iPod Support?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
robaustin

Hi folks...

Considering a Rogue, and while it's not a dealbreaker, can someone give me detail on the radio support for MP3 players -specifically if it has iPod support. The brochure actually shows an iPod in more than one place, and even has an iPod Clickwheel in one photo. I'm curious if it is just an aux-in jack, if it is in the glove compartment, or how the support works. Is it generic aux-in - or does it actually have an iPod dock connector, whereby you can then control the iPod from the stock head unit?

Like I said, not a dealbreaker by any means, but I'm curious. I use the iPod in my '01 Sentra right now with an iTrip anyway....

--*Rob

tedp
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD

It's a generic aux-in jack right on the head unit.

There's a good picture here: http://www.nissanusa.com/rogue/photos.html Click on "Interior Photos" tab, and look at the second to last photo. (This is a picture of the Bose system from the premium package.)

robaustin

Aha...

Was wondering because the brochure clearly shows the iPod in the glove box in one of those little compartments, and my friend who has a Mini does just that - plugs it into the Dock connector in the glove box.

Ah well. Actually, I wouldn't mind the aux-in, but I'd have to find a new way to mount the iPod, as the cup holder stand I have would not be feasible as it is not in direct driver's view (unlike my Sentra, where it sits just under the DIN pocket).

--*Rob

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

If you find a good mounting solution, preferably one that doesn't involve adhesive, or anything else potentially damaging to the Rogue's interior, I'd like to know.

I've been looking ever since I got my Rogue last week and I haven't really been able to find anything good. My old car (a 2003 Civic, so the rogue was quite a step up ) had cupholders where the shift lever on the rogue is which worked out fairly nice as far as mounting it goes.

vox
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

There's a link at this thread to the Nissan accessories site where they have kits for more functional connectors. Nothing for the Rogue yet but maybe later. If anyone has installed an aftermarket stereo and wouldn't mind sharing a snapshot of the factory system rear connectors that would be very helpful.

zerothread/292243

http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/accessories.html

thenate1

I used http://www.proclipusa.com for a sweet mount for my wife's CRV and a Garmin 360 GPS....They also make combo mounts that will do 2 items at once also. I emailed them when the Rogue came out to see when they would be getting a mount for it made up and below is the response I got:

===============================Nathan: Thank you for your interest in our ProClip holders. Due to the large number of new products we are developing, we cannot give a specific date as to when this will be available. It should be available by November 2007, but we are attempting to expedite this holder for earlier availability. You will be notified by e-mail as soon as the Holder has been received at our warehouse and is ready for online ordering. Best Regards, ProClip USA Customer ServiceToll free: +1 800-296-3212Fax: +1 608-838-8949Email: [email protected]: http://www.proclipusa.com ================================

As of the time of this post, they still don't have a mount for the Rogue yet. I know it seems like a lot of money for a clip, but I can tell you that they are solid and feel like a factory part of your car once installed. I love their stuff. Hope this helps!

Nate

thenate1

Derango
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package

Just wanted to update thenate's post. I just e-mailed proclips about a mount and they said they expect it by December 2007 now.

robaustin

This is the best suction cup window mount I have found, and I've considered it to get my iPod up higher in my Sentra.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensingt...PIX3E

It probably vibrates a bit, but I would gues if you let it rest on the top of the dash it would do pretty well.

--*Rob

websfear
Car: 2008 Rogue SL Venom Red

Also check - http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/indash/index.html

Modified by websfear at 3:56 AM 11/16/2007
Modified by websfear at 3:57 AM 11/16/2007

mamito00
Car: Rogue SL AWD

I am also interested in this topic. I have a question, does anyone possess a picture/photo of the back of the Bose system? i am trying to obtain an Ipod interface which is controlled by the Bose system.

vox

Haven't seen a response to this. No one has taken a peek at the back of the Bose yet? I'm interested to see what they've given us for connections.

MadMontie1
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in Gotham Gray

Does anyone have this Proclip setup for their iPod? I'm thinking about getting it and I'm having a hard time figuring out which iPod holder I should be buying.

I use a generic charging cable and obviously want to be able to charge my iPod Classic 80gb while mounted.

Should I just use the standard mount #840761, or one of the ones with the 'integrated' cable mount like #840651 or #840687

ebonky
Car: 2001 Sentra SE

Hi All, It's been a while since anyone posted on this thread. Has anyone found any new clever ways to hook up your iPod (or other MP3 player) in the Rogue? I'm planning on buying a Rogue soon and I still haven't seen any good solutions.

philipa_240sx

This might be useful to some of you:

A member in the Altima forums has gotten the Nissan iPod interface to work with his 2008 Altima (BOSE 6CD with Sat radio).

http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread/324304

Nissan lists the iPod interface as an option for the 2008 Altima:

http://www.nissanusa.com/altima/accessories.html

The interface gives you full control of the iPod via the factory stereo and steering wheel controls. The interface connects to the existing SAT radio connector on the rear of the BOSE headunit. The iPod connector is then placed in convenient location, ie glovebox or centre console.

