Transmission Fluid Cooler for a Rogue S Special Edition?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Black B15

I have searched through the forum and from what I see some Rogue's did have a transmission oil cooler stock. I assume these would be the AWD Rogue's but I can't say for sure.

Reason why I am bringing it up is because I am really contemplating installing the Megan Racing header for the 07-12 sentra on my Rogue. From everything I can tell, it appears it will bolt right up to the engine and to our mid-pipe. As an added piece of insurance I thought I would go ahead and add a transmission oil cooler.

So, I am thinking the best option would be to find one that is a genuine Nissan part and fit it to my 2012 Rogue S Special Edition?

Thoughts? Or does anyone think just getting a generic tranny oil cooler and mounting it myself would be better?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

You may be confusing the stock tube cooler in the radiator with an auxiliary air cooler. I'm unsure of whether any Rogues have additional auxiliary coolers in line with the stock cooler in the radiator as part of an option or from the factory.

I am also quite wary of adding an auxiliary transmission cooler on a CVT (I assume your Rogue has a CVT, right?), since it might invalidate your warranty should you require it in the future.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

the only rogues that came with an aux tranny cooler were the ones AWD with paddle shifters. i have the 08 awd with paddle shifters and i can confirm i have a cooler.

i added a tranny cooler onto my maxima which had hard shifting after a hot day in traffic. the cooler helped to smoothe out the hard shifting.

here are a few pics:

i would suggest anyone add one, but you must understand that if you developed any unrelated tranny issues im almost positive nissan will blame you anyway. so prepare to have to remove the cooler when going back to nissan for tranny issues if you ever come across any.

jcircus
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I'm not sure that's true ImStricken... My 2012 AWD rogue has a tranny cooler, and is rated to tow 1500LBS (vs 1000LBS on the FWD rogue) without a paddleshifter. (they now have "Sport mode" button)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jcircus wrote:I'm not sure that's true ImStricken... My 2012 AWD rogue has a tranny cooler, and is rated to tow 1500LBS (vs 1000LBS on the FWD rogue) without a paddle-shifter. (they now have "Sport mode" button)
please confirm that with a photo of the cooler(im not testing you, i simply would love to learn that there are other rogues out there with coolers; i just would like to have the proof here for others to reference too)

here is pics of my 2008 awd with paddle shifters:

I ALSO MADE YOU GUYS A COOL LITTLE DIAGRAM FOR THOSE UNFAMILIAR WITH WHAT THIS DOES:

Black B15

That's what I thought ImStricken....that there were at least some submodel of Rogue that came with a tranny cooler.

So I would also assume that there should be a fairly easy place to tap into the tranny fluid so I can run the lines.

I actually have an oil cooler that I bought for my Sentra when I was going to go turbo. Ended up never using it and it is just sitting in my garage. It looks exactly like that one you installed in your maxima (size wise) and I am thinking I might just use that. I already have the hoses and everything needed depending on what is needed on the engine/transmission side.

Any chance you know, or have a pic of where I can tap into the tranny fluid? I am hoping there is the spot there, just capped or something since mine didn't come with one stock.

Anyway, I appreciate the input!
Last edited by Black B15 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black B15

jcircus wrote:I'm not sure that's true ImStricken... My 2012 AWD rogue has a tranny cooler, and is rated to tow 1500LBS (vs 1000LBS on the FWD rogue) without a paddleshifter. (they now have "Sport mode" button)
That may be good news for me with a 2012 Rogue S Special Edition, and I also have that "sport" button.

So I am hoping I can figure out where to run the lines FROM....anyone know where the feed and return lines tie into the transmission? I am hoping I can just tap into the stock spot if that is possible.

Thanks for the input!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Black B15 wrote:Any chance you know, or have a pic of where I can tap into the tranny fluid? I am hoping there is the spot there, just capped or something since mine didn't come with one stock.

Anyway, I appreciate the input!
was your sentra stick-shift?
if so then you didnt have a tranny fluid pump. you wouldnt have been able to use a tranny cooler

im gonna try and find time to get a pic from our car, but here is one from my maxima.

you gotta crawl under and find the lines coming from the tranny, and that go into the bottom of the radiator. one line is IN, one line is OUT. the banjo bolt is usually the OUT line.

here, read my thread here:
diy-nissan-maxima-transmission-cooler-i ... 54878.html

Black B15

The sentra was a stick yes, and the cooler was purchased for OIL rather than tranny. I was going to boost the sentra and had purchased an oil cooler for the motor oil and never used it.

