CHATROOM: Battery Replacement, Life Span, etc

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
2009 Indigo Blue
Car: Indigo Blue 2009 Rogue S FWD

I bought an '09 Rogue at the end of '08, so it's been 4 yrs & 1 month since I bought it. My original battery went out yesterday. I replaced it with a Duralast battery with an 8-yr guarantee. Just out of curiosity, how long did your ORIGINAL battery last?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

2009 Indigo Blue wrote:I bought an '09 Rogue at the end of '08, so it's been 4 yrs & 1 month since I bought it. My original battery went out yesterday. I replaced it with a Duralast battery with an 8-yr guarantee. Just out of curiosity, how long did your ORIGINAL battery last?
mine is also the stock 2008 battery, and its still in the game.

this topic is tough to wage because everyone lives in different climates and treats their batteries in a different fashion. every time someone lets their battery "die" they essentially tear down a wall inside and it never returns back to its original shape (even after full recharge). those who dont allow their battery to fully discharge = get longer life from their battery.

JMed
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S AWD (Pearl White)
2015 Nissan Rogue SV (Black)

I bough my certified '08 Rogue around mid October last year, It had the original battery and I replaced it like two months ago because it wasn't holding it charge. Taking all that into consideration the original battery lasted 4 years and 3 months.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

My original 2008 battery is still going strong, heading into another winter.

The heat is actually the biggest battery killer, but there are a lot of factors that affect this like ImStricken mentioned. I'm hoping to get well over 5 years out of this battery, but I'll likely replace prior to next winter to be on the safe side, at which point it will be 5.5 years old.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Have had my 2009 Rogue for 3 years 1 month and still on original battery.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

my 2002 maxima's battery lasted till 2010 lol

my 2007 sport-bike tiny battery is still running strong. no one can figure out how i do it lol they usually last 2-3years at most.

Rogue Noob
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Just found a receipt for a battery from June '11, car was new in October '07. I doubt the factory battery made it almost 4 years so my guess is we are on the 3rd battery.

We always get the batteries with the 3yr replacement warranty. Cash it in for a new one every time. Buying 1 battery and getting 2 of them to last 4-6 years isn't bad.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Doing a rough estimate over the number of vehicles I've had over the years, I'd have to say the average works out to three years for battery life. As ImStricken pointed out, there are a lot of variables that can affect the overall lifetime of battery. OEM batteries aren't top of the line premium items, just adequate for getting the job done. If your vehicle was going through one a year, then I'd say there's cause for concern. Otherwise at four years, I'd say if it were me I'd be pleased it lasted that long, and look for a quality replacement that would give me that many, plus more years of service.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:OEM batteries aren't top of the line premium items, just adequate for getting the job done.
that depends.

they USED to come with 84month guarantee batteries. but since everyone has cut back on everything--- we are getting crap now a days.

my 2002 maxima was this: (84months - and it lasted 8+)

Rogue Noob

84 months is a limited warranty, most battiers out there claim that or 72mo. They prorate anything that doesn't approach that and only if you go buy another Nissan battery. The only warranty I pay attention to is the replacement time frame. Most are 2yr... except the factory batteries. We make sure to get the 3yr ones (I think Bosch at Pep Boys has that, there are plenty of others too), worth the extra $10-20 a battery since we often get a replacement in that 2-3 period.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

my old man's battery died in his lexus - and he too had a 84month warranty, and they changed it without question. his car is a 2007 rx350

Rogue Noob

That original battery you showed is an Interstate battery made for Nissan. That battery carriers the same warranty as Interstate.

Here is Interstates warranty (from their website): " Within eighteen (18) months from the date of original purchase, batteries with a total warranty of 65 months... will be replaced free of charge. Within 24 months from the date of original purchase, batteries with a total warranty of 75 months will be replaced free of charge. Within 30 months of the date of original purchase, batteries with a total warranty of 85 months will be replaced free of charge."

Anything outside of those times will be pro-rated. What that comes out to, I have no idea.

I have never seen or been presented with a battery that has a full 84 month warranty, most I've seen was Bosch with 3yr replacement. It seems that Toyota warranties the battery with the new car warranty (4yrs/50k) so that would not factor in to the actual battery warranty. Either way, I am not aware of any automakers that warranty batteries like that, I know the battery manufacturers don't.

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I am still using my original battery 2008 Rogue sl.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Mine was exactly 3 years. I was on a long trip out of town and I didn't want to take any chances since it didn't start after not driving the vehicle for a few days. I am positive it would have given a few more months but I decided to change it anyways. :wavey:

Grimy
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD premium

I just replaced my battery today. I went with a red top optima for the extra CCA's(it can get pretty cold here in colorado). I bought my 08` Rogue in October/November 2007(So battery lasted 5 years ). The car has spent 2 years in southern california, 8 months in Idaho(winter) and a little over 2 years in Colorado. So it has had its fair shair of cold weather.

stranger21ny
Car: 2008 ROGUE SL

mine just died yesterday since APR 2008. bought one from the dealer with 84 months warrenty i think for $115

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

mine too died last week. replaced it from pep-boys for $80 sum bux lol

groper1
Car: 2010 WICKED BLACK NISSAN ROGUE 360

The original battery in my daughter's 2010 Rogue 360 died 2 weeks ago after 2 years and 10 months. Not a great life but as has been mentioned previously the general battery quality in recent years (like MANY consumable items these days) has taken a nose dive. Intersesting that Miller Nissan (Van Nuys, CA) straight up offered her a 25% prorata warranty rebate (discount) on the replacement, which is great as she would have been none the wiser. Go Miller Nissan :dblthumb: :mike !!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

also folks, dont forget, that batteries are an item that will have a different service life for everyone. those who drive at low RPM's, those who take many short trips, those who live in really hot temps, those who live in really cold temps all will have worse battery life then others.

also take into account that every time you allow your battery to die(discharge) even after a jump start- its never the same. cell damage occurs, and thats it.

