Need help with installing the spoiler

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I would love to add the rear spoiler to my Rogue but don't want to pay the high dealer price. Would someone please post the step by step instal with pix. Is it easy to do and the best place to buy the spoiler. ThanksRandy

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

Several places now carry it for a variety of prices...both Nissan sites andaftermarket sites, both look the same in the pictures. I bought mine froman official Nissan site, Bankston Nissan, for $225. You can get it alot cheaper now from other places. Just do a little searching...

I did not take any pictures, but if you are mildly mechanically minded andtake your time, the instructions that come with it are easy to follow to beable to do a good job. If I could emphasize one recommendation....it would be:

MEASURE TWICE, THEN, DRILL JUST ONCE....

Mine came out perfect, no dumb mistakes were made...thankfully.Good luck!

KenHash
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Could somene post at least a description of the spoiler installation process?

-How many holes must be drilled?- Drilled through what part? From the outside or inside?- Are bolts&nuts used in these holes?- Can these holes be made with a standard home drill?-Does the spiler come with anything to assist installation, such as an installation instruction sheet with pictures? Or a pre-printed guide to use for drill hole location?-About how long did it take to install?

Thanks very much

mistergib

KenHash wrote:Could somene post at least a description of the spoiler installation process?

-How many holes must be drilled?- Drilled through what part? From the outside or inside?- Are bolts&nuts used in these holes?- Can these holes be made with a standard home drill?-Does the spiler come with anything to assist installation, such as an installation instruction sheet with pictures? Or a pre-printed guide to use for drill hole location?-About how long did it take to install?

Thanks very much
ok...here ya go...

4 holes drilled, (from the outside), in the top of the rear hatch. (drilling template included with spoiler). You must remove the interior vinyl panel first.....it just pops out.

Can be easily drilled with you basic electric drill.

Spoiler has 4 threaded studs that you put thru the 4 drilled holes, andthen thread four nuts on to them from the inside.

The spoiler comes with a step-by-step instruction sheet with pictures, andthe paper drilling template to mark where to drill.

It took me approx. 2 hours to install in my garage.

Hope this helps....

NOTE: Keep in mind that I bought mine from a Nissan Dealership, the above steps are what MINE required.....I can't guarantee that the stepsof the other aftermarket spoilers will be the same as mine???
Modified by mistergib at 5:18 PM 5/1/2008

boooey

i had the dealer install mine, and they did not do the greatest job. it looks good, but the left corner edge keeps coming up a little bit.. its annoying as hell.

i brought it back to them and they claimed that the 2way tape that comes on the spoiler was very thin..so they stuck some more 3m tape up the corner there, but its still comes up slightly.. very minute, but i notice little details like this.the dealer is full of crap. they think the customers are all retarded, and wont know any better.

when they said it was their first Rogue spoiler install, i should of been more concerned..You prolly woudn't even notice at first glance, it does look really sweet, but I really pay attention to details.

so, even if you go to the dealer, you aren't guaranteed a perfect install.I would say if you are good with a drill, it should be no problem for you.

here is a pdf of the install instructions. http://rapidshare.com/files/11....html DF

mistergib

...thats the exact reason that I did my own install.....I am very confident that I can do as good, and in your case, better installationthan the dealer. Sounds like they gave the install to an amateur causethis spoiler is actually very easy to install and do a professional job. Itsnot rocket science.... Sorry you had to pay the price for inferior service.....

KenHash
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

Thanks for the straight up answers misteribAnd the PDF file booey.More than sufficient info to determine if I should do itmyself, have the dealer do it, or my local body shop.

Thanks very much

insomnia816
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I have bought an aftermarket spoiler from eBay and decided to do-it-myself since my dealer doesn't offer non-genuine Nissan part service. I have gather most information pretty much to believe myself I will do a good job on installing the spoiler. I have got everything except the bolt install question. I will try to post the photo of my spoiler with screw tomorrow after work to make things more clear of what I meant.

