Painted my stock rims

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

I painted my stock wheels because i was bored of them and its almost winter so its time to get them ready to go back on.

what i used

3 cans of Gloss Black 2 cans of Primer 1 can of Clear600grit sandpaper 1 sheet of bristle boardand Tape

Before

I tapped up the silver ring that surrounds the Nissan symbol.I scuffed with 600grit sandpaper and water. I used the cup brush on one but found that if you only use light sandpaper the surface stays smoother and gives a better shine. I then cut a sheet of bristle board in half taped it together and used it to cover my tire used the same template for all my wheels and it worked great.Then I applied Primer

I scuffed bad spots that really stuck out then I applied the Gloss Black coat

Here is the finished product with the tape removed and clear coat applied.

Rims on the truck

Modified by slickroger at 5:57 PM 11/9/2009

naladude911
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

Looks boss. I want to get mine done eventually.

Freaker7113
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

very well done just did mine today have the exact same rims i painted mine in a black metallic hammered paint they look pretty sweet just waint for them to dry then putting them on the truck tomorrow

BING23
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

wow looks dope, how long did it take you to do?

slickroger

Freaker7113 wrote:very well done just did mine today have the exact same rims i painted mine in a black metallic hammered paint they look pretty sweet just waint for them to dry then putting them on the truck tomorrow
You Got pics?
BING23 wrote:wow looks dope, how long did it take you to do?
It took me the whole weekend but I was doing a lot of other things so my drying periods were full nights and i would just pick up where i left off in the morning.

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

nice work, really shiny, i wonder how the first gen qx4 3spoke rims would look painted that or a smoke grey.

Those new winter tires? how much did you pay for them? im on the fence if i should put a new set on my stock wheels

JonathanPrem
Car: 02 Nissan pathfinder 4WD SE

Man slick those are mad sexy. I'm definitely doing that. How much sanding should i do and how many coats of primer , glossy black and clear should i put on it.

slickroger

Qxxx4 wrote:nice work, really shiny, i wonder how the first gen qx4 3spoke rims would look painted that or a smoke grey.

Those new winter tires? how much did you pay for them? im on the fence if i should put a new set on my stock wheels
I bought those tires last year and they ran me about $900 but there amazing in the snow.
JonathanPrem wrote:Man slick those are mad sexy. I'm definitely doing that. How much sanding should i do and how many coats of primer , glossy black and clear should i put on it.
I suggest using between 400 - 600grit sandpaper so you dont really dig or damage the rim with deep grooves and just make sure you sand everything. when painting the plastic covers you can tell where you didnt sand well because the paint wont stick properly.

i used one coat of primer and then re-sanded than painted re-sanded, than painted again and added clear coat.

3 cans of Gloss Black2 cans of Primer1 can of Clear600grit sandpaper1 sheet of bristle boardand Tape

Freaker7113
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

i'll get pics once i put the new rubber on em getting them sometime next week

JonathanPrem

Slick got a quick question. I just sanded my rim with 600Grit sand paper and primed it. Do i spray the glossy black on or do i wet sand it then spray the black.

slickroger

I lightly water sanded with 600grit then sprayed. Than i did the same thing again before i put a second coat of black on. This was really to take out any Imperfections and over spray, I also don't have proper drying facilities so some spots had dust that stuck in the paint so i resprayed and covered it better.

Good luck

Densetsu
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Chinook
Prev: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Chilkoot

Looks sweet. Only two basecoats though? Interested to see if they chip easily, though I guess they're "only" winter rims so it won't be such a big deal.

Now all you have to do is paint those calipers and you'll have an awesome setup.

slickroger

there already yellow.

thats just an old pic

JonathanPrem

Slick have a major problem! I followed everything you said and when it came down to the clear coat. it came out wrong. I bought the exact clear coat you had in your picture but my rims didn't come out glossy black. Its more of a metallic black. What should i do? wet sand then glossy black it and not clear coat or just clean it off then polish it. I'll post some pictures later on.

Btw thanks for all your help.

rlp
Car: 03 QX4

Looks NICE, real nice. I have orig qx4 3 spoke and want some black too, So thanks for the pics and looks like it can be done with excellent results.

slickroger

JonathanPrem wrote:Slick have a major problem! I followed everything you said and when it came down to the clear coat. it came out wrong. I bought the exact clear coat you had in your picture but my rims didn't come out glossy black. Its more of a metallic black. What should i do? wet sand then glossy black it and not clear coat or just clean it off then polish it. I'll post some pictures later on.

