Infiniti M56s Spark Plug D.I.Y PICS!

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
andre1038
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t (Sold)
1990 Nissan 300zx (RB Project)
1994 300zx Twin turbo (500hp Daily)
2012 M56s
1998 Infiniti Q45 black on black (Sold)
1996 Infiniti G20
1992 Infiniti Q45 (R.I.P)

Spark Plug D.I.Y for Infiniti M56s with Pics* (Bare with me uploading the pics and stuff since i took so many and sorting through the best ones) so since i dont want to write this all over again im gonna keep updating it until its complete :) So i will keep adding until its officailly done :biggrin:

Mileage of Vehicle this is being done 98,282

Reason for changing plugs is mainly due to preventive maintenance since the car is really only about 2 to 3 yrs old but has alot mileage (been a good car so far no leaks or nothing)

According to labor software it pays 1.7 hrs for a local shop to do this. Since today was Sunday and i don't really work on my Customer cars Sundays i did Decided to do the plugs on my own father's Infiniti.

I say give yourself around 2 hours to do this right and properly (once vehicle is cooled down before you start) and work on one bank at a time so if you start on the left bank finish the left bank before moving onto the right bank, same vice versa (minimizes mistakes)

This write up will use simple tools nothing too fancy since i kinda handicapped myself and used normal tools that anyone can either buy or already have.

After doing this job i would say its not too hard at all just takes time but the rear cylinders on each bank were the hardest and most annoying, i had to get creative with the extensions. I will show which extension combo i used for each cylinder so it makes it easy for you guys, If you got more fancy tools to make the job easy go for it! (i could of done that too but the point of the DIY is so anyone can do it so i did it with the most basic tools minus the cordless ratchet i was using but you can use a regular ratchet i was just making it easier for myself lol)

Tools Needed

{*** i will list the tools for the most part towards the end of the write up stay tuned :)***}

Parts Needed
OEM plugs from Infiniti or get them at your local autoparts store but make sure they are NGK Laser Iridium remember no need to gap the plugs either and DONT USE ANTI SEIZE on the threads NGK has a bullentin on their website to not use anti seize on their plugs. Both OEM and these NGK i got from the local auto parts store are the same.. and cheaper since my local infiniti wanted 35 bucks a plug i was like ouch vs the autoparts store being 20 bucks each

2 boxes of these :)

here is the original plugs that came out the M so you can see the ones i got from the local autoparts store are the same as the original ones
Step 1
Pop open hood once car is cooled Image

Step 2
Remove the Center Cover (the one with the Infiniti logo)
-This requires to take off the two 10mm bolts on top and pull the cover off (yes it will feel like the cover is stuck if you never have removed it before, just pull it off with some persuasion. Next put some lube, like some sort of grease i used lithium grease, on the pins [These pins are what hold the cover in the front] and also lube where the pins go into so its easier to remove in the future

Cover off

Lube up these pins so its easier in the future

This is where the pins go into (also put some lube there too) light coats nothing crazy

Step 3
Take off the intake tubes off (Very easy)
You will need a 8mm socket (preferably 1/4 ratchet) and loosen the clamps then once you loosen the clamps on the throttle body side and MAF side on both banks you grab your pliers and squeeze the clamps that hold the PCV hose/tube and pull it back to the tube comes out the intake tube.

The PCV hose/tube im talking about each side has one but only took a pic of the left side so you get the idea :)

Intake tubing removed (COVER MAFS! dont want foreign material inside intake tract)

MAF's covered with clean towels :)

Step 4 Now it begins (i started with the right bank so i believe i started with Cylinder number 1 bank i.e Driver side), Also when removing the coil packs take them all out and leave them outside the car until all spark plugs have been change then reinstall them from back to the front, it will make it easier on you to have space

(^this is showing you what tool u pretty much need to loosen all the coils, a 10mm socket 1/4 ratchet the fronts are pretty self explanatory but decided to take a picture of cylinder number 7, which is the last one on the right bank since its a tight fit in there)

Cylinder #1 (Very Easy)

i used the longest extension in my arsenal since the front one is very accessable so with a 14mm socket (you can use a regular 14mm socket or a spark plug socket same size) i was able to break loose the plug.
Note if the plugs were never changed it will require a little strength to loosen them since they have they been there since the factory lol

Once you have spark plug loose all the way depending if you are using an actual spark plug 14mm or just a plain 14mm socket

If using a spark plug socket the rubber will hold it and pull the plug out with it
If using a regular 14mm socket like i was use a magnet (The magnet will be your best friend when doing the back plugs nearer the firewall trust me)

