Wind Noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jazzy5454
Car: rogue

I had bought my 2008 rogue in dec & i have a howling wind noise as well. it has been taken in to the dealership (4) times & they do not know where it comes from. I am not sure if you take the crossbars off it will go away? I do know that i have tred folded in my side mirrors & for now when i do this i do not hear a wind noise? Who knows the noise is very annoying and for a 26,000 dollar car you should not have to deal with this. Anyone have any good ideas?

OnlineUser
Car: Nissan Rogue S

WE just bought a Rogue S and took it on a 1800 mile road trip. On our way back we experienced terrible wind noise -- kind of like a lame ghost impersanation - we were going 75 mph (the speed limit!) and it was windy as heck. We experimented and discovered with the passenger window all the way up it caused the noise and if just barely moved it down it wouldn't make the noise. Luckily we had a video camera and recorded the noise as there is no way service would think there is anything wrong just by looking at it. If they can't fix it, they can take their car back. Not paying $25K for a noisy highway trip!

apd183
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I think the noise is coming from the door seams. I hear it during windy weather (which is common here in Texas) at high-ish speeds while driving into the wind. I am able to make it go away by pulling the top of the door frame in, though I can't tell if the noise is from air being channeled between the door and frame or if it's leaking through the weatherstripping. During one windy rainstorm I found some water on the frame inside the weatherstripping, so I'm leaning towards that.

I have not been to the dealer about it yet as I have just recently determined the source of the noise.

jazzy5454
Car: rogue

IF YOU FIND OUT THE PROBLEM PLEASE POST SO I CAN GET MINE FIXED.THANK YOU

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Yeah, it must be a problem with a seal, because my Rogue is whisper quiet on the highway, and the Rogue usually gets praised for quiet interior in most reviews I've read. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the problem soon.

By the way, I don't understand your poll. The two choices are "why" and "help" - can you clarify what these mean?

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

I have the same problem, but I have no idea what your poll means. Why and Help?

philipa_240sx

Poll didn't make sense to me either. I deleted it.

OnlineUser

Of course we took the rogue in with the video/audio evidence which they admitted they heard. They couldn't reproduce the sound so, hey, hope it doesn't happen again! Well, today we drove out to the lake and voila! The wind noise problem occurred again!! Now, what are my chances that Nissan will simply allow me to exchange my vehicle for a non-faulty one (as is the case with other products!) I have 1800 miles on it only.

philipa_240sx

Hmmm, these wind noise issues remind me of my 2003 Altima. There was some weatherstripping on the drivers side window that simply would not seal. Nissan did release a tech bulletin for it... a carefully placed piece of foam that would 'expand' the weatherstipping to seal the gap. Perhaps it's the same issue here?

jsizzle
Car: 08 nissan rogue

i just bought a 2008 rogue and i was having this same problem, tell your dealer to use an air blower around the mirror, in between the cracks where the mirror bolts on. if starts making the noise tell them to put some foam tape in between the mirror and the bracket it bolts up to(there are three little screws holding the mirror on the bracket, you can unscrew them threw the bottom). If they do this it should take of the problem. make sure they put it around the whole mirror or it will keep making the noise.

OnlineUser

Our problem seems to be something to do with the window seal. When we have it 99% closed no problem (other than it being louder inside than it should) and when we close it all the way the power windows let us, that's when we have the issue. Can't be the mirror then. Right? I am going to attempt to have Nissan simply give me a new vehicle if this one can't be fixed -- this is what would be done with any other product consumers purchase.

jsizzle
Car: 08 nissan rogue

My rogue was doing the same as yours, and what i did was put some foam tape in between the seems of the mirror where the mirror is bolted on. your dealer should try what i did. it unscrews at the bottom of the mirror, there is a little cover and when they take that off there will be three screws, once they take the screws off the mirror can hang there, then they can put foam tape everywhere.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

My noises seem related to roof rails. Only when the wind is coming in at a certain angle does the 'whistle' sound come about, and its often fleeting since it only appears to happen at certain traveling speeds and specific wind velocities.

