DIY - SR cruise control - Redtop s13

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
elvis240sx

Ok, so I have had a few people ask me how to do this and recently got around to looking at exactly what I did. The car is a 1990 s13 with a redtop SR. Here is how to do it..

You need :KA throttle body Short piece of electrical wire (about 1.5 feet)

First things first, swap over the throttle body from your old KA onto the SR. Next, there are two different ways you could go. The route I chose, and what seems like the easiest is to use the KA throttle cable bracket as well. It can accomodate both the throttle and cruise control cables.

You will need to first drill out the holes in the bracket a little. You must also grind off the back of the bracket. This is so you can position the bracket in such a way that the cables arent pulling crooked when opening the throttle.

Here is the KA bracket after I modified it to work.

The other method is to get a piece of sheet metal and fabricate your own bracket. It would probably be easiest to make a mock one out of cardboard, and then trace it onto the metal. Cut it out and bend it in a vise.

Hook up the throttle cable and cruise cables to the throttle body. It may now be necassary to adjust the cables. Loosen both nuts on the cables until there is slack in them. Then tighten them down until they are just tight, but not holding the throttle plate open at al. Tighten the nuts back down.

Everything that needs to be done under the hood is now complete. Now get ready to curl up into a ball under the dashboard! You will need to remove the passenger side kick panel to expose the ECU.

Once you see the ECU, take out the 2 ten millimeter bolts holding it in place. Once that is out of the way, you will see a small brass colored module that looks like a smaller version of your ECU. This is the cruise control module. It is also held in place by 2 ten millimeter bolts, but they are both on the same side, rather than on top and bottom like the ECU. Unbolt it.

ECU on the left, you can see the cruise module still bolted to the body.

This is where the electrical wire come into play. You need to jump the speed signal from the ECU to the Cruise Control Module. If you look at the connector on the Cruise module, you will see a wire that is yellow with a green stripe. It is for the speed signal. Cut this wire about 2 inches up from the connector. Now solder your piece of wire to the end of the yellow w/ green stripe wire that is still connected to the cruise module. Bolt the Cruise module back into place.

Now back to the ECU. There will be that same yellow with green stripe wire coming from your ECU connector. When you completed your SR swap you actually had to cut it and match it up to another wire on the connector that runs up into the dash. That is where the speed signal, tach signal, and other things go up to your gauge cluster. I just connected my "speed signal jumper wire" into that same spot, using a 3 way connector (this is so the speed signal still reaches your speedometer).

So now you have jumped the speed signal from the ECU to the cruise control module. Bolt your ECU back into place to make sure it is grounded, and put your kick panel back into place. Enjoy cruise control.

Yes, I do enjoy having cruise control on my SR, even though I removed power steering and A/C. Weird priorities huh? Theres just something fun about your car making boost on its own while going up hills on the highway.

slow s13
Car: cars, photo, music

Are you shure that you have to put that wire in to the cruise modual, Im pretty shure the gauge cluster sends out a speed signal to the ecu which goes on to the cruise modual, the speed wire before swaped goes to the exact same place, but you got it working so thats what counts.

elvis240sx

If anyone can get it to work without doing the wiring let me know. I think I tried it at first without jumping the signal and it would not work, but maybe I'm wrong. It works at least

JesusLikesKFC
Car: 91 240sx, geo prizm

that throttle cable looks ghetto. but as long as it works then u cant ask for more

elvis240sx

Yeah, I have been meaning to grab ahold of that with a big pair of pliers and bend it a little so the alignment is better, but I didnt have the ambition lol. Plus I figured I would need to readjust the cable and that made me want to do it even less.

sssrdub
Car: b-ball,cars, girls

good write up!!

ArcherV20
Car: 1995 240SX

How's this for S14 SR compatibility? I have an S14 SR, and an S14 KA Throttle Body, with all the C/C components that go along with the KA. Is my process exactly the same? It seems as if the KA TB won't fit on my SR.

fregisr
Car: 240sx 1990

are the tb the same size for the ka and the sr. I thought SR was a bit wider

ArcherV20

KA is a bit wider.

FSUDrifter
Car: trying to decide on one...

are the throttle bodies the same on SOHC and DE's? Which did you use?

Luke

Very nice, it's very hard to find a writeup on SR and cruise.

sr20-thoj
Car: 89 nissan 240sx coupe

bump for a kool write up

ArcherV20

This thread is very old everyone, I just bumped it because I was hoping someone knew more about the TB swap.

The TB I have is for the DOHC KA. Visually it's obvious that the parts aren't 100% interchangeable, at least not with the S14 SR and S14 KA - so if anyone had any insight it would be very helpful.

elvis240sx

why do you think that the S14 KA throttle body wont fit the sr? post pictures of the two side by side if you can

I guess I didnt compare the two throttle bodies much when I had them both off. The SR throttle body that I had used a much different TPS and had the coolant lines facing in exactly the opposite direction. The gasket was identical though so I figured that the bore of the throttle bodies was probably pretty close or the same. One thing that I forgot to mention is that I bypassed the coolant because I couldnt hook it up with the outlets facing the wrong way and it is a dumb idea to run hot coolant through the throttle body and heat up the air that I just intercooled. So instead I put a short peice of pipe inbetween the coolant lines so that it just keeps flowing on its way.

b0rdin4life
Car: 95 240sx

Does anyone know if the SR TPS will fit and work properly on the KA throttle body?

DDelambre
Car: '89 240sx, SR20DET, Silvia conversion

I'd try this, but the cruise on my 240 didn't work when I bought the car, bummer. Haven't tried to hunt down any problems

y.e.s.drift
Car: 93 240sx, 86 cressida

ok i no this is old but how did you wire up the tps sensor their completely diff?

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Im also womdering about the TPS its the only thing stopping me from doing this.

240Rookie
Car: 1991 240sx widebody coupe

ArcherV20 wrote:KA is a bit wider.
So ... it would acually be better to use the ka tb ?????!!?? I'm doing the sr swap right now and the stock ka cable doesn't reach the sr tb, so I've been looking for an alternative and as long as I doesn't screw up the hp. I'll try it.

240Rookie
Car: 1991 240sx widebody coupe

done ........

-The tps plugs are similar but not the same I had to cut and rewire

-The tubes that run through the bottom of the throt. are floped , all I did was extend those -the right one being inverted towards the intake -the left one pointed towards the rad.

ArcherV20

Nice! Good job dude.

b0rdin4life
Car: 95 240sx

I did everything discussed in this thread except I didn't cut the wire going to the cruise module, i just used a splice connector to attach the speed signal wire from the ECU to the cruise control module and when I try to use cruise control the cruise light flashes on and off very fast on the dash. Any ideas? The car is an S14 with a S13 redtop. Thanks

afracer
Car: 92 240sx convertible, 72 Datsun, 69 Buick

Yeah, my car is a 92 S13 w/redtop, 5sp that used to be auto. I tried to wire it up like this and it doesn't work. Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone get their cruise working with an auto to 5 speed SR swap? Anyone?!!

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”