Moonroof gasket seal weatherstripping ...whatever, how to replace

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Augy

The weatherstripping around my moonroof has broke. I bought a replacement but it's one piece and now that I'm looking at actually changing it out, I'm not really sure I know how.

Anyone done this? Advice? Is it covered in anyone's service manual?

Thanks!

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

You have to remove the whole sunroof assembly, have fun.

I think driverdriver will chime in with instructions on how to do it exactly.

Gerardjg
Car: 2007 Cobalt LS
2011 Hyundai Accent
2016 Kia Optima

This is on my list of things to do, here is a link with instructions. http://www.fuzzycats.com/docs/sunroof_repair.pdf

Augy

Thanks for the link. Looks like a real PITA but pretty straight-forward. Anyone know how long this should take? What does the dealership charge in hours?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Dealer would take a long time, at least 8 billable hours. Id just do it at home over a weekend...

Just think, at least it wont leave the car incapacitated in case you have to go somewhere.... Most delicate part is going to be taking the headliner down without destroying clips... it can be done, but look at it this way, the dealer is going to be less concerned about being careful, just getting it done as fast as possible.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

I did it myself a few years ago. Be patient and take your time with the headliner, you don't want any clips to break. I think it took me a whole Saturday.

Its pretty straightforward to do. Just long and tedious.

Augy

After reading through this procedure I'm wondering if I actually HAVE to completely remove the sunroof assembly just to change the weatherstripping. It almost looks like you can detatch the interior panel (part covered in the same material as the headliner), slide it back, and gain access to 4 of the 6 bolts holding the "lid" to the sunroof assembly. Not sure if you can do this and even if you could I'm not certain you can access the remaing 2 bolts. Has anyone ever replaced just the weatherstripping and, if so, did you have to remove the whole assembly to do so?

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the answer

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

The rail assembly needs to be out of the way for you to properly access the sunroof lid in order to remove the old weatherstripping and affix the new one.

Don't roll back the headliner or lining material, it will crease badly-I think this has something to do with age of the material.

In my experience, I didn't remove the backseat, I did remove the front seats and tarped the back seat with painters drop cloth. It is a little harder to remove the headliner from its rear clips but not impossible.

It helps if you have an assistant for some of this work. I paid a few buddies with beers and a BBQ. It helped that one was a mechanic and the other an engineer. These guys are creative in solving problems on "the fly".

The most important advice is to be patient when doing this work. Get rid of any distractions (i.e. wife, girlfriend, etc) - I sent my wife (and my buddies did the same) to a spa downtown for the day, so we could work in peace.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

The biggest pain is just getting the headliner OUT of the car, I did this with all my seats in but I slightly bent it and there is a small crease now, not a biggie.

I would recommend at least removing the passanger seat tho.

Augy

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I'll wait for a little warmer weekend (I'm in Iowa) to tackle this project. My neighbor, who works for beers, suggested the obvious in that I won't be using the sunroof for a few months anyway

I guess I'll have plenty of time to really read and re-read the TSB on this so I am fully confident I can get 1/2 way through it before the beer-fridge gets opened

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Hey guys, long time since I've gotten on here. You CAN remove the lid without having to take everything apart... headliner, etc.

Here's what you do... Open sunroof about half-way. You want to open it just enough to fit your head in the opening. Kneel on the driver seat (facing rear of car) and look between the outer lid (the outer metal part) and the felt lined part. On the right and left sides, you'll see two black spring loaded plastic clips that you have to unhook. I used a couple putty-knives for this. The trick is to push the felt liner towards the back of the car as you pull up on the spring loaded clips.

Basically you're trying to separate the liner from the sunroof lid to expose the six bolts that attach the lid to the sunroof rail. Anyway, as the felt-lined half starts to slide back close the sunroof a little more, this will allow the felt piece to slide further. You'll need to keep doing this until the sunroof is completely closed and the felt liner half is basically slid all the way back. Don't worry, it can't slide too far back (there's a metal bracket in the back of the assembly that keeps the felt from going too far back).

Anyway, once the 6 bolts are exposed, you can easily remove the lid and replace the seal/weatherstipping. Put the lid back on and reattach the 6 bolts.

Once finished, open the lid all the way. Opening the lid all the way will make the metal lid slip back over the felt-lined half and you'll hear the spring-loaded clips re-engage. Close the sunroof and both halves will close like the always have.

Good luck.

Augy

Yep, carlos_knology was right. I just did this and it took all of a half-hour to get the lid removed. That was with 15 minutes trying to figure out exactly what clips needed to be lifted to allow the liner cover to move back.

I was looking for a spring-clip but that isn't what it was. Rather, it's a lever type device witha spring on it to hold it down. Once I figured out what needed to move, it was very simple.

I just installed the new weather-stripping and am waiting for the silicone to dry enough to put the lid back on.

Thanks for all the help and a special thanks to carlos...his post saved me an entire day and who knows how much headache!

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

Awesome news. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Great info!!

rdorman
Car: 1995 j30

I just used Carlos method and it worked perfectly. Entire job took about 1 hour.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

His website has been a blessing for me !!!Just wish he would change the Tie rod link to tension rod !!! LOLI sent you an email about that moons ago Carlos.

emdeee
Car: Infiniti J30t

Hey guys, I was having problems with my sunroof seal as well but I was too lazy to buy a new one and go through the whole ordeal.

