Where is the block heater cord ?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
morning_glory
Car: EX35

Hi

Weather forecast for next night is -32C here so I decided to plug the block heater of my EX. Surprise! I opened the hood and I can't find the cord.Check in my contract and block heater is supposed to be there.

Does anybody know where the cord should be located (probably wrapped somewhere…)

Thanks

Ogiku
Car: Infiniti EX35,

have the same issue here. Even my cardealer did not now were to find that cord. A Service guy sad its somwhere deep in the Engine Room towards the front of the car?

morning_glory

I called my car dealer few minutes ago and he didnt know either..

QXFiddy
Car: QX-50

Hi all,

I just spent the better part of an hour going from my computer to my QX50 several times with a flashlight trying to find it. I am a lot more intimate with the undercarriage as a result. The best place to hide something is within plain sight, and the block heater plug is no exception. I finally spied the 2 to 3ft cord wound up sitting atop the engine compartment on the driver side in-between the engine block and the side of the car. The cord is wrapped in that black plastic flexible protector with the 3 prong plug/cover at the end. Couldn't believe it was just sitting there. I'll try to post a pic later. Now I just have to figure out how to get it down and through the grill as it looks as daunting as Skywalker's run through the Death Star. There is a hole down at the bottom I can easily get it to but don't think I want to have the plug exposed just above the ground so I will target the grill. That's a job for tomorrow.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

QXFiddy wrote:Hi all,

I just spent the better part of an hour going from my computer to my QX50 several times with a flashlight trying to find it. I am a lot more intimate with the undercarriage as a result. The best place to hide something is within plain sight, and the block heater plug is no exception. I finally spied the 2 to 3ft cord wound up sitting atop the engine compartment on the driver side in-between the engine block and the side of the car. The cord is wrapped in that black plastic flexible protector with the 3 prong plug/cover at the end. Couldn't believe it was just sitting there. I'll try to post a pic later. Now I just have to figure out how to get it down and through the grill as it looks as daunting as Skywalker's run through the Death Star. There is a hole down at the bottom I can easily get it to but don't think I want to have the plug exposed just above the ground so I will target the grill. That's a job for tomorrow.
Does the EX35 in USA come standard with heater block? I know this topic was discussed before, but no one ever posted a picture of the location.

Thanks!

CalgaryDan
Car: 2014 QX50 Journey AWD

QXFiddy wrote:Hi all,

I finally spied the 2 to 3ft cord wound up sitting atop the engine compartment on the driver side in-between the engine block and the side of the car. The cord is wrapped in that black plastic flexible protector with the 3 prong plug/cover at the end. Couldn't believe it was just sitting there. I'll try to post a pic later. Now I just have to figure out how to get it down and through the grill as it looks as daunting as Skywalker's run through the Death Star. There is a hole down at the bottom I can easily get it to but don't think I want to have the plug exposed just above the ground so I will target the grill. That's a job for tomorrow.
The dealer showed me the bundle exactly where you describe it. I could not route it through any openings so I just pop the hood open, connect the plug to an extension cord and then lower the hood until it just engages (same position as when you pop it from inside the car). Since I have to unplug the car in the morning anyway, I don't mind closing the hood all the way.

CalgaryDan

CalgaryDan wrote:
QXFiddy wrote: I could not route it through any openings so I just pop the hood open, connect the plug to an extension cord and then lower the hood until it just engages (same position as when you pop it from inside the car). Since I have to unplug the car in the morning anyway, I don't mind closing the hood all the way.
3 weeks since my last post and we've had harsh and brutal weather with temps at or below -20 (Deg C) almost every night. Good thing I have the block heater plugged in, it allows the car to warm up a lot faster. The OEM battery is barely adequate so I think I'll buy an good aftermarket unit. Has anyone had experience with the Odyssey battery?

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Who is the dealer for Odyssey batteries?

Looks like a decent battery.

I always go for the COSTCO Batteries. Costco is in every City and their warranty follows it no matter where you go.

Let us know what you did.

CalgaryDan

I couldn't find an Odyssey dealer close to home but I found the MotoMaster Eliminator AGM at Can Tires. I installed it (you have to dismantle the entire battery bay to swap batteries) and now the engine cranks over and starts immediately whether I plug the car or not.
Dismantling the plastic bits that form the battery bay is very easy, all the parts are clipped and come off without tools. To retain all the programed convenience settings, I plugged my battery charger into the power access point before disconnecting the battery.

ralfp
Car: 2014 QX50

Just asked the service guy at the dealership about this (pointing out that the specs for the new QX50 listings include "Block Heater"). He said there is none in my car (fully loaded QX50 Journey AWD purchased in NY but originally shipped to a dealer in MA). I had previously looked for the cord, but did not find one. Oh well.

AXY
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 AWD

I bought a used 2010 EX35 last month, and in Canada block heaters are required to be equipped. But I could not find it at all. When I asked the previous owner, he asked me "What is block heater?". Fine...

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

I found it exactly where described. It is a bundle of wires wrapped in a protective black plastic sleeve. I took pictures but can't post pictures, or don't know how. If needed pm me and I'll email you the pictures. (On it, a screw driver is touching it, pointing at it, easy peasy).

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

CDNicecube wrote:I found it exactly where described. It is a bundle of wires wrapped in a protective black plastic sleeve. I took pictures but can't post pictures, or don't know how. If needed pm me and I'll email you the pictures. (On it, a screw driver is touching it, pointing at it, easy peasy).
I would love to see a picture. (PM Sent Also). I dont know if my EX has one (2011 Base - Almost every option) but it was purchased in NY and stayed in NY all its life.

Chelsea John

I too have a couple of pics of where mine is but there doesnt seem to be any easy way to add attachments here. Anyone know how to do this ??
Thanks....

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

to put up photos here, you'll need create/use an account at a photo hosting site (such as photobucket or flickr), upload the image files to that site, and link the images to your post here on Nicoclub.

See here: how-to-post-pictures-using-photobucket-t521110.html

Chelsea John

Thanks NJGuy. Lets see if this works... :)

first pic is of the block heater cable coiled and tucked next the right ( looking from the front ) air intake pipe.
second a slightly closer shot arrow pointing to the power connector.

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

So I came to the conclusion that I do not have a Block heater built in. My 2011 EX35 Base was purchased originally in Long Island NY, and then traded in and I purchased it from my local Infiniti Dealer in Latham NY.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Chelsea John wrote:Thanks NJGuy. Lets see if this works... :)

first pic is of the block heater cable coiled and tucked next the right ( looking from the front ) air intake pipe.
second a slightly closer shot arrow pointing to the power connector.
Nice! Thanks for sharing the photos. Like they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

:worthless:

Mothball
Car: 2016 infiniti Q50

GREAT QUESTION. THEY DO NOT EXIST!
I BOUGHT A 2016 Q50 ON JUNE 28 2016 AND STILL DO NOT HAVE A BLK HEATER CORD.
THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT AVAIALBLE YET ! HOW CAN THAT BE IN THE MIDDLE OF OCTOBER.
WE ARE GETTING SCREWED!

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”