S13 JDM Digital Climate Control Swap (It's easier than you think!)

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
kouki munster
Car: 97 base 240

I'm mostly just consolidating the info I used while I did the swap and making it a little easier to follow.

First off I want to give credit to float_6969 and ericherm1 because both of their threads have very useful info for doing this swap.

float_6969's thread zerothread?id=5142

ericherm1's thread zer...age=1

Parts required:1. Digital climate control unit (duh)

2. DCC sub harness (It cannot be cut)

3. Mix door motor (replaces the temp slider on the analog unit)

4. Ambient air temp sensor (you can get it from a 91 pathfinder and most mid 90's maxima)

5. Cabin air temp sensor (most mid 90's maxima)

6. Aspirator (mid 90's maxima with automatic climate control)

7. Sunload sensor (most mid 90's maxima)

8. Blower motor speed controller, a.k.a. blower resistor and blower speed sensor (I got mine from a 92 Q45 but most mid 90's maxima with automatic climate control should work to)

9. Thermo control amp, I'm not sure if this is required or not, but I'm still using the stock one and everything works like it should (mid 90's maxima with automatic climate control)

As far as I know the first 3 parts cannot be found in anything other than the Japanese s13s with the DCC.

Wiring:

First of all you DO NOT need the entire jdm harness, just the complete uncut DCC sub harness, the usdm s13 harness WILL work with very little modification. Secondly, the usdm harness does not have a "high speed fan relay", the relay in the usdm harness energizes when the ignition is turned on does nothing more than provide a ground to the analog unit and the mode door motor. The relay does not need to be removed and will not cause any problems. (unless you unplug it)

The dcc unit has 3 positive wires, 1 ground and 3 sensors that need to be hooked up.

All three positive wires are on the dcc sub harness:

1. Green/White stripe, on small white 7 pin plug, this needs to be ran to an Ign+. This wire can be moved to an empty spot on large white 16 pin plug (see page 1 of ericherm1's thread for the location it is moved to)

2. Blue/Red stripe, on the small white 7 pin plug, this needs to be ran to a Ign+. I tied this wire into the large Blue/Red stripe wire on the blower motor.

3. Red, the plug with a single wire, this needs to be ran to a constant +12v. I tied it into the memory wire for the radio, Red/Black stripe.

The ground wire is easiest to find on the car's harness:

Red/Yellow stripe, found on the large white 16 pin plug on the usdm harness, this wire needs to be cut and the side that goes to the dcc needs to be grounded(one of the bolts on the shifter boot works great), tie the other end of the wire out of the way.

The sensors, are easy to hook up ,even easier if the plugs for them aren't cut off, each sensor has two wires.

This is almost word for word from float_6969's post. (There is not much I could do to make this any easier to under stand)

1. Sunload Sensor - (LG/B +) - (G/Y -) - The sunload sensor is a diode and is polarity sensitive. DON'T HOOK THIS UP WRONG. (this has a separate plug in the dcc sub harness)

2. Cabin air temp Sensor - (BR +) - (LG -) - This is a thermistor. I don't believe that it is polarity sensitive, but I'd make sure to hook it up right anyway. (this has a separate plug in the dcc sub harness)

3. Ambient Temperature Sensor - (LG/Y +) - (LG -) - Same as above. (these wires are on the small white 7 pin plug)

The only wiring left to do is to plug in the large white 6 pin and large white 16 pin plugs on the dcc sub harness to the corresponding plugs on the harness in the car.

All that’s left now is to mount the air mix door motor, Ambient air temp sensor, aspirator, sun load sensor, cabin temp sensor and change the blower speed controller (and thermo control amp if you have it). (I still need to mount everything, it looks like my dash threw up in the passenger seat)

1. the mix door motor mounts towards the bottom of air box behind the control unit.

2. the Ambient air temp sensor mounts under the hood latch on the vertical bar in front of the radiator.

3. there is a spot on the drivers side of the air box for the aspirator that needs to be cut out for it, the other end of the tube hooks to cabin temp sensor (see page 3 of ericherm1's thread for more details)

4. The sun load sensor mounts on the trim piece around the defroster vent(there is a good pic on the first page of ericherm1's thread)

5. cabin temp sensor, I glued mine to the coin holder then cut some slots in the holder for air to flow through. (the best place I found to mount it)

6. The blower motor speed controller and thermo control amp mount to the air box behind the glove box.(there is a good pic on the first page of ericherm1's thread)

That’s it, now just enjoy your fully functional automatic digital climate control. Honestly the hardest part of the swap is finding the all the parts to do it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

ArcherV20
Car: 1995 240SX

Sorry - didn't notice the other threads you linked with pics.

chmercer

anyone know how to rig one of these up for s14? similar?

Jookmasta

hey mods, i say sticky this thread along with the other two threads he mentioned..................

VinceSez
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

wow there sure are a lot of parts required for this swap... but great thread!

kouki munster

I'm not sure about the s14, But I think that there is a write up on fresh alloy. I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it here for you.

If you just want the dcc and don't care if the auto function works then you just need the control unit, sub harness, air mix door motor, blower speed controller, and the cabin temp sensor.

masticatingcow
Car: 94 Mazda FD3S

I think with pics this thread might have a chance.

kouki munster

The earliest I can get them will probably be friday, but until then one of the the two posts I linked has some good pics of almost everything.

ddgsxr504
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE 2007 Infinit M35 Sport 2011 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition

chmercer wrote:anyone know how to rig one of these up for s14? similar?

