Versa Steering Assembly - KLUNK!!

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Versa*chic
Car: Nissan Versa

Anyone have a Versa w/ steering assembly issues? I have had repeat repairs 8-10 with reoccurance again and found others at dealership with same problem. Contact with Nissan and state for Lemon Law protection/buy back...need feedback....

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

My nearest dealer didn't notice it. Another dealer also couldn't reproduce the klunk.

Sometimes I notice it more than others. I might be starting to get used to it. Next time I'm near the dealer, I'm going to test drive another Versa for comparison for a personal sanity check... although my wife has heard it.

Oh.. and while changing oil, I looked under the clutch houseing and I noticed a little bit of oil residue there. Hmmm... that's not good. I haven;t seen drops on the driveway, so maybe it's just road grime.

Oh... and I lost 2 wheel covers last week after rotating my tires. I've roated tires a dozen times on 3 different cars and never lost wheel covers afterwards.

Sometimes I really like my Versa, other times I have to admit it's a cheap POS and I wish I still had my '03 Toyota Corolla.

NorCal_V
Car: 2008 Versa Sedan S

What is actually happening with your steering assembly? The only descriptor I see is "Klunk".

arco

motoguy - By any chance, was your dealer testing your car first thing in the morning, or on a cold day? Each time I brought mine in for an early appointment, they couldn't find anything.

I've since noticed that the klunk only happens when the car is warmed up after a few hours of driving... or after sitting out in the afternoon heat. It's very noticeable when making slow right turns (never left ones). I can pretty much reproduce it on cue now. On my car, it isn't just a noise... I can feel something klunking when I turn the steering wheel.

Lately I just haven't had time to leave my car with the dealer for an entire day, but I guess I will have to soon.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I had the "klunk" when turning right at about 1 1/4 wheel turns. You could feel 2 klunks in the steering wheel. They replaced my steering joint assembly early last month. Haven't noticed it again.

Here's a long thread from a little while ago about this issue.zerothread?id=321954

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

motoguy128 wrote:My nearest dealer didn't notice it. Another dealer also couldn't reproduce the klunk.

Sometimes I notice it more than others. I might be starting to get used to it. Next time I'm near the dealer, I'm going to test drive another Versa for comparison for a personal sanity check... although my wife has heard it.

Oh... and I lost 2 wheel covers last week after rotating my tires. I've roated tires a dozen times on 3 different cars and never lost wheel covers afterwards.
Hey, I too sometimes here the 'klunking' noise. I have noticed it as I am turning the wheel all the way (left or right). It is actually a very weird sound.How did you lose your wheel covers? Do you mean your rims or hub cabs?

Versa*chic

Took a couple of times to duplicate (in beginning difficult) for dealership then they went into the column/assembly with a sound locater because it was so difficult to isolate. Also found after mishap that torque spec's are critical to repair or once again sounds worse as if to fall apart. I did test run a 2008 after 3 repairs to prove it was back again and to verify my sanity and then another repair done. Started in July of 2007 after purchase in May with numerous visits/repairs and has not been resolved to date. Another customer has had 6-8 repairs and they replace the assembly, upper and lower and it comes back. New customer twice repaired last week but not back yet. All end up returning with repeat issue assured it was fixed and also that no safety hazard?!?!

Versa*chic

Turn to right straighten steering wheel and it sounds and feels like a knuckle popping and it progressively gets worse or more frequent....

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Take a look at the Nissan Service Bulletins... NTB-094 for Versa.

versaphile
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL H/B & 2005 Nissan X-Terra S

I personally have never noticed it, there was a recall on strut bearings...I sell for Nissan so you might ask your dealer about any open recalls. Mine were replaced for free when they were slow.

NorCal_V
Car: 2008 Versa Sedan S

Could possibly be the CV shaft. In which case it would be warrantied.

Versa*chic

I am glad you have not had the nightmare I have had and unfortunately no positive comments to be shared about the way Nissan has dealt with the issue from clients with the same problem to dealers and techs that have repeatedly said that repairs do not solve this issue and strut bearings ruled out. I will continue to seek justice and protection in my state after 3 steering assembly components, a stereo, brakes replaced and time and energy wasted. More than 10 -12 visits to repair to a 2007 Versa... and problem exists again!

