what does FL100A fuse do ? HELP ASAP

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
etmoron

so im driving on the highway and then out of nowhere when i rev the lights on the gauges gets brighter and then the battery and brake warning lights come on and then sooner or later the gauges would die and everything else but the car would still b running. and im liek thats odd. and was also monitoring the battery voltage thru the SafcII that i had it was around 10 or 9 Volts.

so i pull over and then fiddled with my battery and that wasnt it , so then i tapped on the fuse box and everythign went back to normal. so im like wth . then i saw this one fuse that looked like a box . it was marked FL100A and it had electrical tape aroudn it to hold it down i guess * previous owner * so i messed around with it and it seemed the connection was very loose and that was the problem .

what does that fuse do ?

also then when that happened this relay right under the steering column start buzzing like crazy . right when you look under it there are two relays , one black and one yellow . the black one is buzzing like crazy even tho the car is dead.

WHAT DO I DO ???

also i think the battery is low to begin with so do i just change that ?

The Mic
Car: 3Z Wmb

I dont see a fuse fl100a in the fsm:

BaliLover

Which box is it located in, the one on the driver or the one on the passenger? It may not be a fuse, it could be a master link or a circuit breaker

PoorManQ45

Well, I fuse is there to make sure that you don't kill yourself via either flames, or battery acid

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

agreed, the mic posted a pic of the fuse panel inside the drver side kick panel... we need the pics of the fuse panel in the engine compartment...

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

etmoron wrote:also i think the battery is low to begin with so do i just change that ?
take your car to autozone for a free load test of the battery, make sure u got good connections/ grounds 1st < simple stuff 1st to rule it out> heck, they can check your alternator's health while they're out in the parking lot...

Quote » it had electrical tape aroudn it to hold it down i guess * previous owner * so i messed around with it and it seemed the connection was very loose and that was the problem[/quote]hehe, remined me of a reply i said in here:zerothread?id=145226

etmoron

the fuse is in the engine compartment on the passenger side. i went to nissan to see if there was a screw under it or whatnot to hold it down .

the tech guy / parts guy said yeah there are two screws holding it down so i go ok lemme buy them and he goes well, we dont sell them . and im WTF .

so i checked my fusebox well under it. i have to phillips head scews . they are tight but for some reason the fuse doesnt get any connection at all .

i need my car to go to work and stuff and this STUPID FUSE is messin me up big time.

dfw240_EE
Car: 1992 240SX

Could the fuse be outright blown? From the name "FL100A" that sounds like a 100A fuse, which is frickin huge. That has to be for like the alternator or some piece of the ignition. I am going to pour over the FSM some before I get to bed. That is stickied at the top if you wish to do the same.

Are you referring to what is listed as "Fuse and relay box A" in this picture?

Or is it located somewhere underneath that?

http://nissaninfiniticlub.net/...e.JPG
Modified by dfw240_EE at 2:57 AM 11/26/2005

The Mic
Car: 3Z Wmb

ricebike wrote:agreed, the mic posted a pic of the fuse panel inside the drver side kick panel... we need the pics of the fuse panel in the engine compartment...
It's in the FSM, http://www.zeroyon.com/index/content/view/24/47/

Chezedik
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

FL = fusible link; 100A = 100 Amp; The fused link for the alternator.

Chezedik
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Also, if you were wondering, you need to energize the stator windings before you can make power. So you need to have input from the battery. There is why it is there.

PoorManQ45

Chezedik wrote:FL = fusible link; 100A = 100 Amp; The fused link for the alternator.
Wow, the 240 has a low output alternator. It's no wonder that people keep showing up in the electronics section asking, "where can I get a HO alternator"

dfw240_EE
Car: 1992 240SX

Well, quick off the wall calculation says that is a 1.2kW to 1.4kW alternator (P = VI, V is 12V to 14V I is 100A), which is just shy of 2HP. That is even neglecting inefficiencies inherent in the system The Q45 has power to spare, but a large alternator would draw too much from our little 155HP engine. Unless you don't mind that, in the case of some audiophiles.

KFL
Car: S14

autozone has them . mine looked like it was slightly burnt.. I don't remember screwdriver or a 10mm socket. IIRC it was remove one bolt then pull up the panel to expose the screw on the side holding the fuse in.To check its easy, has a plastic window to view[=] if its broken its dead, if its burnt its going out.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”