SeaFoam

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Pathfinder995
Car: 99.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Okay, so I've seen a few of you talk about SeaFoam--can somebody tell me what the best way to make use of it is? I picked up a bottle and ran it through with a tank of gas but I keep hearing to use it in the "intake" etc. - any help would be awesome.

-Jeff

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

seafoam is some old school stuff in a can, you suck it into the intake manifold while the engine is running, like maybe half a can, you have to pour slowly or the engine will die. (it will sputter while you pour) But once you pour half a can, just kill the engine anyways and let it sit for a few minutes. Put the vacuum hose back on and start the engine, and drive around the hood. Watch out for police because you will have A LOT of smoke coming out the tail pipe. Last time i seafoam'ed, i had people giving me middle fingers and little kids all jumped off their bikes and pulled their shirts over their faces. It will look like your car is broken but then the smoke clears out, your engine will run a lot better, smoother. video of seafoam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZVpNdJfkw ^^ personally, my qx4 put out a lot more smoke than that it burns out all the carbon deposits from your cylinders and head!!

more info http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=755765

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

oh yeah, you want to change your oil a few dozen miles after doing this. and i recommend spark plugs too. seafoam can foul plugs.

pathfinder9035
Car: 2001 Nissan pathfinder

well i heard it reduces the life of your engine...is that true!!??

JHC828
Car: M56S / Escalade ESV Platinum / Lexus LS F Sport
FX50S & M45 - sold

I've used this many times in the past. I had actually forgotten about it. Never calculated MPGs or anything but it does make an engine run smoother. I've never done it on my pathy, when I get around to it I will pick up a can and try to video the outcome, if I have an extra hand.

exvin
Car: 2000 Nissan Pathfinder

Ive have tried this also and I have never encountered anything negative with it..Ive heard it will also screw with your O2 sensors but I have never ever had any issues with it.

ALso, the smoothness doesnt last quite as long as some people think, carbon will eventually build up again, even as quick as a week or less but if you want to clean out the cylinders etc, then it works wonders

SixGuns
Car: '04 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4

I've been using SeaFoam for years and it's great stuff....basically, it's distillates that disolve the deposits in your valvetrain, cylinders, etc...Best way to get it done is use the black rubber vaccum hose leading from the brake booster (driver's side, next to the firewall, big cylinder)....move the hose clamp before you even start, and disconnect the line....probably stuck as all hell, so it will take a little working...then, stick the hose back on the nipple so it's just barely snug...have another person start the car and hold the revs at 3,000 RPM, then disconnect the vaccum line and stick the line into the can of SeaFoam and gently pour the liquid to the line...vaccum pressure will suck it all out of the can and as soon as it's empty, shut off the engine, put the line back on the nipple and secure the hose clamp. After 5-10 minutes, all the crap will be disolved and start the car...drive or rev the engine till all the junk burns out of the exhaust system....Like said before, be careful where you do...we've had the fire department show up, 'cause someone thought the Silverado we were doing it on was burning up....Gotta hold the revs up though, or the engine will die. Good luck.

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

From the SeaFoam Website...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Basically can't go wrong with the stuff. They do mention that it's possible on older engines with lots of buildup to possibly damage an engine if too much carbon deposits get loose and they can jam up some head items. My suggestion is you run a few cans through your tank first to loosen it up gradually before doing the tune-up treatment.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

so I just bought a can of this stuff, anyone have pics of what hose to use? With 185K miles should I do the 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil fill, and 1/3 in a vacuum line deal? Or should I go all out and put an entire can in each one?

Billy

fraustypath

Anyone able to show a pic of what hose you guys are talking about using? I have a 96 pathfinder and am sure it could use this.

longhornsqx4
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L VQ35DE

The FAT black hose going from your brake booster (drivers side firewall), disconnect it AFTER the white valve, closer side to the engine, pull it off with the engine running, and feel how much vacuum suction it has, you slowly suck it up through that.

I did it last week, smoked like a banshee, didnt notice much difference myself though.

fraustypath

Thanks bud, worked fine, got a video of it, but my tailpipe is gone so all the smoke came out underneath, looks like my truck is going up in flames

bmlawless
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

fraustypath wrote:Thanks bud, worked fine, got a video of it, but my tailpipe is gone so all the smoke came out underneath, looks like my truck is going up in flames
That would be good to see. Do you plan on posting it?

fraustypath

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

All those unburned hydrocarbons cannot be good for the catalytic converter.

Freyspath
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I put it in my pathy when I got her.. As I was replacing the spark plugs, I took a hose and shot about 20cc's into each cylinder. Then I installed the new sparkplugs, connected the car back up, started the car, and drove around until the smoke cleared. My pathy had 80k when I got it, and I noticed it starts faster and smoother after I did this.

ARKQX33V6

[quote="Empty V"]so I just bought a can of this stuff, anyone have pics of what hose to use? With 185K miles should I do the 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil fill, and 1/3 in a vacuum line deal? Or should I go all out and put an entire can in each one?

Billy[/quote
-------------
With 185 K do not run it through a vacuum line into your engine, mix it in your fuel tank, use the ratios on the can.

Seafoam is a great maintenance item but use it sparingly especially when you have never run it through your engine before. Keep to the can ratios try about 3-4 times, should help to preserve your engines performance without the abuse of carbon particles messing thing up. Check you fuel filter, oil filter and pull plugs 3 and 4 and take a look. Remember be frugal with this stuff or else you will be doing much more than you bargained for.

Iceman2989
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Is this a bad idea to do right after you change the spark plugs? I just changed mine, but a leak in my exhaust manifold has provided lots of gunk to clean up.... Ill be changing that out this weekend, and wanted to do the seafoam deal after that. any advice on that?

m0nkeyprince
Car: 1998 Qx4

i just sea foamed my 3.3, talk about middle fingers, i felt hella bad driving past a couple who were taking their baby out for some fresh air. However, i did notice some improvement in idling and in responsiveness. In a sec, im about to change the motor oil/filter along with throwing in some new laser iridiums

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

m0nkeyprince wrote:i just sea foamed my 3.3, talk about middle fingers, i felt hella bad driving past a couple who were taking their baby out for some fresh air. However, i did notice some improvement in idling and in responsiveness. In a sec, im about to change the motor oil/filter along with throwing in some new laser iridiums
Lol that is pretty bad but pretty funny. I had people pretty pissed too. And when you turn on your car make sure the windows are up! I forgot my sunroof was open and I got smoked out.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”