Illuminating Kick plates

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Asian
Car: 2012 Black Nissan Rogue Special Edition

Does anyone else have these? I had my cousin help me install them yesterday and they are pretty nice...

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

so why not include some pics, details, etc?

Asian

Sorry I am new the the forum and don't know how to post pictures... Can you help me out and I can post one...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Asian wrote:Sorry I am new the the forum and don't know how to post pictures... Can you help me out and I can post one...
sure, welcome to the forum by the way! :)

how-to-post-pictures-using-photobucket-t521110.html

Asian

Thanks...

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Nice! How much and where did you get them? How long did it take to install them? Any issues?

Welcome btw

Asian

I paid $142.52. They were on sale from $148 to $133.20 so add tax and it was $142.52. I had seen them also on Ebay for $138 with shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-Nissa ... a5&vxp=mtr
So for a few more $$$ I just went to a local dealership. I actually didn't end up going to the dealership that I bought my car because they weren't in stock. So it would have taken longer to get them. It didn't take very long at all to install. My cousin did most of the work. I'd say less than an hour. No issues. The only problem I had is when I got home with the box, there weren't any instructions. So that was a problem. But as posted in another thread, http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ had the instructions I needed.

darylzero

Cool. yeah I have thought about getting the kick plates, but not the illuminated ones as they cost a bit much. The regular kick plates at $77 are a bit much also, I would get them if they were like $50.
So is your cousin a mechanic or something

Asian

He is just good at taking things apart and what not. If you have the dealer do it it's a lot more money to have them install. So if you know how to follow instructions it's really not all that difficult. I looked at just getting the regular kick plates, but I figured why not spend a little bit more and get the really cool ones...

2SSick
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
**2010 Camaro 2SS** SOLD! :*(
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

mine came with these stock i was wondering if it would be possible to take them off and change the bulb color...i was thinking of going green or purple to be a little different.

did you by any chance see the bulb?

Asian

That's cool that your Rogue came w/them. Sorry I didn't really look at the bulb. Green or purple would definitely rock...

2SSick
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
**2010 Camaro 2SS** SOLD! :*(
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

im going to look into this...i was looking around the web last night looking into putting leds in my ac vents lol

Asian

Sweet let me know what you find...

darylzero

I went ahead and got the illuminated kick plates and have to say I'm glad I did, it is pretty sweet.

Really wasn't too hard to install, took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The directions really walk you through everything.

So here is the beginning by taking off the body molding.

Next you take off the molding to the left of the brake pedal. It has one screw you take off and then pull toward the brake as there is one snap at the bottom. Everything seems to just snap on and off in the car.

Next you take off the molding on the side of the console, if you have changed your in cabin filter you know how this works. Just pull toward the door and it unsnaps. The top left circle is where your in cabin air filter is located. The other red circle is where you will be routing the kick plate wire.

Next go over to the passenger side and start removing the glove box. There are seven screws don't forget the two at the top of the glove box.

Glove box removed.

I didn't get a pic of the BCM unit before I unscrewed it but it is just held in place by 4 Phillips screws. Here it is twisted and turned so that you can work on it.

Here is the tap attached to the first one, the dark green wire. You will be given 3 taps with the kick plates.

Here is all 3 wires tapped. Oh yeah they tell you to unplug the negative wire on the battery prior to installation.

After the wires are tapped you will run the cable down the side of the passenger side and zip tie it along the right edge. Here is the wire on the floor after being tapped and tied along the side of the car. The wire is laying on the floor with the carpet pulled off.

Here is the other end of the cable after routing it on the floor under the carpet through the center console.

Now I hooked the battery back up to make sure it all worked before I buttoned everything up and all was good. I thought they would have the wire from the kick plate go though a hole in the body of the car, but you actually have the 2 small wires go over the metal lip where the rubber seal goes. So the rubber seal just gets put right on top of the wires.
You will not feel the wire under the carpet, they also give you some foam tape to hold the wire down under the carpet.

The only problem I ran into was getting the screws back in the glove box one of them just did not want to go back in :mad:

Lights!

tdhk
Car: '11 Rogue S awd K51 stock

Looks good. Thanks for the tut! I was planning on illuminating my footwells as well as the rear w/ LED strips. Would I be able to just tap the wires used by the kickPlate at the bcm? I also wanted to run a 3way switch (spdt?) so that I can manually have them on at will as well. Possible ?

Papa_J_Smash
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Those look better than any online store can make them look! I asked about this in another thread and this is perfect. Extra credit for also including the piece about the in cabin filter. I'm sure I would have had that question down the road. Thanks darylzero for the play by play.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I can handle just about anything if I prepare for it. Does not look to be too difficult, but I HATE interior molding and clips. I had issues on a previous vehicle where the clips the kept snapping. Any danger of that happening here? Or are the clips more durable?

