Y33 Q45t vs. I30t

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

I'm looking to replace my beloved 1995 G20tA in about a year, and I know I want another Infiniti since my current one has been nothing but reliable and fun to drive. I know I'm not going to get the handling capabilities of my G out of anything else that Infiniti makes due to size, but I'm trying to get as close as possible. I'm going to be looking to spend $15k + trade (which will probably be around $2500-$3500). I'm pretty much trying to decide between a 2000-2001 I30t or a same year Q45t. The I30 is a very nice looking car, but the Y33 just seems to have more of a presence than the I30. Will a Y33 give me significantly more maintainance hassles than a same year I30? (I'm planning on a 110k comprehensive extended warranty so major failure costs aren't a real concern). Also can anyone speak to the capabilities of the Y33 under inclement weather? I live in the Boston area and will have to deal with some icy roads so the RWD on the Y33 gives me some pause, especially considering that my sister may have to drive it on occasion and she's a relatively inexperienced driver.

Of course this whole question becomes irrelivant if I can find a Y34 in that price range.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Winter tires and driving technique will give you an advantage in driving in winter conditions with the Y33. Before my J became a spring/summer vehicle, I use to drive it in everything from slush, snow and black ice with nothing eventful happening.

MattB

driverdriver wrote:Winter tires and driving technique will give you an advantage in driving in winter conditions with the Y33. Before my J became a spring/summer vehicle, I use to drive it in everything from slush, snow and black ice with nothing eventful happening.
Would I be okay with a good set of all-season tires? I'd prefer not to have to pay for mounting and balancing twice a year. And when you say driving technique, could you be more specific? With my G I just reduce speeds in bad weather and take corrective action if the car starts to slide at all...is there anything different I would have to do with an RWD car?

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

A same year Y33 will own a same year I30, ..

BUT a 2001 I30 is nicer to have in some ways then a 1998 Y33 , just for newness sake...

So it depenmds how your model-year price ratios work out IMO.

Fred..

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

In the fall, go to your nearest BMW dealer and inquire about the BMW winter driving safety course. You don' need to own BMW to do this course. The cost is about $200 but well worth it. You sit in a brand new RWD BMW without traction control and all season tires. They teach you various winter driving techniques and tips. I beleive its held over two weekends. Its an amazing course, that is taught one on one by a qualified driving instructor with you doing all the driving in sleet, ice, black ice and snow of various depths in a controlled environment. I did mine some years ago and learned lots of tricks that I still use.

MattB

driverdriver wrote:In the fall, go to your nearest BMW dealer and inquire about the BMW winter driving safety course. You don' need to own BMW to do this course. The cost is about $200 but well worth it. You sit in a brand new RWD BMW without traction control and all season tires. They teach you various winter driving techniques and tips. I beleive its held over two weekends. Its an amazing course, that is taught one on one by a qualified driving instructor with you doing all the driving in sleet, ice, black ice and snow of various depths in a controlled environment. I did mine some years ago and learned lots of tricks that I still use.
That definately sounds like a good program...I'll have to look into it the next time I'm at my local BMW dealer. Thanks for the information.

As far as Y33s are concerned, is there a "best" model year for them? I know they made revisions in '99, so I figure I'd want a '99 or newer....

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

99's revisions consisted of: oval clock, movable rear seat headrests, rear window shade, avail. w/ Nav, T has "dual mode" shocks, HID lights, removal of tail light centers on trunk lid.

Mine's a 98, and I prefered the standard suspension as I knew I'd be modding mine. Plus I like the tail lights on the 97-8 better.

MattB

Falkdesigns wrote:99's revisions consisted of: oval clock, movable rear seat headrests, rear window shade, avail. w/ Nav, T has "dual mode" shocks, HID lights, removal of tail light centers on trunk lid.

Mine's a 98, and I prefered the standard suspension as I knew I'd be modding mine. Plus I like the tail lights on the 97-8 better.
Is there a noticeable difference between the two modes on the shocks? I do agree with you about the taillights though...the dual reverse lights sitting in the middle of the trunk lid just don't look right with some colors. I would like to have nav though.

Falkdesigns

Not in the one I test drove (that was also 13k vs. the 15.5 paid for mine).

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

MattB wrote:
Is there a noticeable difference between the two modes on the shocks? I do agree with you about the taillights though...the dual reverse lights sitting in the middle of the trunk lid just don't look right with some colors. I would like to have nav though.
See, I don't like the lights on the 97-98. I like the smaller ones that I have.

About the adjustable shocks. The more and more I drive mine and play with it, The more I notice it. I can forget to shut sport off at times and I can just feel it in the ride. It really tightens things up. I never could tell before but now that I have a feel for the car, I can deffinatly tell.

And I do have the rear shade, and HID lighting, and all the stuff minus nav.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I prefer the later Y33 tail lights as well.....