Basically I follow the guideline from this link:http://www.courtesyparts.com/i...l.pdf

The part I dont get is how do I screw in both 4 nuts and bolts? I can't picture to put the flange hex nuts from inside the spoiler out toward the trim panel so I can screw the nuts on it (figure 13 & 14). Same with reverse on both outter holes, can someone help me out please? Thanks!

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

insomnia816 wrote:
Basically I follow the guideline from this link:http://www.courtesyparts.com/i...l.pdf

The part I dont get is how do I screw in both 4 nuts and bolts? I can't picture to put the flange hex nuts from inside the spoiler out toward the trim panel so I can screw the nuts on it (figure 13 & 14). Same with reverse on both outter holes, can someone help me out please? Thanks!
Figures 13 and 14 are the correct figures to reference for your question.However... you state "how do I screw in both 4 nuts and bolts?"

Answer: You don't!. (At least not with a genuine Nissan spoiler.) If your spoiler is modeled after a genuine Nissan spoiler you should only have "Two" bolts as shown in Figure 13... and "Two" hex head nuts as shown in Figure 14.

Using the template you drill "Four" holes into the top rear hatch area. The genuine Nissan spoiler has "Two" bolts STUDS that are already mounted to (molded into) the underside of the spoiler when it comes from the factory, as well as two threaded bolt holes into which you will screw the two bolts shown in Figure 13.

After drilling the four holes in your hatch... you position the spoiler in place by inserting the Two bolt studs on the spoiler into the two inside holes you drilled. (The two holes closest to each other) If you have someone helping you they can screw the two nuts onto the two bolts studs that now protrude through to the inside of the hatch (or you can hold the spoiler in place with tape as stated in the installation instructions, and crawl into the back cargo area and screw on the nuts yourself.)

Once the two nuts are in place you (or your helper) still inside the rear cargo area, insert the Two bolts (shown in Figure 13) through the two outside holes your drilled (the two holes furthest apart from each other) into the two threaded bolts holes in the spoiler.

Hope this helps.

insomnia816

Elton Noway wrote:
Figures 13 and 14 are the correct figures to reference for your question.However... you state "how do I screw in both 4 nuts and bolts?"

Answer: You don't!. (At least not with a genuine Nissan spoiler.) If your spoiler is modeled after a genuine Nissan spoiler you should only have "Two" bolts as shown in Figure 13... and "Two" hex head nuts as shown in Figure 14.

Using the template you drill "Four" holes into the top rear hatch area. The genuine Nissan spoiler has "Two" bolts STUDS that are already mounted to (molded into) the underside of the spoiler when it comes from the factory, as well as two threaded bolt holes into which you will screw the two bolts shown in Figure 13.

After drilling the four holes in your hatch... you position the spoiler in place by inserting the Two bolt studs on the spoiler into the two inside holes you drilled. (The two holes closest to each other) If you have someone helping you they can screw the two nuts onto the two bolts studs that now protrude through to the inside of the hatch (or you can hold the spoiler in place with tape as stated in the installation instructions, and crawl into the back cargo area and screw on the nuts yourself.)

Once the two nuts are in place you (or your helper) still inside the rear cargo area, insert the Two bolts (shown in Figure 13) through the two outside holes your drilled (the two holes furthest apart from each other) into the two threaded bolts holes in the spoiler.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! so that clears things up pretty good. Genuine parts do have studs in middle two holes. I do in fact have the un-studed mold holes on my aftermarket spoilers (which eventually I will need to find a way to stud it in) I will also need to thread the holes first since the bolts they came with has very little threading and I dont think it will hold much longer than the M6 flange bolt and nuts. IMHO I dont think those bolts will hold the spoiler

lou from ny

fwiw, i have an aftermarket spoiler as well. i didn't feel i could accurately drill those 4 holes without being off 1/4" so i went to a local body shop. it cost $100 and 45 minutes later it was done. no fuss, no stress.

but i DO wish i was able to see how they did it and share their secret. there are NO HOLES visible from the inside!?!?!!? you can't see any bolt heads

Elton Noway

lou from ny wrote:but i DO wish i was able to see how they did it and share their secret. there are NO HOLES visible from the inside!?!?!!? you can't see any bolt heads
Hi Lou... That means they installed it properly. If I paid an installer to install mine and I could see the bolts... I'd have had to shoot someone.

