor, dyno proven by a local 240 owner.

Next step, drag the car to my brothers garage and rip the motor out.

ShallowPockets
Car: Handful of S13's

Logan76 wrote:Why would you measure in CHP? 250CHP roughly converts to around 190-200whp N/A, it ISNT going to happen in a naturally apspirated KA, without deep pockets. To achieve that kind of horsepower your compression ratio would need to be higher, therefore turboing down the road is most likely out of the question, If I were you I would just start saving for the turbo build right now...
Why do we measure in CHP? Because I wanted to. 250 at the crank is a good goal for the KA. If it makes you feel better we're shooting for OVER 200 AT THE WHEELS OMGZ ROXXORZ 1337!!!!!

And it's not going to happen without deep pockets? Wow, thank you for telling me this now, I've never heard anyone say that. Can you give me the specs of your build and the final power output of the motor, because you must be speaking from experience!

And tell me Logan.. why does everyone say "you need deep pockets to build an N/A motor" but no one ever says that about someone building a turbo motor? Whats the difference in the two setups? Specs... thats it. It's all about opening up the motor either way. Whats the only thing we'll need to get rid of to go turbo? The header...

If we were building this motor for turbo we'd be going the same damn route. Sure higher compression pistons would yeild more power, but its not worth the money put into them. And on a side note you can run higher compression with turbo fine if you know how to tune, local guy is running 10.5:1 in his roadrace SR20. Also this car is going to be turbo'd down the road, and he honestly won't need/want more than a 7psi setup. He'll push great numbers, and the stock pistons will handle it beautifully.

Thanks for the input though, what was I thinking? You're a perfect example of why we have this goal... and that's just it, A GOAL. One we're going to try our hardest to reach. If it doesnt make it it doesnt make it. But it it wont be due to lack of ingenuity on our part. I've done alot of research and work on these motors, I'm not blowing smoke...

BTW... this is mikes brother who'll he'll be wrenching on this with, I'll be making his manifolds and rollcage along with many other things. I'm mod 240SXAddict for anyone on 240SXForums.com, but I'm just a noob with a brain on this site

Modified by ShallowPockets at 9:33 AM 7/28/2007
Modified by ShallowPockets at 9:39 AM 7/28/2007

Logan76

Ill argue with you all day on this, For one I asked why measure in CHP because NO ONE EVER DOES! when you go to a dyno how often do you get CHP numbers? unless its an engine dyno. Lets ask ourselves this question again, Why do you need Deep pockets to run N/A and not so much to be boosted, because to be N/A and get over 200WHP on an N/A KA, your going to need to run higher compression, and have alot more work done than you think, your ITB setup and headers arent going to get you 200hp...newsflash! I could buy a T2 manifold off ebay and go to a junkyard, piece a turbo kit together for 600$ and be faster than you after you dump thousands into your motor to get 200whp N/A. That's why I say you need deeper pockets to go N/A than you do running a boosted setup.

The thing that really shows your ignorance is thinking you would take a high compression motor, just "replace the header with a turbo kit" and have bolt on horsepower. Maybe so if you were'nt running high compression already to put down 200hp N/A. Your going to be running like 13:1 if not more to put down the numbers you want. To put a turbo kit on that motor, you will have to retard your timing to the extreme opposite of how advanced it was to put down 200hp, and add a Methanol injection kit or run race fuel. It's just a ticking time bomb to toss a turbo kit onto a purpose built N/A motor, yes it can be done with good tunning and thousands of dollars. To me it seems like a total waste to build an N/A motor then turbo it later down the road, KA's are everywhere. Why not just do two seperate motors and save yourself the hassle?

Lastly, I dont care where your a mod, and I dont think anyone else does. Also I do care to inquire how many 200hp KA24DE's have you seen in your lifetime? I personally havent seen too many, if you post up some dyno sheets maybe then I wont doubt you as much. You would have better luck with just starting off doing a tubo setup.

Topless_92

I rather build up a reliable N/A engine than buy a manifold off eBay, get stuff from the junkyard and build a crappy turbo setup. Also i'm not 100% sure that i'm going to turbo it.

And about being a mod on 240sxforums , he wasn't gearing that towards you and wasn't bragging about it, if that what your thinking just for people who might know him from the other forum

Logan76

zerothread/226208

This thread just backs up the fact that it is expensive to do, or dont you think someone would've had 200hp by now?

Logan76

Oh, it kinda sounded like he was, Im not trying to be a prick. I just want to tell you that there are plenty of reliable turbo set ups out there, or even nitrous if you havent considered nitrous its very easy horsepower on a KA.

