CHATROOM: NICO Members Test Drive 2014 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mag318
Car: Nissan Rogue

My dealer got in a White SL AWD Rogue and this afternoon I took it for a spin. First off let me say I had a 2008 Rogue that was probably one of the best and most trouble free vehicles I've ever owned and the only vehicle I've ever kept for 5 years. Wanting something different I traded the 2008 Rogue last year for a 2013 Altima 3.5 SL. The Altima is a great car but I really miss the interior space of the Rogue and it's superb handling in snow. So I told my dealer to let me know when he got a 2014 Rogue in. First off the redesigned Rogue is a very attractive vehicle and I like what they did with the styling. The interior actually reminded me a lot of my current Altima as the IP and layout is quite similar, as was the same tan/beige color. Everything about the new Rogue is an improvement over the old, stepping into it for the first time the interior gives off a luxury feel. The interior wreaks of quality from the design and feel of the seats to the new panoramic roof. The tailgate is powered now and opens higher than my 2008, a nice touch. The engine is the same bulletproof 4 banger that has quite adequate power and the redesigned CVT is a perfect mate to it. Stepping on it to access a freeway the acceleration felt strong and I quickly got up to speed. The exhaust note bye the way was throaty so they apparently tuned the exhaust on the new model. The feel at highway speeds was confident and solid, the thing just feels good. Everything about the new Rogue felt good and the build quality was equal to my Altima, I think they are built in the same plant now. So after driving the Rogue I decided I'm going to buy one as soon as my dealer can order one with all the options I want. Anyone thinking about purchasing one I highly recommend a test drive as they seem to be showing up now. Nissan is going to sell a lot of these and I predict the Rogue will really cut into Murano sales, it's that nice.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:worthless:

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

Ok guys... So I swung by the local Nissan dealer today and saw that they had a 2014 Rogue SV AWD out front. I walked up to my salesman (the one that takes care of my family) and he gave me the keys... AWESOME.... So I got in and immediately noted more space in the driver's area and interior as a whole... I don't like the fact that it has a push button start (I like the turn key in the 1st gen Rogue because you don't have to have your foot on the brake, ie. you can be in the passenger's seat and still start the car) but if that's your thing, you'll like it...

Dual climate control is a definite plus and the LED map lights are bitter-sweet to me... They look cool, but don't shine directly downward (they are angled to the sides) so it was hard to see the little cargo area where the center console meets the dash under the climate control....

So I put it in drive and went off... Immediately I noticed a big difference when it came to bumps... Man this thing is smooth! Not only do you not feel most small/moderate bumps, but YOU DON'T EVEN HEAR THEM! That is a feat the 1st gen cannot say it accomplished... The steering, meh... The reviews all say it is "hefty", which it is, but it is not a night and day difference from how my Rogue felt brand new... I will say that it is hefty though, and does not give you the "electric steering" feather-light feel that the 2013 Altima has...

One important thing to note is that the halogen headlights ABSOLUTELY SUCK... When I pulled onto the street the salesman said, "put on the headlights." I said, "they are on." His response... "Oh." lol.... Nissan's halogen headlights are not the greatest somehow. My dad's 2010 Altima was horrible as well.

Anywho, I got on the highway and I was amazed at how quiet it was! I hit the gas, and the engine sound was much more muffled than my 2012 Rogue! I mean it... You hear the engine in the distance.... It doesn't compete with your radio like the 1st gen... Also quiet is road noise... I mean QUIET!!! If I can upload this short video I took I will, but you hear NOTHING while I'm on the highway...