If you open the hatch and look at the plastic trim that surrounds the hatch window glass on the inside you will notice a section of trim about 2 feet wide just above the top of the window (closest to the hinges). This section pops out. The nuts and bolts are concealed behind this plastic trim piece. Because the aftermarket spoilers don't have the studs mounted in them I'm guessing they could be installed via the four bolts all being screwed into the spoiler from the inside of the hatch through the four holes they drilled, then when the plastic trim is re-installed, the bolts are covered.

FYI: The spoilers are also held in place by a couple good sections of 3M double sided tape (just like the tape used to affix the ABS grills, body side molding and the chrome door handle covers.)

insomnia816

Quote »FYI: The spoilers are also held in place by a couple good sections of 3M double sided tape (just like the tape used to affix the ABS grills, body side molding and the chrome door handle covers.)[/quote]Hi Elton, that's correct. That's why I plan to conceal the edge around the pilot holes with 3m double sided acrylic tape to make sure no dust and water gets into the spoiler.

I am still thinking wheather to go with two bolts/studs or plain four bolts straight in. I drive on highway to work everyday so stability is my major concern.

Elton Noway

insomnia816 wrote:Hi Elton, that's correct. That's why I plan to conceal the edge around the pilot holes with 3m double sided acrylic tape to make sure no dust and water gets into the spoiler.
Hey insomnia... Glad you mentioned it. Sealing around the edges of the holes drilled into the hatch is also an important step to prevent water from entering the inside of the hatch. In addition to the 3M double sided tape, the genuine Nissan spoiler also has a row of weather stripping along the edge to cut down on water and dirt going between the spoiler and the hatch.
insomnia816 wrote:I am still thinking wheather to go with two bolts/studs or plain four bolts straight in. I drive on highway to work everyday so stability is my major concern.
Not sure if it will help... but when I get into the office I'll post some pictures in this thread of a Nissan spoiler as it comes out of the box. You'll be able to see the weather stripping, areas of 3M tape application as well as the studs and screw holes. As they say... "A picture is worth a thousand words "
Modified by Elton Noway at 9:02 AM 1/3/2010

philipa_240sx

Elton Noway wrote:Hey insomnia... Glad you mentioned it. Sealing around the edges of the holes drilled into the hatch is also an important step to prevent water from entering
I reviewed the installation manual provided above. I like the way there is only adhesive tape on the top edge of the spoiler. It keeps most water out but allows it to drain away via the bottom edge of the spoiler... an important feature IMHO. Whatever you do, don't seal the entire spoiler to the car! Water will find it's way in and become trapped leading to corrosion. It's like the roof on your house... it's not 'sealed' to try and keep rain out, instead the shingles and flashing are designed to direct water away and allow the roof and house to 'breathe'.

Assuming the factory did not provide something to seal around the bolt holes, a small piece of tape or foam is probably not a bad idea so long as the there is way for water to 'drain' should it get in there.

Elton Noway

Elton Noway wrote:... when I get into the office I'll post some pictures in this thread of a Nissan spoiler as it comes out of the box.
As Promised:

insomnia816

Hi Elton, thanks for the photos you share. That was very informative! I can now see the differences in qualities between genuine vs aftermarket parts. The Neoprene weatherstripping surely give me the knowledge how to prevent most water to get in but also allow it to flow out. Noticed how it is connect with many pieces instead of one. The photos on each pilot holes was also nicely shot along with the stud ones. I will definitely take into more consideration once I have put up mine. The wing is currently siting in my basement due to raining weather up here in Canada.

