RB26DETT AWD swap photos and update

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
truckskinjoe
Car: 91 240SX RB26DETT AWD swap

A link to our photo album of the progress on our RB swap. The snow cleared up enough that we had it out and ripped up the parking lot today, Blew the intercooler piping off a few times so back to the garage for a few straps. still a few kinks to work out with the AWD setup but very close.

<table style="width:194px;"><tr><td align="center" style="height:194px;background:url(http://picasaweb.google.comhttp://lh5.g ... ground.gif) no-repeat left"></td></tr><tr><td style="text-align:center;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:11px">240SX project</td></tr></table>

placham
Car: 1992 Geo Prizm (4AFE)---Gone
1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe (RB20DET powered),
1994 Toyota Celica GT (3SGTE swapped), 1995 Nissan 240sx KA24DE,
2011 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V

Great thread. Lost of nice pics you got there.

I'm interested how did you mount the front x-member, did you just measure and drill new holes or whats the deal here?

I see you hammered the floor pan/ trans tunnel to fit the trans. And mounted trans member to side of rails, never seen that done before, is that the only way to mount trans?

GL with your build, looking good.

Oh Traverse City Michigan, been there once to pick up this heavy (truck) load of some kind of jams. This in the middle of nowhere almost. Great to see a nice build from way up north by the lake.

Did you know Traverse City is the nations or worlds largest producer of cherries? Known as the "Cherry Capital of the World", its nice there too by the way.
Modified by placham at 7:51 PM 3/14/2009

AlmightyWez
Car: 76 280Z

Very cool swap

truckskinjoe

well the crossmember/ subframe is a long story, but it works. the trans mount works ok, so far. I will work out a better mount for my next swap.

check out our video, there are others I have posted, but this is fresh today.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7tLycXUfo
Modified by truckskinjoe at 6:21 PM 3/14/2009

placham
Car: 1992 Geo Prizm (4AFE)---Gone
1990 Nissan 240sx Coupe (RB20DET powered),
1994 Toyota Celica GT (3SGTE swapped), 1995 Nissan 240sx KA24DE,
2011 Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V

If you could post an explanation of how you made it work that would be cool, if you dont want to share that's fine too. But nice to see that its done. Seen a AWD in the S14 before, but not S13.

You should post your videos like this copy the link from address bar and paste it

This is one of your videos right, hope you dont mind, but since their on youtube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLvbKPz ... .annelThis one sound nicehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._pageYou get the idea, this is the easiest way to post links.

truckskinjoe

thank you I fixed the link. I would be glad to answer any questions people have about how I put it together.

USMCgetsome
Car: OWN S13.5 RB25DET/2003 G35

is the awd functional? if so then i'm damn impressed.

duece.four.oh.sx
Car: 1965 chevy corvair turbo

holy s*** yo you really got down on this swap, now for celebration for getting it done on a s13

on another note more details on this idea
Modified by duece.four.oh.sx at 10:33 AM 3/15/2009

truckskinjoe

One solution for using the gt32 knuckles and the s13 struts. It needs some refinement to be sure, but it works. The next go around will have these done with a little more attention to detail. They were made a fraction to thin so as you can see the washers to space things out. And there is no way to make any adjustments. But it does drive straight, I have not attempted to get it aligned yet. That will be a test to see if the angles are near correct. And most importantly, this is someone else,s idea. Not mine. I wish it were.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Color me impressed! Your shop looks nice! I can't wait to see it when you get it all finished!

(just learn how to create proper URL's. )

l0nestar

Colour me more impressed looking at your 2.5RS swap.

truckskinjoe

Thanks,the 2.5RS / 2.0 WRX swap is more a work of art. That one took us just a few weeks, but a year later is running better than ever, my son drives it daily. Thanks again,

l0nestar

truckskinjoe wrote:Thanks,the 2.5RS / 2.0 WRX swap is more a work of art. That one took us just a few weeks, but a year later is running better than ever, my son drives it daily. Thanks again,
Ah, so your the "old guy" in the photos then?

truckskinjoe

well better to be the old guy in a young sport than putzing around a garden or bowling, golfing, _________ insert boring past time here.

l0nestar

Just funnin ya man. I'm approaching 30.. I take it is _your_ shop then?

Regardless, good job!

truckskinjoe

oh no insult taken, I am happy to be the old guy. Yes it is my shop. We are in the custom vehicle graphics business. http://www.truckskin.com. We use it to warehouse our frame systems and to install any local jobs. Approaching 30. hehehe you are still wet behind the ears.

rbsileighty
Car: 92 S13 Hatch w/ RB20 & 05 Audi S4 Avant 6MT

You beat me to it! That was the next phase for my car... glad you went the route I was looking at... which is to use the stock S13/14 strut setup. It was an accomplishment but I didn't like FullRace's S14 very much b/c of how they tried to convert and how it ended up...

Have you looked into using an Maxima/Altima/Sentra front Knuckle instead of modifying the Skyline one? This was the route I was looking into... I'd worry about that setup under hard cornering...

