1989 R32 GT-R October 2014 Importation to the USA

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
lasombra49

Hey guys!

I've been a lurker on these forums for awhile and been researching on the whole process of importing a 25 year old vehicle for quite some time and, seeing there are people here that are really well informed on this matter (AzHitman and tyndago a.k.a. Sean Morris come to mind among others) I wanted to post about what I'm doing to make sure it is being done correctly, so any comments or helpful advice is more than welcomed.

I currently am in the process of buying an October 1989 R32 GT-R eligible for importation on October 2014 (already checked chassis number with Sean's table from the R32 bible and other sources to make sure it is infact an October model, thanks Sean!) with a reputable Japanese trading company and it will be stored in Japan for the mean time. As I understand and have read in the CBP, NHTSA, DOT and EPA websites, the forms needed by CBP for importation into the USA as a 25 year old vehicle are as follows:

- DOT HS-7 (declare 1 on the form)
- EPA Form 3520-1 (declare code "E")

- CBP Form 7501 (Given by the CBP if everything goes ok as a type of receipt or evidence of importation)

Regarding documentation, The company will send me the following documents:

- export certificate title
- title translate
- bill of sale
- Bill of Lading B/L
- invoice packing list

My question is, is there any other documentation that I need besides the list above? I've also contacted the CBP regarding importation and here's the answer they provided:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

You are all set. You are correct that you will need your ownership documentation, DOT HS-7 and EPA form 3520-1. The CBP form 7501 will be filled out at the port of entry when the vehicle is cleared and that will be your official evidence of import to the US. Duty rates for automobiles* (excluding trucks) is 2.5% of the current blue book value.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Another question that I've been having is, does anybody know the book value of an 1989 R32 GT-R? I'm aware that kelly blue book won't have it, and the only book value I've seen comes from an australian site called Redbook: (http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research ... x=6&eapi=2 ) so if anyone knows the black book value of it so that I can have a rough estimate of how much the duty fee will be and would like to post it, please do. I will be concluding the sale tomorrow and would appreciate it very much.

Sorry for the really long post hehe, just wanna make sure everything is just right, and thanks in advance to anyone that can help me. :biggrin: .

P.S. If anyone wants I can post details and photos of the car. It is a completely stock (except hks EVC and turbo timer + aftermarket rims) 46k kilometers, no accident, single owner car :)

P.S.2 I forgot to mention that the car will be going to the Jacksonville, Florida port :facepalm: .
Last edited by lasombra49 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uber240times2
Car: 1989 240sx hatch
2003 350z

I've just got a couple questions, which company are you buying the car through? It's rough being in the U.S and not having any contacts in Japan. Also, the company you're shipping through as well as the storage center?

If you don't want to put the contact info on here, or just simply don't want to share them, that's find and I understand.

It'd be really great if you could though!!

Lnkysean

Post those pictures! And, if you can,the details with the companies you are using, I plan on doing this exact same thing next year. I don't think the car should cost more than a few grand depending on the trim level, I've seen GTS-T's going for under ¥450,000 (about $4,700USD). Depending on the condition and stuff I think shipping/storage will be more than the car itself.
Last edited by Lnkysean on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Figure a good condition R32 GT-R for anywhere between 500,000 to 1,200,000.
If it's a stock, one owner car with that few miles, been well maintained and the paint is white or gunmetal, add another 200,000 or more to the price.

Unmolested one owner cars are quite expensive here and in white is even more so.

Current yen exchange rate is somewhere in the mid to low 90's/dollar or so.

Be aware, though. Storage costs can be expensive and if the cars not de-registered, you'll still need to pay yearly taxes on it.

Lower trim levels like GTS-t and GTS-t Type M's will be anywhere between 60,000 - 500,000 yen.

I would be VERY skeptical of any t or Type M for anything less than 100,000 yen, though. Probably has been rode hard and put away wet.

I see those bad examples all the time here and they change hands pretty regularly and get beat even more.

Lnkysean

I've also seen a good number of Skylines for sale in New Zealand for reasonable prices.. Just found a R34 GTT for $13,500NZD ($11238.75USD).

lasombra49

Hello guys! Sorry for not posting anything at all for the past few days. Was quite busy with a couple of things at work. Regarding the Skyline, the company has just recieved the downpayment today. I'm buying the car through a company called JSP Trading, which specializes on selling classic and exotic vehicles to any part of the world. They've been in the export/import bussiness for quite some time and are based in Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture. They have their own storage and maintenance facilities. The car will be periodically maintained throughout the time it is stored. Here's what they charged me:

1989 GTR '89 Gunmetal Grey - Removed at request of OP(My chassis # is in the 2000's)
Storage and maintenance - Removed at request of OP (80 EUR x month)
Shipping to US - Removed at request of OP

Note: These are internet values using the XE currency exchange rate. If you do a wire transfer, the rates might be much higher based on the bank and you will end up paying hundreds more, unless you actually argue about it, like I did, and even then they won't give you the same rate you see on the internet. I wish there was more transparency regarding exchange rates from banks :tisk: .

