JDM Fuga Aftermarket single din upgrade it IS possible

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Fuguga
Car: 2005 Nissan Fuga 450GT Sport

Hey everyone
This is my first forum post forgive me if I do this wrong.
Anyway recently I purchased a 2005 Nissan Fuga 450GT (Japanese import) As I live in New Zealand.

It is great but, since it is a import the stereo frequency only goes from around 70 mhz to 90 and NZ radio stations are much higher up the scale, around 90 to 110 mhz so I decided to just upgrade the head unit to an nz model. As band expanders are useless in my opinion. so this is the result:

I did this by simply buying adapter looms for the car and extending the car side out to reach my glove box like so:

Heres the part numbers I used for NZ forum users. They may be the same for the US but I cant guarantee they are

Car Loom: Raptor WH573 this is the adapter for late model nissans 2007 on
Headunit loom: Raptor WHJV3 (this could vary depending on what brand of Headunit You use)
I also had to use a Aerial adaptor lead to convert it from a Nissan Ariel to standard. Which is a NI12
Oh and I used a Aerial extension cable 1.2M long

The Headunit is a JVC KDX320BT Bluetooth unit

Fitting The unit Was actually really easy, as JDM models come with a digital TV box Installed, all I had to do was remove it (as it is useless in NZ anyway) and the opening is single din sized so the Head unit just slid straight in. Piece of piss :dblthumb:

Dash Dis-assembly

Easy enough, it just comes apart as usual. You will have to take apart the centre console to remove the old stereo and get access to the OEM stereo loom but it is only a matter of plugging the new loom into it. Heres the link on the stereo removal which I used on this forum
howto-remove-radio-and-install-grom-usb ... 99297.html
thanks Ilya It was very helpful.

you Also will have to take apart the glove box to gain access to the TV tuner
howto-disassemble-passenger-front-dash- ... 02456.html
Also super helpful.

One more thing is that you will also need a power source for the OEM aerial amplifier but you can get this by running the power Aerial connection in the head unit to the Aerial adapter loom which the adapter comes with

http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima ... Ni12-F.jpg
The blue wire

So there we have it a head unit upgrade without cutting a hole in the dash that is also completely reversible if you want.
I hope this is helpful to someone. The Fuga owners in particular will know the struggle because I wasn't able to find any info on doing this, I thought this would be the easiest way to spread the knowledge. Let me know if you got any questions.

JoshTex
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Kia Ora Mate!! Nice to see more Kiwi's with Fuga's on this forum. That mod is FLIPP'N BRILLIANT!! Thanks for posting the how to. I'm sure it will catch on here in the States.
If you have Facebook, check out the "Infiniti M35 M45 M37 M56 Fuga Enthusiasts" page. There is a lot more activity on that page.
Have fun with the mods. Cheers

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

JoshTex wrote:Kia Ora Mate!! Nice to see more Kiwi's with Fuga's on this forum. That mod is FLIPP'N BRILLIANT!! Thanks for posting the how to. I'm sure it will catch on here in the States.
If you have Facebook, check out the "Infiniti M35 M45 M37 M56 Fuga Enthusiasts" page. There is a lot more activity on that page.
Have fun with the mods. Cheers
We're trying to steer members here, not the other way around :gapteeth:. FB is TERRIBLE for historical/archival of information...forums are much better for that.

Fuguga, welcome to the site. With a first contribution like that, I look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeves :). Thanks for sharing!

So, can you control the radio via the OEM console by the shifter or do you need to reach over and control everything from the JVC and drive around with your glovebox open? Hah.

I've added this thread to the FAQ. Thanks again for your contribution to the community.

JoshTex

Ilya,

I understand your reasoning. However, BOTH can work to help with exposure and assistance. Im not sure if you are a part of the very few Y34, 50, 51 pages on FB but, there are some great people on them. Also, when there have been technical questions by members, 99% of the time the answer comes from a Nico member OR there is a Nico link posted to help with problem resolution. The more people on those FB pages that find out about Nico, the better it is for the forum.

PS. I see you upgraded from that 250. How's that ZX-6 treating you?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

JoshTex wrote:Ilya,

I understand your reasoning. However, BOTH can work to help with exposure and assistance. Im not sure if you are a part of the very few Y34, 50, 51 pages on FB but, there are some great people on them. Also, when there have been technical questions by members, 99% of the time the answer comes from a Nico member OR there is a Nico link posted to help with problem resolution. The more people on those FB pages that find out about Nico, the better it is for the forum.

PS. I see you upgraded from that 250. How's that ZX-6 treating you?
I know, just busting your chops. I'm on the FB M/Fuga group. There is definitely a purpose for both...FB is more instant and people can login to it far easier, I get that. I'm on it all day lol.

