rear quarter window help?!?!?

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
srphoenix
Car: 08 Mitsu Evolution X

Ok, so I know the rear quarter windows are a problem for the vert. Mine has the same problems where the motors work fine, but the rear quarter windows will not go up or down quite straight. I've read that this is a problem with the plastic guides, but I am not all to sure which guides they are or what exactly I am looking for. I did however find a guy on another forum who is parting out his vert and has these guides and the whole assembly in working order. He has the same problem as me though, as he does not know exactly which part is needed to correct the window alignment problem.

I found a layout at the nissan dealership, so my request is that someone take this picture and tell me what parts I need or circle them. That way I can send him the information for the exact part.

srphoenix

heres another picture

srphoenix

and one more of I believe the whole assembly that they are selling on ebay.

guyaverage
Car: 240sx Convertible

You need the triangular plate, picture #2, looks like the numbers are K8636 and K8637. The 3 plastic guide pieces (the 2 fronts that slide in the channels, and the one on the rear thats probably broken on yours like it was on mine) are a riveted-on part of the plate assembly, although it looks like they show K3310 as separate, not sure why its shown like that, unless its not one of the pieces. And if its not, I'm not sure what it is.

I have no idea what that last picture is, it doesnt look like anything I pulled out of mine.

What happens is (or should I say, what happened to mine), is that the plastic guide piece on the rear-most guide, snaps in half at the thinnest point. Unfortunately, that rear guide is what keeps the window going straight up and down at the right angle.

I rebuilt mine using off the shelf parts from home depot. Basically what I did was make a new rear guide piece out of L-angle aluminum, lined with the original plastic piece as a friction surface. I bonded the plastic piece(s) to the aluminum L-channel stock with high-strength plastic epoxy. Then I drilled out, removed, and replaced the factory rivet-pin with a 5/16 in. steel pin and held it and the new guide piece in place with a couple of washers and a steel wire clip. Total cost, about $25 for pins, washers, drill bits, epoxy, and small metal-cutting wheels for my drill. Total time, about 12 hours over 2 days, start to finish, being that I have no vert manual and I had to figure out how to remove everything, multiple trips to home depot, fabricate and cut the pieces, get the track assembly back in, realign it, etc. Lots of drilling, cutting, filing, measuring, trial fitting, greasing, bleeding, cussing, etc. But the windows work perfect now, so it was very much worth it. I really wish I would have taken pictures along the way, but it was late Saturday night and early super bowl sunday so I was anxious to get done.

If I get some time in the next week or so, I will take pictures of the pieces as they look installed, and write up as best I can what I did to make it work if people are interested.

top_secret

if the only problem is that they aren't lining up right with the window then you probably just need to adjust the 3 bolts that mount the frame of the window regulator to the car. Unless of course your plastic guides are really broken.. even if they are sort of broken they still work ok. Keep them greased and they don't break so much.

anyway that pic is a front window regulator for an S13, it won't work for the rear at all.

srphoenix

Wow! thank you so much for that write up, that is extremely helpful. I talked to the guy who was parting out the vert and he wanted 90 shipped for both of the rear quarter window assembly's due to the difficulty of taking them apart. But if your saying that it can be done for 25ish dollars and some tinkering time, then I'm definitley going to go that route, I got time, just no cash. Also, if you would be willing to take some pictures of that part and how you fashioned it together I would be very grateful. I'll check out if the bolts arent tightened too.

Thanks again!!!

nissanconvert
Car: 94 300zx Convertible 5 speed

When i bought my vert the right rear window went up crooked and left a gap at the back. As it turned out the adjustment bolt was just a little loose. Locktite or a lock washer might cost less then fooling around with the assembly, like top_secret said, I'd check the bolts first

guyaverage

Absolutely check the three alignment bolts first, on the other hand if you put the top down and then put the windows up (or attempt to) you can look down inside the window well and see quite quickly whether or not its the alignment, or a broken rear piece causing the problem.

