Road/Wind Noise Solution?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
globe9
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue S 360 Wicked Black

Love my Rogue, but it is quite noisy when driving at faster speeds...anything over 40mph+...I don't think this is engine noise, as that seems quite quiet, but more wind noise. I can't afford or really want to make the effort to take everything out of the interior(seats, carpet, console, etc.) and install dynamat or something like that.

I've read on here that the door seals are quite thin and cheap and was trying to do a bit of research on the web and came across this thread on a Lexus forum:

http://clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-g ... noise.html

I wonder if this method and product would help in the Rogue? I'm not a very mechanical/handy girl so I can't look at this and know if it would work in my Rogue or not. What do ya'll think of this idea? Does it seem worth a try?

Still want to get the Raam Insolite for the spare tire wheel well. http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?opti ... 1&Itemid=3

Any other ideas suggestions on stopping wind noise/road noise from the Rogue that doesn't involve ripping apart the interior and spending a small fortune? :)

Going to google the spray on sound dampener stuff next, but read on another forum that a car audio magazine did a test and they think it caused rust...not good, but will check it out.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

globe9 wrote:

Going to google the spray on sound dampener stuff next, but read on another forum that a car audio magazine did a test and they think it caused rust...not good, but will check it out.
I don't know if that is the same as the undercoating sprays at the auto store, but undercoating cans there are for rust prevention and sound deadening. :yesnod Don't know why undercoating would cause rust if used correctly unless you miss a spot.

Definitely get the Ensolite, seems like a good idea! Attack the sounds from all angles, you have some good ideas and I guess it's trial by error and whats best for you.

Usually, the radio is also on so I don't really complain of wind noise. The worse is when it rains. Sounds like the hatch is open when I first experience it. I'm use to it by now. :woot:

rogueagent08
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL

as a sound person, i wouldn't use Dynamat as most all of Dynamat's products are asphalt based go with Second Skin Audio (www.secondskinaudio.com) . since I live in a similar area as you, I know that most of the noise you are encountering is from the poor roads we have and can be corrected by the tires used.

read this too:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

philipa_240sx

Tire noise is a huge factor.

I have recently changed the stock Continental tires to the Yokohama Avid TRZ. The noise difference is considerable... the TRZ's are almost silent, even at highway speeds.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

globe9 wrote:Love my Rogue, but it is quite noisy when driving at faster speeds...anything over 40mph+...I don't think this is engine noise, as that seems quite quiet, but more wind noise. I can't afford or really want to make the effort to take everything out of the interior(seats, carpet, console, etc.) and install dynamat or something like that.

I've read on here that the door seals are quite thin and cheap and was trying to do a bit of research on the web and came across this thread on a Lexus forum:

http://clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-g ... noise.html

I wonder if this method and product would help in the Rogue? I'm not a very mechanical/handy girl so I can't look at this and know if it would work in my Rogue or not. What do ya'll think of this idea? Does it seem worth a try?
I have 2 years of experience with tracking down one specific source of wind noise on my Rogue, and I've had success completely eliminating it. Your idea about the foam weatherstripping definately couldn't hurt, BUT my advice is to properly diagnose the source of the road noise before you spend a lot of time randomly throwing fixes at a problem. What I mean is, you're talking about wind noise, and noise from the floor in the rear cargo area - two very different noises so I'd recommend dealing with one specific thing at a time.

My specific issue can be found in detail in this thread including photos of the problem area and fix that I applied: wind-noise-t351046.html

The noise which I originally thought was coming from the roof rack main rails was actually coming from the door seals near the side mirrors. It was to the point where it was continuous "whoooooing" on the highway, and it also eventually started to make the noise from the passenger door as well. After applying my fix a few months ago - no wind noise whatsoever.

Now your description of your wind noise is pretty vague so I'm not sure if you have the same noise issue that I had. Definately the Rogue door seals are very flimsy and cheap, they can tear easily and are very "flat" like the Lexus guy reported on his vehicle.

But the bottom line is, the Lexus guy went to all the trouble of fishing that tubing into his door seals only to find out that this was not the source of his wind noise, insteadt he noise was coming from a location that sounds very similar to mine. If you have endless time and patience it can't hurt to do as the Lexus guy did, but I don't have this luxury and if you don't either I'd recommend trying to nail down exactly where the noise is coming from so you can properly design a fix.

nbguy66
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD with leather and tech package - black

Kerrton, I read the post about your fix. You mentioned you were going to clean up the test foam strips do a neater installation. Could you please post new photos of the fix? Also, what type of foam tape did you use? Would Canadian Tire have this?