Cylinder #3 (second one from the front on right bank) Also pretty Easy to remove

Process is the same as Cylinder 1 just becareful of AC line if using a long extension

As you can tell im taking the coils off in order the more i go down the line u can do it that way or remove them all at once up to you

Magnet doing work lol

Cylinder #5 (A little Tricky)

^Some might say why the swivel portion well i know swivels rob some power when removing stuff but this is why i used it so i can have the extension clear the tab from blocking

Then i used my long extension and my long 3/8 ratchet that has leverage

Cylinder #7 and 8
are pretty much the same (Both are a bit of a pain) So yea not easy but not super hard, probably the hardest part of the whole job was these two. i only took pics on doing number 8 (passenger bank but it will apply to both) Remember when i told you to leave all the coils out until ur Done installing the new plugs well this is where it comes into play.

Extension combo i used on number 8

^I used the bigger Ratchet to break it loose but then switched to the mini to make it easier on ratcheting in a small area

(Side note) when removing the coil on number eight you will need to use a 10mm wrench to loosen the bolt since there is a metal line in the way Image

Cylinder # 2 (very front on passenger bank) Very Easy and straightforward

Cylinder#4 (Easy once you route the extension under the harness and remove the tiny bracket)

^the little bracket

Cylinder #6 (A little tricky pretty much like number 5 was)
Used same set up as number 5 Image

NOTES for installing new plugs
-At this point you should of already got the hang of it and knew pretty much what your doing. When installing the new plugs you pretty much drop them into the little chamber (the chamber is narrow) and once u put your socket in the spark plug chamber it will center the plug, so then turn the extension by hand (to avoid cross threading) and the plug should start threading and once it gets hard to turn whip out your ratchet and torque them down snug

Put back everything in reverse order and bam Job well done

Give yourself a pat in the back by saying to yourself u saved some money :)

The M56s with my 500hp Z32 soon to be 700whp Z32 little by little on that one hahaha

andre1038
2012 M56s
1996 Infiniti G20

This is the most i can do as of right now it seems i have been locked out on editing the post anymore i wonder why, well i'll be doing more stuff to the M soon since its getting at that mileage where i think its ready for modifications :)

Any Admin can let me know why i was locked out, for the most part the Post is almost done but wanted to go through it and made sure i posted everything i can.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Very nice DIY. :dblthumb: Thanks for taking the time to document it.
andre1038 wrote:Any Admin can let me know why i was locked out, for the most part the Post is almost done but wanted to go through it and made sure i posted everything i can.
I asked this before and the response I got was " ...you're only allowed to edit your last post..once you've posted again, you're no longer allowed to edit your previous post(s)."

Definitely different then most forums.

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Let me ask an admin. I can edit indefinitely so if it turns out you cannot I'm more than happy to help get this post finished. It's a great write up and I want to add it to the sticky'd how-to thread. Very thorough and great pictures.

andre1038
2012 M56s
1996 Infiniti G20

Thanks guys :) let me know lol i didnt know there was a restriction on how many time you can edit the reason i kept editing was because i was afraid of my PC in freezing before the whole post was done. lol I wasn't sure if NICO does what microsoft word does and auto saves lol

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

It doesn't auto save, but we'll help you out where needed.

Good work on the DIY.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Man good thing I searched for this and saw it...almost paid the dealer $350 (even with some labor savings due to them doing the timing chain at the same time) to do this. Going to order the plugs and do this myself.

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Very detailed DIY, Thanks!

mutant 9
Car: 2009 FX50, 2011 M56s, 2013 M37xS

Nice DIY. Getting ready to do this on my fx50. Any know best plaCe to get plugs from?

M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

Nice write up!
Just one extra tip. If you have compressed air, before removing the plug, give it a shot of air to blow out any dirt/debris that may be sitting at the base of the plug. And in case anyone is wondering, you should not put anything (like anti-seize) on the spark plug threads. I like to wipe a little dielectric grease on the inside of the plug boot too.

Ilya

mutant 9 wrote:Nice DIY. Getting ready to do this on my fx50. Any know best plaCe to get plugs from?
Amazon is probably your cheapest source for basic maintenance parts like this that are not explicitly M specific.

Ilya

Crap...went to view this DIY because I'm changing my plugs today and the OP used PhotoSuckit. Ugh. lol.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Why oh why don't people use tiny pic for pictures? I have NEVER had a picture go titz-up using tiny pic and you don't have to join or register for anything.

Ilya

OP, any chance you can upload these pictures again? Or send them to me via email so we can host them on the NICO server?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”