Need registered importer to bring in my skyline

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
syc
Car: 1989 Skyline GT-R

i'm in the military and own a skyline. the military will transport my car for me to the states from japan, but from what they're telling me i guess they are not a vehicle processing center so they will need to ship it to a registered importer then the ri will clear it for entry to the united states.

anyone have recommendations on RI's? i need to do this fairly soon.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard, and thanks for your service!

See second post in this thread: is-this-legal-still-hunting-for-a-r32-t ... 89009.html

syc

hi, thanks for the welcome.. i was a member several years back but when i tried logging in, it said i don't exist.. lol..

i emailed sean morris over a week ago, but never got a reply back, so i'm looking other Registered Importers that I could contact..

tyndago

Sorry, must have missed your email.

What year is your car?

You really don't want to go the RI route. By the time you are done with NHTSA, and EPA you are probably triple the cost of the car.

STeeL25T

GT-R Garage recently posted this on Facebook, they might can help you:
Note to US Military Members Stationed in Japan

You may be rated for vehicle shipping back to CONUS through TMO. If this is the case we can assist you with de-registering your qualifying 25 year old vehicle. This will allow TMO to ship it back for you at no charge. We have done this for US service members in the past. For more information email us at [email protected].

tyndago

Sure. I am a veteran. Did 6 in the Navy. Have already helped some service members bring in cars. PCS they will move at no cost. Some people already have a car in storage, or too many cars, so they have to find other routes. All depends.

However you don't need an RI for a car over 25 years old. RI's are for cars less than 25 years old. In this case, if it is less than 25 and the member wants to import it, I say it is a waste of time and money.

I remember a conversation with someone recently, and they were talking RI, but honestly I don't remember though where it came.

syc

Its a 89.. Its going to be sent out mid july and they said it takes about 90 a 100 days for transit.. The manufacture month is october

tyndago

syc wrote:Its a 89.. Its going to be sent out mid july and they said it takes about 90 a 100 days for transit.. The manufacture month is october
If it went into Long Beach, its about 20-30 days depending on the ship and schedule. Container is only about 18-20 days.

Demurage is expensive, so you want to double check those dates.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”