Real Projectors...Update

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
AJVersa
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa S Hatchback

Since no one answered my original post I had to do my own research. I found hidplanet.com and a ton of “how to” info. After about a month on the HiD form I ordered a H1 mini system. The kit includes everything you need. Projector lamps with shrouds and mounting hardware, HID bulbs, wiring harness, and ballast. Everything except step-by-step instructions. You’ll need to watch a few YouTube videos for that. theretrofitsource.com has generic assembly info on it’s site. But you'er on your own. Members on HID forum will help with some questions. Check the How To section first.
Installation is a breeze, after you’ve opened your headlight assembly. I used a Dermel tool to cut my lenses open. After trying the oven heating method (20 min @ 225*) for over 3 hours, I gave up. Only opening half of one lense. Damage to the H/L housing was becoming extensive. Lucky for me all of the damaged part of the housing is hidden under the fender. The “Permaseal” was as tough as nails, the housing was melting faster then the sealant. The Dermel method took about 20 min to complete the second lense. Cutting slowly and carefully, made a nice clean opening.
After that assembly is pretty easy. My H/L required no modification to install projector. Remove the halogen bulb shield, and bulb retainer clip. Install the projector. BEFORE sealing lense, mount H/L on car to check alignment. Install the wiring harness and ballast on car. I mounted my ballast underneath the H/L housing with “Locktite” double sided tape. (see edit below) Seal your lenses. I used 100% silicon sealant, it needs 24hrs to set and cure. Reinstall your H/Ls and adjust the aim.
Plan at least two days of work start to finish.

This mod was well worth the time and effort. The change in lighting is absolutely amazing. All car should have proper HID projectors.

ImageImage
Before
After

Edit 3/22/2013 Found one of my ballast had come lose. Used metal strap as bracket.

Last edited by AJVersa on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DhiJay23
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa HB

can you up any tuts please? thanks

AJVersa

I have never been a good teacher. I can only lead you to the sources of my information. If you find more info, share it with the form.

Don’t forget to use the FSM.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/versa/

How to remove grille
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/blacke ... orial.html

How to remove headlight
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/changi ... enons.html

YouTube - How to open headlights
How to retrofit Bi-xenon lights

A wealth of knowledge on everything about retrofitting
http://www.hidplanet.com/

Source of retrofit kits and more good info
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Read, read, read!!!
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ultima ... ing-forum/

hemifan87
Car: 2009 versa 1.8 sedan
1987 nissan 200sx

looking good :dblthumb:

AJVersa

Thanks, Hemifan87. I was a little shaky about opening the headlight. But when it was all done, I'm very happy with the results.
BTW Really like those red wheels.

hemifan87
Car: 2009 versa 1.8 sedan
1987 nissan 200sx

thanks AJVersa I get noticed everywhere cause of those wheels lol I really want to do that conversion on my headlights I wanted the projectors that were out but they are very hard to find now

JHR16DE
Car: 2010 Nissan Versa 1.6

Headlights look badass dude. Would you mind telling me how you opened them?

AJVersa

hemifan87
thanks AJVersa I get noticed everywhere cause of those wheels lol I really want to do that conversion on my headlights I wanted the projectors that were out but they are very hard to find now
I found a used JDM OEM xenon headlight for $750+shipping from Japan (1 left side headlight). :facepalm: If you want bolt-on lights, search Ebay under "Tiida". I found them from China for $400 per pair and up.
IMO, you'll feel more pride if you DIY. Check out hidplanet.com Guys on the forum know retrofit lighting inside out. There are guys who will do the convertion for you. (Not Me!) Price... I've seen $500 - $1000 or more, depends on what you want done.

P.S. I am not promoting anyone. :nono:
JHR16DE
Headlights look badass dude. Would you mind telling me how you opened them?
Thanks. IMHO, cutting the lenses open with a Dremel tool is cleaner and easier. The cut seam will be hidden under the fender when reinstalled on your car. Or you could go with Oven Heat or Heat Gun method, your choice. I think a heat gun gives you more control. The housing of our Versa OEM lights is a soft plastic. It deforms easily. The OEM sealer is hard as rocks. It doesn't loosen easily. Too much heat WILL DAMAGE your lenses BEYOND REPAIR !!! :ohno:
Check YouTube, and the How-To section on hidplanet.com.

JHR16DE

Thanks for the info. What kind of paint did you use? And how many coats did you apply?

