Lit Sleepy Eyes Write Up

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
le_ryan
Car: Mazda 3 / 91 nissan S13 SR

Lit Sleepy Eyes.What you need:. 16 or 18 gauge Wire. 30Amp toggle switch or button. (2)Male and (5)Female blade connectors. 5amp fuse. Wire cutters. Pliers What to do:1. Disconnect the battery.2. Remove the headlight motor control button (big button on the left side of the dash that makes the head lights go up and down) You should be able to pull and wiggle it out, but be carefull..3. Locate and cut the brown wire, and cap each end with electrical tape or actual wire caps. Then reinstall the button..4. Remove the access panel to the fuse box located on the driver side floor, and pull the fuse marked “light control”, it should be the 5amp ..5. Connect 2 female blade connectors to the prongs on the 5amp fuse. On one connector, crimp a piece of wire 2inches long. On the other, you’ll be connecting a piece of wire long enough to reach from the fuse box to the location of your switch..6. Crimp on a Male blade connector to end of the 2” piece of wire, and a Female connector to the end of the longer wire that will be going to the switch..7. Using a piece of wire the length of your other wire that goes to the switch, crimp on a Male blade connector on one end and a Female blade connector on the other..8. Now its time to connect every thing. Get the wire with the fuse connected to it and plug in the Male connector into the fuse box in the slot on the right where the fuse used to be, and the Female blade connector goes to the “load” prong on the switch.Get the other length of wire, and install the Male blade connector in the left slot where the fuse used to be, and the Female blade connector goes to the “supply” prong on the switch..9. Find a nice spot to mount your switch and hide your wires..Here's where i mounted mine.10. Reinstall battery.Done……unless you have the option for a lit LED light when in the on position on your switch and wish to have it operational. This is optional, so I didn’t do it.

This write up may seem complicating, so here’s a simple diagram you can follow.Operating you new switch.Make sure your new switch is in the “on” position.

1. Press the head light motor control button in, Notice nothing happens now, it, its because you cut the brown wire, good..2. Turn the lights on with your stem switch on the steering council, the head lights should now open, turn them off, Notice they don’t go down, again the brown wire, good..3. Using the headlight motor control button, lower the head lights to the desired position by pressing the button in and out, this can be tricky since the lids go down once you depress the button, and they stop once you press it in. NOTE: if you close them all the way, repeat steps 1 and 2 again..4. Once you finally get it where you want them, turn your new switch to the off position, and the turn your head light on with the stem switch again. .5. Get out and marvel at your new lit sleepy eye look.If your driving with your sleepy eyes lit and you notice its getting dark, just turn you switch to the “on” position and the head lights come all the way up and on.

Any questions?..

....Ryan

While on the subject, here's another way to do lit sleepy eyes, (not created by me).http://video.google.com/videop...LEEPYIts alittle more work but accomplishes the same effect.

Modified by vroom-chirp at 7:59 AM 9/7/2006

Modified by vroom-chirp at 8:55 AM 9/7/2006
Modified by vroom-chirp at 11:52 AM 10/23/2006

One_Love
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

no questions, just wanna say you should get on aim more often.

and sweet wrtie up. can i get the custom title ?

le_ryan

One_Love wrote:no questions, just wanna say you should get on aim more often.

and sweet wrtie up. can i get the custom title ?
sure , only if i get to pick it......How about ......... Post whore....? Im playin!!Im never on aim due to my computer at home being broken, (Im at work)

One_Love
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx

post whore will do it for me

le_ryan

Ha ha, sorry man, im keepin this one.

Kittychubbs
Car: 180sx Ae86 Aw11 and a VIP ^o^

I like it!! I have sleepy lights already with a lil button i press, so they click down a bit everytime i press it, its cool!but lit sleepy's are badass.

so I jump the button intallation. all i need its the "Lights on" trick so they turn on while i have em sleepy.

can u gimme sum tips? thank u alot!

le_ryan

Kittychubbs wrote:so I jump the button intallation. all i need its the "Lights on" trick so they turn on while i have em sleepy.

can u gimme sum tips? thank u alot!
yeah, if you already have sleepy eyes, then just follow steps from 4 onAll that the new switch does is break the connection for the motors, and allows the light to be on while in sleepy eye mode.so just make the switch following the diagram and your set

Kittychubbs
Car: 180sx Ae86 Aw11 and a VIP ^o^

I....I love you. I did not say that.just now.

lol thanx man.

le_ryan

Kittychubbs wrote:I....I love you. .
Keep it in your pants Chubbs

Florida240sx
Car: 93 Hatch 5spd
2012 altima coupe 2.5s

This has been covered before.........once again another repost, but a least he has a diagram this time.....