Now onto the driving dynamics... Well, that's kind of tricky for me... I have already stated how smooth it rides, and that the steering feels "hefty" (which means good), but there was something, too "easy" about driving it... If you're confused about what that means, don't worry I am too. But what I think I mean is that there was not a lot of feedback in the steering. So its "hefty" but not really "connected" if that makes any sense. I feel more feedback in the steering of my 2012... Also, it feels more softly sprung than the 1st gen too. It FEELS bigger and softer, and while I didn't go crazy doing figure 8's on my test drive, in normal driving it almost feels a couple notches LESS agile than the 1st gen. Maybe it had something to do with the 17" rims with meatier tires than my 18 inchers with less meaty tires, or maybe because it is a little bigger and a little softer, it is a little less sporty as well?

I am going to test drive the 2014 SL AWD when they get one in also, to compare 18" rims to 18" rims, but my 2012 just keeps you a little more "in touch" with what it's doing while driving. At least that's my first impression.

I took a few pics comparing ride height, and from what I see in my pic, the 2014 almost looks like most of it is a little higher off the ground than the 2012, or at least just as high, which I'm happy about... However, in my other pic you can see how the front clip of the 2014 is lower than the 2012 which I'm not so happy about. It cuts down on how much you can actually use that high ride height if you can't get the front over whatever you need to... But yeah, overall I am happy with the car. The back seat is comfortable and ROOMY when positioned to your liking, and the 2014 has way more cargo room than the 1st gen! Anybody in the NY area looking for a 2014 Rogue, go to Koeppel Nissan in Queens and ask for Joe or Danny...

On to the pics:

Here is the vid... Sorry it's so short, it really doesn't show much... The original video is longer but my phone made me condense it....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBXqA8kY ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Last edited by followingnfront on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

followingnfront

DAMN YOU mag318!!! I was supposed to be the first one to post a test drive review!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:slap:

Whew, ok I feel better now.... Good review btw :cool:

Here is a link to my review from my test drive of a white (ironically) 2nd gen Rogue from today (with pics): post6531502.html#p6531502

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

great write up. i too want to check one out. maybe this weekend.

followingnfront

Thank you kind sir... You should, you'll like it...

I added the vid to my first post. It doesn't really show much because my phone made me cut it short to send it but w/e...

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

I doff my hat to you good sir! A most excellent review.

mag318

When the dealer called me I rushed right over, sorry I didn't have a camera. Do yourself a favor and don't drive one, because if you do you'll buy one. It takes a to impress me and the 2014 Rogue did just that. If the one I took for a spin would have been a better color than white I would have bought it on the spot. I'm waiting for a blue or slate SL AWD.

followingnfront

^ DO yourself a favor and wait a few months... Let them work out all of the inevitable bugs

followingnfront

Thank you very much kind sir!

mag318

The way these are just trickling out to dealers, I'm sure it will be a few months before my dealer can order one with specific options. For now he says he just has to take what they offer him. This is going to be a huge seller in 2014 as word gets out how nice they are.

mag318

Both my 2008 Rogue and my 2013 Altima have HID headlamps which really light up the road. I'd be disappointed if they are not an option on the new Rogue in the upper trim levels.

followingnfront

Yeah my dads Altima had halogens. The 2014 Rogue has LED low beams as an option on the SL not HIDs.

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

Nice write-up. Pretty sure I know what you mean about ride feedback.

I'll be interested in trying one with the LED headlamps. I have the HID's now and would never go back to halogens.

pmcrock
Car: 2003 Subaru Forester
2012 VW Golf

Very nice review, followingnfront. Mine will be much shorter. Test drove a '14 SV AWD this morning and never have driven a Rogue, or any Nissans for that matter, previously. Very comfortable seats, good back seat legroom. Engine was peppy and not too noisy, the CVT was relatively unnoticeable (which is good), ride was nice, handling was OK, but not as nimble as some in this class.