Versa*chic

At this point and after final review of all repairs including a few that were not to the steering assembly I am at a loss, and in the second phase with BBB Autoline Nissan... BEWARE Nissan buyers, they are not as anxious to assist as they are to sell you that car and stay within your rights and repairs of your warranty with documentation!!

puttputtinpup
Car: Nissan Versa 2007

Versa*chic, we just took our car to the Nissan place today. We have had the klunking in the front end and another issue with the steering wheel....some noise and weird feel on the floor board under the pedals when turning the wheel. More noticeable when it's the car is cold and less when warmed up. Klunking while sitting still and rocking the steering wheel back and forth. Can noticed corresponding knocking like feel in the floor if you put your feel on the floor behind the pedals. It feels like the rack & pinion steering is loose. The technician said there was a bulletin out on it for the strut bearings to solve the klunking while driving, and a bulletin on the steering column for the knocking feel/sound in the steering wheel. When the parts come in, we will make an appointment to replace both strut bearings and the steering column. What all have they replaced on yours?

darkwind25
Car: 08 versa SL HB.full tech package

We have a versa up here with not so much a klunk,,(but more a sproing sound) When you have it in the shop,get them to check the spring seat on the right hand strut.we've noticed a couple of them sound like the spring is binding up when your making a turn.We've done the bearings and everything else on this one versa and that didn't solve her problem.It sounded like it was coming from under the vehicle,by her feet.We got our tech to make it happen only at slow speeds ,when turning and having the right wheel going over a slight bump.

Hope fully this will help some.

puttputtinpup

What I feel under my feet when I turn the wheel is kinda like a crunch/scrape feel. Almost like the adjustment on a regular steering box rear wheel drive car that is too tight and when you rotate the steering wheel, you fell some resistance at some points. On our Versa, it seems to be at about 90 degree intervals as you turn the steering wheel. I don't feel nor hear the boing you're talking about.

Versa*chic

Well the nightmare continues and I am now on my way to the Atty. Generals Office in Florida. The BBB Autoline Arbitration was a joke and I was warned of this by lemon law atty but have to go this process first. Notes left out on repairs - could not duplicate on test drive, same as dealership a few times before repairs (but they would not let me drive the car for them to see when I experience) and really has been just a David and Goliath scenario. The strut mount bearing is what the bulletin is about and that was not my issue (ruled out by Nissan Maufacturer). I have had 3 steering assembly replacements, 16 days in service (8-10 for this one issue) which has malfunctioned again. Since intermittent yet obvious when occurs they use Chassis Ears for a definitive diagnosis but I don't need them. My sound is like a knuckle popping and only to the right. This all started 2months after I purchased in 5/07. I was informed of others in service with the same issue and the dealership is....let's say... hesitant to play an active part even though they keep filtering me info to back the claim. I have also been told that no recall since they can't "find the fix"!! Job security etc., told a huge deal when Man Tech comes to inspect a vehicle as they did mine on last (3rd) replacement. I have also had brakes replaced (I think a bulletin on that) when trying to locate issue and also a stereo that ate CD's. Now just an injustice and a test of my will. Nissan beware.... karma and the universe will prevail if not me!! This sucks big time and once again buyers BEWARE!!

puttputtinpup

Thanks for your input. I hope this isn't a taste of what we expect to experience in our situation. I'll be monitoring this thread for future developments. I will post information about our issues as well.

darkwind25
Car: 08 versa SL HB.full tech package

It must be just strongly american V's that have most of these problems.I've only heard of 2 here that are having any kinda problems like these.I'm not one of them, I read through all these posts and wipe my forehead and say thank god I'm not having a single problem with my V' ,like any of you are. But I guess when you drive it like I do. If any thing was going to happen it would have happened before now.I bought my V on Apr 3,2008 and I now have 42,985 kms on it.No brake problems,no suspension problems,no rattle or squeak problems.Maybe thats the problem you drive it enough for it to really settle in.

Just my opinion....so please don't shot me..