The wind noise is getting in the way of truly enjoying my Rogue. Apart from adjusting the doors (which did little to help), my dealership hasn't been much help (but are otherwise excellent). Thanks!

kerrton

Hey, I had a large role of foam tape used for insulating pipes which works great because the adhesive is really strong and the foam is impervious to water - i.e. it won't absorb any water that comes in contact with it. I also really like it because the area where my noise comes from is a tight fit with complex geometry, nooks and crannies etc. and it would be really tough to position a strip of proper door seal material (not sure precisely which angle or spot is causing the noise so I just blanket the whole area with foam tape), so I may just stick with my foam tape fix. Also, I'm hoping Nissan will release a service bulletin on this at some point and release a proper fix, they did this for the Altima, I think 02-06 model year, so it could happen for the Rogue but no guarantees.

You can get self adhesive foam tape at Canadian Tire, Home Hardware etc., any place that has supplies for heating and cooling.

Just to be clear though, my noise was a very distinct "wooo wooo wooo", mostly in cross winds but as time progressed it started doing it at all highway speeds. In my opinion, the Rogue has lots of sources of road and wind noise so just keep that in mind.

For example, lately I've really noticed a lot of noise when hitting road bumps, cracks etc. at low to moderate speeds. It sounds like the suspension itself is noisy, but it could be lack of cabin insulation, I don't know. Also, when I go over bumps at slow speed with the windows open (spring is here!), I hear a metallic rattling from under the vehicle - very distinct and annoying. It is most likely that stupied flimsy exhaust heat shield, but I can't be sure - I'm angry to the point that I may grab my tin snips and hack the end of it off pretty soon. So I agree with you 100%, I'm having trouble fully enjoying my vehicle at this point because it really is plagued with more noises and minor "issues" than I ever imagined. Most of my old used cars that I used to buy never annoyed me even close to this much. I drive a Ford Escape hybrid for work, among a few other crossover/SUVs, and it is much tighter and quieter than my Rogue (I hate to say it, but I'm just calling it like I see it, the Ford is starting to win me over). The hybrid powertrain is noisy, but the suspension and overall cabin noise is much less than my Rogue. Also we bought a new Mazda 3 in 05 and it has such superior quality and absolute quiet operation it really highlights the shortcomings of my Nissan AND the same goes for my father-in-law's Hyundai Santa Fe - it is absolutely flawless and whisper quiet, especially the suspension which makes me wonder where all my noise is coming from and has it always been this way?

Anyway, in spite of all this I still do not regret purchasing the Rogue, in 2008 it was still the best purchase (if I was making a purchase today I don't know if it would be the winner though) and I keep telling myself that the Rogue quality will prove itself over time by never leaving me stranded and "running forever". As the vehicle ages I don't think I'll care so much about the annoying noises because it won't be "brand new" anymore, but we'll see. I also get far superior fuel efficiency and utility than most competition so I do really appreciate that.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

kerrton wrote:...the same goes for my father-in-law's Hyundai Santa Fe - it is absolutely flawless and whisper quiet, especially the suspension .
I just want to comment about the Santa Fe 2009. I really wanted my father to purchase one so we test drove it again but he never ended up purchasing it. This was last december. Moreover, it was the second time I test drove one because I was also looking at this vehicle before I ended up with the Rogue.

Anyways, last december as I sat in the rear passenger seat of the Hyundai Santa Fe, the impression that popped into my mind was how bumpy it felt or the vibration I was feeling from my seat. It was a big difference with NO car-like feel. Made me miss my Rogue. I don't really pay attention to the rear passenger ride in the Rogue since I am mostly the driver but I probably say it has a more car-like ride than the Santa Fe.

All I am commenting here is the ride. As for the noise and sound issues. I'm not really bothered and I really don't have out of the ordinary wind noise and I have every contraption sticking on my vehicle. ( Rear tube, nerf bar, bull-bar, vent-visors, & Sunroof deflector). Even if driving at 65-80 mph.

I will say I get a occasionaly sound out of nowhere but it's so rare not to be bothersome. I do notice that when I wipe my Rogue dry after washing or waxing a panel. I get a creaking sound like it was glued together. Now THAT's annoying. My nissan 1990 Maxima never did that. :sad:

The best thing to me is the car-like feel. I am amazed because they really kept that Sentra platform car like feel to this vehicle and it don't ride like a SUV as you expect, per se. I did read a professional review that said it rode like a tank on a highway, which I understood in a beneficial way as the Rogue would have that solid center heavy feel because of the electronic steering which I also like. So it feels solid on the highway too. :woot:

kerrton

Good point, I agree that the car-like handling is great, I just drove around for about an hour over lunch with my stereo blasting and man did I enjoy the drive!! In and out of traffic and parking lots, no problem and laughing at all the idiots with their big 1-ton farm trucks trying to park at Wal-Mart!