Thanks man I will check out that thread.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Black B15 wrote:The sentra was a stick yes, and the cooler was purchased for OIL rather than tranny. I was going to boost the sentra and had purchased an oil cooler for the motor oil and never used it.

oh ok, then that makes sense lol :)
talking about your sentra, i gotta be honest, i had the 1999 nissan altima GXE with a 2.4L 5sp manual. i miss that car every day.

mine was all tinted out(unlike this):

what a great car.

jcircus

Sure i can get some pics,

Here is a diagram of the parts (for a 2011 SV) - http://www.mynissanpartstore.com/parts/ ... mCallOut=1

Black B15

jcircus wrote:Sure i can get some pics,

Here is a diagram of the parts (for a 2011 SV) - http://www.mynissanpartstore.com/parts/ ... mCallOut=1

That is awesome man, thanks a million!

Black B15

ImStricken wrote:
Black B15 wrote:The sentra was a stick yes, and the cooler was purchased for OIL rather than tranny. I was going to boost the sentra and had purchased an oil cooler for the motor oil and never used it.

oh ok, then that makes sense lol :)
talking about your sentra, i gotta be honest, i had the 1999 nissan altima GXE with a 2.4L 5sp manual. i miss that car every day.

mine was all tinted out(unlike this):

what a great car.
Here is a pic of my 2005 Sentra. I traded it in when I got the Rogue. I miss that little sucker but I like the fact that people don't try to race me in the Rogue! lol

Every time I get a new car it is like an artist getting a clean piece of canvas to paint on.

This is the BLCKB15

Had a header and full exhaust, catless. Short Ram intake, throttle body spacer and throttle body coolant bypass. Had an Unorthodox Racing lightweight and underdriven crank pulley and Unorthodox Racing lightweight flywheel. Megan oil catch can, dropped 1.5 inches on goldlines w/ KYB GR2's. 17" Azul Speed 7 Rims. Progress Rear Sway Bar, Megan Front strut brace, custom rear strut brace, lower tie bar, katzkin leather interior, shortened shifter, VIS Carbon Fiber Hood, Spec Sideskirts, Mach 1 front lip, blacked out upper and lower billet grilles, aftermarket black housing w/ clear corner headlights, blacked out tails and I ran a 50 shot of nitrous for a while with an SAFC II installed and tuned.

LONG list of stuff that I did to that car over a 7 year span. Bought it brand new and you can probably tell that I miss it like crazy. BUT, with a family the Sentra just wasn't practical anymore.

I had a buddy who had one of the Nismo Frontiers with the 4.0 or 4.5 or whatever it was. He would smoke me in a 1/4 mile so one time I asked him if he wanted to race through some twisties. Needless to say, I was sitting on my hood waiting for him for about 4 minutes by the time he caught up with me. I was like HEY, WHAT TOOK SO LONG?!! lol. Not the fastest but MAN I could swing through corners like crazy.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Black B15 wrote:Here is a pic of my 2005 Sentra. I traded it in when I got the Rogue. I miss that little sucker but I like the fact that people don't try to race me in the Rogue! lol

Every time I get a new car it is like an artist getting a clean piece of canvas to paint on.

This is the BLCKB15

Had a header and full exhaust, catless. Short Ram intake, throttle body spacer and throttle body coolant bypass. Had an Unorthodox Racing lightweight and underdriven crank pulley and Unorthodox Racing lightweight flywheel. Megan oil catch can, dropped 1.5 inches on goldlines w/ KYB GR2's. 17" Azul Speed 7 Rims. Progress Rear Sway Bar, Megan Front strut brace, custom rear strut brace, lower tie bar, katzkin leather interior, shortened shifter, VIS Carbon Fiber Hood, Spec Sideskirts, Mach 1 front lip, blacked out upper and lower billet grilles, aftermarket black housing w/ clear corner headlights, blacked out tails and I ran a 50 shot of nitrous for a while with an SAFC II installed and tuned.

LONG list of stuff that I did to that car over a 7 year span. Bought it brand new and you can probably tell that I miss it like crazy. BUT, with a family the Sentra just wasn't practical anymore.