Leo2005

You should've continue running lights by installing led stripes under the dash to light up feet. I had plans to install to stripes: one as soon as you turn on the lights but you can dim it with dash control if you need to (that one could be connected to the light in glove box) and the other stripe could be connected to the door switch as soon as you open the door it lights up.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i merged the topics with a prior thread just like this one to keep things better organized. Big thanks to darylzero for a great write-up. :dblthumb: and your write-up will be used by a new member here:
post6389575.html#p6389575

thanks again man. its great to see members like yourself contributing to the community.

darylzero

Papa_J_Smash wrote:Those look better than any online store can make them look! I asked about this in another thread and this is perfect. Extra credit for also including the piece about the in cabin filter. I'm sure I would have had that question down the road. Thanks darylzero for the play by play.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I can handle just about anything if I prepare for it. Does not look to be too difficult, but I HATE interior molding and clips. I had issues on a previous vehicle where the clips the kept snapping. Any danger of that happening here? Or are the clips more durable?
My pleasure Papa. I'm not a mechanic by any means either, just about everything I have learned is from this forum, so any chance I can give back...

I think there is always the danger of clips snapping/breaking, I would say slow and steady wins the race when pulling these off. Honestly though I don't think you will have any troubles.

darylzero

tdhk wrote:Looks good. Thanks for the tut! I was planning on illuminating my footwells as well as the rear w/ LED strips. Would I be able to just tap the wires used by the kickPlate at the bcm? I also wanted to run a 3way switch (spdt?) so that I can manually have them on at will as well. Possible ?
I can't help you there, I don't know know what kind of voltage the kick plates pull. Doing something like that is wayyyy to advanced for me.
I'm actually kind of surprised nissan didn't design the BCM with an extra 2 or 3 pins so you could just plug the kick plates wire into it, just seems that if they knew this was an option to have installed at the factory they would of designed for it :gotme

Asian

darylero looks great. I never thought of play by play when I did mine. Glad to hear you are happy w/yours as well...

celt
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SV

Thanks for the pics and install overview, I'm thinking about these also.
darylzero wrote:I went ahead and got the illuminated kick plates and have to say I'm glad I did, it is pretty sweet.

Really wasn't too hard to install, took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The directions really walk you through everything.

So here is the beginning by taking off the body molding.

Next you take off the molding to the left of the brake pedal. It has one screw you take off and then pull toward the brake as there is one snap at the bottom. Everything seems to just snap on and off in the car.

Next you take off the molding on the side of the console, if you have changed your in cabin filter you know how this works. Just pull toward the door and it unsnaps. The top left circle is where your in cabin air filter is located. The other red circle is where you will be routing the kick plate wire.

Next go over to the passenger side and start removing the glove box. There are seven screws don't forget the two at the top of the glove box.

Glove box removed.

I didn't get a pic of the BCM unit before I unscrewed it but it is just held in place by 4 Phillips screws. Here it is twisted and turned so that you can work on it.

Here is the tap attached to the first one, the dark green wire. You will be given 3 taps with the kick plates.

Here is all 3 wires tapped. Oh yeah they tell you to unplug the negative wire on the battery prior to installation.

After the wires are tapped you will run the cable down the side of the passenger side and zip tie it along the right edge. Here is the wire on the floor after being tapped and tied along the side of the car. The wire is laying on the floor with the carpet pulled off.

Here is the other end of the cable after routing it on the floor under the carpet through the center console.

Now I hooked the battery back up to make sure it all worked before I buttoned everything up and all was good. I thought they would have the wire from the kick plate go though a hole in the body of the car, but you actually have the 2 small wires go over the metal lip where the rubber seal goes. So the rubber seal just gets put right on top of the wires.
You will not feel the wire under the carpet, they also give you some foam tape to hold the wire down under the carpet.

The only problem I ran into was getting the screws back in the glove box one of them just did not want to go back in :mad:

Lights!

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

darylzero wrote: Image
Anyone know where I can get this kind of connector? I installed mine too and love those connector. They are solid unlike the regular wire tapper which might get lose.

sprocket

zengshengliu wrote:
Anyone know where I can get this kind of connector? I installed mine too and love those connector. They are solid unlike the regular wire tapper which might get lose.
They are called Posi-Tap, made by http://www.posi-lock.com
They are color coded based on wire gauge size range, you need to use the correct one suited to your wire gauge.

Amazon sells them in a variety pack (link below) but you can also buy packs specific to the gauge you need, just search for them.
http://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-Connecto ... 009RPDOAM/

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

sprocket wrote:
zengshengliu wrote: Anyone know where I can get this kind of connector? I installed mine too and love those connector. They are solid unlike the regular wire tapper which might get lose.
They are called Posi-Tap, made by http://www.posi-lock.com
They are color coded based on wire gauge size range, you need to use the correct one suited to your wire gauge.

Amazon sells them in a variety pack (link below) but you can also buy packs specific to the gauge you need, just search for them.
http://www.amazon.com/Posi-Tap-Connecto ... 009RPDOAM/
Thank you very much.
Been looking for that for a while, but without the name, its hard to find it

Leo2005

I have received mine a week ago but haven't installed them yet. They don't come with manual so if anyone needed here it is: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_ ... /1TF26.PDF

Return to “Rogue Forum”