DirftKing102
Car: Nissan 240sx 1993 convertable

really nice 240 vert!!!! What color are you going to paint the car? Is it going to be the same color or different color?

ShallowPockets

Logan76 wrote: argue with you all day on this, For one I asked why measure in CHP because NO ONE EVER DOES! when you go to a dyno how often do you get CHP numbers? unless its an engine dyno.
when noobs ask how much horsepower a Stock SR20 has, what do people tell them? 200-205HP... when people ask how much HP the KA has people tell them 155-160HP. Everyone always does. Whats it matter though, its a trivial point. It's just a realistic goal(IMO for our setup) and a number that will turn some heads.
Logan76 wrote:Lets ask ourselves this question again, Why do you need Deep pockets to run N/A and not so much to be boosted, because to be N/A and get over 200WHP on an N/A KA, your going to need to run higher compression, and have alot more work done than you think, your ITB setup and headers arent going to get you 200hp...newsflash! I could buy a T2 manifold off ebay and go to a junkyard, piece a turbo kit together for 600$ and be faster than you after you dump thousands into your motor to get 200whp N/A. That's why I say you need deeper pockets to go N/A than you do running a boosted setup.
I wasnt comparing an built motor running N/A to a stock motor running boost. Pound for pound turbo is easier on these motors, I'll never argue that. I was comparing MOTOR builds for N/A or Turbo applications. The motors themselves go through the same process, but no one seems to talk down to people building the motor if they're going to slap on a turbo later.

And sure you'd be faster... for a bit. Until we slap on a turbo to the built motor. And like I said in the first post we are not raising compression, this may hurt us in the final dyno motors, butwe're not going "full-out" N/A. Just enough to shut some people up and have a kick-*** platform for turbo later.
Logan76 wrote:The thing that really shows your ignorance is thinking you would take a high compression motor, just "replace the header with a turbo kit" and have bolt on horsepower. Maybe so if you were'nt running high compression already to put down 200hp N/A. Your going to be running like 13:1 if not more to put down the numbers you want. To put a turbo kit on that motor, you will have to retard your timing to the extreme opposite of how advanced it was to put down 200hp, and add a Methanol injection kit or run race fuel. It's just a ticking time bomb to toss a turbo kit onto a purpose built N/A motor, yes it can be done with good tunning and thousands of dollars. To me it seems like a total waste to build an N/A motor then turbo it later down the road, KA's are everywhere. Why not just do two seperate motors and save yourself the hassle?
The thing that shows your ignorance is that you didnt read an comprehend the first paragraph in this thread. STOCK PISTONS. We're opening up the KA and shooting for good numbers. He'll have a screaming motor that'll last a long time, and can easily be turbo'd later.
Logan76 wrote:Lastly, I dont care where your a mod, and I dont think anyone else does. Also I do care to inquire how many 200hp KA24DE's have you seen in your lifetime? I personally havent seen too many, if you post up some dyno sheets maybe then I wont doubt you as much. You would have better luck with just starting off doing a tubo setup.
Like my brother said, that was for anyone I knew from other boards, not to rub it in your face. Moderating = Online babysitting, nothing else.

And i'd like you to spend some time to look for bigvinnie's posts on club240. 200CHP(CHP!!!! VINNIE HIMSELF USED CHP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He and deviousKA are KA tuners over there.) for $800-$1000. tune, pulley, and exhaust... dyno proof too.

Look for pandas14's ITB's setups. 150whp with a stock motor and crappy tune...

local guy dynoed his stock KA with the BC 264 cams and got 15HP/15TQ...

but no-one has seemed to put them all together and make some good numbers. Honda guys have been exploiting their tiny motors for years and KA owners dont seem to get it that they can do it too. The goal of this build is to have a 2.4 liter pushing over 200whp for under the cost of a SR20motorset and parts needed for the swap. The motor will be fresh(it needed a rebuild anyway) and easily turbo'd later without much hassle. The fuel system and biki(with a retune) will be ready for the task already, and the motor will have zero problems. This will equate to more power out of a lower psi.

I have yet to full out build a KA, this is the first time. After much research I feel like this is a worthwhile goal, and I have never said it is absolute and you are an idiot, this is a GOAL. This is virtually unknown territory... and I dont know why.

Logan76

It is a lofty goal, if you put down 200hp on a KA ill give you tons of prop's, im not trying to cut up your build, im just telling you facts.