Elton Noway

insomnia816 wrote:Hi Elton, thanks for the photos you share. That was very informative! I can now see the differences in qualities between genuine vs aftermarket parts.
No problem... glad I can help. Hey... don't be too hard on yourself by buying a spoiler off eBay. Many of the aftermarket spoilers available on eBay (like the ones from SportWing) are excellent.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/sp...cat=0

Its not a quality issue as much as some minor finishing touches (like weather stripping). In reality, once installed you can't tell them from the genuine Nissan spoilers and you save at least $100 bucks. I can't argue with that.

In fact with other sellers (like The SpoilerStore) you can save $200 dollars over thre price of a Nissan branded spoiler!

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/th...cat=0

To save $100 or more by buying a aftermarket spoiler I'd gladly apply my own weather stripping and 3M tape. The only reason I ended up with a Nissan factory spoiler was I helped one of the Nissan dealers with their website and they gave me a price that was too good to pass up.

BTW... here’s another photo that might help with your thought process:

insomnia816

Elton Noway wrote:
No problem... glad I can help. Hey... don't be too hard on yourself by buying a spoiler off eBay. Many of the aftermarket spoilers available on eBay (like the ones from SportWing) are excellent.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/sp...cat=0

Its not a quality issue as much as some minor finishing touches (like weather stripping). In reality, once installed you can't tell them from the genuine Nissan spoilers and you save at least $100 bucks. I can't argue with that.

In fact with other sellers (like The SpoilerStore) you can save $200 dollars over thre price of a Nissan branded spoiler!

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/th...cat=0

To save $100 or more by buying a aftermarket spoiler I'd gladly apply my own weather stripping and 3M tape. The only reason I ended up with a Nissan factory spoiler was I helped one of the Nissan dealers with their website and they gave me a price that was too good to pass up.

BTW... here’s another photo that might help with your thought process:
Your right Elton. Sometimes surfing the internet surely helps alot. I lived in Canada and I do feel lucky myself I didnt have it pre-installed when buying the vehicle. I swear I will be crying in tears as the Canadian spoiler is not worth the money and looks. I true too got the wings from the eBay (forgot the name but they called it California Wings) It wil nicely painted and shipped with foams to protected it. Its just the shipping cost might be a little bit too over. But its all worth the money anyway. Thanks for the last photo and yeah I saw those photos back a while ago too from another spoiler supplier which is at:

http://www.dawn-ent.com/install/rogue.htm

Now I just hope the wing is already on my car now

clee666
Car: Nissan Rogue 08

I have the canadian spoiler on my rogue.It is so small, I hate it.Anyone know if the US spoiler fits in the same holes?If yes, I will buy one in the US and swap it.Thanks

Elton Noway

clee666 wrote:I have the canadian spoiler on my rogue.It is so small, I hate it. Anyone know if the US spoiler fits in the same holes?If yes, I will buy one in the US and swap it.Thanks
Two things... if you want to sell your small spoiler you may want to try contacting THawks (another NicoClub member) he's in the US but looking for a Canadian spoiler. Check out the first post in this thread.

zer...olier

As to whether or not the mounting holes are the same... I have no idea "however"... I would have to guess "Yes". I say yes because there are four small access openings inside the top edge of the rear hatch where you insert your socket wrench to tighten the nuts and bolts that hold the spoiler on. It wouldn't make sense for Nissan to design a completely different installation system for a different size spoiler. Besides, the spoiler covers the bolt holes so even if you had to drill new holes the spoiler would cover the old holes. All you would need to do is fill the old holes with 100% silicone adhesive (i.e., bathroom caulk) to keep the water out.

Elton Noway

Just and update... I promised I'd update this thread with additional installation instructions... sorry it took so long.