It reminds me of the noise of crossbars, and snowboards on the roof of my old car.

janemackey
Car: infiniti ex

Anyone find any solutions yet? I just found this site after purchasing a new Rogue for my daughter. Wind noise is horrible!.....but of course didn't find that out until driving it home!......Please advise if you've had luck finding an answer. So far the dealer has replaced two pieces on either side of the front windshield they thought were causing a tunneling effect thereby making the noise. Didn't work. We are just trying to figure it out! Thanks.

ClauBerg
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009

I bought a Rogue 2009 and I have a very loud wind noise when it is windy outside.The wind need to be on a certain angle and a loud noise appears under the vehicle.The dealer said that it was not dangerous but it is not very interesting for a 26000$ vehicle.I begin to regret my purchase. The dealer is unable to find the trouble.I think I will send a complaint to Nissan.

RO-G
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I had wind noise problem on my old cars before Honda Civic and Infiniti G35 when I hit 100km/hr even if it is not windy outside. The dealership couldn't solve the problem on my G35 and I simply had to give up.

My Rogue has also wind noise when I reach speeds of 120km/hr but not as annoying as the one on G35 which I expected to be quieter because it was a $50K car. Now a days, when I hear wind noise, I just crank up the music volume.

RO-G

philipa_240sx wrote: Nissan did release a tech bulletin for it... a carefully placed piece of foam that would 'expand' the weatherstipping to seal the gap. Perhaps it's the same issue here?
Philip,Maybe TSBs are already posted in one of the sticky threads ... just too lazy to look around. If not, I suggest a sticky thread be put up for all TSBs related to Rogue.Thanks.

RO-G

bump for Philip to reply ... thanks!

philipa_240sx

RO-G wrote:bump for Philip to reply ... thanks!
You can find links to all the TSB's in the Official Rogue FAQ.

I have rechecked them tonight and there is no TSB relating to wind noise issues.

RO-G

philipa_240sx wrote:
You can find links to all the TSB's in the Official Rogue FAQ.

I have rechecked them tonight and there is no TSB relating to wind noise issues.
Thanks Philip.

nbguy66
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD with leather and tech package - black

My 09 Rogue has 2200 km. When driving about 80 km/h or faster I've been hearing a whistling sound that seems to be coming form the windshield area. I've experimented with vent openings and fan speeds but the problem persists. When I mentioned this to the dealer, they thought it may be due to the bug deflector. I've yet to take it off and run the Rogue. Any thoughts?

How did you solve your wind noise whistling problems? Besides cranking up the sound system volume.

kerrton

I listened to the main roof rails whistle and "woooo" for 6 hours this week, it was terrible. Prior to this trip, I only got the occaissional whistling noise in strong cross-winds, so I really can't imagine what has changed suddenly but all of a sudden my bars whistle almost constantly at highway speeds. I did a detailed inspection of them and can't detect anything obvious that would cause the noise, other than the fact that the base rubber material that the bars sit on is not tight, I can move it around with my finger so perhaps air gets into that space and causes the noise, but I'm really not convinced.

Has anyone had this problem and a successful resolution from their dealer? If so, please share some details, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

philipa_240sx

Kerrton, you should take some pics so we can see what you are talking about. Might help the others as well.

Let me know if you need a place to upload/host them.

kerrton

Good suggestion, I'll do that and I'm also going to take off the side drivers mirror and apply foam tape if possible as others have suggested.

As the "roof rail nosie" only seems to come from the drivers side, I'm beginning to wonder if it is in fact coming from the side mirror.

Very annoying and hard on the ears, but I won't give up until I get it taken care of.....pics will be coming, I don't have a place to host them yet but I think there are some free sites that I can use.

kerrton

Update:

The wind noise on my car is still present, but I have ruled out a few potential causes and with the help of the dealer feel I am very close to solving this problem.

1) The two holes on the underside of the roof rails were covered, but the noise is still present.

2) I removed my driver's side mirror and applied foam tape to the mounting surface, but the noise is still present.