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

The interior's nice ! While 200 whp out of an NA KA has yet to be documented out of a private owner's KA, the NA route is a very noble goal. Good luck!

ishkabibble
Car: 1992 NX2000 hardtop, 1993 NX2000 t-top, 1997 Infiniti I30t

Nice vert. I dig the look of the black wheels on the black car.

CHP is for motors that are out of a car, WHP is for an installed motor. WHP is the OMG ROXXORZ 1337 figure since it accounts for the power loss in the drivetrain.

Good luck with the N/A build. I'm also a fan of rock solid reliability, but am with the other guys about not seeing much proof of a cheap, high-hp N/A KA. PDM Racing seems to have done it on that one girl's SCCA car, though.

Topless_92

DirftKing102 wrote:really nice 240 vert!!!! What color are you going to paint the car? Is it going to be the same color or different color?
Paints gonna most likely be black

BOOMSHAKALAKA

Quite a goal you set there, 92. Good luck wit your build.

USDM240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Limited Edition 'vert

very nice car. keep up the good work.

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Topless_92,Weren't you trying to sell the vert? Or maybe that was someone else? Anyway, props on keeping your car clean(especially inteior). I can see that you are about to have fun.

ShallowPockets

ishkabibble wrote:Nice vert. I dig the look of the black wheels on the black car.
eh, if he can find a cheap 5lug conversion I'll practically give him better wheels. you've got a nice vert yourself.
ishkabibble wrote:CHP is for motors that are out of a car, WHP is for an installed motor. WHP is the OMG ROXXORZ 1337 figure since it accounts for the power loss in the drivetrain.
obviously, but whichever way you say it is the same thing, we want to make 250CHP or over 200WHP, same damn thing. it's a very trivial arguement as I said before.
ishkabibble wrote:Good luck with the N/A build. I'm also a fan of rock solid reliability, but am with the other guys about not seeing much proof of a cheap, high-hp N/A KA. PDM Racing seems to have done it on that one girl's SCCA car, though.
Of course there is no proof, no one has seemed to do it. there's proof of substantial gains everywhere, but no one ties those modifications together to make one mean KA, which bugs me.

Nismo94
Car: 1994 240sx convertible

sweet man i think its kick @ss to try and get 200whp out of KA N/A, in the end the dyno will show and either all the people that thought they had the facts will have to look at the rap sheet again or if u dont turn out 200whp it will be back to the drawing board...either way i give u respect for trying good luck man

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

If you want 200rwhp out of a NA ka go back to brian crower and order their stroker kit...

Topless_92

The thing is...this is gonna be a lot cheaper than paying like $3000 for a stroker kit.

Gonzo
Car: S13 Sr20det Vert.
2015 Infiniti Q50

Good luck with your build, very interested to see how it turns out.

ShallowPockets

Florida240sx wrote:If you want 200rwhp out of a NA ka go back to brian crower and order their stroker kit...
Yay! So we can make the KA some much more "heavy" feeling! If you look at that kit and then figure out the piston speeds at higher RPM it's insane, IIRC a safe redline would be in the 5k's. that money that would rather be spent on a turbo.

Topless_92

Well i got a little bit of an update for you guys, with some pics

Got the car into the garage...

Put the windows and the top down for the first time...i love my Vert

Hoods off...

Rest of the front end taken off...

Today we mainly drained fluids and started to tear apart the motor...Next thing is to pull the motor out, which should be happening this week or next.

FalkenDrift
Car: 1989 s13, 1992 s13 sil80,

i want a vert so effing bad. good luck with the buildupp

Topless_92

Car this morning...

Engines out

Next thing to do is to start tearing the motor apart and check everything out....Also got some stuff in the mail. Port & Polish kit

Also some powdercoat...You'll see color and everything when its done.

Topless_92

Today we made some progress. Started tearing everything off the motor to get it ready for the rebuild...a broken egr hose and a bad front main seal are the only things we've found wrong so far.

pinky121388
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx convertible

damn i have that same exact car, color and everything.. thats cool.. well it looks nice . motor looks good too! how many miles on it? let us know when its all done.

Topless_92

The car has 151,XXX...Not bad considering KA's last forever and its getting a rebuild.

Also our thermo-intake manifold gasket came in...Its pretty thick.

Dentyne Ice

pinky121388
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx convertible

that cool, yea KA live for ever.. mine only has 98k on it. with the A/T but soon after i get a couple more pieces for it i will change it to a M/T. maybe by this christmas.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”