I also agree the tracks need to be kept greased. The two pieces that ride in the channels were good on mine, but the rear (the one that broke) was really dry. I had to fish out the broken front part of that piece out of the window well way down in there. That was fun. Cleaned out a bunch leaves, dirt, dead bugs, etc with a vacuum while I was at it.

I'll snap some pictures this weekend to show how I reinforced my rear pieces, in case yours really are broken and you want to give a shot at redoing them.

srphoenix

sounds great, thanks again everyone for the help, I'm going home this weekend from college, so i'll get a chance to check it all out. Hopefully, it just needs some tightening and some wd-40 or something for the track, and a good vacuum. I'll tell you all how it went.

Thanks!

top_secret

DO NOT USE WD40.

use grease!

srphoenix

hmmm, didnt know that, I'll take your word for it, just curious though, whats the reason for it?

top_secret

wd40 is a spray on lubricant. it runs off, its not enough to keep the tracks lucbriacated for the long term..... I know this first hand. mark the locations and depth of the bolts, pull the windows out, and grease the **** out of those slides with some good grease. it will keep them slick for a real long time.

srphoenix

well, didnt get a chance to get anything done on the 240, including the rear quarter window guides. Just too dang cold out this weekend, did get a chance to pick up a 5spd transmission for 100 bucks in madison though, so it was still a good trip. Thanks for all the replys though.

heres to spring coming soon.... damn winter.

mjo658
Car: 1993 240sx convertible

i have a 93 240 vert and am very interested in what you fabricated to repair your rear window track/guides..have same situation and nothing avail from dealer....thx...mike

guyaverage

I'll really try to get some pictures taken tomorrow. I've been busy as all get out the past few days.

topless24D

just count your self aslucky your window is still intact! the plastic guides on my drver side are completly phooked! any one ever try using gudes from another vert? ie celica, mustang etc..

H2o4s0esixn
Car: '92 Black SE FB-totalled, '91 Sage Green HiCAS-sold, '92 Red Vert-will be buried with

I recently, like a week and a half ago, awoke to find my corner windows busted and my deck gone. Needless to say I know the insides of this mess. There are 3 plastic pieces that are riveted to the glass. (FYI you cannot replace these, you must rpelace the entire window, they are riveted) The plastic shoe looking things fit into the track and guide the window. Most of you have figured that out. The one that breaks most often is the outer one...see 2 of these plastic bits are in a track on two sides. The third grabs on to the edge of a track, the plastic piece has an L groove, the thinner part breaks and the window rolls up crooked. One thing I noticed is that even though they go up crooked, in the end you can adjust the set screws to make it line up. I found this out since I got my replacement windows at a junkyard and they were also broke. Just make sure, sure, sure, sure to completely remove all grease in those grooves (I used break part cleaner and let it dry for a while since it evaporates) Then use very liberal amounts of grease to repack the grooves. (I used marine grease for more weather-proofing)

Still my windows go up kinda funny, but they seat better than the last ones. Only issue I have is that the old windows went between the canvas and the outer seal, so the outer seal is bent inward slightly. This causes the new windows to do the same....I am working on a fix for that still.

FYI Do not pull these windows out unless you absolutely must, getting these things re-adjusted is a HGUE PITA.

top_secret

if you have good window guides you could drill through the rivets and make resin or latex molds of them and then make your own out of plastic or resin, its actually pretty easy and you can can reasonably priced kits to do it yourself online. Also rivet guns are super cheap so you can drill through the rivet and rivet a new one on there, so thats not a big problem either. mine are in pretty good shape but if I had a couple broken ones and couldn't find more in a junkyard I'd probably mold some myself. OR you could always use some steel stock and have one machined or probably use a grinder etc to make something that would work.

guyaverage

Before I redid mine I tried to mold my own by melting ABS in acetone then molding pouring the goop into a pre-made mold. Easy to do and looked good but the ABS wasnt strong enough so it broke pretty easy. I also tried to use PVC but it didnt work either. If my guides break again I will probably have a machine shop make some out of aluminum or steel.

