"Ringing" Engine Noise Anyone?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
MagicMan2000
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD

Hello - I am new to this forum and am the proud owner of a new EX35 Journey -- awesome vehicle!

I'm thrilled to see so many active bloggers expressing different things about their EX.

So...here's my first one. I've begun to notice that when I depress the gas pedal, I hear a ringing sound (much like the ringing sound you have after you leave a night club/listen to loud music for a prolong period). While in drive, the sound happens immediately as I depress the gas. While in neutral, the sound doesn't come around until about 2k rpm. It's very subtle, but now that I know it's there, it is VERY anoying. So, does anyone else have this issue. Either my hearing is like superman's or I'm going crazy - I hope it's the first option.

I'm wondering if it's related to the fuel pump noise I hear at startup...I'm going in on Monday to have the pump replaced and perhaps that will solve it, but I'm doubtful. I think the two issues are independent.

Thoughts?

sg77
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Do you mean a high-pitched, quiet, humming sound? I hear that too when pressing the gas pedal at slow speeds. My fuel pump has been replaced already and I don't think that made a difference. I don't always hear the high-pitched sound though; I think most of the time I don't hear it (maybe because I usually have the radio on).

MagicMan2000

Yes, you could say it is a high-pitched, quiet, humming sound -- except it happens at all speeds, not just slow ones; and it doesn't get louder with speed...it's just constant. I thought it may be the radio or blower, but I've turned everything off and it's still there. This leads me to believe that its coming from the engine compartment. It is VERY difficult to geolocate because it is so high-pitched, it sounds like it's everywhere. Strange huh?

I too turn up the radio and it becomes inaudible...maybe that's the fix!

I don't think it will leave me stranded, but it sure can get anoying when I'm listening for it.

I've heard it in other cars I've driven (I'm always traveling, so I rent an aweful lot of cars), but I usually don't care because it's a rental...

I can see me at the dealer trying to explain this..."you hear it, you hear it? There it is again, just press the gas pedal." Technician says, "I don't hear anything...you're hearing things. Perhaps you should go see a shrink."

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

MagicMan2000 wrote:Technician says, "I don't hear anything...you're hearing things. Perhaps you should go see a shrink."
Hehe ... welcome to NICO, Magic!!

I don't hear the sound you're describing, but that could just be the ravages of too many years playing in a rock band. I've owned several turbo-charged cars that emit a characteristic whistling, but not in my EX.

Cheers,David

sg77
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I did some more experimenting with the high-pitched noise:- In addition to happening when I press the gas pedal, it also happens when cruise control makes the car accelerate without my foot on any pedal.- It happens only when the engine is running (not in ACC/ON with engine off).- It happens in any gear (Drive, Park, Neutral, Reverse).- The sound seems to always be the same pitch and volume, regardless of speed/RPM. (At high speeds there's too much background noise for me to hear it though.)

aft981
Car: Infiniti EX35

YES!!

I've been meaning to post about this one actually.

I think the best way of describing it is a very high pitched electrical buzzing noise. Just one pitch. It's either there or its not. It does it as soon as the gas pedal is depressed even the slightest amount, or like you said if cruise control takes over. I normally have the radio on fairly loud so can't hear it, but with it turned down or off its ALWAYS there. It's coming from inside the cabin somewhere, no idea what it is though, and it is annoying. You're right, it does sound like when you've been at a club for hours and you come out and your ears are ringing.

The problem with this is that it's so high pitched, quite a few people may not be able to hear it. As you get older, your ability to hear higher frequencies diminishes.

MagicMan2000

Well alright then!

So, I don't have to go see a shrink afterall

sg77 and aft981 thank you for confirming my suspicion!!

See, once you hear it for the first time and know what to listen for, it will never go away. It's kinda like this:

Well, I have news. I took my car into the dealer today to get the fuel pump replaced and to investigate this sound. Good news and bad news. Good news: They replaced the fuel pump so no more start-up noise!!!Bad news: They were unable to notice the high-pitched noise I can hear each time I step on the gas pedal.