AJVersa

I used automotive spray can paint. Hi-temp is not required. 2 coats primer, 2 coats of finish. Wipe everthing down with rubbing alchol before spraying. No sanding required, paint right over the chrome finish.

JHR16DE

Thanks, you're a great help.

sergmx
Car: 2012 Versa Hatchback S

Great write up! I plan to do a retrofit hopefully sometime soon, and this thread will definitely be a big help.

AJVersa

Glad to help, sergmx. Spend some time on HIDplanet and you'll find all the info you need. Good Luck.

sergmx

Once I find a set of headlights I plan to begin this project. Out of curiosity if you don't mind, how much money do you think you spent on the materials? everything but the oem headlights of course.

Edit:: one more thing lol, how is the high beam output? I do love how bright the high beams are from the oem lights output..

AJVersa

I've read that aftermarket lights are easier to open. (with heat) I didn't want to buy an extra set of lights, and saved $200.00. If you need your car everyday, then for sure get them. I went a whole week with the front of my car on the ground. (I'm retired, I work slow)
The light output of a xenon bulb has only one intensity, full 100% brightness. A cutoff shield inside the projector, blocks part of the opening which the light passes thru. (Low beam) The shield is lowered by a solenoid to allow full illumination. (High beam) I swapped my OEM bulbs for Silverstars, which were a little brighter. I'm now using 5K xenons which are much brighter. The "high beam" is like a floodlight. VERY BRIGHT! There are more expensive projectors that throw more light. But they require "major surgery" to install. For easy installation and no modifications stick with MMH1, or MMD2S projectors.
I spent $270.00 for the MMH1 complete kit. $39.00 for a basic dremel tool, plus $20.00 for an accessory kit (I didn't use). $23.00 for a string of 96 LEDs. $6.00 for a tube of silicone. About $10.00 for paint. And about $20.00 clamps and vice grips, which I only used on the part of the lense opened by heating. You'll need a 10mm socket and openend wrench, Channel lock pliers, and a #1, and long #2 philips screwdriver.
Read, How To: Pre-Install Morimoto Mini Tips, on HIDPlanet, graphite spray $5.00.

sergmx

AJVersa wrote:I've read that aftermarket lights are easier to open. (with heat) I didn't want to buy an extra set of lights, and saved $200.00. If you need your car everyday, then for sure get them. I went a whole week with the front of my car on the ground. (I'm retired, I work slow)
The light output of a xenon bulb has only one intensity, full 100% brightness. A cutoff shield inside the projector, blocks part of the opening which the light passes thru. (Low beam) The shield is lowered by a solenoid to allow full illumination. (High beam) I swapped my OEM bulbs for Silverstars, which were a little brighter. I'm now using 5K xenons which are much brighter. The "high beam" is like a floodlight. VERY BRIGHT! There are more expensive projectors that throw more light. But they require "major surgery" to install. For easy installation and no modifications stick with MMH1, or MMD2S projectors.
I spent $270.00 for the MMH1 complete kit. $39.00 for a basic dremel tool, plus $20.00 for an accessory kit (I didn't use). $23.00 for a string of 96 LEDs. $6.00 for a tube of silicone. About $10.00 for paint. And about $20.00 clamps and vice grips, which I only used on the part of the lense opened by heating. You'll need a 10mm socket and openend wrench, Channel lock pliers, and a #1, and long #2 philips screwdriver.
Read, How To: Pre-Install Morimoto Mini Tips, on HIDPlanet, graphite spray $5.00.

Sweet. Thanks for the good info! I do daily drive my car, so I'm still constantly browsing websites searching for some cheap used headlights. No matter what condition they are in, I plan to re surface them hopefully making them look new again. Once I pick some up I will begin the process.

From what you said about what I'll be needing (besides the headlights themselves), I'll just be buying the complete retrofit kit, the MMHI and MMD2s projectors, and a tube of silicone. I don't think I'll be repainting the inside of the lights or adding LEDs. Excited to begin this though hopefully soon!

sergmx

Hey AJVersa, could you send me a larger image of how you painted your housing? I can't make up my mind how I want to paint mine yet/what colors I wanna use..

AJVersa

I don't have any pics of the actual painting. When you seperate the bezel and lense just spray away. The only masking you'll need is the marker light reflector surface. The little side lense pulls out. The large yellow side reflector? Mask it, remove it, or paint over it. Your choice.
As for color? Black to match your grille. Or gray to match your car. You could get creative and leave just a little chrome.
IMO gray body match would look great. I went with black to match my black taillights.

