Tick Noise From The Gear Knob Area When Brake Applied

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Qashqai

This afternoon, after a very long and busy day, I enter my Rogue, insert my key, and press the brake pedal. As soon as I press the pedal, I heard a click noise coming from the gear knob area. that is like a relay sound. When I touch the shift lock piece, (I don't know what it is called: The trigger type of piece that you press while shifting from Park to Drive) I can feel the click. So the noise is coming from the security mechanism that blocks that trigger to be pushed unless you press the brake pedal.

I will take the car to the dealer Saturday. Did anyone experienced such a problem?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

There is nothing wrong with your car! That noise is the "shift lock solenoid". It's been doing that since day one you just never paid attention. Take any center console automatic car (even any make or model) and they all disengage the shift lock mechanism when you press the brake AND THEY ALL TICK!!
Last edited by ImStricken06 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qashqai

I don't think it is a normal noise. I usually start the engine when the ventilation, AC and radio is off (during Winter, just to decrease the load on the battery). So I am pretty sure I should hear that noise before. Can it be a faulty solenoid? Or maybe it will break anytime and that noise is the first sign?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:I don't think it is a normal noise. I usually start the engine when the ventilation, AC and radio is off (during Winter, just to decrease the load on the battery). So I am pretty sure I should hear that noise before. Can it be a faulty solenoid? Or maybe it will break anytime and that noise is the first sign?
im telling you its a normal sound that every car makes. take me with my 15+years of mechanic experience.
if you doubt me, and doubt the service tech's go sit inside a couple brand new rogue and ask for the keys, turn the car on, - or even just turn the key to acc and push the brake. you will amazed how every single rogue, and automatic car with a center console shifter will make that click.
you just like 90% of everyone else never paid attention to that noise. it was there since day one.

and regarding a fault solenoid, if it fails it wont move, thus not rocking back the white knob allowing the pin from the shifter trigger as you called it to go downward unlocking the shifter.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

you would be amazed how many sounds you dont hear in your car that are going on, but a trained mechanics ear hears them- and know they are taking place. i know smells, sounds, and vibrations that should and shouldnt be taking place. take my word for it- its good that its ticking. if it didnt tick- you'd be stuck in park with a failed shift lock solenoid lol
that sound was always there- you just didnt know to listen for it. now you heard it, because the setting was just right with the noise level.

some people dont hear the a/c clutch kicking in until they stand outside the car, next to the hood while the car is running and then are shocked at WHATS THIS STRANGE BANGING NOISE!?

Qashqai

Thank you for your replies. I trust you, I know that you are trying to help me. I am following your posts for a while and it is obvious that you are a knowledgeable person. I also read the service manual TM part and I understand how that shift lock solenoid works. I understand that it should somehow be "activated" to let driver pass the knob from P to D. During this "activation" it is normal to hear a relay type of noise... However I still can't believe I never paid attention to that loud noise before!
Tomorrow I will go to the dealer and do what you advised. I just want to fell %100 satisfied that that solenoid won't fail in the near future.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:Thank you for your replies. I trust you, I know that you are trying to help me. I am following your posts for a while and it is obvious that you are a knowledgeable person. I also read the service manual TM part and I understand how that shift lock solenoid works. I understand that it should somehow be "activated" to let driver pass the knob from P to D. During this "activation" it is normal to hear a relay type of noise... However I still can't believe I never paid attention to that loud noise before!
Tomorrow I will go to the dealer and do what you advised. I just want to fell %100 satisfied that that solenoid won't fail in the near future.
definitely go check out other cars. 100% sure you will hear the same noise. new cars might be a tiny bit quieter, but its still the same noise.

and regarding it not failing = i dont guarantee that! lolol. mine just died at 29,996 miles. i devised a simple plan to fix them and avoid the $600 in repairs. the fix is working without a problem(and i still from time to time hear the solenoid working- and then at times, i dont hear it) but my repair cost me less than $1 and it works 100% of the time. just funny to hear that silly click wake up once in a while hahah

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

take a read to my stuck in park/broken solenoid easy fix.
diy-stuck-shifter-wont-come-out-of-park ... 54005.html

Qashqai

So this noise is normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXE0Op87 ... e=youtu.be

I went outside and record the noise :)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:So this noise is normal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXE0Op87 ... e=youtu.be

I went outside and record the noise :)
yup! thats your shift lock solenoid. sometimes its gonna be a bit louder than other times due to ambient temps, etc.
the 2002 nissan maxima didnt have a shift button - it relied upon only the brake pedal, and let me tell you its loud!

