Okay Do I have this all right?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
r3b

Alright Hi guys! New to the forum here and ive been looking into importing and registering a R32( dont really care whether its an GT-T, the other models or the GT-R) Been researching honestly i dont know how many hours on the subject but I think i have the idea on everything on the legality side, but id like to ask a couple question on something things I havent really found over the internet.

Sorry if this is going to be a block wall of a post but i just want to get everything settled and start planning out on ordering a car hopefully by this summer and having it shipped by january for my birthday.

I remembering emailing Sean awhile ago a couple question but lost the email sadly with some key stuff, ill email him again too ask him about a couple things over at http://importavehicle.com/

Im going to post some question in the the order of getting everything done from buying to getting insurance.

-Okay so one of the things i want to know is, what kind of reputable websites do you guys look for a "good" running r32 doesn't matter the model for me. The ones i know of are
http://www.japan-partner.com/, http://r-international.co.jp/, http://jdm-ottawa.com/, http://nostalgiaimports.com/, and http://jsptrading.com/

How trust worthy and compliant are these places?

-Another question is, how are you able to pay for these cars? Are you guys some what wealthy, and have an extra 15k-20k to spend on a car or do you have to take out a loan? Right now im 17 ahah, and ive seen some cars go low as 3k to as high as 10k.... I also dont have a job. Its a long long long story about not having a greencard/Employment Authorization after living in america for 15 years now ( was born in south africa), hopefully by this summer we hear something on our case since we got the attention of the governor of FL and got response for a inquiry of mine and rest of my families case. Could i take a car loan that would cover the cost of buying and shipping the car? The most i think im comfortabling in taking is 6k-10k which is really nothing....

-If i am lucky enough to some how purchase(FOB price) a car and get in connect with the person selling the car, what documents should they be giving? I read this post 1989-r32-gt-r-october-2014-importation- ... 72096.html and it says i need
- export certificate title
- title translate
- bill of sale
- Bill of Lading B/L
- invoice packing list.

-Once getting these documents what would i need to do on my side? I know you need to fill out DOT HS-7 which is stating the cars the registered year and month date and saying its 25 years old. The other being the EPA Form 3520-1 which basically means, since its 25 years old i dont need to modify the car with emission or other testing to drive it. I know these forms but how would i go about filling these out? Are there anything else i need for when i go to my port to pick up the car? I read that you need a customs broker? What is there job and how much do i have to pay for him/her and the port duties/ tax for the car? Im not expecting the tax to be more than $500. After getting everything approved from the port, how do i get the car out of the port in my house or dmv? Do i just tow it behind another car since its not a titled or registered car yet?

-Since im posting in order on how this should be done, the next thing to do is to register the car right? Im in florida, and couldn't really find anything on going to the dmv and registering my car and getting a title. I read that all you need is proof of that it was imported legally into the US and thats about it and you pay some money for the title. What papers would i need to show them? Is that simply it for getting it registered???

-Okay so after getting the title and registered license under Florida, how do i go about insuring the car? Do i go and talk to the usual car companies or talk to some more specialized or local ones? How much do you pay for your insurance a month? Do you file the car as a regular car or as a classic? And if its a classic wouldn't you need to pay extra fees or services?
So i set up with an insurance company, now if i were to modify the car i would have to go through them before making any changes and purchases? I wanting to keep this car for a very very long time and over the years wish to upgrade stuff here and there and do a lot of the work by myself with my dad since he loves cars and was an old grease monkey when we first moved in America. Would be really cool to do that with him and work on the car on weekends and do a couple shows every now and then.

-Lastly, im thinking in the long run, if i want to drive to another state do i need to do anything? Or is having a florida title just fine? Im not planning on doing a cross country tour to cali ahah. Also are there anything I need to know about the r32's that should break down or something i might have issues with? My dad is pretty knowledgeable about how a lot of cars work and basically rebuilt my uncles engine and fixed our chevy trailblazers with out much a problem or expense.

I thinks that all i have to say! Sorry if this is such a long post but I cant honestly describe the love i have for skylines.... Growing up and seeing it in Fast and Furious and driving and customizing it in a couple Need for speed games, its just would be a dream come true if i could work something out and get this car. I could happily drive this one car the rest of my life and be fine with it.

Thats all and thanks for all of you guys post, helped me clear A LOT of things about before resulting to post here.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard!

I wont go into too much detail, because at 17 with no job, you're really not anywhere near a position to drop $25k+ on a car. Most banks won't finance a car that old, so you're going to need cash.

That's all academic at this point, so let's start with some homework - Here's your assigned reading :) :

so-you-want-to-buy-a-skyline-in-the-us-t159216.html

1989-r32-gt-r-october-2014-importation- ... 72096.html

Those will answer 90% of your questions. :)

Glad to have you here - and best of luck with your citizenship stuff!

tyndago

AZhitman wrote:Welcome aboard!

I wont go into too much detail, because at 17 with no job, you're really not anywhere near a position to drop $25k+ on a car. Most banks won't finance a car that old, so you're going to need cash.

That's all academic at this point, so let's start with some homework -
I will agree. It is a cash business for now. You are talking 25 year old cars that were never imported to the US. I've been working on/importing them for 15 years here into the US. That Fast and Furious movie, well I might have had a hand in actually putting a GT-R or two into them. You can read a little about me, and my company here - ivi-international-vehicle-importers-abo ... 87764.html

How to title and register a car in the USA. http://www.gtrusablog.com/2014/04/how-t ... issan.html

Insurance is something you have to sort, but I imagine that a 17 year old, with a direct import car is something they will eventually not like.

r3b

AZhitman wrote:Welcome aboard!

Glad to have you here - and best of luck with your citizenship stuff!
Thanks! I read a majority of the first thread but not all 35 pages, but ill sit down sometime soon and brush up some stuff. During this summer ill have a small job under the table and use that money for saving up either a new car in the US or an import from Japan, skyline is the best option or the best case scenario here. How much would you be expected to pay for decent jdm car, specifically the r32 or r33? Surely it can't be 25k? I know a lot of the cars are being sold at auctions and you could get them fairly cheap for under 10 grand with a running engine and some minor scratches or marks.
tyndago wrote: Insurance is something you have to sort, but I imagine that a 17 year old, with a direct import car is something they will eventually not like.
You are the go to man here ahah! I feel like insuring the car wont be the biggest problem for me but im more concerned on the paper work side of things.... But first thing first is having the money to spend of this.

I'll be sure to contact you when I think i have a budget worked out and have the actual money in account before talking too other companies or websites that "sell" jdm cars.

Do you think that the prices of the cars would go down a bit after a vast majority of the early r32's are imported through august and through the new year? Or will it be go up in prices since more and more people are making a business out of it? Oh im not sure if this has been brought up but couldn't you also start importing r33's this year also? It would be disregarded from epa standards and its on the import list but would it also need be DOT approved? I have a RI by me in florida which is pretty close, would i have to talk to them about purchasing the vehicle and importing through them and then get it DOT certified through them to become a federally imported and legal car. The body work that would needed to be done would't much of a problem would it? I would think to make the car pass epa testing would cost a lot more than to replace the windows and some body/interior.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”