I had a buddy who had one of the Nismo Frontiers with the 4.0 or 4.5 or whatever it was. He would smoke me in a 1/4 mile so one time I asked him if he wanted to race through some twisties. Needless to say, I was sitting on my hood waiting for him for about 4 minutes by the time he caught up with me. I was like HEY, WHAT TOOK SO LONG?!! lol. Not the fastest but MAN I could swing through corners like crazy.
wow thats a ton of work man!

believe it or not, i locally rally raced my altima LOL. i know, i know- sounds funny, but that thing was PERFECT. between size to weight to length ratio- it handled like a dream. (drop it into second, pull the e-brake to get it to slide, drop the e-brake, power out, and off you'd go.)
mmmm love that car! :) otherwise i didnt have any performance work on it. black steel stock wheels & tints was really it. (ill try and find some pics on my old comp for you)

jcircus

ImStricken wrote:
jcircus wrote:I'm not sure that's true ImStricken... My 2012 AWD rogue has a tranny cooler, and is rated to tow 1500LBS (vs 1000LBS on the FWD rogue) without a paddle-shifter. (they now have "Sport mode" button)
please confirm that with a photo of the cooler(im not testing you, i simply would love to learn that there are other rogues out there with coolers; i just would like to have the proof here for others to reference too)

These aren't the best pictures (taken with a cell phone), but as you can see there is a smaller black transmission cooler mounted in front of the aluminum radiator, on a 2012 SL AWD Rogue..

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jcircus wrote: These aren't the best pictures (taken with a cell phone), but as you can see there is a smaller black transmission cooler mounted in front of the aluminum radiator, on a 2012 SL AWD Rogue..
wow thats cool. whats your exact options package & year?

Qashqai

My 2011 SV AWD with Premium package also has this second radiator.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:My 2011 SV AWD with Premium package also has this second radiator.
you might be thinking of a condensor. its usually a silver radiator looking thing that sits in front of the normal engine coolant radiator.

the condenser is for the A/C r134a freon to cool down in after getting hot from being compressed.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Qashqai wrote:My 2011 SV AWD with Premium package also has this second radiator.
Mine too! I've got the same spec as you, so I guess it's standard on this trim level.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:
Mine too! I've got the same spec as you, so I guess it's standard on this trim level.
we dont know for sure if he's got one. technically the tranny cooler is the 3rd radiator in a series. :chuckle:

jcircus

well, if you want to get technical... the a/c condenser is not a radiator :biggrin: but thats just symantecs

the a/c condenser is quite large, and almost the same size as the radiator and silver in color. if what you have is black, and about 6" X 12" then that is the transmission cooler.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jcircus wrote:well, if you want to get technical... the a/c condenser is not a radiator :biggrin: but thats just symantecs

the a/c condenser is quite large, and almost the same size as the radiator and silver in color. if what you have is black, and about 6" X 12" then that is the transmission cooler.
Radiator: radiators are heat exchangers used to transfer thermal energy from one medium to another for the purpose of cooling and heating.

Condenser: a condenser is a device used to condense a substance from its gaseous to its liquid state, typically by cooling it.

idk about you, but to me: both items are used for the same purpose. cooling down something.
a hot liquid/gas goes in. its cooled by radiating the heat to the cooling fins, the cooling fins expel the heat. incoming air cools the fins, which in-result cool the liquid/gas = the liquid/gas exits to its intended job.

in the car world. intercooler, radiator, condenser, tranny cooler, differential cooler, oil cooler, are all called different names, but in reality they are all really the same(just different entrances & exits & ports).

ac condenser:

radiator:

intercooler:

tranny/differential/engine oil cooler:

jcircus

lol thats why I said it's just symantecs (they all do the same thing, with different names), but thanks for the lesson :D

Edit - I'm a dumbass and can't spell "Semantics" lolz

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jcircus wrote:lol thats why I said it's just symantecs (they all do the same thing, with different names), but thanks for the lesson :D

Edit - I'm a dumbass and can't spell "Semantics" lolz
i just wanted to show others, what we were chatting about ;)

jcircus

ImStricken wrote: i just wanted to show others, what we were chatting about ;)
Thats why I joined this particular forum! all the other "Rogue" forums suck ;)
I appreciate that most people here offer up more than just an opinion, but provide external facts, references and pics.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

jcircus wrote:
ImStricken wrote: i just wanted to show others, what we were chatting about ;)
Thats why I joined this particular forum! all the other "Rogue" forums suck ;)
I appreciate that most people here offer up more than just an opinion, but provide external facts, references and pics.

the image, couldnt be more true. and yes nico is a great place with mature folks. i love this forum

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

would this help on a 2015 rogue and would it help the vehicle last longer, or the transmission last longer? is it needed or not really, and do they have an aftermarket, or must you go to the dealership for this?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

engineer20 wrote:would this help on a 2015 rogue and would it help the vehicle last longer, or the transmission last longer? is it needed or not really, and do they have an aftermarket, or must you go to the dealership for this?
depends on your rogue. some came with a cooler, some didnt. you can have it installed anywhere you want. its only a few parts. its good if you plan to tow, live in hot climates, if you plan to keep the car past 150k. i installed a fan onto my separate transmission cooler radiator. i didnt want to chance it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”