I had a 300 (* - nothing like a 250 :P )...the 636 is great. Love it. Miss the 300 sometimes cause it was so fun.

Fuguga

Cool thanks guys I will check the fb page

Im glad it was actually noticed I spent I good amount of time getting the post and the headunit working properly lol
So, can you control the radio via the OEM console by the shifter or do you need to reach over and control everything from the JVC and drive around with your glovebox open? Hah.
That would be nice if you could. it may be possible but thats a little more complicated haha but there might also be someway to get the steering controls working though with one of the adaptors you can buy. might try it later and post my findings but at the moment I dont mind opening the glove box because I dont normally adjust the radio while driving and I stream my music collection via bluetooth so it is bearable lol

The next project is putting the megan racing axle back mufflers on this weekend :dblthumb:
Cheers

JoshTex

Good on ya mate!! Love that Kiwi Ingenuity!!

moosh2007
Car: 05 Nissan fuga

just found this and fuguga you must be the man!!
looking at doing this but I couldn't handle reaching over for volume control. anyone know if a remote will work threw the glovebox?? plenty of car remotes don't need a direct angle, but am assuming a shut glovebox may be a different situation. im looking at doing this with a pioneer, and cannot find info on wether the remote is i.r or radio wave.

Fuguga

moosh2007 wrote:just found this and fuguga you must be the man!!
looking at doing this but I couldn't handle reaching over for volume control. anyone know if a remote will work threw the glovebox?? plenty of car remotes don't need a direct angle, but am assuming a shut glovebox may be a different situation. im looking at doing this with a pioneer, and cannot find info on wether the remote is i.r or radio wave.
Yeah you do need the glove box open to use the remote that's the only down side. But I think there is aftermarket wheel control adaptors that could work instead if it's too much of a problem. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it's possible

biglo
Car: Nissan Fuga 250GT

Fuguga wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm
moosh2007 wrote:just found this and fuguga you must be the man!!
Yeah you do need the glove box open to use the remote that's the only down side. But I think there is aftermarket wheel control adaptors that could work instead if it's too much of a problem. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it's possible
I know the question is wayyyy to late but I want to perform this mod on my fuga but I have a question. Did you leaving everything else unplugged from the the stock cd player after you connected the harness to the aftermarket stereo?

cjstringer920
Car: '09 M35x

instead of keepig the glove box open for remotes did anyone consider IR repeaters? I use them all ove rthe house for my AV systems that are in other rooms or dedicated closets to keep them out of sight. Work amazingly well.

Mazdarotary
Car: 2004 Nissan Fuga 350gt
1985 Mazda 323

Ive got the radio all wired up and working but no sound ive got the 14 speaker system

Fuguga

biglo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:17 pm
Fuguga wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm

I know the question is wayyyy to late but I want to perform this mod on my fuga but I have a question. Did you leaving everything else unplugged from the the stock cd player after you connected the harness to the aftermarket stereo?
Oh I forgot I posted this haha
I only had 1 plug in the back of the stereo when I did it so I only unplugged that one and attached the adapter harness to it. its just the standard Nissan stereo plug for 2007 onwards

Fuguga

Mazdarotary wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 pm
Ive got the radio all wired up and working but no sound ive got the 14 speaker system
My car only has 4 speakers and no amplifiers so that could be the difference

biglo

Fuguga wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm
biglo wrote:

I only had 1 plug in the back of the stereo when I did it so I only unplugged that one and attached the adapter harness to it. its just the standard Nissan stereo plug for 2007 onwards
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to do a teardown on mines today to see how everything looks. Will update you guys. Also, I think my TV tuner is actually under the passenger seat in my car.

biglo

Fuguga wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm
biglo wrote:

I have a question for you, where did you get the wires to extend the wiring harness to your glove box?

borshtovik
Car: ???

Probs sounds like a dumb question, but did doing this mod affect the reversing camera, side cam, etc. functionality of the nav unit?
Or does it only interfere with the radio part of the car.

Fuguga

borshtovik wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:53 am
Probs sounds like a dumb question, but did doing this mod affect the reversing camera, side cam, etc. functionality of the nav unit?
No it doesn't the cameras go through the nav screen. It only replaces the radio

borshtovik
Car: ???

Fuguga wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:58 am
borshtovik wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:53 am
No it doesn't the cameras go through the nav screen. It only replaces the radio
Sweet as, thanks for the clarification, just got a hold of an '06 Fuga and the radio is kinda funky(makes a constant pop-pop noise) so I was wanting to replace the unit so this should help out a tonne

Cheers

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”