Got my engines!

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
biosehnsucht

Got my engines, two blown motors to be rebuilt (got em from pulsar gtr), was interesting getting them off the shipping truck, I'll tell that story later, just tossing up a few required "they're here" pics for now.. already got em on stands w/ the help of some friends (stands from harbor freight, hoist borrowed from neighbor)

Two engines on stands

Left engine

Right engine

edit: updating image linksedit: resized images, renamed thread (or not, only changes main subject line, oh well..)mass thread edit from the great beyond - updating links
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:04 AM 1/15/2007

NeedCAforS13
Car: E21 320i
HJ75 Land Cruiser

dude those look like pretty good condition motors to be "blown":) what exactly is wrong with them?

Sean

biosehnsucht

one is probably rings and the other HG. I forget which cyls were tested bad for compression, but on one motor they're next to each other (probably HG) and the other they're not (probably rings)

the one on the right's exh cam looks almost new but the one on the left is somewhat scored, but that won't stop it from running.

can always steal an exh cam from a pulsar, then an intake from a CA16 (haven't yet figured out which CA16 intake cam is "the" cam everyone seems to want, since there's like 4 or 5 different part#'s for diff years/cars/etc)...

one of the clutch/flywheel pairs is in decent condition, good enough to be used for probably at least another 5-10k miles (if not doing burnouts or other abuse), who knows how long but looks decent for used. the other is toast :D haha my friend when we took the first tranny off saw the clutch and went "Oh my god, that's so big! Is that a twin plate clutch ??" and not having seen a KA or such clutch up close I was like "I dunno, I never got a look at my stock one, maybe it is.. " then we pull the cover off just plain jane clutch, haha. damn that **** is heavy, I swear the clutch+flywheel is like 3/4 the weight of the transmission.

the right engine has all these crazy ground straps hanging off it.. the bling looking wires with red tape. the coil pack cover is actually cracked in the middle and there's some black tape covering it, but there's no obvious damage below it from looking through the crack, so it probably just got pwned by some idiot at the junkyard or when it was shipped to the US or something, not that the head exploded or anything. luckilly I should have a spare coil pack cover coming .. :D

more later when I get home and hopefully play with them some more..

pulsar gtr
Car: NISSAN VEHICLES

Hi,

I am glade that you got your engines and I am glade that you are a satisfied customer, good luck with your project.

PULSAR GTR

biosehnsucht

I have decided to refer to my two engines as L / R.

Aside from the anime pun that not many will get because not many who could have seen it, bothered, it's convenient cause L is on the Left and R is on the Right. R also has Rust, from blown headgasket, coating the side, as well as another possible meaining for R..

after taking off all the accessories I noticed the oil filter..

and looking at the ex cam (haven't got enough crap outta the way to easily pull the in side valvecover) looks relatively nice and shiny, but other than the illegible marking between cyls 1&2 (looks like IC something??) there's nothing indicating specialty, but hey, it's POSSIBLE it might be something aftermarket too. Now the likely is obvious: it's all but certain that the gasket blew from boost :D

The inside of the ex side of the R motor is much cleaner than that of the L motor, altho the outside of L is better shape, R has a crack inthe coil pack cover and was missing a bolt on the 2nd and 3rd cyl coil packs (there's 4 to hold them on, each had 3), and there's lots of crud or corrosion or something in on the plug valley cover thing (the thing the coils bolt to)..

if I hadn't noticed the time when I came in to tell a friend about the oil filter discovery I'd still be takin em apart, time for bed !
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:04 AM 1/15/2007

KaZ (VaBch)

I had that same filter on my CA when I received it from Japan. ITS TINY!! Well compared to a stock oil filters I have for my Z32 anyway...

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Dude, that's one of the cleanest heads i've ever seen. It's a lot better than mine was!

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

i dont even want to know what mine looks like inside, hope nothing is too scored.. being the 3rd time its run out of oil (actually might be the 4th) and 4th time it has run out of a fluid in general (again, could be 5th) i think it has the right to be 0wn3d on the inside. oh well, ill just build it to the hilt if it is. and then i guess i will probably have to make it a 1.9l or something..

-tim

GoofyATX240

Hey where in DFW are you located anywyas man???

biosehnsucht

haha one possibility is whoever it was blew the HG, swapped the stock turbo **** back on, swapped stock cams back in (hence why its super clean), and then kept the parts. but we'll see, once I get to removing the cams I'll be checking them all out ...

Goofy (and anyone else in DFW): I'm near plano rd and 635, if you wanna stop by and hang out / check out the engines / whatever, hit me up on AIM / MSN (biosehnsucht / [email protected]) so we can synchronize our watches, so to speak.

GoofyATX240

Your pretty close I think. I live off custer and 121, and would love to see the inside of the motor hehe.

biosehnsucht

Ugh, been monkeying on the engines some more, concentrating on the 'R' because I'm curious to see what it looks like now, what the HELL was nissan thinking with the heater/coolant hoses on this thing ?? ? ? ? ???

Good god thats a disgusting design.. that and all the vacuum related crap like idle air so on is all over the place even more than my SOHC KA..

on the bright side (literally) the intake came is just as shiny as the exhaust above...

thats it for tonight, time to pass out.

Nismo1182
Car: Z06

SR heater hoses are the same way. Only cool diffrence is, if you remove the rubber tubing all the way to the metal line that runs under the manifold and the other that goes to the back of the block, you can use your stock KA heater hoses without having to do the ghetto U turn like on the SR.

biosehnsucht

I'll have to try that heater hose trick, but do I need to even hook up the throttle body and idle or whatever it is air thing at the back heater hoses?