The two main drawbacks were the rear visibility (which was on par with most in this class, meaning poor), and the odd placement of the parking brake. I think the last vehicle I had with a floor-mounted parking brake was a '92 Ford Ranger (whose shifter was on the column and thus had no center console). It's placed where I usually rest my left foot. But I'm sure you end up adapting to something like that. I wouldn't rule the Rogue out yet (I rank it above CRV, Rav4, Sportage, Escape, & Outlander and on par with CX-5), but am leaning towards the Forester, and its outstanding rear visibility (along with good back seat legroom & peppy engine). Still also considering the Jeep Cherokee. I think, though, that Nissan will do very well with this version of the Rogue.

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

The wife and I took a base AWD SL out for a quick 30 min spin last night.

Overall impression was very favorable. Much like Nissan's other recently released products in the last 18 months, the new Rogue has greatly improved in all the right areas. Gone is the average econo box experience; replaced with a product that feels intelligently designed, properly executed and has attention to detail above many competitors entries in the segment. The new Rogue clearly indicates that Nissan is now actually serious about competing in the compact SUV segment.

The vehicle was very composed and hushed on the road. Bumps were absorbed without the drama and noise of the old model. The worse the surface the more apparent the improvement. While not sporty, the ride is smooth, controlled and has minimal body roll. Something like the CX-5 is more athletic but that firmer ride means more road noise and some harshness when you find a pothole. The other end of the spectrum is the Sorento, which is very smooth, but floats like a 1985 Delta 88 and leans around corners as if it were a tacking sailboat. I think Nissan nailed the compromise here.

The electric power steering is good. Not CX-5 good but still better than most. Road feel is not there but that's the price we pay for MPG improvements and frankly the volume buyer (soccer mom) won't care.

I don't tend to favor CVTs.....but having spent a few months with one in my wife's new Note SL I understand what they are trying to acomplish and can do better 75% of the time. The implementation in the Rogue seems pretty good. Ignore the racket from the average sounding 2.5 I4 and the smooth uneventful acceleration from the CVT actually adds to the vehicles lux feel given the absance of shifting. If you put your foot into it the CVT will mimic upshifts as if you were driving a conventional slush box....my guess is to reduce the complaints of "drone" when flooring it. The carryover 4 pot is fine, especially if you fit the "double income no kids" demographic. Interstate merges and getting in front of traffic to grab a left turn at the next stoplight are completed without drama. Even so, Nissan should have added 20 more ponies or offered another engine option. 4 people and thier stuff for a trip to Grandma's in Iowa is going to have a noticeable impact on performance and MPG.

Drivers seat was great. Very comfortable...just like Altima. It was 0°c out when we did the test drive and i can atest to the magic seat warmers ability to fire up quickly. The back seat is excellent. I'm 6' 2 and when setting the drivers seat for myself I had room to spare sitting behind myself in the back. The rear doors seems large and seems to nearly open 90°, very easy to get in. Head room is ample in both front and back.

Visibility, in all directions, is comparable to most others in the segment. Subies being the exception. Clearly the round view system helps with this and after using it this past 3 months in my wife's car I can't picture buying a new car without it. So handy!

The interior is wonderful. Simple lines, nice materials and good ergonomics with frequently used controls. Sit in a Rav4 or CR-V before sitting in the new Rogue and you'd think Toyota and Honda did more crack than Rob Ford. Speaking of Ford, unlike the Escape, the Rogue interior won't look dated in 4 years; much more cohesive....doesn't look like it was designed by 5 different guys on a bandwidth restricted Skype video chat.

The gauge cluster is sharp, simple and easy to read. Looks like a million bucks when you fire up the Rogue. The central LCD between the dials is very high resolution and huge, same one found in the new Q50 I think (or whatever the G37 replacement is called). s*** of stuff can be displayed here and I really like the ability to display Navi info (next turn). The Radio/Nav screen is mid pack on size and resolution. My experianvce with the current "Nissan low-cost Navigation System" is that it's actually very well thought out smooth operator. Free of the reliability pitfalls found in fancier systems like My Ford Touch but light years ahead of what you'll find in the Mazda CX-5 (Mazda is deplorable in this area). Interaction with the touch screen is snappy and works just fine with your gloves on. Voice commands have been improved (streamlined) over those in the wife's Note but I didn't get a chance to give that much testing. Bose system sounds great and will impress everyone save audiophiles.... And if that's you, you are ripping it out anyway. My experience with Bluetooth connectivity in the wife's Note (and a less fancy version of the same system) is very good. Text messages, music streaming and phone calls all work quickly and all the time.