You can drill out the factory rivets and replace it with a 5/16 inch pin, then retain the new guide pieces on the pin and hold them in place with a steel clip. I know I keep saying it but I am going to take pictures of mine and post them here. Pres. Bush was in town today and only about 5 miles from my house so the secret service had the highways blocked when I was trying to get home so I got home too late to do it today.

Also religning the tracks isnt that bad. If you mark the aligning bolts before you remove them you can put them back where they were and it will be really close if not right on.

REINCARNATION
Car: 94 s13 Vert

I see that I'm a few weeks late on this thread, but it hit me when you said that bush was in town. I live in Goshen Ohio, and my shop is in WestChester. Sounds like you're near by. I also have this same problem. I just finished with my cussing session, and now need to fix the problem. I guess I'm going to fab them out of metal.I would like to see the pics or just swing by my shop if you have a some free time. My cell:(513) 225-2277 REINCARNATION 9047 Innovation Place WestChester OH. 45011 Thanks, Jay. (We are off of Port Union)

guyaverage

I know right where your shop is, I will try to stop by in the next few days (I work at Union Centre @ 75). Tuesday I have something going on, probably Wednesday or Thursday. Here is a parts breakdown and a somewhat crappy picture in the meantime:

HaLo

what about the other pieces, if they break a little, did you guys have to fab some metal guides?

guyaverage

If you mean the other two (front) plastic pieces, I have only 1/2 of each and it still works fine. You could probably easily substitute metal or thick nylon washers in place of the front two pieces if you can find a way to have them hold on to the pin. If you havent seen them they are somewhat rectangular and have a curved piece on each 'corner'. I dont think they are under much stress so you can get away with a bit more on those. They would probably be pretty easy to fab out of aluminum too since there isnt really anything exotic about their shape, compared to the rear piece that needs the L-shaped cut in it.

JSvert240sx
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Convertable

Alright, I'm alittle confused.

I just got a new 1/4 window andthe plastic guides are broken. The guides on my old window however are still all in great shape however. Is there any way to swap these over to the new window or even the assembly their attached to over to the new window?

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

So you want to take out the window only and swap it. Right? If you look at the bottom of the window, you will see round(?) shaped bolts(K3625 from above diagram) and there are 2 holes on each. Get a '-' screw driver, put the end in the hole and hit the driver with a hammer little by little, so it can turn counter clockwise. If you spray middle of round bolt with BP Blaster or WD-40, it'll break loose even easier. Glass is very strong, but still you have to be gentle. Grap whole assembly firmly when you hit it. I've done this several times and never failed. Just be careful when you put the assembly back in. Move the window up and down and make sure the plastic rail guide is not getting too much tension. You can tell if you move your window up and down. You will see guide is being stretched if there's too much tension. It'll work that way, but if you operate your window in kinda chilly weather, it'll snap. That's what happened to mine. Good luck!

JSvert240sx
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Convertable

Thanks, I noticed the studs holding it together, just didnt realize it was that simple to disassemble. Thanks for the input, I'll make a mental note for next time I'm home from school.

gothmunkie
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Convertible

The part number for the rectangular guides is K3310-9x101. Nissan calls it an "isolator" for some reason, i don't know why they couldn't just call it a guide. I got that from a dealership, they can also look in a database to tell you how many of them are still in stock and which dealership still has them. When i got that info, there were only a total of 21 left in the country.

gothmunkie
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx Convertible

This sux, i just posted about the plastic guides. The 5 i ordered just arrived and they werent' the plastic guides. The were the right part number that i had ordered, just not what i needed. So, the part number for the guides is not k3310-9x101

Sorry

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

K8837 & K8836(triangle shaped parts from above diagram) are the right parts. I think what you received is rubber bushing that stops the window when it's up or down. It looks like small thick rubber band and you slide it into flat metal piece that sticks out. You must have thought that you could get only plastic guides. Unfortunately, you can't do that. The plastic guide is riveted on, so you have to get a whole assembly which is K8837 or K8836.

topless24D

ATTN: Any body in D/FW.... There is a 93 vert @ nissan heaven, i got the left 1/4 window but the right is still there! it was only $37 too! also has other misc pices still on it- better hurray!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”