DIY: FRONT BRAKE PAD & CALIPER REPLACEMENT VIDEO & CHAT

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMyS6igo1Y[/youtube]
Brake Pad Bedding: "The procedures are very similar between manufacturers. With respect to the pads, the bonding resins must be burned off relatively slowly to avoid both fade and uneven deposits. The procedure is several stops of increasing severity with a brief cooling period between them. After the last stop, the system should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature. Typically, a series of ten increasingly hard stops from 60mph to 5 mph with normal acceleration in between should get the job done for a high performance street pad. During pad or disc break-in, do not come to a complete stop, so plan where and when you do this procedure with care and concern for yourself and the safety of others. If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over.

In terms of stop severity, an ABS active stop would typically be around 0.9 G’s and above, depending on the vehicle. What you want to do is stop at a rate around 0.7

to 0.9 G's. That is a deceleration rate near but below lock up or ABS intervention. You should begin to smell pads at the 5th to 7th stop and the smell should diminish before the last stop. A powdery gray area will become visible on the edge of the pad (actually the edge of the friction material in contact with the disc - not the backing plate) where the paint and resins of the pad are burning off. When the gray area on the edges of the pads are about 1/8" deep, the pad is bedded."

BACK STORY: i did my oil change in the engine, and figured id inspect my brake pads. break pads were heavily worn. so i grabbed my new set of pads and went to install (all the while making you guys a video on how to install the pads). Well after pushing the piston back into the caliper, the rubber dust boot had a large bulge that refused to go away. long story short, i worked for an hour in a half trying to push that fluid back. removed the brake line, bleed them, squished and mushed, to no avail. it was time to call a quits. the seal that prevent brake fluid from leaking into the dust boot obviously has given way = TIME TO EITHER REBUILT THE BRAKE CALIPERS OR TO ORDER NEW ONES.

i decided to call my local auto parts stores to see price = FAIL AGAIN. they all told me thats a dealer only part. BRAKE CALIPERS, DEALER ONLY!?? total BS if you ask me. they said its too new of a car, to have those out yet. well i put all the old crap back together, and i have a few options: 1) ebay oem calipers, 2) rebuild my stock calipers.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER TODAY, TO SAY THE LEAST. starting to really get pissed of with this car. i have never had such a problem. i have had seized calipers on nissans with 150,000 miles, but 50k?? really!? this is total BS. thats all i hear with rogue owners: MY BRAKES FAILED EARLY!

THIS MIGHT BE WHY A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE HAVING BRAKE ISSUES, AND HAVING CALIPERS REPLACED SO EARLY. BUT SINCE MOST PEOPLE CANT SEE WHATS WRONG WITH THEIR BRAKES, THEY RELY ON THE LYING DEALERS TO ADDRESS BRAKE ISSUES.

SlimSlammedRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I think, mine are bad too, but its on the back drivers side, so i left it alone until i get the funds together for the dealer to bend me over.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i'm pissed dude. this should not be happening under 60k. and it hear it on here way too often with rogue owners. i think im going to rebuild my calipers one weekdn or try and order aftermarket ones.

SlimSlammedRogue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

The titan ones are a direct swap and its a sorta oem+ upgrade, but you have to do all 4. If i put them on mine ill do a write up.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

SlimSlammedRogue wrote:The titan ones are a direct swap and its a sorta oem+ upgrade, but you have to do all 4. If i put them on mine ill do a write up.
YOU ARE 100% SURE that the nissan titan calipers are a direct fit?

Leo2005

It's been discussed earlier. Front brakes are the same as 07-08 Sentra SE-R. Rear brakes are unique. For front you have an option of bigger calipers.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Just did a quick check online with your specs. First hit returned was from JC Whitney:
A1 CARDONE FRICTION CHOICE REMANUFACTURED BRAKE CALIPER Priced from: $67.30 - $71.01
http://www.jcwhitney.com/a1-cardone-fri ... 088y2008j1

CENTRIC SEMI-LOADED BRAKE CALIPER Priced from: $43.86 - $45.62
http://www.jcwhitney.com/centric-semi-l ... 088y2008j1

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

just so everyone is aware:

"loaded" = with piston seals, boots, pads, pins, bolts, mounting bracket, etc.
"semi-loaded" = just with piston & seals
"unloaded" = cleaned up core. no piston, seals, etc.

i wouldnt mind a semi-loaded honestly. everything else of mine works. thanks rogue one for the link. i found the same centric on ebay for about double the price.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Leo2005 wrote:It's been discussed earlier. Front brakes are the same as 07-08 Sentra SE-R. Rear brakes are unique. For front you have an option of bigger calipers.
yea, the sentra i was aware; but this guy is claiming titan! lol

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ImStricken wrote:just so everyone is aware:

"loaded" = with piston seals, boots, pads, pins, bolts, mounting bracket, etc.
"semi-loaded" = just with piston & seals
"unloaded" = cleaned up core. no piston, seals, etc.

i wouldnt mind a semi-loaded honestly. everything else of mine works. thanks rogue one for the link. i found the same centric on ebay for about double the price.
Yea, I found that too, eBay isn't always the best place for bargains. Knew you would probably go with something less than fully loaded, just thought I'd share the info for others that aren't as manly as you! :rotflmao

Gotta say, I try to be as easy on braking as possible, but this does give me pause for concern.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

if im not mistaken, the 07-09 altima will also swap in, no? because according to the interchange the SE-r's will match the altima's

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

R1, im assure you, i really dont abuse my brakes. ok so i towed 1500lbs about 6 times. the rest, as pretty gentle. i always merge and let go of the throttle to coast prior to an exit, rather than keep pace and slam on my brakes. there is no way these are supposed to experience this at this mileage. add in the fact that others are experiencing broken calipers and other brake issue = this car is pissing me off. nissan refuses to acknowledge issues with this car, and as it stands right now, this car is my last nissan.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

im the type where if i do brake work, i always like to do everything else while im at it.

so since i have all the pads, and im buying 1 caliper = i might as well buy the other caliper just to get it out of the way. and since im doing all of that = i might as well get the rotors too.

this simple "pop in the pads" gig, just turned into an expensive job.

