Possible installation instruction for Knock Sensor for 95-99 Maxima's and I30's

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
coolhand
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE

I have a 95 Max and I replaced the knock sensor in less than 20 mins (time may vary due to mechanical experience). Tools needed: 1. 12mm universal socket (not a regular socket and universal adapter)

2. ratchet extension that are 1 and a half feet long (more or less).

(you may have to move a vacuum control solenoid to gain hand access)

Use this setup to loosen the bolt and you MUST USE THE KNOCK SENSOR TO CARRY THE BOLT OUT!!! To install:

PLUG THE WIRE HARNESS TO THE NEW KNOCK SENSOR FIRST!!!!

1. (Depending on the size of you hand) put the bolt in the new knock sensor and use you hand to guide the setup in the hole(scaring of hand may occur)

2. use the tool setup to torque the bolt.

NOTE:

If the bolt does not move, DO NOT FORCE IT!!!

Make sure the bolt started in the hole correctly, DO NOT FORCE IT!!!

I have been a mechanic on and off for 20 years and I did the knock sensor myself hope this helps.

Coolhand

1995 Maxima SE 5spd

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Always great to get contributions such as this from members (especially from someone so new to the community). Thank you.

I'll get audtatious to add these instructions to the diagnosis and installation info on his website linked in the how-to thread.

coolhand

Your welcome. I will post any tricks, short cuts, and/or tips I find.

dhaney

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507Hey this tells you how to replace the knock sensor without having to remove anything. Its for a 97 but may work. Hopefully it helps. it may save you some time.

coolhand

It does not give you the tools needed and clear steps. The vaccum solenoid is small and minor compared to removing the intake.

esqueue

An update to a 2 year old thread. CA vehicles have extra smog equipment which makes this task a little more difficult.

A extending magnet isn't optional but completely necessary as you can't fit your hand near the sensor. This is for removing and installing the screw. You will also need a coat hanger or something similar to "fish" the sensor from it's hole.

1. Removing the intake from the filter to the throttle body is necessary. This is quite easy. Take your standard head screwdriver and unscrew the strap which connects the rubber to the Throttle body. Unplug the sensor on the filter box. Unlatch the filter box. Remove the 2 large vacuum hoses that go to the resonator. Lift the intake hose and lay it toward the side. There is no need to completely disconnect the other sensors attached to it.

2. There is also a gold solenoid that can be moved by removing it's upper mounting screw and sliding it towards the front of the car. I had no way of accessing the bottom screw but it wasn't necessary. This gives you access to the knock sensor.

Sorry for the vague descriptions as I have no clue what some of the sensors and solenoids are named.
Modified by esqueue at 9:51 PM 4/3/2008

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”