Anyways, here's all the info on the car (including video):

http://stock.jsptrading.com/gtr.html

And pictures:

Rest of the pictures (Trust me they're alot!)
http://stock.jsptrading.com/gtr/gtr.html

Let me know what you guys think. From what Jun at JSP told me, it basically belonged to a man that babied it and only used it on weekends. The official inspection also says that it has never been in an accident before. I am planning on doing a breakdown in the future of all the costs involved in the process if this goes well. Thank you for reading.

P.S. I'll probably be selling those ENKEI DM5-esque wheels and get stock ones. Anyone willing to sell me a set of R32 GT-R ones at a reasonable price?

tyndago

There is no "book" value of your vehicle, so they will use the invoice value of the car. Make sure you have documentation to back it up. In my personal case with my Show or Display cars, one officer told me he didn't believe what I paid for the cars. One was in nice shape, the other a bit rough. In the grand scheme of things, its 2.5% tariff +0.3464% processing fee. 2.85% of the value, so even if the price goes up $10k its only $285. Don't play with the numbers, its not worth the hassle.

This are some additional costs you might expect prior to getting the car off the port.

THD Fee
Express Mail and Money order THD
ISF Filing
Bond and Surety Fee
2.5 % Tarriff
0.3464 Processing Fee
Customs Entry Fee
US Transport

I suggest a customs broker familiar with vehicles to clear the cars for you. It will save you some time and aggravation. Anything coming by sea into the US now, needs an ISF filing. The ISF info needs to be submitted 24 hours prior to the vessel leaving the foreign port. This was a new one for me. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/cargo_ ... ty_filing/ Customs wanted a bond for 3x the value of the cars from me, but it depends on the agent, and value of the vehicle, and if its personal or business import.

lasombra49

tyndago wrote:There is no "book" value of your vehicle, so they will use the invoice value of the car. Make sure you have documentation to back it up. In my personal case with my Show or Display cars, one officer told me he didn't believe what I paid for the cars. One was in nice shape, the other a bit rough. In the grand scheme of things, its 2.5% tariff +0.3464% processing fee. 2.85% of the value, so even if the price goes up $10k its only $285. Don't play with the numbers, its not worth the hassle.

This are some additional costs you might expect prior to getting the car off the port.

THD Fee
Express Mail and Money order THD
ISF Filing
Bond and Surety Fee
2.5 % Tarriff
0.3464 Processing Fee
Customs Entry Fee
US Transport

I suggest a customs broker familiar with vehicles to clear the cars for you. It will save you some time and aggravation. Anything coming by sea into the US now, needs an ISF filing. The ISF info needs to be submitted 24 hours prior to the vessel leaving the foreign port. This was a new one for me. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/cargo_ ... ty_filing/ Customs wanted a bond for 3x the value of the cars from me, but it depends on the agent, and value of the vehicle, and if its personal or business import.
Hello Sean, thank you so much for replying. I've read up on the ISF filling. Seems like an excuse to get more money out of people but, oh well. :rolleyes:. For reference, Here's what my shipping fees include:

1) Japanese domestic transportation fee
2) DMV export certificate and other documentation fee
3) Export brokers custom fee
4) Title translation fee
5) Ocean freight to Any available port by RoRo line
6) International Expressed mailing fee

And here are the documents they'll mail me by EMS:

- export certificate title
- title translate
- bill of sale
- B/L
- invoice packing list

I have a couple of questions to ask if you don't mind. Does the ISF need to be filed by me/hired customs broker or the company (JSP trading)? Since it needs to be filed 24 hours prior to cargo boarding I'm kinda confused as to who is responsible for this. Also, given your case of the cars being imported with the show and display exemption, do you know if cars 25 years and older would also need a bond? Would you give a rough estimate as to how much the bond with bond and surety fees were? My guess is around $100-$200 for each car if what I read is right. I've read somewhere that the customs entry fee is in the $500 range, is this correct? and my last question is: Pardon my ignorance but, what does THD stand for?