It's just when my kid and wife are with me and the stereo is off that the negative aspects start to kick in, and honestly it seems as though I've had several issues with my Rogue that are not standard across the board ex. terrible squeeking and grinding steering wheel that the dealer can't fix, door seals, and rattle from underneath. Overall it's a good car, I'm just waiting for all of my minor "noises" to be taken care. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

DanTheMan
Car: 2010 RogueSL Wickid Black Premium

I work at an insulation plant, but the remedy is easy. pack the spare wheel well with some form of insulation and most of the noise goes away. I still believe some noise comes from the stock tires, but doing this trick eliminated a lot of extra noise in the rear portion of my Rogue.

Cheers!

globe9

Dan,

What type of insulation do you recommend? Have you done this with your Rogue? I haven't gotten around to ordering the Raammat Insolite insulation. Is there something cheaper that will work just as well and can be bought locally at like a Wal-Mart, fabric store, etc? Just not sure what to use.

Thanks!

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hey Kerrton, my Rogue has a few of the same annoyances of yours.
I do have the "woooo" sound coming from it, but at this point, it's only on one highway in town, only when there's crosswinds. (I make maybe one or two drives on the highway out of town a year since it's Alaska...the highway just takes you to nowhere. Much like the Northwest Territories) So we'll see if the sound gets worse as time goes on.

I also have the same suspension noises you describe. That's probably my biggest annoyance.

My front seats also creak when making turns which I can hear most of the time even with the stereo turned up. I have yet to have the dealer take a look at it though.

I also had the center console squeak which of course Nissan did issue a TSB for.
Then there was my driver's side door handle breaking this winter forcing me to enter through the passenger side...
I also now have moisture in my driver's side headlamp assembly, but am told by my dealer that the assembly is a "vented" design, and that I can expect a bit of moisture build-up in the spring as everything begins to thaw. They gave me a TSB posting which details a procedure to dry the lenses out, which seems to work. However, it's still quite annoying.
Then there's the rattle from the bottom of the driver's side A-pillar which I will have the dealer look at when the car is in next.

So yeah, I'm right there with ya. Pretty damn annoying for a new car, especially considering my 2001 Dodge Ram never had any of those issues...just...being a Chrysler product, the power steering pump may have went out at 63k miles...and the rear differential may have blown out at 68k miles...and the u-joints and water pump may have given out at 69k miles... :P lol.
So it's like you said, it's nice knowing the car won't leave you stranded due to some BS issue, but it's annoying to have a new car that at times seems like a much older car.

DanTheMan

Globe9

I put insulation in the spare tire area and also in the two side panels in the rear, though I think I will apply a little more on the sides. I applied it in the spare tire area around the tire and the smaller areas off to the side, but made sure that I left room for the woofer on the spare. I used insulation that we manufacture for acoustical barriers/absorption mats. This material is a combination of both open and closed cell material and works quite well.

As for buying it, local stores will more than likely not have it. However, I bet if you go to a carpet company and ask for a small piece of Rebond padding, you can get it. This material that I used is almost identical to rebond padding. Actually, we sell some of this to custom carpet applications. It is made by grinding closed cell rubber insulation, applying an epoxy to it and then placing it into a press. You won't need much and they may even give you a chunk for free. This material works great, as the open cell structure lets you "cram" it into tight areas, whereas the closed cells add to the noise abatement. However, you will get the best result by placing the material in its relaxed state.

Hope this helps.

globe9

DanTheMan wrote:Globe9

As for buying it, local stores will more than likely not have it. However, I bet if you go to a carpet company and ask for a small piece of Rebond padding, you can get it. This material that I used is almost identical to rebond padding.

Thanks for the response Dan. Did a search on Home Depot website and see this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... key=Search

Is this what you mean? Will this work?

Thanks again!

DanTheMan

This is exactly what I was talking about. This material is both open and closed cell. 6x9 seems like a lot of material, but that price isn't too bad. It may be better than trying to bargain with a carpet company for some free stuff. Either way, what ever you get, I would suggest laying it flat in the sunlight for a few hours on each side. This will facilitate the removal of any off-gassing from the rubber materials. They aren't harmful, but they tend to cause an off odor, especially when they are in your car!!

I think you will be satisfied in this material.

