JDM Climate control

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I'm sure that anyone who has been on ebay has seen these for our cars. I purchased on in March of this year and it took me a while to get it all working. But mine is now completely functional and looks pretty damn cool. I'm going to try and get the wiring up here later, but I don't have any way to get pics, so I can't help there. Alright, here it goes;1- Auto A/C control unit(s13 silvia)2-Complete harnes (s13 silvia)3-Mode door motor(not sure, came with mine)4-Sensors a. In vehicle sensor ( 91 pathfinder, I think, mine came with it) b. Ambient Temperature sensor (91 pathfinder) c. Sunload sensor(not sure, mine came with it) d. Fan control amplifier(93 maxima)5-Aspirator(93 maxima)You now have all the neccisary parts. Finding the Sensors here shouldn't be too much of a problem. If nothing else, buy them new from Nissan. The main problem that I have seen with all of the units that are purchased on ebay is that they don't come with the MODE DOOR MOTOR. You HAVE to have this. I don't know that you can get it from another car. I luckily had it with mine when I purchased it. If you are thinking about doing this it is really cool, but will take some ingenuity. If I was going to do it again, I would contact the seller and see if he/she can get these parts also before you purchase it. It may cost more but it will save you A LOT of headache. Now, you may be wondering what half of this stuff is, so I'll explain;1-Auto A/C Unit- basically it's the computer, the thing you see2-Complete harness- If it is cut at all, it will be a pain to work with. If you can, try and get one with both sides of the connectors also. 3-Mode door motor-You HAVE to have this. This is what replaces the HOT/COLD slider on your original unit. Even with all the sensors, the unit is useless with out this. VERY IMPORTANT TO GET THIS!!!4-Sensors a. In Vehicle Sensor-this, in conjunction with the aspirator (I'll explain in a sec), draws air in past the sensor and tells the control unit what temp it is inside the vehicle. b. Ambient Temperature Sensor-This is located on the hood rockstay. (bar that runs vertically infront of your radiator/condesor. Look at the car from the front and look into the space in the bumper. You can't miss it.) This sensor tells the control unit what temperature it is outside. c.Sunload sensor-Kinda self explanitory. This one tells the control unit how much sun is coming into the car. d.Fan control Amplifier-Based on a signal from the control unit, it varies the resitance going to the fan. Basically this replaces the resistors that were used before. (4 fan speeds-3 resistors.) 5-Aspirator-This unit is located on the going to be attached to the A/C box. You'll have to cut a hole, but nothing complicated. Basically this uses the venturi effect. It uses the air being blown out of the fan to create a vaccum that draws cabin temperature air past the in vehicle sensor. As for the wiring goes, I'll have to explain this later. I'm going to try and get pics up of this, but it is raining right now, and I don't wanna mess with it. If you have any questions, feel free to post here, or email me.

Cyberkreig
Car: 1993 240sx (SR )

well thanks for the (depressing) information. Perhaps Dauntt's new shop can get the rare parts...

float_6969

no, there is no need for the SR ecu. I don't see ANY reason why you would need that. All the input and output signals are monitored by the control unit. It's pretty much plug and play. There are 4 or 5 plugs on the harness. The 2 that look like they would plug into the harness that is in your car, do plug into them and need no modifications. The rests of the plugs are either for power, illumination, ground, or sensor input/output wires. I'm going to go take my dash apart real quick and I'll set up a list of the color combo of what each wire you have splice to what. (that only makes sense in my head). I'll have it up by 5pm central. Check back then.

float_6969

Alright, here is the wiring. I think that this is all of it, but I'm not for absolutely sure. All of the wires that I'm referring to are the wires that are on the sub-harness that should come with the auto a/c amp. If you were lucky like me you got both sides of all of the plugs, so I just did the splicing on the plugs and didn't cut the harness at all. Ok, so on with it;

You will have 3 positive wires entering the unit. This is just to get it to turn on. One is a constant, and the other two are ignition. And just incase you think of this (like I did) you don't want it to come on in the Acc. position. (i.e., hook one pos. wire to an acc. wire) The reason for this is because the relay for the fan isn't closed until the key is turned to ON.

All 3 sensors share a common ground. Going out of the harness there is a pos. and a neg. for each sensor. Once it gets into the harness and up to the auto amp. The neg. is one wire.

The illumination dimmer won't function with this unit. I found out they don't have dimmer switches in JDM vehicles, so this wasn't designed to work with it.

There is one wire that I couldn't find a home for. I suspect that it has something to do with the Bi level motor, but our car doesn't have this motor.

NOTE: I will use the same color codes that Nissan does. Know these before reading

Your pos. wires on the sub harness are;R - constant + - White plug with single wire - used radio constant - R/BL/R - Ign. + - ran wire to two wire plug for fan power - connect to large L/R wireG/W - Ign. + - ran wire to small green wire on the fan relay.

GroundR/Y - This is the only wire that is on the vehicles harness that you will cut. Originally this is the ground for the Ill. Unfortunately it won't work and must be run to a direct ground. I ran a wire to one of the screws that hold down the rubber boot on my shifter. (Great place for to ground stereos too)

SensorsI'm not 100% sure on the polarity of the wires, it was dark and I couldn't see well, but I think this is right. Hopefully you should have the plugs for the In Vehicle sensor (Large white plug, 2 wires) and the Sunload sensor (Small black plug, 2 wires). You won't have the plug for the ambient temperature sensor because it is located on the hood rock stay on the front of the car. I got my sensor from a 91 pathfinder and cut on the plug side, so now I have a plug also. For the ambient sensor, you will have to get the wires through the firewall somehow and seal them. I cut a small hole in the plug for the ecu to engine wiring and it works well w/o a leak. Sunload Sensor - (LG/B +) - (G/Y -) - The sunload sensor is a diode and is polarity sensitive. DON'T HOOK THIS UP WRONG. In Vehicle Sensor - (BR +) - (LG -) - This is a thermistor. I don't believe that it is polarity sensitive, but I'd make sure to hook it up right anyway. Ambient Temperature Sensor - (LG/Y +) - (LG -) - Same as above.