Sorry for asking so many questions. As I said before, just want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible hehe. Again thank you so much.

tyndago

lasombra49 wrote: Hello Sean, thank you so much for replying. I've read up on the ISF filling. Seems like an excuse to get more money out of people but, oh well. :rolleyes:. For reference, Here's what my shipping fees include:
I have a couple of questions to ask if you don't mind. Does the ISF need to be filed by me/hired customs broker or the company (JSP trading)? Since it needs to be filed 24 hours prior to cargo boarding I'm kinda confused as to who is responsible for this. Also, given your case of the cars being imported with the show and display exemption, do you know if cars 25 years and older would also need a bond? Would you give a rough estimate as to how much the bond with bond and surety fees were? My guess is around $100-$200 for each car if what I read is right. I've read somewhere that the customs entry fee is in the $500 range, is this correct? and my last question is: Pardon my ignorance but, what does THD stand for?

Sorry for asking so many questions. As I said before, just want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible hehe. Again thank you so much.
First off, as I said before, its YOUR problem if something isn't done correctly. Doesn't matter who makes a mistake, you are the one that pays. Someone forgets to get you an OBL, gets lost, not filed correctly, you are the one that gets stuck with the demurage charge. Its good you are getting all your info together now. Will make sure the least amount of issues later.

The ISF needs to be filed in the US, which is why you also need a customs broker on this end. The shipper needs to get you the information to file the ISF. You should not need to bond the car, but they still might make you. Its one of those things you really just can't argue. Well you can argue it, but it won't get you far. At some point you bite your tongue, and give them(US Customs) what they want.

Bond is based on the value of the vehicle. Customs entry fees depends on the broker, but $500 is on the high end.

I don't even know what THD means, but its local port charges. It was $155 per car, and like all things in the shipping business that don't make a lot of sense, had to be paid 48 hours before the cargo arriving, in Pittsburgh(for Wallenius Wilhemsen coming into Long Beach). There can also be other charges. We used to always get hit with BAF. Bunker Adjusted Fee(fuel surcharge). . That number could be nutty - 30% or more of the cost of shipping. Another charge you can not dispute if you want your cargo. If you have a problem, pay it, then try and fight it later(you will lose either way).

"8.2 Local charges
The load and discharge ports normally charge for their services in local currency directly to the shipper or through the carrier depending on port practice. These charges depend on port tariff and vary between ports. Payment term is “cash on delivery” and local charges through carrier will appear on our documents.
Check with destination agent before going to the port for fees, acceptable forms of payment, and required documentation.

8.3 ‘Additional’ charges
Some additional charges do apply and the booking office will inform which charges apply and how much they amount to. The most common charges are Bunker Adjustment Factor and Currency Adjustment Factor. Additional charges also apply to issuing Bills of Lading; pre-declaration to US Customs (where applicable) and for corrections after the Seaway bill has been issued."

So it is possible to have the cargo arrive, and have a bill you aren't expecting. Happens to people all the time.

lasombra49

Great info and advice Sean. Thanks for taking the time to write it all. As you said, I'm completely responsible for what happens with my shipment, and that's why I wanted to ask someone that actually went through the experience of getting these cars over here instead of relying on every little thing I see on the internet. Thing is, once the car reaches the US, it's final destination will be Puerto Rico (I can't ship the car directly, so it needs to go through a US port first). Being that Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, the same laws apply regarding 25 year rule and the like. And I completely agree, most of the shipping charges don't make much sense when you think about it, but in the end, you really can't argue, cause otherwise you ain't getting s#$% :P

Lnkysean

Wow, nice car! I hope it works out well for you.

lasombra49

Lnkysean wrote:Wow, nice car! I hope it works out well for you.
Thanks Lnkysean. Hope it works out for you also. Research, determination and patience are key points when doing something like this. So I'd say when looking into getting one of these amazing cars over here, don't ever assume anything. Look for facts, even if you don't understand 'em at first. Most of the time they'll make sense in the long run :).

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Nice looking R.

If I can get you a set of R32 GT-R wheels, how much would you let those wheels on it now go for?

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Also, I had that exact same boost controller on my Laurel.

It's got three different settings. You have manual, which is the big knob on the far right, then low boost and high boost. The buttons to select them are on the front, but the adjustment dials to increase or decrease those settings are on the back side and kind of a pain in the a** to get to.

Hopefully, the previous owner didn't go to crazy on the high boost setting or manual.

lasombra49

Gold Digger wrote:Nice looking R.

If I can get you a set of R32 GT-R wheels, how much would you let those wheels on it now go for?

Also, I had that exact same boost controller on my Laurel.

