Knock Sensor

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Coolguy
Car: Infiniti I30

Could you please tell me where the Knock Senor on the 1996 Infiniti I30 is located? Not adventurous enough to change it myself, but my mechanic is happy to do it if I can tell him where it is.Also, any do's and don'nt when changing the knock sensors?

Thanks

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

if your mechanic doesn't know where it is means he's not a good mechanic...it's on the right side in the valley between the heads, under the intake manifold: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1996/EC.pdf page 189, 191.

D_roc
Car: 2001 Maxima 20th aniv edition

yea if i were you i won't take my car to him any more

DevonD
Car: 96 Nissan Maxima SE

Haha ...If your mechanic knew anything about cars he would know where the knock sensor is...Those kind of shops are the type that will tell you 12 other things are wrong with your car so you pay them to change it, when in reality it needed none of them and if you do have them do it any money says it was done poorly and incorrectly.. Get outta there!!

coolhand
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE

Read this tutorial

zerothread?id=148066

allensteiner

one don't for replacing the ks. if it's over/under torqued it'll read incorrectly and might cause your car to run crappy.

Coolguy

Are you recommending not changing the Knock Senor? If so how would I get the darn Check Engine Light off (:

allensteiner

definately change it if it's faulty. i just wouldn't go with your mechanic...it's pretty simple if you have a ratchet wrench with an extension and a wabble. check the faq section - should have a write up on the replacement.

Coolguy

Just a follow up question, once the Knock Sensor and 02 Sensor is changed, Does the Check Engine light go off automatically or do I have to take it somewhere to reset it? Could someone please tell me how it is done?

Just wanted to thank everyone regarding the info on the Knock Senor. I had taken my car originally to the dealership, and lets say I lost my appetite when they told me what it would cost to fix that as well as the 02 (oxygen sensor), mearly $800.

I know my mechanic has been knocked off quite a bit on this forum, but there is an explanation that might wilify the poor bloke.

I have used this mechanic for several years and he works by the hour. He is very efficient and I actually watch him work, and he does not waste a minute. He does not waste anytime, believe me and he is booked up for atleast a week ahead.

I get the parts at a discount, below retail (yes I have verified it independently) and so he does not mark up the parts. Since he works on various cars (not only Nissan products), I can certainly understand that these sensors can be located in different places. By asking me to verify where it is located it would dirve down his installation time, which I felt was a valid request.

In addition to the knock sensor and the 02 sensor, I have to change the rear shocks and dust boots, the radiator (and often change the fuel pump when I do that), the drive belts, the oil leak valve cover gaskets & plenum gasket and both the lower engine mounts. The car has 155K miles on it and I am routing for 200K miles.

Thanks everyone so much ... Go NICO Club

MaximA32

Coolguy wrote:Are you recommending not changing the Knock Senor? If so how would I get the darn Check Engine Light off (:
You have other issues than just the knock sensor. The knock sensor will not cause the SES light to come on.

As far as resetting the light, disconnect the battery for about 20-30 mins. You should be good.

allensteiner

i wouldn't take my car to the dealership no matter what. there's a bunch of mechanics that'll do a better faster job than most of the young guys that get hired at a dealer to work for a lower wage. remember...after the warranty expires, you are the warranty if you're at least somewhat inclined you could do all of the work you need yourself the only cost being the parts, some scratches on your hands and beer to ease the pain there's write ups for pretty much everything you need done in the faq section here.

Coolguy

Anybody live in Phoenix Arizona that wants to help me .

I will surely provide the beer and pizza.

Thanks so much everyone for your overwhelming support.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”