Experience with a "klunk" when turning steering wheel???

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
sstcobra
Car: 2008 Versa SL

Hi, I am new to this forum since we purchased a 2008 SL with CVT.

Has anyone experienced a "klunk" or perhaps binding when turning the steering wheel?

On my car, it happens very loudly after the steering wheel has been rotated from the full clockwise (right hand turn) and is being returned to the straight ahead postion. The klunk is always there at 1 to 1 1/4 turn from the full clockwise stop.

The car only has 700 miles. I am not sure if it is binding of the tie rod ends to within the steering rack and pinion, but before I go back to the dealer, I would like to find out if anyone else has found this and what you did about it?

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

I started noticing it the first week I owned it. Mine happen when I go over a large bump wiht hte steering wheel turned. It seems ot come from the left side of the car. At first I thought it was related to the electric power steering, but now I think it's related to an engine mount or more likely a problem with the strut mount or ball joint.

I too kit to the dealer and the roads there were smoother and the car was warmed-up so i could not reproduce it even after 20 minutes of looking for the largest bumps I could find. Even when it occured, only I could feel it. Nissan at least has it on record, so if there's a failure even after the warranty period, I still might have a valid claim.

I'll have them look at it again whenever I get around to having my passenger airbag connector replaced under the recall. I live 50 minutes frmo my dealer, so I can't just drop it off in the morning and come back at the end of the day. I might wait until summer when I can tow my motorcycle there, then ride it home and to work all week.

My wife has also noticed it when riding in the passenger seat. It's slowly gottne a little nore noticeable.

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

motoguy128 wrote:I started noticing it the first week I owned it. Mine happen when I go over a large bump wiht hte steering wheel turned. It seems ot come from the left side of the car. At first I thought it was related to the electric power steering, but now I think it's related to an engine mount or more likely a problem with the strut mount or ball joint.

I too kit to the dealer and the roads there were smoother and the car was warmed-up so i could not reproduce it even after 20 minutes of looking for the largest bumps I could find. Even when it occured, only I could feel it. Nissan at least has it on record, so if there's a failure even after the warranty period, I still might have a valid claim.

I'll have them look at it again whenever I get around to having my passenger airbag connector replaced under the recall. I live 50 minutes frmo my dealer, so I can't just drop it off in the morning and come back at the end of the day. I might wait until summer when I can tow my motorcycle there, then ride it home and to work all week.

My wife has also noticed it when riding in the passenger seat. It's slowly gottne a little nore noticeable.
Recently, I went ot my Nissan dealer with a klunking issue when I was turning and went over a bump or dip in the road. They decided to replace the steering joint assembly when they noticed that it had excessive play in it. Now, the klunk is history!!

motoguy128

Excellent! Good to hear someone found the source. It seemd like a part was loose and made a noise as it bound up slightly when the suspension was articulated through a wide range of motion.

I'll push my dealer to replace that part.

It this just the heim join on the tie rods?

Do you have a copy of the warranty repair invoice or part number that was replaced?

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

motoguy128 wrote:Excellent! Good to hear someone found the source. It seemd like a part was loose and made a noise as it bound up slightly when the suspension was articulated through a wide range of motion.

I'll push my dealer to replace that part.

It this just the heim join on the tie rods?

Do you have a copy of the warranty repair invoice or part number that was replaced?
Yup!! The invoice says FP Number 48080-EM00A Joint Assy- Stee(ring). I hope that helps those afflicted with the Klunk.

KKaWing
Car: Versa SL Sport

My previous car also had made a klunk while turning the wheel full on (ex: backing out the drive way). Turns out to be an under torqued strut tower bolt... the main huge one in the middle.

Just in case the standard recall didn't fix the klunk.

Driving Instructor
Car: 2007 nissan versa SL CVT Red

Hey,

I hear it all the time except when I have a repair man in the car with me. It's not consistent and it pisses me off!

It's the same, when I turn to the right................

If someone can tell me how to simulate the noise, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Good luck with that. I have the same issue. Couldn't reproduce it and the dealer took my car out to try and reproduce it multiple times. They popped it up on the lift and did a full check (I know the general manager personally so he made sure it was done) and they couldn't see anything wrong at all. I'm just going to live with it for now since the dealer is about 50 miles from my house and is a pain to get to. I'm just going to have them check it again in a couple of years while the car is still under warranty.