It's got three different settings. You have manual, which is the big knob on the far right, then low boost and high boost. The buttons to select them are on the front, but the adjustment dials to increase or decrease those settings are on the back side and kind of a pain in the a** to get to.

Hopefully, the previous owner didn't go to crazy on the high boost setting or manual.
Thanks Gold Digger!. Since I can't PM you atm about the wheels can we do it by email? Mine's [email protected] . Also, thanks for the heads up on the hks boost controller, haven't gotten around to finding the manual for it yet.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

I just took another look at that picture of the boost controller and the manual knob is turned all the way to MAX. Let's hope that the shop in possession of the car didn't screw around with the boost settings trying to figure out how to set the low/high/manual settings.

On another note...found these for ya.
List of instruction manuals for HKS electronics
Instructions to HKS EVC 1 Boost controller

GTRPower

FYI, there is no pic of the entire dashboard. They tend to delaminate at the ridge and bubble up, usually above the glovebox towards the center console area. Get a pic of that too to confirm the dash is in good shape. Otherwise, nice car!

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Also...looking locally for a set of R32 wheels.

lasombra49

Gold Digger wrote:I just took another look at that picture of the boost controller and the manual knob is turned all the way to MAX. Let's hope that the shop in possession of the car didn't screw around with the boost settings trying to figure out how to set the low/high/manual settings.

On another note...found these for ya.
List of instruction manuals for HKS electronics
Instructions to HKS EVC 1 Boost controller

Also...looking locally for a set of R32 wheels.
GTRPower wrote:FYI, there is no pic of the entire dashboard. They tend to delaminate at the ridge and bubble up, usually above the glovebox towards the center console area. Get a pic of that too to confirm the dash is in good shape. Otherwise, nice car!
Wow! you guys really do like to help people huh? :P. Gold Digger thank you so much for the manual and instruction sets for the retro boost controller, I'll definitely need 'em. To be honest I got a little scared because I hadn't noticed the manual knob position. They could've been trying different boost levels like you said for when they did the test drive video maybe? (http://stock.jsptrading.com/gtr.html). About the wheels, if you want we can do a clean trade. You've been helping me out, so the way I see it it's the least I can do lol. Only thing is we'd have to wait for the car to arrive next year. If you're good with that, then yeah I'll definitely do it.

GTRPower thanks for pointing that out. I've seen so many R32s with the infamous dashboard bubble problem (like this one):

Here's a pic that shows a bit of the left hand side of the dashboard :

I'd want to be optimistic and say it's alright but yes, I'll definitely ask for a picture of the full dashboard to make sure. Funny thing is I've been actively checking for that ever since I made the decision of buying an R32 GT-R. Guess I got carried away with this one and thought that with how well maintained this one supposedly is, this wouldn't be an issue. As always thanks for the help and... really nice R33 GT-R V-Spec and '94 R32 GT-R guys :).

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

OP. Check your email. I sent you one last night.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

Just found a full set of stockers with tires.

¥25,000.

Lemme know what you want to do. I can have themat the end of the month.

lasombra49

Gold Digger wrote:OP. Check your email. I sent you one last night.
Whoops just saw that hehe. Went into junk mail for some reason. Will reply as soon as possible.

lasombra49

Gold Digger wrote:Just found a full set of stockers with tires.

¥25,000.

Lemme know what you want to do. I can have themat the end of the month.

Email sent.

nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

I'm hopfully going to be doing the same thing as you so I have been looking into this as well. I was wondering how you heard of JSP trading? Had you talked with other people that had dealt with them successfully before? Did they look for a GTR to fit your needs or did they have one available?

Car looks great, I'm sure the waiting game is even harder once you know you have one already just sitting and waiting.

lasombra49

nismo1118 wrote:I'm hopfully going to be doing the same thing as you so I have been looking into this as well. I was wondering how you heard of JSP trading? Had you talked with other people that had dealt with them successfully before? Did they look for a GTR to fit your needs or did they have one available?