Also, I noticed the lower water outlet seems to be like glued or JB welded on or something?? : I need to take a close up pic to show what I mean....

Got most everything off, all thats left is the crank pully, the block and head (and cams and such inside), oil pan. All accessories, manifolds, etc are off now.

took a pic of the exhaust side but didn't come out and too tired to go take another, so..

and both cams now!

Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:05 AM 1/15/2007

float_6969

I hate you. Mine is all brown from oil coking....

biosehnsucht

oh yeah I forgot to mention, in the intake ports (I think just hte high RPM ones) in the head, there's tons of buildup around the valve shafts, like 1-2mm wide... when turning crank to make the cams make the valves move, the sludge moves with the valves lol

float_6969

Ewww, you need to do a leak down test on that motor. It sounds like you've got bad rings. You're getting a bunch of blowby and it's gumming up the valves. I had the same problem...

biosehnsucht

Well both area getting rebuilt - this motor has most likely AT LEAST a blown headgasket. the other one is only rings and valves (old valves not quite seating, but that may just be gunkiness)

oh yeah the turbo had oil in the oil passages still and water (coolant, GREEN) in the water passeges, has no shaft play as far as we can tell and spins very freely :D

biosehnsucht

Got the head off, and everything it takes to do that!

Man, these CA pullys weigh nothing. Why is everyone making noises about lightened ones? lol, compared to the SOHC KA one, which was a freakin cruise liner anchor...

(Only just realized no pics of the rest of it, but oh well, the rest don't matter, nothing to report there)

And lets just say, it had a very blown headgasket.. and stupid carbon buildup, and just ewww... whoever had it originally didn't take good care of it, good thing it's getting tanked and possibly bored to 84mm (or not - I may or may not use this block, and I may or may not bore both engines) :D

from left to right, cyls 1-4:

cyl #2 chamber closeup:

now the block, in reverse order of cyls (right to left 1-4):

cyls #1-2 closeup (mmm, long time sitting rust):

cyl #2 closerup (mmm, scoring):
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:06 AM 1/15/2007

float_6969

Hmmmm, thats some pretty bad carbon build up. I'll bet that ones got bad rings too.

biosehnsucht

Likely, but rings are hardly the issue on that motor :D

Both motors will get new rings among other things at the least, so I don't particulary care about the rings.

slideways
Car: drifting/touge/auto cross

outch!! carbon build up? explain that to me!

biosehnsucht

I'm still wrenchin' but got the oil pan off the 'R' engine, so a few quickie pics (actually I took like 5x this but almost all are worthless)

The bottom end..

some piston closeups (I don't remember which pistons):
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:06 AM 1/15/2007

biosehnsucht

In order to get that oil pan off I had to get those lower mounting brackets where the transmission is bolted on, and to do that I had to change where the engine stand was holding the engine up - but I didn't have long enough bolts for the higher bolt holes!

solution is crazy:

And then I got the pistons out ! WHEEEE~~~

Clockwise from top left is cyl 2, 4, 3, 1:

closeups of the undersides of 1&2...:

...and 3&4:
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:07 AM 1/15/2007

float_6969

I love pictures....

biosehnsucht

now I got some goodies from themadscientist

SMIC and intake piping (for SR both) and BOV, also got a single DE piston he had laying around so I can send a DE and DET piston off to get custom 'high comp' pistons made ...

I'll modify the coldpipe to fit if I can (shouldn't be too impossible to figure out what needs doing and take it someplace to cut and weld), the rest of the piping should be a no brainer since its a SR SMIC and SR piping it should work out fine. He sent me the stock pipe too so I can comparison check before I even put it in the car w/o too much trouble.. or, I could just sell it to someone w/ a SR if it appears to be too much trouble, but I'd rather modify and use it since it's beefy and quite a bit less stupid than stock.

didn't bother with pics of the miscellaneous elbows and connectors of the piping that are stock normal boringness, or the DE piston (we've seen em before!)

sheepdog BOV:

ARC SMIC:

coldpipes:

what did the coldpipe say on it again you ask? here's a closeup!:
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:07 AM 1/15/2007

NeedCAforS13
Car: E21 320i
HJ75 Land Cruiser

ahh! that nice man :thumbup TMS rocks... shouldn't be too hard to get that SR piping to fit!

Sean

biosehnsucht

I'm baaaaack... finally got some work done worth taking pictures of (i.e., got something done)

Working on L motor now, since the timing belt pully / gear was seized on it and haven't gotten around to cutting it off yet..

Wasn't much drama this time, having already mostly disassembled the R motor. So, not as much detailed commentary, as there's not really much to detail.

Didn't bother taking off bottom of the timing belt cover so water pump is still on but all other accessories / manifolds are gone.

This motor is much better shape, I'm going to go ahead and use it to rebuild, altho the turbo seems a bit seized (not seized as in immobile, but doesn't spin freely like the other one did, has some resistance). It can be rebuilt later, I'll just reuse the other engine's turbo for now.

The intake valves are not gummed up at all on this motor, just a moderate amount of ordinary carbon buildup: closeup:

The block and head are in much better condition too overall:

Now According to basic math, I have one complete motor on two stands... (two halves make a whole, right?). Haven't pulled the bottom apart (oil pan + etc) yet, but everything from the deck up is off.
Modified by biosehnsucht at 5:08 AM 1/15/2007

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Definitely inspect the ring lands on at least the engine withthe blow headgasket. These pistons are notoriously sneaky when their ringlands crack. It's hard to tell unless you give them a serious physical inspection. Other than that, looks like fun!

Dee

float_6969

Damn the bad rings....

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”