I'll spare everyone by not posting pictures of the final install, (only because there are already tons of them scattered throughout this forum). Instead I'll just go over my installation experience.

Believe it or not... the delay / hesitation in installing the spoiler was not because I was questioning my ability to install it... but rather if I liked the way they looked. I really like the lines of the Rogue without the spoiler and have seen plenty of Rogues both with and without. With the spoiler it looks an awful lot like the Murano or Lexus SUV. (i.e., like too many other cars on the road) Even though I seemed to favor the look without the spoiler I decided to go ahead and install it (especially since I had already spent the money.)

My installation came out “perfect” in every aspect. INMO a dealer installed spoiler could not be any more perfect. I’m extremely pleased with the final installation but still on the fence thinking I also like the look of the Rogue without the spoiler. (although there is no going back now) Actually my wife was the one that helped me make the decision to install it. It's her car and she prefers the look of the Rogue with the spoiler.

Anyway… as already mentioned by other members in this and other threads, there are multiple suppliers of OEM aftermarket spoilers. They are available in both plastic or fiberglass models and can be purchased via eBay or directly from a Nissan Dealership if you must install a genuine Nissan part.

Points of interest:Genuine Nissan spoilers are one piece and made of ABS injected plastic (i.e., blow molded). Although one could argue fiberglass is structurally stronger, most of us will not be subjecting our Rogues to the triple digit speed that would be needed to induce structural failure in the ABS. Also, unlike fiberglass, plastic spoilers are less prone to cracking and chipping. Before you discount putting ABS plastic accessories on you car (be it a grille appliqué or spoiler) consider that ABS plastic is used in a myriad of products including, but not limited to, plumbing/piping, gun stocks, computer cases and motorcycle helmets. It is considered a superior material due to its hardness, impact resistance, gloss, and toughness. It also has a useful temperature range from -40 to 100 °C. (-104 to 212 °F) In our application (readers of this forum) the Rogue spoiler is for form rather than function and therefore plastic is the better choice because they are lighter that fiberglass.

Side note: As you may have read in other threads the rear hatch lift struts (lift stays) get weak over time and have a problem holding the rear hatch up.

Even though the genuine Nissan spoiler is hollow plastic... with the paint and hardware it weighs in at a whopping 5 pounds! (I used a digital postal scale to weigh mine just prior to installation) My Rogue is only 6 months old. After installing the rear spoiler I can tell you the rear hatch "does not" go up at quickly or as snappy as it used to. It still goes up unassisted and opens up fully… but at a much slower pace that it did before installing the spoiler.

InstallationPlease Note: The following steps and pics reference the installation of a genuine Nissan spoiler and may differ when installing an aftermarket version. Genuine Nissan spoilers usually run $240 and up depending on who you buy them, from while aftermarket spoilers advertised as “the same as those sold by Nissan” (i.e. elitespoilers dot com) start at $129. Last, you always have the eBay option with unpainted spoilers as low as $89. If your are buying from any vendor who requests the paint code… be sure to look at your id plate found on the inside edge of the drivers side door. DO NOT give them the name of the color (like phantom white) You may hate yourself for it. ALWAYS give them actual paint code number from your ID plate.

The spoiler comes with a step-by-step instruction sheet with pictures, andthe paper drilling template so you can accurately mark the 4 drill hole locations. I may be more cautious than most (i.e., measure two and three times, cut/drill once etc) Anyway... as a result it took me 2 hours to complete the installation.

The spoiler is held in place by 4 threaded studs. Two that are affixed to the spoiler and two that are screwed in (from inside the cabin area) once the spoiler is partially attached to the roof. Apply the spoiler installation Drilling Template to the rear hatch area

Alignment of Template

4 holes will be drilled, (from the outside) into the top of the rear hatch. Before drilling you must remove the interior vinyl trim panel. The installation instructions identify using a Nissan trim removal tool to remove the interior trim but it is unnecessary as the trim easily pops out. Simply insert your fingers between the glass and trim near the center of the trim piece and pull. The latches are simple cabinet style spring clips and the panel just pops out.

