Is this legal? still hunting for a R32 to purchase

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
loopyR31
Car: 1988 R31

I don't claim to be an expert so I wanted to get some feedback before I get too far down the rabbit hole and try to purchase this car. It's a 1989 R32 GTS-t that was just imported by Japanese Classics LLC in Virginia. Price is a little on the steep side but the car looks really nice. My question though is how legal is the car because they are advertising that it has a RB25 swap. From my experience with my R31 I was left with the impression that I couldn't have a different motor or swap in the car otherwise it wouldn't be eligible for the EPA exempt box on form 3520-1. Is this not the case? Can I get a car that has a swapped motor?

I really like this car but the last thing I want to do is buy a R32 that someone brought in wrong and then have someone take it from me later because the importer didn't understand the laws.

Here is a link to the car, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 080&type=1

tyndago

Vehicles over 21 years old, in original configuration are EPA exempt for import. We get this question a lot these days, people asking for clarification. Here is some additional information pulled out of the 3520-1 or EPA form required for importation.

So like the guy that had a Nissan Skyline, with a Toyota 2JZ engine swap, that is not a legal import under Code E on the 3520-1. That vehicle would need to be certified under the mod and test program(Code C) with an Independent Commercial Importer (ICI). If you knowingly import that car, then you are subject to fines and seizure. See below for the relevant parts.

Any person who improperly imports a motor vehicle or engine may be fined up to $32,500 per vehicle or engine, and may be subject to forfeiture of the entire importation bond, and US Customs Service may seize the engine or vehicle.

By signing the document, the importer declares that all information provided is correct, and you authorize the EPA officers to conduct inspections or testing as required by the Clean Air Act.

If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation. The age of the vehicle is determined by subtracting the calendar year of manufacture from the calendar year of importation. If the calendar year of manufacture is unavailable, the importer may substitute the model year or year of first registration. For instance, to qualify in 2001, the vehicle must have been manufactured in 1980 or earlier. The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines.

No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. The importer must also prove to Customs, as required, that the vehicle or engine was manufactured prior to EPA regulation. Documents such as a title, or letter from the original manufacturer may be used for this purpose.The importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 and declare code "E" on that form.

http://www.importavehicle.info/2014/04/ ... 520-1.html

loopyR31
Car: 1988 R31

Thanks, so I'm guessing that is a "not legal" response lol. It seems like there is more of these motor swap cars popping up now. I've been watching this group called GTR-Garage and they just advertised a RB25 swapped R32 GTS-t for import.

https://www.facebook.com/GTRGarageJapan ... 8392206380

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”