Lowering your Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Kojack021
Car: NIssan Rogue S Special Edition

Of the people on here who have lowered your rogue, what have you found to be the pros and cons of doing this. Also if you have any pics I would love to see how it came out.

Thank You
:yesnod

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

the pro's & CONS are the same in all cars. let me be frank: screwing with the suspension on any car is simply asking for problems. if you have money to throw into the wind, then go ahead and mess with your suspension. im not going to go too deep into it, as my rant would last for 4hours, but i will summarize it as briefly as possible.

your car was designed with parts to be at a certain extension, at a certain load, at a certain angle, and all those points is where a car should stay at, for the duration of its life; so dont mess with it- because you will put the car at its extreme points(which were designed to be temporary- not permanent)
The suspension in any car is so complex & sophisticated, that it does so much more than just absorb bumps. it helps the car corner, it pre-loads and adjusts to braking, it helps the car in evasive maneuvers, it helps the car maintain stability at high speeds, it helps the tires wear evenly, etc etc etc etc

screwing with your suspension will increase the angles stock components have to work under, and that will in return stress ball joints, tires, bushings, bearings, tie-rods, etc. expect parts to wear really-really fast. expect a stiffer ride. expect to change tires much more often because the inside will wear twice, if not 3 times as fast as the rest of the tire. expect to invalidate your warranty. expect to lower the value of your car. basically, expect to re-install all the original equipment in your car in 2 years time.

if someone was to ask me my opinion: id tell them to stay away from raising or lowering the suspension at all costs.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

But ImStricken, Stance will make her dance!

jk. I agree w/ all these points. On the Rogue at least ;)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

its the truth to all cars. if the car was designed at the factory(or the WHOLE suspension system is rebuilt form the ground up) thats the way it should stay. stressing drive shafts, cv-joints, and all the other components is silly to really only gain cosmetic changes. for the money that one will throw to do the job right, $8,000-$10,000 = its often better to sell your car, save the 8-10k, and buy a sportier car that was designed to be stiffer/lower. evo8, sti, genises, g37, etc

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

ImStricken wrote:the pro's & CONS are the same in all cars. let me be frank: screwing with the suspension on any car is simply asking for problems. if you have money to throw into the wind, then go ahead and mess with your suspension. im not going to go too deep into it, as my rant would last for 4hours, but i will summarize it as briefly as possible.

your car was designed with parts to be at a certain extension, at a certain load, at a certain angle, and all those points is where a car should stay at, for the duration of its life; so dont mess with it- because you will put the car at its extreme points(which were designed to be temporary- not permanent)
The suspension in any car is so complex & sophisticated, that it does so much more than just absorb bumps. it helps the car corner, it pre-loads and adjusts to braking, it helps the car in evasive maneuvers, it helps the car maintain stability at high speeds, it helps the tires wear evenly, etc etc etc etc

screwing with your suspension will increase the angles stock components have to work under, and that will in return stress ball joints, tires, bushings, bearings, tie-rods, etc. expect parts to wear really-really fast. expect a stiffer ride. expect to change tires much more often because the inside will wear twice, if not 3 times as fast as the rest of the tire. expect to invalidate your warranty. expect to lower the value of your car. basically, expect to re-install all the original equipment in your car in 2 years time.

if someone was to ask me my opinion: id tell them to stay away from raising or lowering the suspension at all costs.
I want to both agree and disagree with you...

When I had my Accord, I installed the HFP (Honda Factory Performance) suspension which consisted of struts and springs lowered the car 1" all the way around. With the HFP suspension, the car handled amazingly well and I regularly travelled on I-95 from the GW to the Delaware Memorial Bridge at an average speed of 85-90 with the car feeling incredibly stable... I would regularly hit 100MPH for extended periods of time as well actually (not recommended to anyone, I'm not bragging about my speed, just that the car could handle it with composure) and I was always able to make it do whatever it needed to without any drama. **I do not drive my Rogue like that... In fact I drive my Rogue like an old man, with people passing me and giving me dirty looks over rough roads**

Also, the ride was (believe it or not) just as smooth as stock, and that was even with polyurethane front bushings, Neuspeed front strut bar, and Acura TL rear sway bar. But I'm sure that is because the struts and spring combo was a Honda product and not aftermarket. And I'm sure that is also partly why everything else about the ride/handling worked so well... I also had an Ingalls rear camber kit to help with tire wear and handling by keeping everything in spec... I will say though, that my Accord was track-worthy with just the 1" drop and other suspension mods I had on it.

Before:

After:

That being said, I've noticed that Nissan's (the Rogue included) in general do not have the most refined suspensions (my Rogue hits bumps pretty hard, and does not keep its composure over rough surfaces as well as my Accord did) to begin with, and IMO messing with a Nissan suspension is a no go... At least for the Rogue... I wouldn't want a rougher ride than I have right now! And as Imstricken said, there are a lot of factors that go into suspension geometry and layout, and just slapping lowering springs onto stock struts will be asking for trouble. First off, the stock struts will wear out incredibly fast, and your suspension will be very harsh over rough surfaces... Aftermarket suspensions are designed to be used universally, so just because it says its for the Rogue does not mean that it was designed for the Rogue, it just means that it will fit on the Rogue. I'm with Imstricken... Keep the Rogue stock ;)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

great points followingnfront!
i commend you on using Honda products, that there were designed for use in that specific car. they took the car's stock geometry and designed a new, lowered, suspension to not create any problems for owners.