There are 2 versions:

SAT radio installed - Keeps the existing SAT radio. A special harness is connected between the SAT radio and the BOSE head unit to allow switching between the iPod and SAT radio.

w/o SAT radio - For vehicles that either do not have SAT radio or for those that no longer wish to use thier SAT radio.

Here is the good news for Rogue owners:

The Altima BOSE system is nearly identical in appearance to the one in the Rogue. If you have the BOSE system, you should have the SAT radio connector. The iPod interface 'should' work on the Rogue. Anyone care to order the parts and try?

Altima BOSE system:

There are 2 sources for the iPod interface, your Nissan dealer or http://www.nissanipod.com/

The kit for the 2008 Altima is the one you should try. Cost is about $200 USD.

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

As a side note...If you want to just burn some CD's full of music files, it will play MP3's...but it won't recognize or play Apple's AAC format. You'd need to import files in the literal MP3 format for them to work.

PubliusTX
Car: Nissan Rogue SL fwd (Silver Ice)

As a brand new Rogue owner with the stock (non-Bose) sound system, I've been poking around a bit for iPod support as well.

This looks like an interesting approach:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...UK2HO/

Anybody have any experience with this sort of unit?

mcleans16
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I just got my Rogue 3 days ago and I thought this looked like the best option. Haven't had a chance to get it yet, but it seems like it would work well. The reviews on Apple.com gave it pretty good ratings too.

philipa_240sx

The remote is a nice idea. The mount however will be a PITA. I have already tried another lighter socket mounted arm: Griffin Tuneflex Aux. The lighter socket twists slightly (10deg?) so the mount sways like a tree in a breeze. Worse still, it places the iPod directly in front of the HVAC controls effectively blocking them. I hated it after 5 min of use and returned it immediately.

EddNog

PubliusTX wrote:As a brand new Rogue owner with the stock (non-Bose) sound system, I've been poking around a bit for iPod support as well.

This looks like an interesting approach:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...UK2HO/

Anybody have any experience with this sort of unit?
I use this and absolutely love it! I also had one with a bendable docking arm prior to this for my Nano and hated how it blocked the HVAC controls; when I got my iPhone 3G, I found that the one I was using wasn't compatibilty with iPhone 3G so I got this, hearing that it is compatible, and took the opportunity to get away from the damn dock arm.

I could swear I posted about it before! It must've been a different thread (likely one about iPhones or iPhone 3Gs).

-Ed

takeshi

philipa_240sx wrote:Here is the good news for Rogue owners:

The Altima BOSE system is nearly identical in appearance to the one in the Rogue. If you have the BOSE system, you should have the SAT radio connector. The iPod interface 'should' work on the Rogue. Anyone care to order the parts and try?
Just did and I'm happy to say that it works! Installed the iPod interface for the 2008 Altima in a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD with the Bose system and satellite radio.

For the same setup you'll need:

999U7-ST002 iPod interface999U7-VT000 iPod harness I (required for all installs)999U7-VT001 iPod harness J (required for satellite radio)

The controls are a bit awkward but not a big deal once you get used to them. You can't use the SAT radio when an iPod is connected. The UP and DOWN button on the steering wheel have to be held until the system beeps or else you'll switch radio presets.

FWIW Peripheral Electronics also appears to have an interface that will work with the Rogue's factory radio.

Jimothy12
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

How much did the Altima option cost
Modified by Jimothy12 at 5:15 PM 2/23/2009

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

I am also very interested in pricing for the Altima iPod interface and harnesses. Please let me know. Also, how much work is it to get back behind the radio to connect the cable(s) up?

Thanks!

jmbones

Interested in this as well for the wifey... An install writeup would be nice on how hard it is to get the head unit out etc..
Modified by jmbones at 9:46 AM 2/24/2009

takeshi

~$160 999U7-ST002 iPod interface~$30 999U7-VT000 iPod harness I (required for all installs)~$30 999U7-VT001 iPod harness J (required for satellite radio)

~$240 shipped from Lee Auto. $210 if you don't have factory satellite radio. There are definitely other Nissan parts & accessories dealers, including sponsors to the right, that you could also check with. I think Peripheral's interface is less expensive.

