Ever wonder whats inside your distributer? SOHC, DOHC, S14

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

I was having some issues with my crank angle sensor, so I decided to take a shot in the dark. There are lots of similar parts inside of SOHC, DOHC, and S14 KA24DE distributers, but nothing directly crosses over.

S14 on the left, DOHC S13 in the middle, and SOHC S13 on the right.

Caps, rotors, and dust covers removed.

A close up of the 2 S13 units. The S14s internal coil ruled it out as a canidate early on. I continued to disassemble it for posterity.

Hall wheels, and optical sensors removed.

S14

DOHC S13

SOHC S13

The Hall wheels. They are all identical save 1 thing, the orientation of the inner ring of slots.

The sensors. All of the actual pickups are similar, most likely identical internally. Besided location of the wiring plug, the S13 sensors are nearly identcal. They share bolt spacing, and pickup style.

I attempted to disassemble the sensor itself, in hopes that I could swap pieces between the 2. Sadly, once assembled, they pack the whole thing with resin, and it becomes one piece.

I wonder if a person could just buy a new cam/crank sensor. Its easy enough to remove. Time to do some searching.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Very interesting indeed. Yes, in fact I have wondered what was inside those things behind the rotor. I was just ganna ask if the base and shaft (no h0m0) were interchangeable with all the plastics and other internals from one another.

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

The bases are all completely different, as are the shafts as far as I can tell. The SOHC has a completely different head as it mates to the oil pump as apposed to the jack shaft pulley.

The spacers, and the rotors for the DOHCs seem to be the same. Otherwise most everything else is at least slightly different.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”