---again, PRAY THAT IT NEVER STOPS CLICKING LIKE THAT lol - because once it stops, your locked in PARK(unless you use the shift lock manual release)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

if you want to quiet it down, take a piece of felt tape and wrap it around the white shift lock solenoid rocker. you wont hear it at all.

Qashqai

Well...what can I say.... THANK YOU very much for your help! I was really worried this afternoon.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Very good advice ImStricken, bang on, I agree totally! I do find that the Rogue shift lock solenoid is a little louder than some other cars but it is definately normal.

Thank you again for all your help and great advice!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

my pleasure guys. :) we all learn a thing of two on this site, and its nice to give back when i can.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

its a funny story: when my solenoid went bad the other day, (but it still intermittently would wake up and work/click) i showed my girl the problem and was explaining it- and as i pressed the brake and was going to tell her - out of no where it started working again, and CLICKED!
she goes "oh ya, i can hear it, its certainly broken. sounds like something is tapping" -and i replied = "no honey, the tapping means its working right, when its NOT tapping/clicking, is when i cant shift- and its not working right"

she was shocked that in 15years of driving auto cars, she never realized they all clicked when pressing the brake LOL
she didnt believe me haha. its just something so many people dont even realize until out of no where the condition is perfect and quiet, and they hear it - and freak.
cool topic tho. :)

Qashqai

So for the first time someone compare me and my knowledge about cars/driving with a lady...thank you ImStricken! :O)

I still can't believe that noise is something normal and "good to hear" LOL

Qashqai

OK, how about this:

Tonight, I start the engine while my foot is on the brake. I shift the gear to R from P and then I move it back to P from R. I heard the same solenoid "tick" noise...

Is it normal to hear the same solenoid noise when you move the shift from R to P?

Please ImStricken tell me again that this noise is normal. Tell me in every car I can hear a tick noise when you shift gear from R to P. I am going to get crazy!!!!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:OK, how about this:

Tonight, I start the engine while my foot is on the brake. I shift the gear to R from P and then I move it back to P from R. I heard the same solenoid "tick" noise...

Is it normal to hear the same solenoid noise when you move the shift from R to P?

Please ImStricken tell me again that this noise is normal. Tell me in every car I can hear a tick noise when you shift gear from R to P. I am going to get crazy!!!!
LOL that noise is 100% perfectly fine. i was serious on my suggestion when i stated to go take a new rogue off the dealer lot for a quick test drive. it will help you sleep better at night - iv done it many times for various reasons.(while learning to adjust to the cvt tranny vibrations)
some cars will have a little bit more intuitive solenoids and they will not tick when the car is in gear, and some like my 2002 maxima did it no matter what - even in D it ticked - every time i pressed the brake
Look under your dash where the brake pedal is touching 2 solenoids. move the pedal with your hand and you will see that 2 buttons(brake lights, automatic speed control device ASCD) will release 2 small buttons will be release thus activating. some cars will have a larger thresh-hold and will require you to press down further on the pedal to activate the system. some are installed with the setting being very sensitive and require almost no pedal pressure to activate. you might have simply move the brake pedal (still activating the brakes) but enough to engage & disengage the "clicker" if we can call it that. [you can sometimes see peoples tail lights flicker while at a traffic light and thats because they unintentionally moved the brake pedal a millimeter just enough to flicker the 2 buttons. it all depends how far the switch is screwed in.
there is only 2 ways the solenoid in the shift lock can go bad. NOT CLICKING is the only way, and thats either stuck closed, or stuck open. but regardless it wont be clicking. if you hear clicking its working. and the other way is if the lights will not illuminate
now the solenoid by the brake pedal can be troubleshooted as well:
The switch registers you are pressing the brake pedal. If this switch malfunctions it will not register your foot is on the brake so the shift lock solenoid will not click and Your brake lights will not illuminate.
take a look:

tiggy_rogue

I have the exactly the sound from the first day I purchased my car 4 years ago. It now has close to 60k miles or 100k km, nothing happened. Just enjoy the car:) it is normal.