Car looks great, I'm sure the waiting game is even harder once you know you have one already just sitting and waiting.
Thanks. To be honest I found JSP Trading (and the car) out of pure luck. I was searching through various UK classifieds one day and stumbled upon an ad for this particular car. As soon as I saw it I started looking for as much info as I could regarding the company and If they were reliable or not. After much searching I found out that they've been on this business for quite some time and they specialize on selling classic and exotic cars to all over the world, but their main bussiness was USA. They also had an ebay account that I checked to verify what feedback they had, which turned out to be quite good. I made an enquiry about it hoping that it would be a reasonable price, and it was. I also like the way they do business, which is honestly what made me buy it. On another note, they've been featured in Car and Driver Japan and Oldtimer magazine (German car magazine):

http://jsptrading.com/en/otm.html

http://jsptrading.com/en/cad.html

http://jsptrading.com/en/cad2.html

I honestly don't know if they usually have R32s in stock. On their website they state they deal with the following Japanese cars "GT-R,NSX,Lancer Lancer Evolution,Impreza,etc Sport type,Historic car." so they must get them from time to time, but they mostly carry european sports car. Also, from what I've read and seen, they seem to only list cars for sale that have been exceptionally maintained and well taken care of. All in all, I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well, so I'm trying to take every precaution I can regarding the whole process to make sure everything goes out as smoothly as possible.

If you're interested, I know of two other '89 R32 GT-Rs for sale in the UK. They're from a friend of mine that has been working on GT-Rs since 1992 and is the owner of one of the best shops for Skylines in the UK, so he knows a thing or two about them ;). He can also store the car for you and ship it when it becomes legal to import plus he will also be opening a shop in Florida next year.

You can also talk to tyndago, he can definitely help you alot more than I can, since he's been involved with skylines (recently imported two 90' R32 GT-R nismos with the show and display exemption) and the Skyline scene since...well since forever :yesnod .

nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

Thanks for the info, I'm still not sure if I'm going to try and do a lot of the leg work myself or go with a reputable company. I was really just kind of surprised at the price. For the miles and stock condition it seems really good and that's what I'm looking for as well.

Yeah I think I have emailed Sean several times over the past few years and he has always been helpful.

Gold Digger
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:

One other thing I just noticed.

There is no aftermarket boost gauge in the cockpit. That's a concern, especially if the shop had dealer had been playing with the boost controller.

I'll see if I can source one over here for not too much money and get a mount for it and possibly get it installed, too.

Lnkysean

nismo1118 wrote:Yeah I think I have emailed Sean several times over the past few years and he has always been helpful.
I've been emailing Sean the last week or so and you sure are right, he gets back to me very quickly and is very friendly and knowledgeable.

porscheracing

How has the process worked out for you with JSP. I am close to importing a vehicle form them and would like to understand the process. Thx

lasombra49

porscheracing wrote:How has the process worked out for you with JSP. I am close to importing a vehicle form them and would like to understand the process. Thx
Hello. The process has been really straight forward and very smooth up until now. This is taken straight from the JSP Trading website:

>>Shipping Fee.

**each car we charge as follows,

Japan >>> Euro EUR 1,650-
Japan >>> USA,Canada USD 2,100-

Shipping Fee included

1)Japanese domestic transportation fee to Yokohama port
2)DMV export certificate documentation fee
3)Export custom brokers fee
4)Title translation fee
5)Ocean freight to available Euro ports by RoRo line
6)International express mailling fee

>> Order & Payment

1) Confirm the purchase and we will send you the sales contract by fax or E-mail.
20% downpayment=>We sign sales contract each. Please sign then Please e-mail or fax 0081-45-572-8455

*Only TT is accepted. Please send us .T.T copy by fax or E-mail.

2) 50% of the balance=>After we transfer the car to Yokohama Port and send you receipt from custom broker and pictures for the car at the port by e-mail

3) Final balance should be paid at least before 4-5 business days before cut off date (3-4days before ETD-depurture date) AFTER we inform you shipping schedule Name and shipping company contact number

>> Shipping

1, Booking is made. We'll send scaned bonded area stamp and car pictures at bonded area after carried in.
2, After ship left.We'll send you documents by EMS.
Documents
1) Export Certificate Title
2) Translated Export Certificate Title (English)
3) Bill of Landing (B/L)
4) Invoice
5) Sales Contract

If you agree to buy, both you and JSP will sign a contract stating the terms of the sale. One of the most important things that needs to be stated in the contract is the VIN (In this case chassis number). After both parties agree and sign You'll have to do a non-refundable deposit for 20% of the total price of the car (including shipping) (In my particular case it was close to 40% cause it included storage fees) for them to hold the car for you. They charged me 80 EUR a month for storage (which totals 1600EUR). Shipping is usually 1850EUR. They will usually give you a cut off date for final payment and then give you the shipping company's info and send you all documents once the ship has left to it's destination. Jun @ JSP (The guy I've been dealing with) would be the guy to talk to for enquiries. Remember they will charge you only for everything on THEIR side, so you'd have to do all the necessary arrangements on your side (like hiring a broker, transportation, import fees etc.). Hope this helps.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”