Very cool... good work!

truckskinjoe

I would sure take a long look at those knuckles for my next project. thanks

neonbomb

Hey there is an autox on May 16th at MSU. You should go up there, im trying to get a few RB guys from the Rochester area to join. Itd be nice to sit around and BS about our cars.

julio
Car: RB26 AWD converted S14

truckskinjoe: Did you ever figure out your actuator rod problem for the transfercase?

How are you providing hydraulic pressure to the transfercase?

truckskinjoe

Hi, yes I got one from Carlos at jdm of miami, very helpful. I am powering it with the gt32 attessa pump, or at least that is what I am working on right now. I have put it in and plumbed it. now I am just working on how to control the amount of pressure/ % of awd ratio. I sure wish I could come up with that number. No body seems to be able to provide that, it seems like Nissan must have that as a reference somewhere, but I have had no luck finding it. Anyway that is how I am going to do it. I did plate it and insure it yesterday so now that our snow is leaving us can take it out on the road and get some real feedback for driveability.

julio

truckskinjoe wrote:Hi, yes I got one from Carlos at jdm of miami, very helpful. I am powering it with the gt32 attessa pump, or at least that is what I am working on right now. I have put it in and plumbed it. now I am just working on how to control the amount of pressure/ % of awd ratio. I sure wish I could come up with that number. No body seems to be able to provide that, it seems like Nissan must have that as a reference somewhere, but I have had no luck finding it. Anyway that is how I am going to do it. I did plate it and insure it yesterday so now that our snow is leaving us can take it out on the road and get some real feedback for driveability.
Heres a little starter: The GTR FSM claims that full lockup (50f/50r) is 228 psi.

Ok, its gonna be powered by the attesa pump, makes sense. What were you talking about earlier with the actuator rod? I wasn't aware there was any rod to control the transfercase?

Did you source your rear driveshaft flange from Carlos also? I read your post about searching for the front flange for the rear driveshaft.

Also, you didn't have to notch those frame rails at all for the driveshafts huh? I see some spacers inbetween the frame rail and x-member though.

truckskinjoe

thank you for the info, I have found the max pressure yes, but am hoping to figure out the lower rates. either all or nothing but I know there is some ratio.

the rod is inside the transfer case between the hydraulic actuator and the clutch fork, my swap was missing this for some reason. And god it was tough to find. even worse after Carlos sent it to me at fairly great expense, (not his fault) I found the darn thing in one of the boxes of scrap parts I had looked into dozens of times. But since I had no idea what it looked like could not recognize it. NOW i know. hindsight you know.

The crossmember is not pretty, functional only. I hope to refine this whole car over this spring and summer then find a 96 or 97 s14 to swap all the mechanicals into. I like those bodies better and will need another project for next winter anyway.

truckskinjoe

oh yes I forgot the driveshaft , Eric from Eric's Driveshafts made it up for me. A very nice job, it took him some research to figure it out, but it fit perfectly. worth the wait in the end.

julio

truckskinjoe wrote:thank you for the info, I have found the max pressure yes, but am hoping to figure out the lower rates. either all or nothing but I know there is some ratio.
Perhaps its a linear correlation, thats what I would figure. Pressure is linear with the force it produces, but I am unsure of how it interacts with the clutch pack inside the case.
Modified by julio at 5:42 PM 3/17/2009

truckskinjoe

today I was able to finally rig up a test setup and actuate the AWD OMG what an incredible difference. I hope to have a video this weekend. My son is in Fl for spring break so I had no one to take a video of doing the AWD burnout, But yes indeedy it does. I am duly impressed with myself. It is like sitting in a slingshot. Well I was just brimming with excitement at finally getting the awd to work and it actuall does what I hoped for. More to come.

WhatsADSM
Car: 1998 240sx

truckskinjoe wrote:today I was able to finally rig up a test setup and actuate the AWD OMG what an incredible difference. I hope to have a video this weekend. My son is in Fl for spring break so I had no one to take a video of doing the AWD burnout, But yes indeedy it does. I am duly impressed with myself. It is like sitting in a slingshot. Well I was just brimming with excitement at finally getting the awd to work and it actuall does what I hoped for. More to come.
awesome... video, video, video!

GTRs13
Car: 89' S13 Coupe AWD RB20DET

AWD Swap FTW!

Whats up Joe? Its Nick.

Fibre guy
Car: 91' s13 RB25DET, 95' s14 bone stock, 87' Wrangler 4.6L stroker

I'm jealous... We all want to know how it works out so we can sell our rwd rb25's and get some AWD Twin turbo traction!

l0nestar

truckskinjoe wrote:today I was able to finally rig up a test setup and actuate the AWD OMG what an incredible difference. I hope to have a video this weekend. My son is in Fl for spring break so I had no one to take a video of doing the AWD burnout, But yes indeedy it does. I am duly impressed with myself.
Vidz or

Congrats man!

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”