Qashqai

OK I learned to live with that extremely annoying solenoid noise. I know that this ticking noise is perfectly normal. How about this:
Today I stopped at the red lights. When the green light turns on, I remove my foot from brake and press the accelerator pedal. After the car started to move, about 2-3 seconds later I heard the same solenoid ticking noise. At first I thought my car freshner hanging from the rearview mirror is hitting to the mirror while accelerating. But no, that is that old annoying noise. I turned of the radio and started to listen the car. Everytime I come to a complete stop and accelerate again, after couple of seclnds that ticking noise appears. I hope it is normal and I noticed it because I started to pay attention.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:OK I learned to live with that extremely annoying solenoid noise. I know that this ticking noise is perfectly normal. How about this:
Today I stopped at the red lights. When the green light turns on, I remove my foot from brake and press the accelerator pedal. After the car started to move, about 2-3 seconds later I heard the same solenoid ticking noise. At first I thought my car freshner hanging from the rearview mirror is hitting to the mirror while accelerating. But no, that is that old annoying noise. I turned of the radio and started to listen the car. Everytime I come to a complete stop and accelerate again, after couple of seclnds that ticking noise appears. I hope it is normal and I noticed it because I started to pay attention.
so your saying its delayed? hmmm interesting. could be just sticking. or it could be a different noise (windshield popping, strut tower, etc)

Qashqai

I am pretty sure it is the same ticking noise from the solenoid. I will keep an eye on that noise...

My concern is will it fail soon? If I take the car to the dealer and they decided to change that piece, they will butcher the console, and this time İf they do scratch I will be really mad...

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

A few months ago our solenoid failed for good. I was able to release the lock manually with a screwdriver in the lock release slot but we were concerned that it might not work at an inopportune time so we shelled out the $200+ to get it fixed. Then recently we started to notice the click when we stepped on the brake. I am positive that it it made that noise previously then it must be very much louder now. It's guaranteed for 1 year so at next oil change I will bring it up with the dealer. BTW, we have 78K miles on out 2008 Rogues and 60K with our new cvt and we still love the car...and it gets paid off next spring! :-)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

that tick is normal. volume changes are to be expected as the plastic pieces change tone due to interior temps, lube wearing away, etc. i made a write-up on how to fix it for less than a penny. its pretty simple. let me know if anyone needs it. :)

Qashqai

I will take the Rogue to the dealer. Every time I come to a complete stop and accelerate again I hear this noise. If I slow down but not stop, no noise.

If they say "this sound is normal", I am planning to disable that solenoid like ImStricken did: with a zip tie or a foam or a plastic piece. My concern is, is it safe to disable that lock. I understand it prevent the gear knob accidently shift to D or R while the engine is running...but is it designed to prevent accidents when there are small kids in the car? Is it still dangerous if a grown up is using the car all the time?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:I will take the Rogue to the dealer. Every time I come to a complete stop and accelerate again I hear this noise. If I slow down but not stop, no noise.

If they say "this sound is normal", I am planning to disable that solenoid like ImStricken did: with a zip tie or a foam or a plastic piece. My concern is, is it safe to disable that lock. I understand it prevent the gear knob accidently shift to D or R while the engine is running...but is it designed to prevent accidents when there are small kids in the car? Is it still dangerous if a grown up is using the car all the time?
it wont "accidentally shift from d to r" without pressing the trigger button first. its not like a free shifting thing. it still works the same, just doesnt need the brake pedal applied.

Qashqai

Oh right...that trigger...

I have an appointment Friday morning. Will let you know once I learn more about the issue...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:Oh right...that trigger...

I have an appointment Friday morning. Will let you know once I learn more about the issue...

see if you can (at night) back up next to a white wall or some form, and (while in Drive) release your brakes, and see if the lights are also delayed in turning off. if they are not, then its only a problem isolated to the "ticker". :)

Qashqai

:O) I found the problem. It is not the "ticker" (I love that term)

The problem is a little glass perfume sampler my wife forgot inside the centre console. I found it in the little coin pocket next to the lock. It rolls backward when I accelerate and I SWEAR it has the same tick noise as the solenoid. I asked my wife to locate the sound and she finally find her lost perfume sampler. She was surprised as well, because it is EXACTLY the same sound as the solenoid ticks...

Now I have to cancel the appointment and apologize ImStricken for taking his time to patiently reply my stressful messages :O)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Wait, they let women drive cars, in canada? (Borat joke lol/jk)
its ok Sqash, we forgive you!

one more time and you will be forced to drive this:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

ACTUALLY, THIS GIVES ME AN IDEA lol

Return to “Rogue Forum”