The base SL lacked the active safety tech stuff I couldn't demo that. For those of us who might want things, like a little extra help with blind spots and the like while navigating rush hour, these are welcome extras and worth a few extra bucks. Nissan was smart to offer them. For the luddites, these things are completely killable. As a Canadian (living in St.Louis) I'm glad to see the inclusion (finally!) of DRLs. Why America has resisted this important addition, while law everywhere else world wide, I can't understand.

"Divide and Hide" is brilliant. A shelf in the cargo hold effectively doubles the cargo space. This is a huge selling point in my mind. Cargo space is class leading in some areas and on par in the rest. No problem competing within the compact class here. Power cargo hach is a nice touch. Adds versatility in some situations and means kids can open and close it as well. The Rogue's is height adjustable to accommodate smaller garages.

This one is a winner folks!

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

+1 Very precise review.
...unlike the Escape, the Rogue interior won't look dated in 4 years; much more cohesive....doesn't look like it was designed by 5 different guys on a bandwidth restricted Skype video chat.
:lolling:

twinv7
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I made a post above in the 2014 rogue pics thread. I test drove it 3 different ways and it was so great. I signed a purchase agreement last night for a top of the line black/black leather SL AWD. I am so excited. It was a massive improvement over the 2013 model which I test drive alone as well.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Wow this is really interesting, I'm very surprised to hear that people are reporting that the new Rogue appears to be much better than the recent redesigns from competition Toyota and Honda to name only a couple. If this initial design quality can be matched up to solid long-term reliability this could be a big seller, I did not anticipate this coming!!! Competitors like Honda made only incremental changes in their redesign, to the point where its basically the same as previous model years and didn't get anyone too excited. Nissan obviously did a more substantial redesign, and had more ground to make up so apparently this is working in their favor as people comparing the new model to the outgoing are really noticing a big improvement. It'll be intersting to track reliability.....

Thanks for the reviews and comments!

I just noticed in the specs that Rogue's with the 3rd row seating comes equipped with 3-rows of side curtain airbags. If this is true, I have to give Nissan a pat on the back and take back what I said earlier about that 3rd row having a lower safety standard than the other 2 rows. The crossovers that offer the optional 3rd row like the Sorento or even the long wheelbase Santa Fe with standard 3rd row does NOT have these air bags, for that you have to go to a larger crossover like the Highlander, Pilot, Flex etc. -I've always really hated this fact but Nissan may have bucked the trend and made safety a priority for all 3 rows. That is a big deal to me, and if the reliabilty turns out to be good, it might be a contender for my next car purchase in the next couple years.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

2014 review threads merged. please keep all of your reviews in here. thank you! ;)

kerrton

One more burning question (since my dealer won't have any in the showroom for another couple months!!) - lower door sills, did they design this properly compared to the previous model? I sat in a '14 Pathfinder again while waiting for service, and noticed it has the crappy "no sill" design, like my Rogue, but they added a second layer of plastic trim to keep debris out. I have no idea why they would persist with a such a terrible failed design, just design a proper door sill like all vehicles have currently and have had for the past hundred years.

2014 Rogue door sills.......anyone? Thanks.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kerrton wrote:One more burning question (since my dealer won't have any in the showroom for another couple months!!) - lower door sills, did they design this properly compared to the previous model? I sat in a '14 Pathfinder again while waiting for service, and noticed it has the crappy "no sill" design, like my Rogue, but they added a second layer of plastic trim to keep debris out. I have no idea why they would persist with a such a terrible failed design, just design a proper door sill like all vehicles have currently and have had for the past hundred years.