people really need to understand that lowering a car, takes the tie-rods, bushings, ball-joints, bearings, etc from "home" position (where the pressure is 50%/50%, and placing everything into a unilateral position where pressures are much greater to one side = thus wearing the parts out faster. put it this way, mother nature designed our head/neck to be straight. if i told you: "its cool now a days to walk around with your head tilted 20DEGREES to the left...... what do you think your vertebrae & cartilage would look like after 2 years?(roughly equal to 30,000miles) it would be worn on one side correct? all the connective tissue (aka tie rods) would be over stressed from holding the weight and supporting an unnatural position.

hahahah new rule = anyone who wants to lower their suspension, walk around like this for a whole day:(and then tell me how your "tie-rods" and "ball joints" feel hahahahha

followingnfront

Lol ^... Great points right back at ya... On an unrelated note, did you get my PM?

rdub2k4

lol. My 2" drop on the Lancer will be done in a couple weeks. Teins S-Techs. Saving up for some Coilovers too. I'm doing everything wrong on the Lancer, huge drop, 18x9.5 wheels, 225/40 tires, oh my!

:P

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:Lol ^... Great points right back at ya... On an unrelated note, did you get my PM?
YES, my bad, totally forgot to read it. (i got it last night as i was falling asleep and said to myself "ill reply tomorrow" lol) let me reply to it. do you mind if i reply in the lights thread, or you want a PM back?

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:
followingnfront wrote:Lol ^... Great points right back at ya... On an unrelated note, did you get my PM?
YES, my bad, totally forgot to read it. (i got it last night as i was falling asleep and said to myself "ill reply tomorrow" lol) let me reply to it. do you mind if i reply in the lights thread, or you want a PM back?
You can reply however you think is best. Its more about how to wire them up than the physical lights themselves... But whatever you like its all good.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i PM'd ya :)

Kojack021
Car: NIssan Rogue S Special Edition

bottom line, dont do it i guess.

followingnfront

Kojack021 wrote:bottom line, dont do it i guess.
There are people who have done it... But it all depends on what you want your Rogue to be. If its your dd, then I say no no because comfort will be thrown out the window... If youre going to autocross it, then sure... But Id recommend getting a different car to autocross with ;-)

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:
Kojack021 wrote:bottom line, dont do it i guess.
There are people who have done it... But it all depends on what you want your Rogue to be. If its your dd, then I say no no because comfort will be thrown out the window... If youre going to autocross it, then sure... But Id recommend getting a different car to autocross with ;-)
damn well said! lol

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Image :lolling:

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:Image :lolling:
Lol... Ive never understood the guys whose cars are so slammed that they scrape on everything... And most of the time they want to go lower! Im all about performance not causing sparks pulling out of a parking spot lol

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

I DONT MIND AN 1" AT MOST - but when they lower so much, SCREW WITH THE CAMBER, and get the rounded tires = it makes me wanna choke the car owner

rdub2k4

lol damn, I guess I won't show my Lancer when it's sitting at -3 degrees natural camber, and a 225/40 tire stretched over a 9.5" wheel. :P

:ohno:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rdub2k4 wrote:lol damn, I guess I won't show my Lancer when it's sitting at -3 degrees natural camber, and a 225/40 tire stretched over a 9.5" wheel. :P

:ohno:
please do, but have a barf bag ready for me. the tire stretching is the equivalence of tire molestation in my eyes.

i swear to god, id pull over every one write 'em: " 39:3-44 VEHICLE IN UNSAFE CONDITION" & " 39:3-72 TIRE IN UNSAFE OPERATING CONDITION $44" &

rdub2k4

That's too much stretch. I have some 18x8.5's in my garage right now I'm shipping to a friend with 225/40's on em. I'll post a pic, it's very sexy.

***edit*** pic

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

rdub2k4 wrote:That's too much stretch. I have some 18x8.5's in my garage right now I'm shipping to a friend with 225/40's on em. I'll post a pic, it's very sexy.
Sexy? Hmmm, not seeing it. Maybe with the proper lighting, some Barry White to set the mood...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rdub2k4 wrote:I have some 18x8.5's in my garage right now I'm shipping to a friend with 225/40's on em. I'll post a pic, it's very sexy.
Rogue One wrote:Sexy? Hmmm, not seeing it. Maybe with the proper lighting, some Barry White to set the mood...
im gonna need more than that. slip me a roofy or two.

rdub2k4

lol I need better pics.

Enkei Raijin's powdercoated Snow Cone White, 18x8.5 +35 on 225/40's

Qashqai

"All in favor of rdub2k4's new avatar, say aye:"

:naughty: ImStricken?

(I shouldn't be the only victim of ImStricken's avatar changes, right :rotfl )

rdub2k4

Qashqai wrote:"All in favor of rdub2k4's new avatar, say aye:"

lol. :rotfl

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rdub2k4

lol that's good man

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

your new avatar actually looks hot. good find sQash!

Qashqai

rdub2k4 wrote:lol that's good man
Better than my Giggity :lolling:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Qashqai wrote:"All in favor of rdub2k4's new avatar, say aye:"

AWESOME !!! (Even is a Mitsubishi)

Return to “Rogue Forum”