Tucked Engine Bay Thread!!

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Idahos13
Car: 93 240sx hatchback

Lets see those tucked engine bays!
Mine is not tucked.... :( but If someone would kindly explain how they did theirs I would like to give it a shot!
But here is a pic of Chasebays tuck.
and GO!

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

It just seems like a lot of rewiring in and around stuff

Idahos13

I would like to move the harness's but if I have to cut into them and extend them... I don't really feel comfortable doing that lol.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Man, this thread might be hotter than sex itself.

^ yeah I feel you on that

Razi
Car: Moo

Here's a few links.

ultimate-wire-tuck-guide-t403443.html

post4990854.html

One of the things you can do to make your engine bay cleaner is to put your injector harness under the intake manifold.
It's a bit time consuming though, since you also have to unplug a few stuff like the MAF and other plugs on that side.

Another thing you can do to make your engine bay neater is removing emissions stuff.
Once you remove your EGR, Carbon Canister, and other things, the only line for your FPR:

Then you just need to plug a pipe that comes out under the throttle body

There is also this upside down "V" hose on the manifold, you can plug it at the source (if the manifold is off the car), or the hardline it's attached to under the throttle body.

If you ever need vacuum line pictures, here's a good thread.
1991-1993-240sx-vacuum-line-identifying ... 81398.html

Idahos13

Thanks Razi! I have removed most of my emissions stuff already. But you posted some good info that will hopefully help someone else out if they are looking into cleaning there engine bay.
Now we need more people to post pics of their Tucked Bays lol.

pella
Car: 1995 240sx S14

I would love my engine bay to look nice and Neat like that. When i pulled and rebuilt my engine, we used as many stainless allen head bolts as possible when it all went back together. Looks pretty clean. I got a new (remanufacture) cyl head we didnt put the studs for intake mani but instead used the allens, wich will allow the top half of the mani to be removed for watever reason. Would have been nice earlier in this adventure.

Idahos13

Post pics! This thread needs pics or its gonna die!! lol

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

I forget who wrote it, but one of the know wiring harness specialties companies did a write up on the negative effects. Mainly added resistance and voltage drop of sensor wiring. I wish I had the link.

benz88
Car: 91 240sx

OutToWinPAHC wrote:I forget who wrote it, but one of the know wiring harness specialties companies did a write up on the negative effects. Mainly added resistance and voltage drop of sensor wiring. I wish I had the link.
makes sense on most parts, longer run of wire= more voltage drop. Same thing goes for Car Audio, thats why you go up a gauge in wiring for longer runs. :)

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

longer wire equals more resistance or depending on whats being driven Z (impedance). The resistance causes the voltage drop but some ECU's are calculating for that exact number so it's a bit hard to up the wire size in precision.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Even like a foot of wiring? what if you bumped the fuse up by 2.5 if you could

OutToWinPAHC

Overcurrent protection has nothing to do with impedance, especially when talking engine sensors who read in the millivolts and aren't fused anyhow.

Drakelee
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx RB20det
1986 Mazda RX7:for sale
1997 Ford Ranger:PitTruck<3

Iv been working on mine, there's nothing I love more than a clean a** engine bay, keeping it super simple, all motor. I started with the battery relocation, dropped the ac and ps, then tossed everything else I felt I didn't need, wiper fluid crap battery tray bunch of useless mounts, I move all the fuel stuff to the corner passenger side I.e filter regulator pressure sensor, rerouted all the vac hoses and fuel house using new hose. Pulled the entire harness eliminated any needless wires re wrapped it and re routed it mostly along the frame. Re located the fuse boxes and ran all the power and fuse related wires under the fender. I would love to get some chase bay stuff to really get a cleaner look, I have more future plans and its only going to get better.

FattyMcBaggins
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX

I don't have a KA, but I tucked away and rerouted a good bit of wiring in the engine bay, particularly the chassis harness, without having to actually cut and extend anything except for my 02 sensor wiring. But, that was mainly due to the length of the headers putting the collector pretty far away. I did cut all of the insulation off of the chassis harness, and then re-wrapped and rearranged where certain plugs popped out...you can rearrange and hide most of it without having to cut too much!

This box still needs to be tidied up

For the most part, you have to look to really find wiring...It's not perfect, or all that extreme, but it's definitely clean!

EvillE423

Don't get my wrong, a tucked engine bay does look clean as hell, but I just don't like how you can see all the little holes where everything used to be. If those were filled in then it would look a lot better, IMO.

BTW, I LOVE that color blue!! ^^

benz88
Car: 91 240sx

EvillE423 wrote:Don't get my wrong, a tucked engine bay does look clean as hell, but I just don't like how you can see all the little holes where everything used to be. If those were filled in then it would look a lot better, IMO.

BTW, I LOVE that color blue!! ^^
most of the time those holes do get welded up. Its just people dont always have the chance to right away

C3Sierra_S2000
Car: 1997 240SX SE LS swapped

Its an LS motor but this was my engine bay. Car was stolen so I don't know where it is now. I built a whole new harness for the front of the car. The engine harness comes from the firewall since the ECU is where the passenger airbag once was. The main fuse and relay panel was replaced with a much smaller unit and also placed in the air bag location. The new harness for the headlights, A/C, fogs, horns, and turns now runs down the passenger side through the fender support so none of it is seen.

Drakelee
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx RB20det
1986 Mazda RX7:for sale
1997 Ford Ranger:PitTruck<3

More recent pic!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”