Dan

DanTheMan

One thing, I didn't see is this materials thickness, but I would go with at least 1/2 - 3/4 inch, if not more. You may need to double up some with this rebond material, but it will work out fine.

DJ

kerrton

I'm definately right about the flimsy exhaust heat shield causing noise, specifically the metallic rattling I hear with windows down when hitting sharp bumps at low speeds. I had Nissan Service have a look while I had the oil changed today and they said "yeah it's a real piece of garbage part, yours was all bent out of shape so we bent it back which should eliminate the noise for now". I'm sure next winter when we get some big snow dumps it will get bent again, it's so flimsy you can bend it with your fingers very easily.

They also offered to replace it for me before I run out of warranty in a little less than a year, I asked if the replacement would be any better, and he said "probably not, but at least it won't be bent". He also said that it probably doesn't have much of a function to begin with so that got me thinking about just having it removed. I might look into that after warranty is up, provided my mechanic doesn't have any concerns.

But, back to the real reason I was posting in this thread: with my windows up, I hear absolutely no noise as described above, it's only with my window down that I hear the noise and then it's very audible and clear. So, in my experience with this specific issue, the Rogue soundproofing measures can't be all that bad!!

philipa_240sx

kerrton wrote:I'm definately right about the flimsy exhaust heat shield causing noise, specifically the metallic rattling I hear with windows down when hitting sharp bumps at low speeds.
Mine has been getting pretty bad lately. But I am out of warranty by some 24,000mi (40,000km). I might have to figure a way to either remove or reinforce it.

kerrton

I'd say it's a worthwhile endeavor to look at this thing a little more closely, make an assessment of it's value (i.e does it serve an important purpose?), see how it's secured and if it would be possibl to remove. My service manager and the tech who changed my oil (AND washed and hand dried my car because he had nothing else to do, shop isn't so busy lately) both told me they can't understand why Nissan even bothers with this part because it is so flimsy and doesn't really shield heat or protect any vital components. It's really curious why Nissan would include a cheap part that they must know has a good chance of degrading the perception of quality of this vehicle - if you hear rattling noises from under the car it doesn't give the owner a very good feeling, and perception is everything!

Like I said, I'll probably leave mine alone until after warranty then maybe get my other shop to see about yanking it off, but I'd be interested to know what you decide to do with yours...

ThandaPani
Car: 2010 Rogue SL

I noticed the road noise on my first HWY trip and friend suggested to get performance tire to reduce it. Seems like Phillip's experience proves that point. But I am still debating withthe cost. I probably will wait till the stock wears out and that might take a while.

So Phillip, how much did you spend on Yokohoma TRZs?

kerrton

Hi ThandaPani,

This thread is for wind noise, for tire discussions please post in the "All-Season Replacement Tire" thread, where Philip has already reported on the details of his Yok tire purchase including price paid.

Thank you!

johny_maple
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S FWD

Just wondering if our decision not to have the Rogue rustproofed by the dealership has anything to do with road/wind noise. On previous vehicles, the rustproofing/undercoating was a foamy type of material which in later years, peeled off in chunks. This time we had Krown rustproofing which is not a foam-type material. I think we are rustproofed but not soundproofed. Regardless, as soon as it gets warm enough, I'll be adding Rebond-type material in the trunk and around the wheel wells.

PlatinumGraphite
Car: 2011 Rogue SV

What a coincidence this post popped up today. This morning I applied a temporary seal to my driver's side door. this foam seal was left over from some work on my home door, but after hearing a squeek for a few weeks, and it was getting worse, I was jamming pieces of paper into cracks of the door to eliminate the rattle/sqeak. After a few days of this, I started really looking at the door last night and noticed that, not only are the door seals the flimsiest things I've ever seen on a car, but it wasn't even pushed in around the driver's door properly. I pushed it all in, but the rattle was still there. So, decided to put this foam seal down the side until I could get to the service dept to have something done properly. It worked. The rattle is gone, plus some of the wind noise I was hearing from the door was better. What really upsets me though, is when you press on the door or window from the outside, it gives, like there is play in the door. I did the same thing to my 91 Rodeo and there was no play in the door. I wonder if it's possible to replace all the flimsy original door seals with sturdier seals? I checked out my friend's Sentra that is around 4 yrs old, and she has sturdy seals and no play in the door, so these seals must be fairly new?

kerrton

I had wind noise issues with my drivers door as described above, but my doors are solid, no give when you push on them. I think your door needs to be adjusted and possibly the hinge bolts tightened up. If you have warranty left I'd let Nissan adjust that door so when you push on it it feels solid..

Return to “Rogue Forum”