Kenrik
Car: 240Sx Coupe, G35 Coupe, Versa Hatch

What's the point of the swap? my ac controls work fine..

chmercer

the point is that digital is baller.

on s14, what would be needed to just make it work like a stock hvac? no auto or anything just regular temperature control. any ideas? i had one of these units a while ago and sold it cause i couldnt figure out how to power it up. no harness.

kouki munster

Honestly, one day I got bored and and just to kill time I got on ebay, and while randomly browsing I ran across one of the dcc units and thought that it would be a fun project to tackle. While I was looking for info on the swap on other forums (zilvia, club240, ect...), only because I hadn't found Nico yet, 99.9% of the post I found were of people flaming the poster and saying that they "heard" it was insanely hard or impossible. I took that as a challenge just so when I got it working I could rub it in their faces, I still need to go do that.

Also I hated fiddling with the slider, I could never get the temp to stay comfortable and I was always adjusting it every few minuets until I got fed up, turned it off, and rolled down the window, or just coped with being cold.

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

Props to you beatupsx for another writeup on this subject, we can always use more clarification on this swap.

I've got this half-way installed on mine, just been a ***** sourcing parts. Hopefully I'll have the last piece of the puzzle this Friday & i'll be finally finished.

Put up your PICS!

oki_bum
Car: SR Powered 1990 240SX

Props! But after reading all of that, its harder than i thought it would be...lol

kouki munster

Dammitboy, how far along are you?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

This definitely needs to be consolidated into a one-post "how-to" with pics - I can make it a front-page article when it's finished.

Dammitboy

Beatupsx wrote:Dammitboy, how far along are you?
I've installed everything except the JDM blower motor speed sensor, & today I just picked it up, installed it, but have had a helluva time getting the blower to work correctly.

I tell you what, I've been waiting on this part for litterally months & it's frustrating that it's still not working when I installed it. I've followed Eric's thread & your thread on this install & made the small mods neccessary. Everything works fine EXCEPT the blower motor. It will not cycle through it's 4 speed settings.

There has to be something I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm just special.

I could really use some help on this please. I'm about ready to give up.

Kevin

kouki munster

What vehicle did it come from?

I know when I was fiddling with the blower that no matter what I did until I hooked the blue/red stripe (on the small white 7 pin plug on the sub harness) wire to an ign+ that the blower would do nothing but run full speed.

Dammitboy

Beatupsx wrote:What vehicle did it come from?

I know when I was fiddling with the blower that no matter what I did until I hooked the blue/red stripe (on the small white 7 pin plug on the sub harness) wire to an ign+ that the blower would do nothing but run full speed.
All this came out of a 92' Silvia. I got the blower motor speed sensor from a 93' silvia clip with DCC. I originally hooked up everything according to Eric's instructions, using a JDM dash harness. When that did'nt work out, I tried your instructions, using only the USDM harness.

I did splice in the blue/red stripe wire from the 7 pin plug to the large Blue/Red stripe wire on the blower motor like you did, but got the same results, full blower on & no cycling options.

I'll just take some pics of what I've done & post them. You don't know how bad I want to get this working.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin
Modified by Dammitboy at 8:44 AM 2/25/2006

P_Productions
Car: 1996 240sx Se

Another awesome thread!

Dammitboy

[QUOTE=Beatupsx]Red/Yellow stripe, found on the large white 16 pin plug, (the side of the plug that is attached to the car) this needs to be cut and the side that connects to the dcc needs to be grounded(one of the bolts on the shifter boot works great), just tie the other end out of the way.

Question about this one, In Eric's post about this wire, he says to cut it on the USDM side & ground it. With this, the unit would turn on fine.

Your saying to cut & tie the USDM side red/yellow wire stripe out of the way, but to cut & ground the DCC side? Well, I tried this and the unit itself would only turn on & flicker off. I went ahead & reverted back to grounding the USDM side. What's goin' on here?

kouki munster

After re reading that it is a little unclear I'll re word it later.

The end of the r/y wire that runs back to the dcc has to be grounded, the end that goes back to the usdm harness just tie up aut of the way.

I'll get some pics today of every thing to help clear it up.

kouki munster

Some pics are up, I'll have the rest tomorrow or monday. I would of had them all if the batteries in my camera hadn't died on me.

P_Productions
Car: 1996 240sx Se

Beatupsx ,

I was planning on writing a DIY as well but I did take pictures of every sensor that you'll need for the conversion. I can send you the pics so people will know what the sensors look like and where they are located in the cabin

My email is [email protected]

Great Job!

Dammitboy

HOLY CRAP, I actually got it to work! The funny thing was when I attatched the b/r wire to the usdm blower motor for ign+, it would not work. But I tried a different ign source & BAM! Blower motor options!

After nearly a year of sourcing parts, many,many hours of troubleshooting & cussin', she works, A/C & all.

Thank you Float, Eric & Beatup for doig these writeups.

Incidently, I have enough parts leftover for another complete conversion for sale.

Kevin

jessetang
Car: 1995 240sx

how much you are looking for?

kouki munster

Dammitboy wrote:HOLY CRAP, I actually got it to work! The funny thing was when I attatched the b/r wire to the usdm blower motor for ign+, it would not work. But I tried a different ign source & BAM! Blower motor options!

After nearly a year of sourcing parts, many,many hours of troubleshooting & cussin', she works, A/C & all.

Thank you Float, Eric & Beatup for doig these writeups.

Incidently, I have enough parts leftover for another complete conversion for sale.

Kevin
Thats good to hear, although I'm kind of at a loss as to why the b/r wire on the blower plug didn't work for you, but as long as it works.

Dammitboy

jessetang wrote:how much you are looking for?
Anyone interested in these components can email me [email protected]

Dammitboy

Pic of it installed

kouki munster

Just out of curiosity where did you mount the cabin temp sensor? (I'll post some pictures of where I put mine tomorrow )

Return to “240sx General Discussion”