The technician said that if enough people complain about it (like the fuel pump issue), then Infiniti would likely issue a TSB. The key for the moment is to be patient he said ...so,

I'm curious to see if the more people who come across this thread write about it as well...please do, I need more therapy that says I'm not crazy or hearing things.

But for now it's just

MagicMan2000

Does anyone have any new news on this one?

It's super anoying and I'm finding it difficult to fathom how I'm going to have this car for years with this ringing...I've tried to ignore it, but now that I know it's there, I can't! It sucks having to listen to it.

All the way to work today I was listening to it and now I'm really a grump so sorry for the sour mood...

KJ911TT
Car: 2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2008 Infiniti EX35

MagicMan2000 wrote:Does anyone have any new news on this one?

It's super anoying and I'm finding it difficult to fathom how I'm going to have this car for years with this ringing...I've tried to ignore it, but now that I know it's there, I can't! It sucks having to listen to it.

All the way to work today I was listening to it and now I'm really a grump so sorry for the sour mood...
I e-mailed Infiniti regarding your problem and they replied with the following:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

We have looked into your problem and have been advised to inform you that the fix for your problem is included with your vehicle.

Your vehicle is equipped with an 11-speaker Bose audio system that not only sounds great, but is extremely effective at drowning out random noises that may surface during regular use of your vehicle.

If you continue hearing the sound, please turn up the volume of the audio system until you can no longer hear the sound.

We would like to thank you for purchasing an Infiniti vehcile and if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-662-6200."

I hope that helps!

- KJ

MagicMan2000

Thats great. Thanks.

tazdevl
Car: EX35 Journey AWD Plat Graph/Stone - Fully Loaded

KJ911TT wrote:
I e-mailed Infiniti regarding your problem and they replied with the following:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

We have looked into your problem and have been advised to inform you that the fix for your problem is included with your vehicle.

Your vehicle is equipped with an 11-speaker Bose audio system that not only sounds great, but is extremely effective at drowning out random noises that may surface during regular use of your vehicle.

If you continue hearing the sound, please turn up the volume of the audio system until you can no longer hear the sound.

We would like to thank you for purchasing an Infiniti vehcile and if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-662-6200."

I hope that helps!

- KJ
I hope that's a joke. Besides... the Bose System can't hold a candle to the Lexus Mark Levinson/Acura ELS System.

I also am having the same issue. Taken my car in 4 times now and still the Service Director can't hear a damn thing. I thought I was going nuts as well... until my wife heard it too.

If anyone figures out what this is... please post it here. I've got an appointment next week.

BTW... I think the trick to diagnosing this is to drive the car with a tech... since you know how to make the noise consistently. Have them sit in the seat behind you. High frequency noise is directional and I think the noise is coming from the front passenger area. So if someone is sitting there... they are blocking the noise from being heard.

If anyone wants Mark Igo's email address (General Manager of Infiniti) to complain, let me know and I'll post it.

Modified by tazdevl at 10:37 PM 12/21/2008

tazdevl

Due to the holidays I had to reschedule my appointment. Anyone else had any luck on this?

I don't think the noise is from the engine compartment. It's electrical in nature and almost sounds like it could be a grounding issue or a short circuit.
Modified by tazdevl at 9:03 AM 2/19/2009

MagicMan2000

I too think it's a grounding issue.

I've had a friend press the gas pedal while I perused around the engine compartment and I couldn't find anything there. I'ts coming from within the cabin area in the front. I suspect that it may be behind the status/nav screen, but have been unable to verify...

tazdevl

There is a god.... took my car in and the master tech heard the sound. Looks like 5th time is the charm. I do feel their pain though... they're just trying to fix problems with the car that most likely came from the factory.

Will post what the resolution is later, asssuming they have one.

