Knock Sensors. The what, where, why & hows...

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Stotz8989
Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra

My daughter's Xterra's engine light came on and off. The dealer said that the knock sensor is going bad. They want $192 for the part and $825 to install it. Is there another alternative? How can we find a good Atlanta mechanic who is not with the dealer? Their flat rate is $85 per hour. I find it hard to believe it takes 10 hours to replace this sensor.

tiger-SE-R
Car: 2006 Altima SE-R / 2002 Xterra / 1974 Datsun 610/ Suzuki GSX650F - "Put a Tiger in Your Tank"

Take the X to an Autozone, they can scan the codes in the computer to confirm what the dealer is telling you. Autozone won't charge you for this. My check engine light was on within the past 6 months due to a sensor in the fuel sending unit. (the one that was recalled a few years ago) When I ran the codes for my 2002 Xterra, a knock sensor code did come up but that wasnt what triggered the check engine light, the dealership could not find any problems even though the knock sensor code showed up. Can she tell if there is something wrong with the engine? Replacing the knock sensor can be costly from what I understand due to its location. Also you could try another dealer. Good luck

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Welcome to our little trucks corner!First I though you might want to know why the install cost on the knock sensor is so expensive. It's located between the heads directly beneath the intake plennum. ( That would be the large top portion of the intake manifold). The plennum must be removed in order to access the knock sensor and replace it. The reason it is placed there is so the sensor can detect pre-ignition issues from any of the cylinders.)

We also had this discussion recently and you might want to read our Knock Sensor Thoughts/Opinions/Facts

And then there's this item for reference purposes. PS: I also have the complete 1999-2004 XE model Xterra/Frontier manual in PDF. I can send you more detail via email if you wish. But this image will help you check a few simple things that could be at fault.

Linee
Car: Nissan Xterra 2002 & Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 1998

After check Engine Light came on, these codes came in, PO455, P1328, PO328 and all these codes again with pending next to, 4 months ago I had the Vent Control Valve and Canister repaired, could this be related to the same problem? or could a vibration caused by a missing clamp on the exhaust system be sending false signals? I had nothing but problems since I bought this used Xterra. I owned a Pathfinder before and never had any major issues and this is why I purchased a Nissan again! Not too sure about the next one!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Welcome to NICO.

I moved this to the Trucks forum.

Big-Bird

I looked at my decoder list and I can't find P0328. The only code even close to that is P0325 which is the knock sensor code. The knock sensor detects pre-ignition or pinging and retards the timing via electronic signal to your computer. The ugly part about the knock sensor is where it is located. The whole intake system must be removed in order to replace it. Poor fuel economy and power loss are sometimes associated with this condition.

P01328 is also not on my list but P0132 is. This is the right side exhaust manifold O2 sensor. Component Description - From the manual - The front heated oxygen sensor is placed into the exhaust manifold.It detects the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas comparedto the outside air. The front heated oxygen sensor has a closedendtube made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltagefrom approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions.The front heated oxygen sensor signal is sent to the ECM.The ECM adjusts the injection pulse duration to achieve the idealair-fuel ratio. The ideal air-fuel ratio occurs near the radical changefrom 1V to 0V.

The Code P0455 does come up with this information:

On Board Diagnosis LogicIf DTC P0455 is displayed with P1448, perform trouble diagnosisfor DTC P1448 first. (See Test #EC-1102.) This diagnosis detects a very large leak (fuel filler cap fell off etc.) in the EVAP system between the fuel tank and the EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.

Malfunction is detected when EVAP control system has a very largeleak, such as fuel filler cap fell off, EVAP control system does notoperate properly.CAUTION:>Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close.>Use only a genuine NISSAN fuel filler cap as a replacement.>If an incorrect fuel filler cap is used, the MIL may come on.>Use only a genuine NISSAN rubber tube as a replacement.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

>Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close.>Incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve.>Incorrect fuel filler cap used.>Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap.>Leak is in line between intake manifold and EVAP canisterpurge volume control solenoid valve.>Foreign matter caught in EVAP canister vent control valve.>EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks.>EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube) leaks.>EVAP purge line rubber tube bent.>Blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor.>Loose or disconnected rubber tube.>EVAP canister vent control valve and the circuit.>EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve and the circuit.>Absolute pressure sensor.>Fuel tank temperature sensor.>O-ring of EVAP canister vent control valve is missing or damaged.>EVAP control system pressure sensor.