Sneaky-Russian
Car: 1992 S13 Fastback

Even though it's a repost, it deserves respect for just taking time and making a writeup.

le_ryan

I made this because i didnt see it in the articles, i thought this would make it easy to follow if you have never even heard of a 240sx before....Thats why its so detailed..oh well

Driftless240
Car: 1991 Hatchback

I posted the video for this and no one gave me a sticky/article. I mean yours and writeups in general are awesome because of the time and work put into them. But even with pictures it can be hard to understand. Videos make it easier because you can point out everything.

neverlift

I had a piggy staring me down b/c the lit sleepy eyes. I just said nice piggy man(rice and all).

s14_drifter8

Great Write UP!!!! I did it under 30 mins. Looks nice *** hell...Ooooooo!

le_ryan

s14_drifter8 wrote:Great Write UP!!!! I did it under 30 mins. Looks nice *** hell...Ooooooo!
Sweet dude, im glad my write was put to use.
Driftless240 wrote:I posted the video for this and no one gave me a sticky/article. I mean yours and writeups in general are awesome because of the time and work put into them. But even with pictures it can be hard to understand. Videos make it easier because you can point out everything.
yeah, whats the deal with that?

le_ryan

Hey mods, so is this good for an article?

Burnsey
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45 ... 89' Nissan 240sx

mine will go down into position and everything, but then once i flip the lights to "on" (using the stem) the lights go all the way back up and what not ... what did/am i doin wrong?

le_ryan

Burnsey, Did you follow the write up step for step?If so it should work perfectly.Cut the brown wire, install the switch as noted in the diagram, follow the promps on "operating your new switch"and it should be good.

Burnsey
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45 ... 89' Nissan 240sx

alright ... I didn't take my adderal the day I did it so ... who knows I prolly installed it all wrong and stuff haha .... anyways I'll go home today and try to check it since I took my meds today

DarkWishes
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX SE Coupe

Love it man..ur a smart guy. i just wanted to say i love you...in a non-homosexual wayi did it in like 5 minutes. Thanks!!

evan86
Car: 1990 240sx, 1996 300zx twin turbo

I just cut the brown wire, double clicked, and pulled the fuse. It's the most simple way, but it would be nice to have a switch I guess. Just throwing that out there. Good write up btw.

le_ryan

DarkWishes wrote:Love it man..ur a smart guy. i just wanted to say i love you...in a non-homosexual wayi did it in like 5 minutes. Thanks!!
Keep it in your pants Darkwishes , and get some pics of the new look. glad i could help.
evan86 wrote:I just cut the brown wire, double clicked, and pulled the fuse. It's the most simple way, but it would be nice to have a switch I guess. Just throwing that out there. Good write up btw.
Thats exactly what this mod does, it just breaks the connection to the fuse when you turn the switch off. Having the switch is just easyer than having to pull over and install the fuse when it starts getting too dark out.Thanx guys

nvrplzd240
Car: 04 G35, 02 CBR600 f4i, 90 Sentra

awesome DIY

dude have you emailed greg about making it an article?

thats what your supposed to do

and its about time you get a custom title

wzntha

Last edited by wzntha on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

le_ryan

nvrplzd240 wrote:dude have you emailed greg about making it an article?

thats what your supposed to do
Done........ havnt heard nothin yet, hes prolly buisy and i think i labled it Sleepy eye mod, instead of LIT sleepy eye mod.
wzntha wrote:this might be a stupid question, but would anyone know which stores carry the materials needed to do this mod? i'm a noob.
Any autoparts store like Napa, Autozone, Advanced auto, Orielighs <--spell?Just check any auto parts store and ask for a 30amp toggle switch or button, they should have about 10-15 different style switches, pick one you like. 30amp is prolly over kill, but i like to be safe.

wzntha

Last edited by wzntha on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

le_ryan

14 gauge is just alittle more thick and can support more electricity, so i guess its better, 20amp is fine, after all you only have a 5amp fuse, so 20amp is till good. good luck man.Let me know how it goes If you go back to the write up, i edited it and put in a pic of the switch i got and where i mounted it.

ZenkiOwns
Car: Cereal box of doom

nice writ-up.

I just realised you put your switch exactly where I put mine for my elec. fans. lol.

They have one that fits directly into my change holder and looks oem. Only problem is it is bright as hell and amber, so I'm not looking foward to night driving now.

le_ryan

ZenkiOwns wrote:'89 chuki rb20 stays in the driveway
89 chuki..... you have a chuki bumper on and 89?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”