If i were getting a Y33 id definitely get an 00 or 01.....

I dont really think an I30 and Y33 is a fair trade.....

interesting post driver driver, im going to have to check that out.....

MattB

elwesso wrote:I prefer the later Y33 tail lights as well.....

If i were getting a Y33 id definitely get an 00 or 01.....

I dont really think an I30 and Y33 is a fair trade.....

interesting post driver driver, im going to have to check that out.....
I'm only really comparing them because they tend to be priced similarly (2000 I30 and 1999 Y33 go for about the same prices from what I've seen with similar miles), and trying to figure out if I should go for a more complex RWD car (Q45) vs. a near-lux sport sedan which can be serviced at any Nissan dealer (I30). The Y33 definately has more of an attention-getting presence and will probably be more comfortable on long drives, but I'm not sure. Does the Y33 feel like a big car on the road or is it more like the BMW 7-series which feels like a much smaller car? And can anyone give me driving impressions of the Y33 vs. the Y34? I got my dealer to let me drive a Y34 once and I loved it...

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

The FY33 is softer and a little more luxury than the Y34.

Same chassis, different drive train.

You really don't want the CD based navigation which was only updated once.
Modified by maxnix at 11:54 AM 4/28/2005

Q_SHIP

Drive it and see. Mine does not feel like a boat at all. It feels like Im driving a mid sized sedan.

Jesda

The Buick Century is a midsize sedan too.

What you hear described on the Internet won't do you much good. As Q_Ship says, "Drive it and see."

Falkdesigns

Yeah, drive it and see. I was impressed. Even in stock form. I love my Q, everything about it.

MattB

Jesda wrote:The Buick Century is a midsize sedan too.

What you hear described on the Internet won't do you much good. As Q_Ship says, "Drive it and see."
Yeah I've long ago learned not to believe internet reviews, many of which like to trash anything and everything with an Infiniti logo on it. I'm definately going to go try out a Y33 as soon as I can...the more I see of the car, the more I like it. I personally find that the wheels make a huge difference in the appearance of the Y33. The touring rims look SO much better than the standard ones. Does the Anniversary Edition have the T suspension? I saw one in a parking lot the other day and it looked really nice.

Q_SHIP

Yes, wheels make a huge difference. Mine came with the 17's but have 18's on it for the summer. Yes, I know it needs a 1 inch drop.

MattB

Q_SHIP wrote:Yes, wheels make a huge difference. Mine came with the 17's but have 18's on it for the summer. Yes, I know it needs a 1 inch drop.
That picture makes me want a Y33 even more. Would the 18s from a Y34 or F50 fit on Y33?

Falkdesigns

Yes, the bolt patterns and offset's are the same.

Q-ship, if you want a set of JDM Tein's, email me. I've brought over 4 or 5 sets so far, with 2 in route now. More than a 1" drop, but IMO, the Q needs it.

Q_SHIP

What kind of a drop are we talking? I do have a T model. Does this make a huge difference? Thanks Falk.

Falkdesigns

Stated drop is in milimeters, but works out to just about 2" front and a little less in back. I have no clearance issues, but parking blocks are too tall for front lip to clear, so just don't be one of those who pull forward until the tires bump it. Speed bumps are generally no problem, just go slow.

Nice wheels btw.

MattB

Y33 owners: This may be a silly question, but what other luxury car is your Q most often mistaken for? With my G20t I've had people tell me that I have a nice BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, or Acura TSX.

Falkdesigns

My most common question is "what kind of car is that?". I get the Mercedes comment too, but I think the Cima grille adds to that. But overwhelmingly, I get asked what it is. I LOVE that.

Rex
Car: None

MattB I think the 97-01 Q45 (VH41DE) would serve you well, and is a nice looking car, but as you mentioned at least one other person may need to drive your car during the winter/bad driving conditions, please be very careful, as without snow/winter tires a Q of any year isn't very fun in the snow, IMHO.

Though I strongly recommend either ... (click for larger)

Black

Or White

Q_SHIP

Falkdesigns wrote:My most common question is "what kind of car is that?"

HA, me too. I get it all the time with people that have really confused looks on their face.

Q_SHIP

Falk, Just out of curiosity. How much would the drop cost me? Im tight on money now being a new dad and all.

Falkdesigns

I'm doing them for 280 shipped & it takes about 6-10 weeks to get them. Install will cost you somwhere around 400, and you may as well replace the shocks/struts at the same time (unless you already have). How many miles on your Q?

Q_SHIP

146K on the clock.

Falkdesigns

(sorry we're hi-jacking your thread Matt!!)

So then you are on your second or third set of shocks? If your shocks are good, then you'll be ok on them with the Tein's. If your shocks are old, you'll need new ones.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”