I would investigate the P0455 Code first and go from there. Hope this helps

kcorry
Car: 2003 Xterra 3.3L V6 4x4

Greetings,New to the forum. I am the proud new owner of a 2003 Xterra 3.3L 4x4 V6 (58K). I purchased my X this past Saturday. After doing some cleaning, I hooked up my OBDII scanner and found PO328 Knock Sensor problems (1 of 2) but no CEL/MIL flashed. I am taking it back to the dealer to repair since I just bought it and is under warranty. What are the normal causes of the knock sensor failing? and What is the normal procedure for repairing this piece? Can it be replaced by a novice DIYer?Thanks,KC

Big-Bird

If you are comfortable tearing down the top end of an engine then go for it!

Most dealers charge about a grand (including parts) to do the job so that tells you right off that it's about a 6-7 hour job to do it.

Determining if the sensor is bad is not a simple thin because of the type of circuit it is. It's a peizo-electric sensor, kinda like the little chime in most digital watches. The sensor can develop plastic rot and the body of the little monster (Not much bigger than 4 sugar cubes) will crack causing the it to fail. If it was me I would take it somewhere and let them fight with it. I can do it...I have the tools and know the 3.3 motor quite well. But I would rather pay someone to do kind of pain in the arse work.

kcorry
Car: 2003 Xterra 3.3L V6 4x4

Thanks Big Bird. After reading the forum, I understand that this is not a DIYer job. Carmax is repairing the KS along with the IMG's (and all the belts since they were squeaking at startup). They stated it would take 5-6 hours, so hopefull I will have the X back on Friday.Thanks,KC

NM50
Car: 94 D21,98 03 hummer H2,66 311 CA18ET ROADSTER,94GEO METRO pimp mobile

FOOLS.THE DEALER TECHS ARE FOOLS.THE TIMING BELT IS SLAPPING AND KICKING THE KS CODES.A PERFECTLY GOOD JOB GONE TO POT DUE TO LACK OF INVESTIGATION. REPLACE THE BELT WITH A FACTORY PART.#13028-7B025. I HAVE BEAT MY HAED AGAINST THE WALL WITH THOSE CODES.P0325/328 AND P1 CODES ARE MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC.THE 455 LARGE LEAK IS 99% GAS CAP.

jdmfreak

Yea I just recently helped a friend do a knock sensor job and we tested it before it was replaced. That job is a real PITA and can be time consuming, but its WAY better than taking it to a dealer. when he first took it to get it scanned it came up with a KS and O2S code. The O2S was fine, so we just replaced the KS. Check engine light was gone. Then a lil while later it came back on. now with a series of codes ranging from vacuum leaks(checked all the lines so we doubt that), O2 sensor again, MAF, Fuel pressure, etc. So now I gotta sit down and really think it out this time. B/C if I gotta get in that engine bay again I want it to be just ONCE more lol. Although Im sure I wont have to remove the plenum again.

PS: hmmm...I'll do maybe a write up next time if I end up removing the intake plenum again. Time to bust out the camera!

NM50
Car: 94 D21,98 03 hummer H2,66 311 CA18ET ROADSTER,94GEO METRO pimp mobile

I just had a thought today about this thread.Is this X supercharged?

rdye56
Car: 2002 XTerra SE 3.3

Could you plesse send me a copy of your "I also have the complete 1999-2004 XE model Xterra/Frontier manual in PDF."

I just bought a 2002 XTerra SE 3.3 and it has the knock sensor issue. I am trying to see if I can resolve it myself. I have read the related posts.

Thanks, Rod

Big-Bird

The Xterra's PDF complete engine file is quite large. Even zipped it's almost 11MB! If you really want it you confirm your email can handle the file and I would be happy to send it. There are some smaller support files that are under 1MB so as long as the big one goes through you should have no issue.