Here's what I told them...- Electrical whine or ringing (good description magicman... think that made the diff) sound that happens under gentle acceleration from a stop. - If they don't know what to listen for, they can try taking their foot off the gas suddenly and they should notice the absence of sound.- Also easy to hear when at speed and you're lightly goosing the throttle to maintain speed.- Easier to hear under 40mph.- Cannot have someone in the passenger seat because the sound is emanating from that area.
Modified by tazdevl at 3:49 PM 1/22/2009

tazdevl

Service Director at the dealership called Infiniti engineers. Trying to pin down the issue.

If this doesn't get resolved soon... I'm about to hit the frequency limit with the lemon law. Don't blame the dealership, they're doing their best but Infiniti needs to do a better job on the design, manuf or QC front. This in many ways has been a less than desirable ownership experience because the car has been in so many times for so many different things.

Not to mention, I still have a driver side window rattle on asphalt seamed roads and drivers seat shift under hard braking (but not panicked) which has yet to be "witnessed" by the dealership.
Modified by tazdevl at 9:10 AM 2/19/2009

MagicMan2000

Hey tazdevl -- thanks for the updates you're having from this experience. After the dealer told me that it was just part of the car, I guess I simply stopped trying. I'm thrilled to hear that your dealer heard the noise too!!!

Have you brought up the 5 time in the shop lemon law thing with them? Were they receptive?

k37
Car: Infiniti G37 Journey

hey Magic man thanks for the laugh. i'm cracking up here and not cause i think you're funny but because i relate to you in every which way 100%. the only difference is i own a g37 and have been trying to get this issue fixed since i've gotten the car in nov. 2007. I've been to dealer after dealer simply trying to get ONE technician to hear what i hear and its all for not. funny all my friends seem to hear the noise right off the bat but the experts themselves make me out to be some mad juggernaut. anyhow you are right on the money that once you hear the noise it bugs you like

a little info to add to this:

Contact Bose Headquarters as i have and file a complaint: [email protected] or call them direct 508-766-9522

i've been on tabs with them for a month now and even though their technicians dont hear it the more people that contact them the more they wont treat this as an "isolated" case.

Best of luck to us all and most importantly our sanities!

Modified by k37 at 4:09 AM 1/27/2009

Modified by k37 at 4:09 AM 1/27/2009
Modified by k37 at 4:10 AM 1/27/2009

tazdevl

MM... I don't think a luxury car maker designed the car to make a whine/ringing noise every time the car accelerates. If you make a car quieter by reducing driving noise, you better damn well be sure you have all your interior noises nailed. Regardles, no one should have to accept it in this day and age, expecially with a Japanese car.

K37... Called Bose and Infiniti to file a complaint.

FYI if you're calling Bose, you need to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs at 800-662-6200 and get a complaint number generated first.

MM... Infiniti doesn't need to be OK with it. The law varies state by state but in general if your car is in the shop 5 times for the same repair or more than 30 days in your first 2 years of ownership you can get your money back... less usage of course.

k37

yah i did that taz. while i had infiniti consumer affairs on the phone i asked them who i could speak to if the dealer was being ignorant to our problem and she said "we rely on the dealer to be our eyes and ears so if they cant replicate it we cant do much for you." gotta love it.

tazdevl

k37 wrote:yah i did that taz. while i had infiniti consumer affairs on the phone i asked them who i could speak to if the dealer was being ignorant to our problem and she said "we rely on the dealer to be our eyes and ears so if they cant replicate it we cant do much for you." gotta love it.

I like Infinitis but I'm about ready to go to buy a Lexus so I won't have these issues and I can deal with a company that tries to fix problems if they do occur... or I'll buy a BMW, then I'll know what to expect when it comes to crappy service from corporate and a car that has problems.
Modified by tazdevl at 1:42 PM 1/27/2009

k37

hey Taz what happened at service did they get in contact with the infiniti engineers? will there can there be a fix anytime soon???

tazdevl

No news yet. I'm going to check my service records to see if I've been in enough to qualify for the lemon law. I like the car, but I have better things to do with my time than keep taking it in to have problems fixed that shouldn't be occurring in the first place.

GoGoG37

You guys are not alone on this High-Pitch/Frequency Noise!!