Engine Temp SensorI don't have this hooked up yet. This isn't really so much a sensor as a signal. It takes a signal from the temp sensor that controls the gauge cluster. If the car is really cold and it is really cold outside, it will delay running the fan for up to 150 seconds. After that it will run the fan on low until the car heats up. Its cold enough here right now for this to work, (I think) but like I said, I don't have the wire run yet. BR/W - Single wire - Will either run to the back of the gauge cluster or out into the engine compartment

That is about it. I got all my info from the online Factory Service Manual from an Australian S14. The wire coloring is different, but the placement of the wires going into the auto amp is exactly the same. Go to zilvia.net and click on the Technical link. It will say S14 SR20DET Factory Service Manuals. You'll need adobe. This will explain ALOT!!!!

240SXer
Car: 1995 240sx SE (2jz powered)

How does it work though? Tell us about the functionality. I looks cool, and it's a good price. Does it give the temp? It can turn on an off the AC at a desired temp?

David.

float_6969

How does it work though? Tell us about the functionality. I looks cool, and it's a good price. Does it give the temp? It can turn on an off the AC at a desired temp?

Alright, here's a brief on how it works. First of all, you'll have to get used to the fact that it's in Celcius. But just for reference 25C is about 77F. There is a readout of what you want the temp to be, if the AC is on and if it is on Auto. It "can" give a readout of the inside and outside temps, but you have to go into the diagnostic mode to do that. So the temps aren't readily available. The only thing that I DON'T like about it is that anytime you turn it to AUTO it wants to run the AC. You can turn the AC off and it will stay in auto mode, but it's just kinda disturbing. It automatically controls the hot/cold door and the mode door (foot, vent, ect...) I had to play with the adjustment on the linkage for the temperature motor to get it to heat up all the way, but other than that it works alright. It does take some getting used to, but now that I have it, I don't think I could do without it. I may email dauntless and see if he wants anything to do with it. If he does, I'm only a few hours away from him so I may just drive up there and see if he wants to take pics and have me explain it to him. Thats up to him. If you have any ?'s, I'm glad to answer them. I know that this may seem really daunting, but I have a tendancy to make things complicated :D

Dragon240

Did this go on a KA or SR? I have a KA and just ordered one, it doesn't have near all those parts but a friend of mine had a coast guard buddy stationed in Japan and Ill see if I can get him to track down the parts. Or maybe I can get lucky around here or else order parts from Nissan(?) I just want to know if this is possible with a KA USDM 240SX f/b. If not i'm not out much, it was only 45 dollars and has an uncut harness supposedly.

SSJ4Gogetta2000

Great Information. I am planning to do this conversion as well and was worried about the wiring. All I have to do now is remember when I look at them on ebay make sure it comes with the listed parts above. Thanks again.

DriftingXJDM

ok I tried but what exactly is this partL/R - Ign. + - ran wire to two wire plug for fan power - connect to large L/R wireG/W - Ign. + - ran wire to small green wire on the fan relay. I'm lost unclear please help

wickedpelf
Car: 1991 240sx with super hicas

ok i know this is an OLD post but how much did ur digital unit cost with all ur stuff...

float_6969

Hey, this is a little up date for everyone. It's just some pics that I found that I forgot that I had. http://www.imagestation.com/al...age=Y

I'm going to try and do a better write up in a couple of months. Right now it's in a box as the car I had it installed in has been wrecked. Once I get my motor issues worked out, I intened to install the interior back into my car and I'll do a better write up at that time.

ericherm1
Car: 1997 Pickup XE 2.4L 4x4 Single cab short box
1991 BNR32 Skyline GTR
1991 240sx SE SR20DET + S13 Silvia Front end swap (Sold)

Um can you please take some detailed pictures of your wiring. The ones you have already are very far away and not very good. Alot of us are atempting the swap with no luck, especailly me! I tried to follow your guide but Its just confusing. I did the wires just like you said and nothing, sure the unit came on but thats about all it did. The blower motor not working nothing. I had a clip that I took everything off of and I really need to know what the Ampilfier looks like, please post a pic of it.

Here is what I have so far:

http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=94307

Thanks,Eric

AmIdYfReAk
Car: 1990 240SX Coupe

float_6969 wrote:you'll have to get used to the fact that it's in Celcius. But just for reference 25C is about 77F
heh, you americans.

32F = 0C 100F = 37C's

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm
Modified by AmIdYfReAk at 4:22 PM 12/17/2004

240sx_s13_902
Car: 1993 240sx coupe LE

Nissan Wiring color codes:B = BlackW = WhiteR = RedG = GreenL = BlueY = YellowLG = Light GreenBR = BrownOR or O = OrangeP = PinkPU = PurpleV = VioletGY or GR = GreySB = Sky BlueCH = Dark BrownDG = Dark Green

jholling

thanks

Joseph Rivera
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX 2Dr Coupe

Hey, I recently bought a dcc for my 240 but I'm missing one thing. The metal rod & plastic clip on motor. Are they needed?& if so where could I get them?

float_6969

Yes, they're needed. I have no idea where you'd get them though. I wrecked/sold this car a long time ago and now have an S14. If I had to guess, you're probably better off trying to build something from scratch. You could try hitting up the junkyards, but I wouldn't know where to tell you to start.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”