$10 for pads (great deal on black friday)
$45 left caliper
$45 right caliper
$36 left rotor
$36 right rotor
+___________________
$172

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ImStricken wrote:
Leo2005 wrote:It's been discussed earlier. Front brakes are the same as 07-08 Sentra SE-R. Rear brakes are unique. For front you have an option of bigger calipers.
yea, the sentra i was aware; but this guy is claiming titan! lol
He could be right. On the JC Whitney site I changed the values for the vehicle to "2008 Nissan Titan LE" and it came back with the same product code as the Rogue - Product #: 2072219G

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

That sucks ImStricken! How about a junkyard?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

darylzero wrote:That sucks ImStricken! How about a junkyard?
the only way ill go to a junk yard for calipers, is if i rebuild them anyway. they will cost me as much as rebuilt ones. i could end up going to the junk yard and getting ones with similar issues, or worse = rusted pistons. not really worth my while.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

according to interchange, rogue calipers will also fit a 2010+ suzuki kizashi

dave08902
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360'

ImStriken, Check out http://www.rockauto.com, they have rebuild kits for the front calipers. They also got calipers from several manufactures. Napa auto parts sells them for 76.99 with lifetime warranty.
Found this on Napa's website for the caliper https://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/1233306.pdf

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i wonder if this is the same problem nissan dealership mechanics are having when replacing peoples pads, (and since nissan mechanics dont rebuild calipers) they are simply chalking it up as a "replace broken caliper" and charging the customers?

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

I was gonna suggest rockauto too.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i bought two units on ebay from 2 different sellers. with the returned old calipers they will cost be about $40-45 each. i am thinking of keeping my old ones and rebuilding them from the ground up (depending on the pistons of course. because if they are pitted or rusted, then its not worth rebuilding). a new boot & seal kit is about $5.00. if my pistons are in good condition, it would be worth keeping my old ones, rebuilding them with the new kits, and keeping them just in case. THOUGHTS? (i wonder when the local stores will start carrying the calipers for our cars?)

dave08902

Napa is a local store in New Jersey and are also nationwide and they carry them.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

dave08902 wrote:Napa is a local store in New Jersey and are also nationwide and they carry them.
i checked this morning, and nappa was expensive.

i just checked again, and their website seems to be having an error, but the prices are different.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BTW: each one of these projects is going to be a DIY video for everyone. I might as well turn my negative experience into something that might help others.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ImStricken wrote:
dave08902 wrote:Napa is a local store in New Jersey and are also nationwide and they carry them.
i checked this morning, and nappa was expensive.

i just checked again, and their website seems to be having an error, but the prices are different.
Check Advance Auto Parts http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... rvlet/home___
Website says they carry them, plus they've got stores in your neck of the woods.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Check Advance Auto Parts http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... rvlet/home___
Website says they carry them, plus they've got stores in your neck of the woods.
they dont have them. called twice, went in the store and looked at their computer. they show it as a dealer only item. even on their website it says "0" items

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ImStricken wrote:
Rogue One wrote:Check Advance Auto Parts http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... rvlet/home___
they dont have them. called twice, went in the store and looked at their computer. they show it as a dealer only item. even on their website it says "0" items
Move to a real state! :lolling:

dave08902

Advance does not carry exact fit for the Rogue. They carry 22 front calipers that may fit our Rogues.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:Move to a real state! :lolling:
TELL ME ABOUT IT. i cant wait to move out of New Jermany.
I am tired of this Democrat Project gone wrong. all this liberal democratic BS that has businesses hands tied behind their backs. unarmed citizens. taxed to death businesses and tax payers. bloated local government bleeding homeowners. empowered and protected criminals who have 12 F-ING FELONY CONVICTIONS AND YET STILL ROAM FREE TO BREAK INTO HOMES AND BEAT INNOCENT WOMEN ALMOST TO DEATH.

yea, count me out. me and ms.imstricken have been making plans to move in the near future.(1 year or so)

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

ImStricken wrote:
Rogue One wrote:Move to a real state! :lolling:
TELL ME ABOUT IT. i cant wait to move out of New Jermany.
I am tired of this Democrat Project gone wrong. all this liberal democratic BS that has businesses hands tied behind their backs. unarmed citizens. taxed to death businesses and tax payers. bloated local government bleeding homeowners. empowered and protected criminals who have 12 F-ING FELONY CONVICTIONS AND YET STILL ROAM FREE TO BREAK INTO HOMES AND BEAT INNOCENT WOMEN ALMOST TO DEATH.

yea, count me out. me and ms.imstricken have been making plans to move in the near future.(1 year or so)
Tell us how you really feel :tongue :poopy:

Sounds like someone is moving to Texas

Return to “Rogue Forum”