why would oil dipstick smell like gass?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
DJ Cool Breeze
Car: Red 92 hatch,with a blacktop Sr20 in it

so just like the title says....why, and how do i fix it so gass is not in the motor.

93hatch
Car: 93 240SX Hatchback

I worked on an SR20DET in Japan that had the same problem. When you started the car it would fill the oil pan with fuel in about 5 mins. We checked to make sure we had good coil packs and spark plugs, in the process we found fuel sitting on top of cylinder 1 and 3. The ecu had been tuned and the firing order was all messed up. Swapping the ecu fixed that problem. Have you changed the oil to see how much fuel is in it. Ours came out like black water. Has your ecu been tuned that you know about? You may have a sticky injector. How does she run?

SR20Essex
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX, 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe

Low compression turbo motors tend to be messy. They burn oil, fuel gets in the oil, and carbon builds up... it just comes with the territory. Just get used to it and change the oil all the time.

93hatch
Car: 93 240SX Hatchback

DO NOT get used to it. The problem will only get worse. The Japanese call it "Water hammer effect", we call it hydro lock. You could potentionally blow you motor to pieces. The bearings will get worn out and there goes you bottom end. The problem you have I only saw ONCE in 2 years spent in Japan. It was because of a faulty ecu tune. I have worked on several SRs, CAs, RBs, EJs. You either have a faulty ecu or a sticky injector. You can check to see if you have an injector sticking by pulling the coil packs and spark plugs then turn the key to on not start. Check to see if you have fuel spraying into any of the cylinders. IMO no problem is worth "get used to it" . If it is broken fix it.

karmakaze
Car: 98 240sx SE

if your fuel pressure is to high it can cause this as well. (it will also screw up your injectors)

i would think that running larger injectors without tuning for them could do this as well.

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

Sounds to me you need to check your compression and your Fuel Pressure.

DJ Cool Breeze
Car: Red 92 hatch,with a blacktop Sr20 in it

i have a walbro fuel pump with a stock pressure regulator........i have a fpr laying around, ill just put it on and see if that helps.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

how badly does the oil smell like gas, and is there a large amount of fuel in the oil, if you just have stinky oil the it could be piston rings, or high fuel pressure,

SR20Essex is probly right though, its been 2 years and 40K miles since I put my SR in, and the oil has always smelled a little like gas, if you change it often andkeep an eye on the level( if it goes up thats really bad ) than you shouldnt have to much of an issue

try and give some more details about your problem

Geno750

A leaking injector can also cause this, I had the same problem caused by a nicked o-ring on the #4 cylinder's injector.
Modified by Geno750 at 7:00 AM 3/24/2007

NY S13 SR

Fuel in oil is a really bad thing - punch it at the wrong time and spin a bearing. There should be NO fuel smell in your oil, period. I have seen hundreds of SR's and changed oil on dozens with no fuel smell at all.

_____________________Jeff HHeavy Throttle Performance Inchttp://www.heavythrottle.com

ILikeMy240sx
Car: SR Power

yeah fuel in oil is very very very bad as said above.

You are running rich and there are many possible reasons like metioned above. Leaking injectors come to mind or faulty injectors.

Check and fix as SOON as you can.

SR20Essex

SideWays=smiles wrote:how badly does the oil smell like gas, and is there a large amount of fuel in the oil, if you just have stinky oil the it could be piston rings, or high fuel pressure,

SR20Essex is probly right though, its been 2 years and 40K miles since I put my SR in, and the oil has always smelled a little like gas, if you change it often andkeep an eye on the level( if it goes up thats really bad ) than you shouldnt have to much of an issue

try and give some more details about your problem
Speculation, he could just be running too rich (bad injector, poor ecu tune, excessive fuel pressure, "hydro-lock" but I doubt it). Or being too sensitive about the smell of gas in his oil.

karmakaze

SR20Essex wrote:Or being too sensitive about the smell of gas in his oil.
well you can't be too sensitive about it. your oil should not smell strongly like gas at all.
Modified by karmakaze at 7:37 AM 3/22/2007

IanS

karmakaze wrote:well you can't be too sensitive about it. your oil should not smell strongly like gas at all.

Modified by karmakaze at 7:37 AM 3/22/2007
he never said it smelled strongly like gas,

he just said it smelled like gas, we cant be of any help unless we know how bad the fuel is leaking, because there are way to many possible causes for just pointing them out to do any real good

karmakaze

well in all of the vehicles i have owned, i have never had one that i could even smell a hint of gas in the oil.

SR20Essex

karmakaze wrote:well in all of the vehicles i have owned, i have never had one that i could even smell a hint of gas in the oil.
You must have always had amazing cars, or a bad sense of smell.

I've had 8 cars in my life and I’ve always done my own oil changes. Most of them had a hint of gas smell in the oil. Nothing too strong, but it was definitely there, some worse than others, its usual correlation was how many miles the motor had (how much gas was getting by the rings).

In a lower compression motor, such as Turbo, there is more chance of "blow-by" which in situations where there is un-burnt fuel (which exists in all gasoline engines, hence the need for cat converters and EGR valves) will mix with the oil. It’s hard to get the Air/Fuel mix right in a turbo setup because of the volatile changes in intake manifold pressure. All this adds up to my original statement that Turbo motors are dirty and gas smell in the oil of a turbo motor is just a fact of life.

They are notorious with all the people I know who work on cars and I know allot of people (except yours for some miracle reason) for going through oil quicker than any other setup. The main contributing factors to oil being spent are: Cooked by the extreme heat of the turbo, and running a close second is Gas in the oil.

You should ask around before making asumptions or arguing with such limited experience.

300bucks
Car: 1988 Conquest Ls1 powered

Last time I changed my oil, it smelt like gas alot. The car had a FPR on it when I bought it, so I took it off. Now it doesn't seam to run as rich and the gas smell has drasticly decreased. However on hard acceleration, I can smell gas...? It souldn't be running rich, I need the check my injectors/ compression. BTW whats good comp for SR's I'm guessing 150~ish?

IanS

SR20Essex

I agree with you whole heartedly, all 7 of my cars have had a scent of gas in the oil, even when I do oil changes on my moms 07 Ford Fuzion it too has a scent of gas to the oil.

300bucksthe FPR that you had on the car when you bought it may not have been tuned for the correct fuel pressure, and that is why it smelled so much like gas.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”