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Well, DW, maybe its something with crossing the 49th parallel! Most of us seem to have missed the extremely faulty cars *

* we'll exclude longo and DI from this list

Versa*chic

Well, I had researched before purchase and found manufacturer in Mexico (thought of the Tequilla song, uh oh) and kind of apprehensive but thought Nissan would stand behind regardless. There obviously might be something to your claim but not much to do on that one. I am pasting a couple of articles in this reply and Tiida manufactured China, Thailand, Japan sooo... I am going for a siesta now... maybe they should have taken one at the plant when assembling my car!?! We all know what sleep deprivation can do to the bodeo....errr.... thanks for the feedback everyone....

http://wikicars.org/en/Nissan_Tiida

http://findarticles.com/p/arti...36317

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

Yeah, I love the sound! Especially when I have students in the car and they look at me and say........"is that normal" and I say.......according to the dealer....YES! I had it in for an anual safety check and they noticed some bushings were worned down. They changed this and it helped but I still hear the noise and I still feel it under my feet on the passenger seat.

Oh well...........

Versa*chic

If nothing else you have the reassurance that it is heard by others and your judgement is not in question as with friends and family aware of my issue. Safety and resale is of concern to me and that of which is also a basis for persuing the Lemon Law protection. I am really kicking my self in a # of body parts for putting $5000 down on my Versa. I have requested, inwriting that safety will not be a question, to no avail, yet to persue resale value with the repair of three steering assemblies within a year and it still defective, it makes me shutter to hear what response would be...I do hope you consider follow-up with your dealer as I only see a shift in response based on enough Versa owner's bringing an obvious defect of a major component dealer/manufacturers attention. Hope it does not come to someone being injured or worse but then again that seems to be the only way something is ever addressed. Please be cautious w/transport being your business and appreciate input, fealing sooo weary of this....

Slither

I'm not worried about klunk no reports of any V front ends falling off.

Any car I've had is 'money blown.'

And I'm dam sure there are plenty of more expensive cars than the V with annoying idiosyncrasies.

I don't look for perfection - it don't exist anywhere.

Its a klunk world - America is klunked - Bush is a klunked president etc etc.

Versa*chic

Well Slither, I guess blowing money on a NEW car inexpensive or otherwise that has had multiple reapairs, possible safety or defect issues is not of concern to you but I don't have that luxury and I don't accept that as a reason be inconvenienced or otherwise. Anyone assuming perfection when purchasing a vehicle is sadly proved that there is NO SUCH thing but you are entitled to your opinion, regardless of it's misdirection. Call the Whitehouse and ask for George....RAWK ON!!

puttputtinpup

Slither wrote:I'm not worried about klunk no reports of any V front ends falling off.

And I'm dam sure there are plenty of more expensive cars than the V with annoying idiosyncrasies.

Why did you even bother to write anything, if you didn't really have anything to say? If you live in Canada, what business is it of yours to express an opinion about my President? I paid good money for my car, and yes, we expect better then what we have. I didn't klunk when I test drove it, so I don't expect it to klunk now. They said they're going to fix it, so If it isn't after they work on it, we'll go from there.

Versa*chic

RIGHT ON!!

Versa*chic

Article on Yahoo News

Nissan recall - Serena / Tiida FYI

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...ecall

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

That article has nothing to do with the a recall on the clunking issue. Has anyone seen anything that indicates Nissan has acknowledged there is a problem, and offers a permanent solution?
Slither wrote:I'm not worried about klunk no reports of any V front ends falling off.

A noise and felt clunking sensation in a car's suspension or steering system is not an idiosyncrasy. Any prudent driver that ignores sounds and abnormal behavior in a vehicles suspension or steering is irresponsible, as this type of noise can indicate problems that could lead to failure, resulting in loss of control.

We are talking about new vehicles here, less than two years old, most with few miles on them. The expectation is not perfection, merely reliable and safe operation of a new car. Not an unreasonable expectation.

Versa*chic

I am aware that the recall was not directed at the Nissan Versa steering issue although posted as more of a heads up than anything since this is the Versa/Tiida Forum. No confusion meant....

Yes, Nissan aware that there is a problem and can't determine the permanent solution so they do repetitive repairs and that is why there has not been a recall. This explanation was given to me by the dealership who expressed just as much frustration as the customers who have to return over and over again to no avail. I was also told not a safety issue in arbitration w/BBB autolline because vehicle will shut down before anything major would happen per Tech sent from Nissan. Well I feel that would be a major safety issue in itself. My request in writing that supports this claim that all is safe has yet to materialize. Imagine that....

Heading to Atty Gen office and Div of Consumer Serv just approved my eligibilty for arbitration, so I will see what goes down. I think it might have been a bit crazy when they received 53 pages of documentation (not all of it either). I appreciate your comments and it is precisely why I continue to pursue this..

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”