G37 has the same problem.

http://myg37.com/forums/g37-se....html

tazdevl

GoGoG37 wrote:You guys are not alone on this High-Pitch/Frequency Noise!!

G37 has the same problem.

http://myg37.com/forums/g37-se....html
Thanks for letting us know. For those of you that are extremely sick of Infiniti sitting on its *** and not taking care of its customers like a luxury automaker should, feel free to emai Mark Igo directly. He's the GM of Infiniti USA.

[email protected]@[email protected]

I sent an email to his office a while ago and got a response from his executive assistant. So one of these is correct. Just send it to all 3.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease and the more people that send him emails and annoy him, the greater the chance that this will either get solved or it becomes very easy for us to get our money back from Infiniti under the lemon law by proving this is a widespread issue.

GoGo37, please post his email address on the forum you linked to and any others you're a member of.

GoGoG37

Have you tried pulling fuses out to isolate the area?

GoGoG37

"Link: http://myg37.com/forums/audio-....html

batmobile posts:

I had the same issue, only I heard the high pitch noise everytime I pressed the accelerator. Just a tap and I would hear the noise, i took it to the dealer 6 times ( I do not give up!) and finally had it fixed. It is the bose system that causes the issue, A bose rep came to the dealership and actually replaced all of my speakers (don't know if they are updated or not, but the back ones sound better) and now I do not have that noise. Maybe the speakers they used prior are not as good as the '09 models?"

tazdevl

GoGoG37 wrote:Have you tried pulling fuses out to isolate the area?
Naw I'm waiting to hear from Mark Igo's office to see if they're going to do anything for me. Don't hear by Friday, I'm filing under the lemon law. Been in 4 times or more for the issue and I have it documented that they heard it.

There are more reliable cars out there (actually all the problems I've had with my EX it should be a german car) and I have better things to do with my time than troubleshoot an issue that shouldn't be happening. In the end it's just a car.

I also don't want to support a company that takes my cash on the front end and refuses to step up when they're at fault.

I told them to pull the speakers the first time and they refused to do it.

GoGoG37

you should forward him the link: http://myg37.com/forums/g37-se...49577

He should know that this is bigger problem.

They should pick the right vendors to use in the car.

tazdevl

Ah but you're assuming that replacing the speakers solves the issue or it's the same issue. It may not be.

He's probably sick of hearing from me.

splautz
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey /w Premium, Nav, Tech, Luxe Style

I got my EX35 about a month ago and I too noticed this high pitch noise. This was before I even read this forum about it. So far I only heard it once and I do not desire to try to hear it again, knowing full well if I do, it will annoy me more and more. LOL But during that one time of hearing it, I had the radio off or down low. And I had determined it ONLY happened when I accelerated and that it went away if I turned my head from side to side. It was like a directional noise which if I turned my ear in one direction, it completely went away. Looking in the natural forward direction, I could hear it, so yes, it was likely from the passenger area. Anyway, I have not heard it since that one time and have no desire to "try" to hear this again. lol Although I did note a couple times that I wasn't hearing it.

The noise is high pitched and faint. Even if persistent I don't think I'd be too annoyed by it especially since my radio is nearly always on in the car. But if a comfirmed solution is found, I'd listen for it more, try to replicate it and get mine fixed too if possible. lol

The two "noises" I'm more concerned right now are:1) A rubbing/grinding/groaning noise is sometimes momentarily heard/felt while making the first turn or two after first starting the car. After a turn or two, it doesn't happen again until turning the engine off for awhile. And it doesn't always happen.. And it seems to be happening less I think, so I'm hoping it's just part of the "break-in" of my new EX, which still has less than 2k miles on it.2) I notice the engine makes more hot popping noises after turning it off than the other cars I've owned. Even when I stop the car and get out while the engine is idling, I can hear the popping. But while inside the cabin, the popping cannot be heard unless maybe I lower the windows and stop. It's the sound of the hot engine cooling.. but I'm just wondering if it's normal to have this much hot popping noise.. maybe a "breakin" issue too?

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”