Qashqai

ImStricken wrote:... those who take many short trips ...
:mike Five times a day, 4 km between work and home. During really cold mornings, I am taking a longer way just to let the poor engine warm up.
ImStricken wrote: ... those who live in really hot temps ...
:mike It is hard to believe but in Ottawa, during July and August we have a blast of hot and humid weather like 30 -35 C' :cool:
ImStricken wrote: ... those who live in really cold temps ...
:mike You know...Ottawa...minus 30 - 40 C' :ohno:

That being said, I will soon need a new battery :picard:

idelgado782
Car: Nissan Rogue 2011

Hey guys I have a quick question. When I lock my car and the horn honks, sometimes it sounds normal ( i would say loud and squeaky as it does when i'm on the road and need to honk the horn) and other times it sounds muffled and not as perky/squeaky? I'm concerned that the battery may be dying, I don't know why else it would do that. I have no problems when starting up the car. I know the last time my battery died on my acura it stalled a bit before finally turning on. What do you think could be the cause of the horn sounding funky? Do you think I should have my battery tested? Thanks guys!! :)

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Qashqai wrote: :mike It is hard to believe but in Ottawa, during July and August we have a blast of hot and humid weather like 30 -35 C' :cool:
In American ;) that's 86 to 95 F. :werd:
Qashqai wrote::mike You know...Ottawa...minus 30 - 40 C' :ohno:
In American ;) that's -22 to -40 F. :ohno:

No wonder you guys like your beer! :cheers:

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

idelgado782 wrote:Hey guys I have a quick question. When I lock my car and the horn honks, sometimes it sounds normal ( i would say loud and squeaky as it does when i'm on the road and need to honk the horn) and other times it sounds muffled and not as perky/squeaky? I'm concerned that the battery may be dying, I don't know why else it would do that. I have no problems when starting up the car. I know the last time my battery died on my acura it stalled a bit before finally turning on. What do you think could be the cause of the horn sounding funky? Do you think I should have my battery tested? Thanks guys!! :)
Sound is a funny thing. There are so many variables that can affect acoustics, so I'd venture to say it's more a case of where it's parked, rather than a week battery. If the battery were the issue, it would impact other things, not just the horn chirp. For piece of mind, Sears automotive will run a free battery test.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

Our 2008 SL AWD has 86K miles on it and our 5 year loan be paid off in 4 months! :-) Original battery and still several years of brake pad usage left! We drive it fairly easily and it never gets very hot or very cold here so our results, although outstanding, are not unheard of.

Also, 35K miles on our Hankook H727's and they look and drive like new

What a great car!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

idelgado782 wrote:Hey guys I have a quick question. When I lock my car and the horn honks, sometimes it sounds normal ( i would say loud and squeaky as it does when i'm on the road and need to honk the horn) and other times it sounds muffled and not as perky/squeaky? I'm concerned that the battery may be dying, I don't know why else it would do that. I have no problems when starting up the car. I know the last time my battery died on my acura it stalled a bit before finally turning on. What do you think could be the cause of the horn sounding funky? Do you think I should have my battery tested? Thanks guys!! :)
yes if the voltage your battery is putting out is low, then your horn/alarm/doorlocks/dome lights/blinkers are going to create an instant drain upon you pushing your remote. id keep an eye on it. if one day you start your car and you see AWD light light up and stay = your battery is shot and has a few days to 2-3weeks left.

you gotta understand that it takes roughly 15-20mins to run above 2300rpm for the alternator to put back what was sucked away from starting the car. furthermore your battery is used to "excite" the magnetic field in your alternator, creating a bigger drain on the battery. if you do a bunch of short trips, especially at low RPM's = your not putting back what you took out, by the initial start-up.
nissan is screwing people by programming the car to drop RPM's so easily and quickly upon every acceleration from a stop. the alternator is having a hard time re-charging the battery that way. plus dont forget, when you upgrade things (ie; radios/amps/etc) your taking a potentially 60-120watt radio out, and replacing it often with something that consumes twice the wattage - depleting your electrical system MORE than what you originally had. now couple that with phones/ipods/and a ton of other accessories and your gonna drain your battery very quickly.

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

Mine actually died only 2 years in.

Its replacement (Walmart EverStart) is still going strong.

minibus4
Car: 2008 AWD SL

My original battery hasnt gone out all the way but was getting kinda worried after barely being able to start it last week. Pretty decent considering it has been 5 years and powered 2 12's 600rms and very cold Winters (Alaska). I replaced it with the biggest battery I could fit and ended up with the Duralast Gold (750cca's) for $112 with an 8 year warranty.

balancesheet1

I changed the battery today at my local Nissan dealership after 3 years and 7 months. They charged me $190 total - kinda expensive but it was convenient so I just did it.

morselicious
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Gothem Gray/350K@sold
2009 Toyota Rav4 /sold
2011 Toyota Rav4/sold
2018 Toyota Rav4/sold
2001 Rav4 AWD /Black/ 130K (present car)

Mine is still going strong. 4yrs ,2 months, only one time no start, when the bearing seized on the ac compressor. Load test says still good power inside the black case.

bokito
Car: #Infiniti FX35 AWD '05 DG, Technology/Navigation/Touring/Entertainment
#Nissan Rogue '08 SL AWD

'08, stock battery, just topped up water since it was down a little bit. I trickle charged it every month during winter months since my wife doesn't drive the car very often.

Return to “Rogue Forum”