[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/9632 ... d68a_o.jpg
[/img]

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/9632 ... b25d_o.jpg
[/img]
After 6 months my lights are working great, with no problems and no leaks. :mike

sergmx

They look so good! THanks for all your help so far!

This weekend or sometime next week I will be creating fiberglass eyelids first. Then I think I may have to move the daytime running lights from the top area to somewhere in the middle..gonna cover most of the top of the headlights. Once that's done I'll be ordering the final pieces to my project (projectors, shrouds, light bulbs and some wiring. Did you splice into the daytime running lights to get the LEDS working?

AJVersa

Hey sergmx, thanks for the compliment.
I can't wait to see your modded lights. Go for it! Are you from Canada? U.S. Versas don't have DRLs. That bulb is the marker/parking light on my V. I did a post on turnsignal/DRL mod. You need to hardwire a modified 1157 socket, and run a dual filament bulb.

turn-signal-drl-rewiring-t569554.html#p6429184
My LED DRLs are wired to the ignition relay "run" position. They go on/off with the key.

sergmx

AJVersa wrote:Hey sergmx, thanks for the compliment.
I can't wait to see your modded lights. Go for it! Are you from Canada? U.S. Versas don't have DRLs. That bulb is the marker/parking light on my V. I did a post on turnsignal/DRL mod. You need to hardwire a modified 1157 socket, and run a dual filament bulb.

turn-signal-drl-rewiring-t569554.html#p6429184
My LED DRLs are wired to the ignition relay "run" position. They go on/off with the key.
I'm from USA, Virginia to be exact. I'm super excited about this mod..I've just been having so much going on lately that I barely get free time lately. I really want a 370z looking headlight I think. I'm gonna make some custom eyelids from fiberglass and paint them to match the color of my car (K36 Magnetic Gray). This weeks project is most likely going to be the eyelids since I ahve the material now I just need to finalize my design. Excited!

sergmx

AJVERSA,

I saw your message, and no unfortunately I have not gotten into my retrofit project yet.

I am planning on buying the FXR 3.0 projectors though. I saw the Morimoto mini's ( I believe the ones you purchased) but I want to buy a bigger size projector. I'm ready to buy the rest of the supplies needed for my retrofit, I'm just nervous to take apart a perfectly good headlight. Do you have a picture of where exactly you cut open your lights? I have been looking at the headlights and still do not feel 100% confident in cutting them open yet. All the custom work that will go into mounting the FX-R bi-xenons will also be challenging im sure. Right now I'm in the process of putting in regular HID's until the retrofit is complete.

AJVersa

FX-R first time out. You'er a brave man, good luck. I know our lights have enough room for them. But cutting the reflector bowel takes more courage than I have. When you finish, I'll address you as Dr. Sergmx. Hope you read "JnC's mounting method", on HiD Planet's How-to. As long as everything is lined up correctly before you cement it, you should be ok. Don't rush, thats the most important part.
I too thought long, and hard before cutting my "one and only" set of lights. Look closely at the seam between the lense and the housing. You'll see a channel of sealant under the lense. It goes all the way around. Make your cut just above that channel. If black stuff starts oozing out, you're too low. Cut a little higher up. Be aware plastic will melt more then cut. GO SLOW! I used a 120 grit barrel on my dremel to remove the leftover slag. It comes off easily. You may need to cut the tabs holding the bezel to the lense, it won't be a problem. Look for the one screw.
I used masking tape to hold everything in place while sealing. 100% silicone works great. Let it set overnite, then carefully check your seams.
I really want to see this project finished. Go for it.

Last edited by AJVersa on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JHR16DE

Looks good. Hows the paint holding up? Any issues with moisture?

AJVersa

After numerous car washes, the occasional rain storm, and flooded streets. I am happy to report. My lights preform perfectly, and no problems from moisture.
The paint has held up to summer in Phoenix, 110+ temps.

JHR16DE

How did you seal them?

sergmx

Long time coming, but im FINALLY buying my retrofit kit lol. AJVersa, I am now just doing a simpler retrofit, like yours. I realized the FX-R 3.0 are a much more complex project, and I rather do it well done the first time around. Hopefully I'll find free time to open up my headlights soon!

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”