These instructions are actually for a Panavise mount (mentioned above and I'd also highly recommend it) that is secured to the right side of the radio. However, you'd basically follow steps 1 & 2 and then remove the other 2 screws holding the radio in. There are a couple of photos in the Panavise instructions that can give you a rough idea of what's involved.http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/751311508.pdf

It's basically:

1. Remove the bezel at the base of the shifter with a dash tool (get one if you don't already have one).2. Pop the upper and lower clips holding the climate control module with your dash tool. Either move it out of the way or disconnect the wiring harnesses and place it elsewhere.3. Pop the two lower clips holding the air vent assembly. Move a bit up and pop the next pair of clips. There's a third set even further up. The assembly slides out and forward.4. Remove the 4 screws holding the radio module. 2 on top. 2 under (1 hidden by some thin foam stuff).

Figuring out the wiring is the next part. Take a look at:

If that doesn't intimidate you then go for it. Like I said, you don't get much in the way of instructions. The Nissan techs are expected to pull up instructions on their own.

You'll need to find a spot to mount the module. There's a lot of unused room under the radio. I'm not specifically recommending this location nor do I know if it's even a good idea. Caveat emptor. The interface comes with a square of double sided foam tape.

Don't forget to ground to the chassis at a suitable point.

I didn't really use any of the adhesive foam strips or very many of the zip ties included.

Definitely perform a quick test before you put everything together.

The airbag warning light will probably flash after you get everything reassembled. Search around NICOclub.com and you'll find instructions on clearing it.

Note that neither this nor the Peripheral interface will charge the iPhone 3G, iPod nano (4th Generation) or the iPod touch (2nd Generation). You'll need a charging adapter like the Scosche passPORT.http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1667
Modified by takeshi at 4:43 PM 2/24/2009

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

takeshi, thanks for the information. This is very helpful and informative.

A couple of questions...

I've read that the factory XM SAT radio doesn't work if an iPod is connected to the Nissan iPod interface. Is that just the iPod itself or does that mean the iPod interface module? I would like the ability to switch between XM and the iPod from time to time but it is confusing as to whether or not this is possible.

Does the interface work like it does in the video here for the 07 Altima?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MamsMpWH_3o

Just for a comparison, here is Peripheral's iPod/HD Radio/AUX adapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_4M6cgHI5Q

So from the videos above, it seems that both interfaces (Nissan and Peripheral's) emulate being a SAT Radio tuner. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing and it keeps the iPod hidden from theifs eyes in the glove box.

Thanks again for the helpful information you've provided.

philipa_240sx

The Peripheral Electronics interface:

http://peripheralelectronics.c...276#8

It allows you to select from multiple inputs via the radio:

iPod, Aux Input, HD Radio Tuner, and Nissan (factory) SAT radio

But I think they need to check their spelling... Nissan does not make a model called the Rouge

Anyways, it's great that someone has actually installed and tested the Nissan iPod interface.

EddNog

Whew!

Okay, everyone...I went ahead and took the plunge--ordered the following items today:

Description Unit price Qty AmountNissan Rogue 07-09 iPod iPhone Nano Touch Car Installation Kit Adapter (PXAMG) (PGHNI2)Peripheral HDRT HD Radio Add-on Tuner for PXAMGPeripheral PODCBLBM5V Allows PXAMG to Charge ALL New iPods Including iPhone 3G 2G Touch

I got basic ground shipping so I don't know when it will come in, and I will be doing all my homework, reading up on the technical service manual, making sure I have all the necessary tools and materials, and set aside some time etc. before I actually go to do this, so I may not have any updates on this for a few weeks, but I'd like to have all this set up and working before the end of March so I can talk about how well it works out. My main thing is to be able to minimize clutter in my car, and right now having the little remote velcro'd to my steering wheel and and then a cable running into my dashboard's line-in is all sort of annoying to me. Plus, I get the added benefit of HD Radio, which the car did not come with.

I wonder if this kit lets me keep my XM Radio service functioning? I don't really listen to it much, so it won't kill me if it does, and I can save some money by cancelling my XM service (which I've been too lazy to do), but if it does allow me to keep it, it would be kind of nice.

-Ed

Sanders630
Car: 2009 Rougue SL AWD
Iridium Graphite

I believe after looking at the peripheral demo video he did say it will retain sat option unlike the Nissan OEM adapter

EddNog

Hmm...not too shabby. It's pretty nice if I have 6-disc MP3/CD changer, XM satellite radio, HD radio, AM/FM radio and iPod integration. The only thing I'd be missing is DVD/movie playback (since I already have a separate stand alone navigation unit).

-Ed

Return to “Rogue Forum”