Trim - Spring Clips

You also need to pull out the wiring grommets and tape them out of the way so when you drill the holes from above you don't drill into the grommet, the wiring or the rear wiper fluid line (if applicable).

After the template has been positioned, use a center punch (or some other pointed object) to mark the center line of each of the four drill hole locations. Once you have marked your roof with the four locations, the template can be removed. Using the drill bit size indicated in your instructions the holes can be easily drilled with your basic electric drill.

After the spoiler is installed the installation instructions advise you to use an air gun (pressurized air) to blast out any metal shavings from the cracks, crevices and the window gaskets. Even though I have an air compressor I elected to use painters tape (as you can see in the above photo) to cover the window cracks and catch the filings as they fell, thus keeping the filings out of the gasket and from sliding down the hatch into other cracks, in the first place. I then used a magnet to lift the filings off the tape and roof rather than brush them off and risk scratching the clear coat.

NOTE: BEFORE moving the 3M adhesive tape backing and bolting down the spoiler, I strongly recommend a dry fit. (i.e., install the spoiler by bolting it into place "without" removing the backing from the 3M tape. Once installed check the placement, clearances etc. Then... if you are satisfied with the finished look, remove the spoiler, remove the 3M tape backing and reinstall the spoiler. Yes its a pain and can add another 15 or 20 minutes to your install time but its well worth the effort. As mentioned in the installation instructions, you can elongate the holes with a round file (if needed) to achieve the proper position, just remember to repaint any bare metal surfaces. I had to do this even though my center punch and holes were dead on!

Installing the nuts on to the two center studs is relatively quick and easy. However, installing the two bolts through the grommet hole openings, and through the holes you drilled and into the bolt holes on the right and left sides of the spoiler is a little trickier. After installing the nuts on the two center studs I used a flashlight to look into the grommet hole openings to see if the holes I drilled were lined up with the factory bolt holes in the spoiler. One was not. I found I had to elongate the left edge of one hole slightly so the bolt would have a clear shot going into the bolt hole in the spoiler. NOTE: Be aware the right and left bolts, the ones installed thru the grommet hole openings, screw into the ends of the spoiler where the edges turn to down. As a result the bolts actually screw in at a slight angle rather that straight on like the two bolts in the center of the spoiler.

Once mounted, if your template was properly positioned, the contour of the spoiler should align perfectly with the contour of the rear hatch...

and... providing the template was properly positioned, the distance / measurement (i.e., gap) between at the left edge of the spoiler and the hatch, should be the same as the gap measurement on the right side of the spoiler and the hatch.

______________________LEFT___________________________________________ RIGHT____________________

Final Note: Keep in mind that I bought mine from a Nissan Dealership and the above steps are what my specific spoiler required.....I can't guarantee that the steps of other aftermarket spoilers will be the same as mine... but... they should work as a general guidelines.

Hope this helps....
Modified by Elton Noway at 9:13 AM 1/3/2010

insomnia816

Hey Elton~

Happy New Year! Glad you brought up this topic again (which was covered with dust & snow already, hehe). I want to say is that that was a nice demonstration and walk-through on installing the spoiler and congradulation too! I, too, am debating myself whether to put up the spoiler or not because it really is making rogue Murano-Rx350 alike as I have seen so many on the street. The reason I would want to put it up is because I have not seen a single rogue in my city has the spoiler on, which makes my rogue unique. However, on the other hand, by putting on the spoiler would mean I put rogue's exterior equivelent to several SUV's out there on the roads, which decreases Rogue's recognition to other brand. Its like flipping a dime, really hard to make a win-win situation. But you know what? What makes it so special is because its a DIY (do-it-yourself) project which on one hand saves your money going to the dealer install. On the other hand, it gives you pride in a sense of accomplishment whenever you are driving on the road. And you have your friends cheering for you saying "whoa~! you have added a spoiler to your vehicle!? That's so cool! I want have one on mine too! Where did you get it and where did you get it installed??" You know, these kinds of feedback makes you feel really proud.