It was at a stage where there was a little bit of water leaking when I would go through car washes etc. but rain wouldn't come in.

I just pushed up the seal from the sides what it was come off from and used a resin epoxy (super glue) mixture and mader it a permenant seal. Now there's no water entering and the rusty parts are hidden and covered nicley too. There is still a gap between the liner at the rear side of the sunroof but I am just going to fill it up with a clear sillicon paste which is removable anytime and will fill up the gap nicely.

All the posts were very nice though. Was good to learn various techniques!

suren

where did you bought the part and what did you pay. Since it itsimpler to install, now I want to change gasket also. Thanks.

jamesmost
Car: "95Qmodded, Benz wagon 4matic , 1986 MB 560sec

carlos_knology wrote:Hey guys, long time since I've gotten on here. You CAN remove the lid without having to take everything apart... headliner, etc.

Here's what you do... Open sunroof about half-way. You want to open it just enough to fit your head in the opening. Kneel on the driver seat (facing rear of car) and look between the outer lid (the outer metal part) and the felt lined part. On the right and left sides, you'll see two black spring loaded plastic clips that you have to unhook. I used a couple putty-knives for this. The trick is to push the felt liner towards the back of the car as you pull up on the spring loaded clips.

Basically you're trying to separate the liner from the sunroof lid to expose the six bolts that attach the lid to the sunroof rail. Anyway, as the felt-lined half starts to slide back close the sunroof a little more, this will allow the felt piece to slide further. You'll need to keep doing this until the sunroof is completely closed and the felt liner half is basically slid all the way back. Don't worry, it can't slide too far back (there's a metal bracket in the back of the assembly that keeps the felt from going too far back).

Anyway, once the 6 bolts are exposed, you can easily remove the lid and replace the seal/weatherstipping. Put the lid back on and reattach the 6 bolts.

Once finished, open the lid all the way. Opening the lid all the way will make the metal lid slip back over the felt-lined half and you'll hear the spring-loaded clips re-engage. Close the sunroof and both halves will close like the always have.

Good luck.
LETS STICKY THIS IN THE DIYI attacked my seal this morning \ bty MONSOON outsidetilted the roof up and started pulling, next thing i know im in overmy head and my roof is stuck half open and had to cut part of the gasket off to un stuck it.Turn to my old friend NICO and SEARCHI find this thread and start reading , Guess im not going to work today and sweating like a pig for 8 HOURS while destroying my head liner.Then i find this post, whammo 30 minutes later new seal instaled.Love it.Sticky it up

geauxapl
Car: 1993 and 2000 Infiniti Q45

Great info - just what I needed to replace the seal. Thanks!!

Svenfran
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima

Does anyone have a link to where I can buy the weatherstrip with the fiberglass trim piece without replacing the whole glass lid. The fiberglass is cracked and broken from age and the rubber weatherstrip beneath it has come loose. It looks pretty straightforward to replace if I can find the part, but they don't seem to list it separately in the Nissan catalog. It's for a 1995 Nissan Maxima. Everything else still works at 18 years and 223K miles. Thanks, Svenfran

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

sorry guys, I just dont understand how to move the clip so that the felt liner will start to move back...can someone give me a better explanation...

Rich

fourdrinie

ok, I found the right clips to unattach, the felt liner goes back all the way, however when I move the rooftop about halfway closed the liner starts coming with as their seems to be a backstop pushing it forward....I can get to the front nuts on the sunroof but not the back ones....is there a way to keep the liner from coming forward?

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

looks like we need a sequence of pics on this maneuver.

fourdrinie

Looks like I found the answer to my problem: another set of clips! will have look for them during the week!
Another explanation:
The bolts holding your sunroof lid attached to the rear guides are located
behind the felt liner on the sunroof lid (the part of the sunroof lid that faces
the inside of the car and has the same material as the headliner). In other
words, the screws are sandwiched between the sunroof lid and the felt liner.
To get access to these screws, you’ll have to slide the felt liner towards the
back of the sunroof. To release the felt liner from the sunroof lid you’ll need
to insert a screwdriver in the front of the sunroof opening (between the
sunroof lid and the felt liner )) to pry up two plastic clips
holding the felt liner to the sunroof lid. The clips are located on the left and
right side of the opening (driver and passenger sides). As you lift up the clip,
apply pressure on the felt liner towards the back of the sunroof. Do this on
both sides and the felt liner will slide back exposing four of the six screws.

To get to the last screw, you’ll have to slide the felt liner further back. You’ll
notice that the liner will catch on something. This “something” is another set
of clips. These clips are located on the edges of the little felt liner pop-up
opening (the piece of the felt liner that pops up when you tilt the sunroof
open). Push these clips up and the felt liner should slide all the way back.
You may have to close the sunroof door to expose the last two screws. I
ended up completely removing the felt liner out of the rail assembly by sliding
it all the way out the back of the rail.

fourdrinie

there are good pics here with this link:
http://www.fuzzycats.com/docs/sunroof_repair.pdf
I am referring to pics:19, 20 and 21, esp 21 which shows the plastic clip you need to move out of the way

Svenfran
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima

At the risk of confusing the issue, I can confirm that it was much easier than described on my 1995 Maxima. Less than one hour. I don't know about other iterations of Maxima/Infiniti. See this post for the very simple procedure:
maxima-sunroof-gasket-and-trim-t569162.html

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”