S14-NEO
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx RB25 NEO powered

i just had a versa in my bay today with similar issues..made a klunking noise when steering...as it turns out it was the strut bearings...because of the location of the strut plates under the overhang of the windshield the water runoff does comeinto contact with it...so it rusted on the car i was working on...i replaced the bearings and strut plates on both sides and teh problem was gone.. if you ask me it is a very poor design courtesy of renault. this design reminds me of the older quests that had similar problems. hope this helps

sstcobra

Here is how I can make the klunk:

Car in idle and park. Turn the steering wheel all the way clockwise.

Slowly turn the steering wheel counterclockwise. My car will go klunk in 1 to 1.25 full revolutions of the steering wheel.

Always does it when cold. Have not warmed the car up often enough to see if it happens when always warm. Goes back to the dealer on Thursday for work.

S14-NEO

have someone turn the wheel and you go and inspect the springs put your hand on the springs through the wheel well..if it is the spring perch aka sturt bearing you will be able to feel the klunking that i was referring to in the spring itself....also make sure you check both left and right springs on the front struts.

sstcobra

Just did as you instructed and I have the klunk on the drivers side only. Wife off to drop the car at the dealer. Will let everyone know what they found.

Find it hard to believe I have the problem you describe with 750 miles on the car.....but it is what it is.........

S14-NEO

the one i just had only had 4000miles on it so i can understand where your coming from there...i truely think its a poor design that renault had alot of influence with

sstcobra

Problem solved.

Just picked up the car. It turns out the nut which holds on the left side sway bar was missing and the sway bar was loose. Mechanic says he has seen this before. Says the nut was cross treaded on the bolt and came loose.

HE did seem familiar with the problem.

motoguy128

Hmmm.. great info in the thread. I might crawl under and take a look. Mine's been doing it since hte first week I owned it, but was never bad enough to mess with.

I will be a little pi**** off if it's a missing bolt, since they supposedly inspected the suspension when I mentioned a problem.

sstcobra

Here are the words from the service department paperwork:

"900 Conducted Sway Bar Link Passenger Front Position Service 3253 CN5"

Not sure if that helps or not.....but the verbal response from the service Manager is that the sway bar link nut was missing and the bolt was cross threaded.

No more klunk......took it to Starbucks this morning.......Gary

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Yea, they put mine on a lift and said everything was fine. Where exactly under the car should I be looking for this nut?

sstcobra

Tell them to look at the nuts and bolts that hold on the sway bar end link. One side of the link should be bolted to the frame. One side should be connected to the sway bar. FYI......I have not touched this part myself on the Versa, but if you locate the sway bar, you should be fine from there.

occckid123
Car: 2008 Nissan versa SL CVT

I have a versa with the klunk noise when turnig also. The dealer replaced the sway bar. The problem was still there. They then said it was the strut assemble mount. After this job is done; do anyone know if the car is supposed to get a wheel allignment?

equlizer
Car: Nissan Versa SL with SVT tranny

I started experiencing this a few days ago and im just over 30,000kms. I have bumper to bumper warranty till 160,000 so ill just take it in and drive the courtesty car

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

I had my V in the shop last week for the exact same problem. When turning right, there is a clunk. It is felt more than heard. It is worse when going slow and especially when backing out of the driveway, or pulling away from a stop sign and turning right. Car has 14k now.

Dealership had it for two days and claims to not be able to duplicate. I even drove around with the tech and pointed it out. The tech claimed he checked all of the bolts and all are tight. They did not find or fix the problem. Still clunks. Very frustrating and will obviously require more trips to the dealership. Next time, I will print out this thread and bring it to them, as there may be several different possible causes.

This forum is great!

equlizer

my clunk is only when the wheels are straight and i slightly turn left to right. After its past those points, it doesnt clunk at all. Sounds like mine may be a different problem.. Also i cannot hear it outside of the car, only inside.

dc9mm
Car: 2008 Versa

Hi everyone Iam new to the forum. Havent yet bought a Versa. Most likley next week will be getting one. I have been reading all the threads to see if this car has any major problems. I found on a forum a complete Versa 2007 pdf service manual. I looked at the suspension and thought i would post what the suspension looks like and were the sway bar link is and the bolts for it. Hope this helps. I used to be a auto tech at a Chevy dealer back in the 80's and early 90's. Here is the picture.

equlizer

link to the forum pls?

also i was told today by my dealer that its the strut mounts that are cracked. Parts will be in next week. ill let you know.
Modified by equlizer at 5:04 PM 5/22/2008

Versa Blues
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Your problem sounds like a strut bearing failure. (Just like mine). My Nissan dealer is too incompetent to identify the problem and won't take my suggestion.