Btw thanks for all your help.
Put some pics up Did you use the exact paint I used? I also put a pretty thick coat of gloss I would let it dry and respray where I though I missed. These wheels took me a long time I had let the wheels have a lot of drying time between coats. Where do you live I got lots of free time on my hands now.
rlp wrote:Looks NICE, real nice. I have orig qx4 3 spoke and want some black too, So thanks for the pics and looks like it can be done with excellent results.
Take your time, Prep is key and I think WOT did the three spoke and they look way better black

JonathanPrem

hey slick,

Yea i used the exact sprayed you used. I took at least 15-20 mins sanding my rim with 600 grit And i ran into another problem. Its chipping pretty easy( put the cent cap on and try to take it off with flat head and it chipped a bit off. Here a pic from my iphone.

It not glossy black. its got a hint of grey in it know. Btw I'm near warden and 401 area.

sicwitit
Car: part fabricator

JonathanPrem wrote:hey slick,

Yea i used the exact sprayed you used. I took at least 15-20 mins sanding my rim with 600 grit And i ran into another problem. Its chipping pretty easy( put the cent cap on and try to take it off with flat head and it chipped a bit off. Here a pic from my iphone.

It not glossy black. its got a hint of grey in it know. Btw I'm near warden and 401 area.
How long did you let each coat dry for, and what is the temp your painting in/curing in?

JonathanPrem

i think i let it dry for 15-20 min and i did in my garage since it was colder outside. I would say roughly 15'C.

slickroger

I let the paint coats dry for several hours between coats, the last black coat i left for a day and then applied the clear wheel coating in hourly intervals.

How many cans did you use it just looks like the coats you used might be too thin.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Dude those looks sick! Nice work man they look pro, quality for sure. I thought about having mine powdercoated glossy black and then selling them when the new ones arrive.

Billy

slickroger

Empty V wrote:Dude those looks sick! Nice work man they look pro, quality for sure. I thought about having mine powdercoated glossy black and then selling them when the new ones arrive.

Billy
Sounds like a good plan I haven't driven with them yet, so i'm just hoping they hold up well against chipping I obviously didn't want to test my self because the paint looked so good when i was done. but we shall see soon

W O T
Car: 2001 Infiniti Qx4

Waiting hours between coats is actually to long, 10 minutes is perfect, right after the last coat tacks up, the layers bond together instead of just laying ntop of each other. The thing that will help ya with chipping is waiting a full day before exposing them to abuse and letting them cure in 70-85* temp, paint dont like the cold

My rims havent chipped at all and I beat them daily on rocky roads

JonathanPrem

slickroger wrote:I let the paint coats dry for several hours between coats, the last black coat i left for a day and then applied the clear wheel coating in hourly intervals.

How many cans did you use it just looks like the coats you used might be too thin.
I bought 3 cans of glossy black and i used up 2 full cans and bit of 3 third.

slickroger

I'm not an expert when it comes to painting in fact this is really my first painting project. All I am saying is what I did when I painted my wheels because he asked so don't take my word as professional advice, Its just what I did.

I have left my wheels for a couple weeks in the garage not at the temperature you said for curing but will this be sufficient as i dont really have any where thats really warm to place them?

Just trying to get some chip prevention going on

quagmyer402
Car: 2001 nissan pathfinder LE

i live in fl and right now its at perfect curing temp, but I wasn't going to paint them myself. I have a friend who does excellent body and paint work, he did an amazing paint on on my dads 75 corvette and he said to make it look professional take it to a professional. he said the price ranges 100-200 for all 4, but prices are different in all states. I was going to paint them black and where you taped off around the emblem and kept silver im doing the same but painting the circle white. And he said it could be done in an hour n half, prep to gloss.

GRNMACHINE
Car: 1999.5 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Nice write up slick! I plan on giving this a try soon.

2 questions:

How are they holding up after winter?

What step do I use the bottle of Heineken? :confused:

Anamagous
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

Hey guys,
what about the inside of the rim, I have the 3 spoke infinity rims and i am worried that the inside will show, did you paint yours inside? thanks

PathDetector
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Hoping to put some paint on my wheels soon! Know its an old thread, but thanks for the post. haha
Anamagous wrote:Hey guys,
what about the inside of the rim, I have the 3 spoke infinity rims and i am worried that the inside will show, did you paint yours inside? thanks
I'm planning on painting the whole wheel. I'm no expert but I'd say the stock rim color will show and give a half a**'d appearance. Might as well be thorough with your paint job right? :biggrin:

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”