3) Discussed the issue with my service dept today, they said they were aware of some Rogue's making the "wooooo" wind noise, which sounds like it's coming from the main roof rails. However, my service manager feels the noise is not coming from the rails but rather the driver's door seal. He indicated that it's almost impossible to nail down the cause of intermittent road noises, but if we wait a while Nissan may release a TSB so we agreed it wasn't urgent and we'd discuss it again later.

So I had a look at the door and window seals on the driver's side and there's plenty of potential spots where some wind noise could be developing. The trick is, like Philip said in a previous post regarding his 03 Altima, is the fix has to be "carefully placed", or else I could go crazy sticking foam tape all around the door and window (which I just might do before this is over, it's driving me nuts!).

So I'm going to stick to the scientific method as best I can: keep everything constant and manipulate one variable at a time. I'll pick a spot to beef up the door seal, drive it on windy days and note if the noise is still present, if so, try another spot that looks like a likely candidate and keep going until problem is solved.

I'm going to be patient and it might take a while but I'll find the source of the noise. When I do I'll be sure to share it, and if I get lucky maybe Nissan will solve the issue for me, but in the meantime I'm going to be proactive.

philipa_240sx

Kerrton,

I'll e-mail you the 2 TSB's for the Altima wind noise issues. Maybe this will give you a starting point. I also noticed a fair bit of noise on crosswinds so hopefully we can find a fix!

The TSB's are:

NTB02-041: 2002 ALTIMA; WIND NOISE DUE TO HOLE IN DOOR SEALER.

A small gap in the sheet metal at the front corner of the door near the mirror creates noise. Solution: seal the hole with 3M Acryl-Green Spot Putty #05960 sealer.

NTB05-006: 2002 – 2005 ALTIMA; WIND NOISE FROM FRONT DOOR UPPER REAR CORNER

The window and door seal on the upper rear does not completely seal out wind. Solution: Apply specially formed soft foam inserts to the effected areas.

kerrton

PROBLEM AREA IDENTIFIED AND SOLVED!!!!
My service manager was right, the source of the "wooooo" wind noise, whichi is particularly bad with cross winds, is the drivers door seal and NOT the roof rack main rails and NOT the side mirror.

I applied foam tape to various areas and then tested the results, which allowed me to rule out many potential causes including the side mirror. I'm lucky enough to live in one of the windiest spots in all of North Amercia - Lethbridge, Alberta so I had the perfect conditions the last 5 days to really test this out in detail.

Here is the spot where I applied several layers of foam tape to properly seal the door and eliminate the wind noise (I know it's a rough job, I plan on cleaning this up and doing a neater job now that I know this is the culpret). There was quite a gap there so I really applied a lot of tape to build up the area:

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac29 ... C02361.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac29 ... C02363.jpg

kerrton

Anyone else have similar issues?

acidburn88888888

same here, once the car reach 80 i can hear the noise between door frame and body frame at top peak of window, it happen on both side front seat, person on the back seat they can see the gap in between, deal wont test drive or fix, reason they give me is they cant drive that fast only speed limits is 70 anything about that they cant do anything, they also told me, even the "Nissan Technion" cant test drive it, because the speed safety issue. SO the result nothing they can do about it.
anyone have idea? should we all make some kind of complaint to Nissan?

PS: they just have new bulletin say fuel gage has problem, my car been fix twice same problem, fill up full tank gas,My 09 Rogue has 2200 km. When driving about 80 km/h or faster I've been hearing a whistling sound that seems to be coming form the windshield area. show missing 3 gaps after 5 min driving.

year 2009 Rogue SL

acmm
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

On a recent trip from NY to FLA, I noticed an occasional wind noise (woo sound) above 75mph only when experiencing crosswinds created when passing trailer trucks or crossing a bridge,etc. I believe the sound is coming from the driver side mirror at the attachment point as indicated earlier in this thread or I suspect it may even be resonating from the mirror housing itself. I plan to stuff the housing with foam insulation and see if it eliminates the problem. If not I will move on to the attachment theory. Based on the sound it makes, I don't believe it's coming from the window seal but I won't rule that out yet. Any body have other theories or solutions to this annoying problem?? :wtf2:

Return to “Rogue Forum”