2014 Rogue door sills.......anyone? Thanks.
do you mean rocker panel?

kerrton

Lower door sill scratching issue: att-all-rogue-owners-scratching-of-pain ... scratching

That photo above appears to show the new Rogue does have an actual sill at the bottom of the door which is great. The old Rogue door design sucks, as does the new Pathfinder doors.

followingnfront

I forgot to post this.... The other day I stopped by the dealer, and my salesman brought me into the garage where they now had a 14 Rogue SL with the LED headlights with auto levelizer... I sat in it, and the seats with leather were, ok... The panoramic roof was cool... And the sound system (Bose with 9 speakers versus the 1st gen's Bose with 7 speakers) didn't sound all that much better than the 1st gen. I was sitting in a garage with one door open, but somehow I wasn't getting as full a sound as mine... Again, one door was open though...

The infotainment system worked well. No real delay in touch that I can see... So yeah... That's my brief, quick observation of my 5 minutes sitting in the 14 SL...

I will be test driving one soon.

mag318

We just got our first good snow here and I really miss the Rogues AWD. The Altima has no where near the Rogues snow handling capacity. I forgot how bad cars were compared to SUVs when it comes to driving in the snow. I"m also wondering if going from HID headlights to LEDs is an improvement or a mistake. Those headlights are something else I'll checkout before firmly committing to a 2014 Rogue. Getting back to the snow, my 2008 Rogue was actually fun to drive in the snow.

followingnfront

I agree. Its snowing in NYC and Im having fun

CapeCodChips
Car: Gun Metal Grey `14 Rogue SV

I ordered a Subaru Forester and after 8 weeks it came in. I knew I shouldn't have but I went and test drove a `14Rogue. I test drove 3 other ones from different dealers and did some research.
What is the official 0-60 time?
One review on YouTube said 9.1. Pretty slooow.
Today I told the Subaru dealer that I was passing on the Forester and that I will be buying a Rogue in a few days.
I'm happy with the price I negotiated- so far. Still working on it.
I was set on the Forester for 3 months and changed my mind with one test drive.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

CapeCodChips wrote:I ordered a Subaru Forester and after 8 weeks it came in. I knew I shouldn't have but I went and test drove a `14Rogue. I test drove 3 other ones from different dealers and did some research.
Today I told the Subaru dealer that I was passing on the Forester and that I will be buying a Rogue in a few days.
Well, ok then.
The Rogue is a Crossover Utility Vehicle, it's not built for speed. :nono:

Per MOTOR TREND - Nissan ROGUE 0-60 MPH 7.8-8.2 sec (MT est)
Certainly not gonna set any land speed records, but that's the price you pay for better fuel economy.

For comparison I've culled this from the internet:
Toyota RAV4 0-60: 8.64 Seconds
Honda CR-V 0-60: 8.7 Seconds
Kia SPORTAGE 0-60: 8.8 Seconds
Hyundai TUCSON 0-60: 8.9 Seconds

followingnfront

CapeCodChips wrote:I ordered a Subaru Forester and after 8 weeks it came in. I knew I shouldn't have but I went and test drove a `14Rogue. I test drove 3 other ones from different dealers and did some research.
Over the Forester? What about the Rogue made you change your mind? I can almost guarantee that the forester is of better build quality and will outlast the Rogur in the longrun (10+ years)

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

If you live at the end of a snowy and muddy dirt track it is your car. The Forester is more off road capable, certainly, other than that I'm not sure it has the Rogue beat anywhere (save more power with the 2.0 option). I looked at the Forester and despite offering comparable technology (even more in some cases - radar cruise control) everything about it seems really dated (kind of like 2013 Rogue). The GPS/Radio system was from 1995, the interior finishes seemed lackluster and it was kind of loud inside.

Return to “Rogue Forum”