But if you do indeed have a knock sensor issue you probably already know it's not a small job, although its not terribly complicated. the entire intake system must be removed along with the fuel injection rails. Thankfully the timing chain and heads don't need to be removed so it's not quite a full blown tear down.

rdye56
Car: 2002 XTerra SE 3.3

You are right, that is too big for my email. At least I can find it on Ebay for a reasonable price.

bjase
Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra

Hey I saw that you have the complete PDF for the xterra would it be possible for you to email it to me [email protected] if so thanks it would be a great help. I just had my check engine light come on so now I have to look everything over. Thanks Big-Bird

kresnanto
Car: 2002 Nissan Xterra V6 3.3

Hi Big-Bird.I'd love to get copy of the diagram too.I have Xterra 2002 v6 3.3 that start getting check engine light and when i scan it i got 2 message saying VAC sensor and Knock sensor faulty.It happened just after i wash the engine and spray it with water (not sure if this thing related or not).I appreciate any advice !!!!

bonaldi

[email protected]

smarti620
Car: 2003 Nissan Xterra 3.3L v6 4wd

Hey Big Bird....You seem to have some extensive knowledge about knock sensors. My 03 xterra is kicking out several codes and the knock sensor is one of them. What can cause the knock sensor code to trip? If I have to I will replace the d**n thing. I have the haynes manual here but am wondering what would cause the knock sensor code, o2 sensor code, evap emissions gross leak, and closed loop control or fuel air meter to come up? Is there anything in common with all of this that I can start with that may stop the knock sensor from throwing a code? Thanks for the help.

Big-Bird

Please don't ask me to send the CD manual. It's over 700MB and it takes too long to break it up into bits so email can handle it. I don't mind sending specific sections but right now my copy won't read anymore so I can't even get it open until I get it replaced.

pdmott
Car: 2004frontier

could you e-mail me the section covering the idle speed system ( 2004 frontier 3.3 v6 ) i would appreciate it greatly . thanks for your time - phillip mott - [email protected]

Big-Bird

I'd love to...but my CD won't read anymore.

ianh
Car: 2018 midnight edition Pathfinder SL
2003 Pathfinder
1997 200SX SE-R

try Phatg20.net for FSM's

usamps

i replaced my knock sensor this weekend. it was a all day job. you have to remove the plennum and the intake. it took me about 10 hours, i have never did anythign like it. if you do it yourself make plenty of time. do not rush if you miss making a connection on the back side of the intake . you will have to remove it and do it right . it is not that difficult its just very tedious to do. you will need a 6 mm hex socket, intake/plennum gasket set, might want to flush the antifreezeand change oil, you will need high temp gasket maker, front water housing gasket, wire ties to hold back lines that are in the way of removing intake and such. it is worth doin it yourself. the niisan dealership wanted 562 and pep boys wanted 407..plus parts.

sclittle

I have had some knock sensor problems as well. My check engine came on one morning and then started flashing. The car was running terrible and felt like the engine was skipping. Took it to Auto Zone and got the knock sensor code. After about a week, the light went off and the car ran fine. About another week later, the car started running bad again and the light was flashing. A coworker of mine said that I may have carbon buildup on the sensor that was making it go off. I started using premium gas and it hasn't come on since and is running much better. My car enthusiast co-worker also told me to try to flush the engine with Seafoam. Anyone tried this?

margarete
Car: 2000 Xterra

We successfully did it today~! Photos too. We went through the front of the engine and reached through. No removing all the gaskets etc.

XterraXtreme

Hi! I am hoping you can share how you went through the front of the engine? I would like to see photos too if possible? My 02 Knock Sensor is giving me fits! Thanks!!

rlsaws
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE

I have a problem with detonation in my 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, I ran across this post and figured it was similar to the problem I am having. Can you send me the PDF file for the engine? I think I will try to change the knock sensor myself

Thanks

Joey1234

margarete- that is a neat trick considering that the knock sensor in buried.The upper intake manifold needs to come off, the fuel rails, and then the lower intake manifold. Not to mention the countless number of eletrical connectors and hoses (which a few had to be cut off and replaced). Would like to see the pictures... I just spent a day day replacing this sensor on a 2000 xterra. (granted i'm a novice)

jenzart2002
Car: 1995 240 sx

I had a knock sensor problem with my 240 and it cost around 800 to fix at my local mechanic...But i would not let this scare you from getting another Nissan...That 240 is still running with 230k miles...

safety george
Car: 2002 nissan frontier, 2007 nissan pathfinder

can you send me the 2002 nissan frontier pdf file,i need to change the knock sensor, but i am not able to locate it yet.thanks,jorge [email protected]

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”