The strut bearing is a ball-bearing thrust bearing that carries the front of the car. It is at the top of the coil spring on the strut. It allows the spring to swivel freely when turning right or left. I think the damned thing is plastic, but not sure.

Mine also started after hitting a bump while turning with a loud POP! The noise is most pronounced after going over a speed bump or washboard road at moderate speed. Under these circumstances the strut is DEcompressing at the strut bearing experiences an abrupt reduction is loading (almost like going "weightless"). This allows the balls to shift and rattle about until the strut compresses again.

On a good bearing, there is a cage to keep the balls in position (I assume this based on bearing design principles...I'm a mechanical engineer that put myself through college as an auto mechanic). If this cage fails due to shock loading (hitting a bump while turning, for instance), a ball or few can be lost and the loading will be off-center...Hence, the occassional binding.

NOT ONE Nissan technician could step up to the plate to explain this. They only know what the books or computers tell them. Nissan corporate is dragging their heels too. I will probably buy the thing myself ($95 on line) and replace it myself. It's about a 45 minute job.

My Versa is a decent car but built very cheaply (you get what you pay for). I can live with that. I don't expect Mercedes-like performance at a Yugo price. I DO EXPECT a service organization that can service what they sell. NISSAN just AIN'T GOT IT ! (Not my first run-in with their service organization...but this car WILL be my last Nissan.)

And to answer another question I saw....YES after replacing a strut, camber MUST be checked on that side and toe-in re-done.

Versa Blues

Great advice! Real simple way to check a strut bearing and CONCLUSIVE, not DISPUTABLE. I love it. My compliments S14-NEO. Are you an auto mechanic or other tech-type? Thank you.

Versa Blues

And now for the latest. The Nissan "girls" at corporate did their homework and confided in me that they are "powerless" over dealerships! Is it because they don't have adequate knowledge to contradict their swaggering, idiot technicians or that they just "don't have the balls". I'm sorry but the way it used to be, a corporate rep could step in and "tell the dealership what to do" in a dispute. Or they jeopardize losing the franchise. NISSAN obviously puts the dollar ahead of the customer. It WILL catch up to them.

Pardon my "sexism" here. But these dealerships need a corporate overseer capable of lecturing like a "dutch uncle" and able to call them out on their BS. The women I had to deal with at corporate don't know a wrench from a screwdriver. How can they question a "know it all" service manager. He's had a couple courses in business management (maybe a college degree). So of course he knows everything about cars. This is the 'sad reality' of it all.

NISSAN warranties are USELESS to me. This WILL undoubtedly be my last NISSAN! I WILL FIX the stinkin' thing myself. That way the "butchers" can't start the dominoes game with me. (You know...fix one problem, create three more). Don't think it doesn't happen!!!

The $95 for the part will be cheap insurance to keep their stinkin' hands OFF the car. I can replace the part in the time it will take me to drive to and from the dealership.

I will KEEP my Versa. I believe it will be the "Japanese (Mexican) Edsel" of our era. Just like the Edsel, it appeals to a limited market who think it is so ugly it's cute. It is also riddled with more than its share of mechanical problems (like the Edsel). But Edsels are worth a lot of money today...because there were so few of them. (Didn't NISSAN idle the Versa plant in Mexico already? I thought I read something to that effect somewhere?)

Well, I'm going on line to buy my strut bearing, open up my tool box, and get my life back......signing off and good luck to all of you at the mercy of your local "butcher shops".

vincent_18
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

What are the torquing specs on these nuts????

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

occckid123 wrote:I have a versa with the klunk noise when turnig also. The dealer replaced the sway bar. The problem was still there. They then said it was the strut assemble mount. After this job is done; do anyone know if the car is supposed to get a wheel allignment?
I would like to hear from occckid123 if you had the strut assemble mount repaired and if this fixed the clunking noise.

I am still experiencing the clunk after two repair attempts at two different dealerships. No improvement. The second dealership claimed to have tightened some bolts but if they actually did, it didn't help. I guess I will have to print out this thread and present to the dealership to give them a clue on what to look for. I will followup with another post when I get my Versa back from the third repair attempt. Now I will go fill out my Nissan Service Survey that I got in the mail today.

boqibama
Car: 07 Versa 1.8L SL CVT

Sooner, which dealer did you go to? Bob Howard ?I am having the same problem and please give me your feedback from the dealer.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”