P.S. Did you throw the template into the garbage? I thought I might get a good of it :P I asked the guy at courtesyparts.com and they don't ship out just the template. So i have to go with the strip method

clee666

Can I swap my Canadian spoiler with the US spoiler without having to drill new holes?Are the holes for both versions at the same positions?

philipa_240sx

clee666 wrote:Can I swap my Canadian spoiler with the US spoiler without having to drill new holes? Are the holes for both versions at the same positions?
Only one other member has tried this: bboard. And his was swapped by the dealer so we never got a clear picture if the bolt holes lined up or not.

zer...19583

I will try and e-mail him for more information.

philipa_240sx

I heard back from bboard. The dealer swapped his spoiler for the US one, so he has no idea if the bolt holes are the same.

I directed him to this thread and he is going to pull the trim panel inside to see if any new bolt holes have been drilled.

Be patient, we should have an answer in the next week or so.

philipa_240sx

Update:

I just heard back from bboard. He pulled the trim panel and found the dealer had filled in the bolt holes and drilled new ones. This means that swapping the US spoiler for a CDN one will not be a simple bolt-on.

Same goes for many of the aftermarket spoilers. At best, they might match the USA spoiler bolt locations.

clee666

philipa_240sx wrote:Update:

I just heard back from bboard. He pulled the trim panel and found the dealer had filled in the bolt holes and drilled new ones. This means that swapping the US spoiler for a CDN one will not be a simple bolt-on.

Same goes for many of the aftermarket spoilers. At best, they might match the USA spoiler bolt locations.
thanks for your research and for sharing your infoI guess I will have to keep my tiny CDN spoiler

Elton Noway

clee666 wrote:thanks for your research and for sharing your infoI guess I will have to keep my tiny CDN spoiler
Well... I don't think I would let a few extra holes stop me. Based on the correspondence philipa had with bboard... it sounds like the dealer simply drilled new holes and filled in the old ones. (Actually it just sounds difficult)

Both the Canadian and US spoilers attach via bolt holes drilled at the top edge of the rear hatch. The spoiler, once installed, covers the entire working area (where the holes are drilled). In fact, the instructions that came with my genuine Nissan spoiler warned that the holes I drilled using the "provided template" may not line up with the bolt holes on the spoiler and that I may need "elongate or file the holes larger". Sure enough I had to slightly enlarge two holes. HOWEVER... the key to a successful installation is removing any burrs and painting any the exposed bare metal (edges of the hole) with a good rust preventative paint.

NET: Because the original holes drilled for the Canadian spoiler won't show once the US spoiler is installed, all you need to do (after you've painted any bare metal) is to fill in the hole with with something that will keep out the moisture. Personally... I'd use 100% silicone. It will provide a weather tight seal and will outlast the life of the car.

It would be quite simple actually... With the inside trim panel removed, and working from the inside of the hatch, apply a piece of scotch tape or masking tape etc., so it covers the hole. Then... working from the outside of the hatch, squeeze some silicone into the hole and extending "around" the outer edge of the hole by at leas 1/4 inch. Work the silicone around the hole area with your finger tip just to make sure you have good surface contact and good seal. NOTE: The only purpose of the tape tape applied on the inside is it will keep the silicone from dripping through the hole while it is setting up. Let the silicone dry overnight... then proceed with the installation of the US spoiler.

philipa_240sx

bboard has sent me some photos showing the relocated bolt holes. I just haven't had time to upload them. The new bolt holes are off by about 1" or so. The dealer did indeed silicone the old ones closed.

Return to “Rogue Forum”