Driver and pasinger door, interior paint scratiching....

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
lucsious
Car: 350z

mines an 04 model though i believe it will be a bit different for removal then the pics shown

RCAnismo
Car: '06 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast, '05 CBR 1000RR Repsol, '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Dang, good luck with the project, post some pics when finished. I have an '06 w/ 28K miles, black interior and thankfully I don't have any of these issues yet..... It's not the best quality but at least it isn't falling apart just from touching it. I'm not married so maybe that helps. lol.

Yolasco
Car: Nissan 350z

Yes I have the same problem with the interior paint. It started happening when the car had about 15,000 miles. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the center glove box latcth and did nothing to the arm rests. It progresebly got worse and I took it back when the car was about 25,000 miles still under warranty. They refused to do anything about it and nowdays the car looks like a piece of worn out crap even though it only has about 45,000 miles. I do not recommend anybody to buy this car nor a Nissan since the company does not stand behind their products. We should all do this and let Nissan that we are doing it so that maybe they will fix the problem or go out of business. The car is a good looking car but very poor quality on the inside.

simplewon
Car: 2004 black roadster

Mine also, saw in another forum someone had bought different black paints from a hobby shop and touched theirs up. I've done nothing to mine. Wish it was all wrapped in calves nap leather...

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

mothers back to black...works wonders

TangeloZ
Car: 2006 Nissan 350z

I have read in quite a few places that this is a common problem with the 06 Z's. Mine had this problem as well, the coating is on the door panel and where the handle is on on the inside. It didn't matter how "gentle" I was not to scratch it, a fingernail, button, etc... would make the biggest scratch and from there it was neverending. To resolve the problem I painted the interior to match the exterior replacing all of these rubberized coated parts. Who ever was the brains behind doing this really made a poor decision on Nissan's behalf.

Check out the paint I did, It hasn't scratched, chipped, or faded, this was a very easy and eye pleasing solution I think!

michaelhartmayer
Car: 2006 350Z

How do I remove those arm rest in order to refinish them? I can't find anything on the WWW.

I also need to refinish the center console storage compartment's button/latch -- any ideas?

Justinrod
Car: 2007 - 350z

How do you remove the door arm rest in order to paint them?

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

I just painted a couple things in my interior. Best paint I've run across is SEM flex coat. It was recommended to me by a local audio customization shop here in town. There are three products I always buy: the soap, the sand free, and the paint (in this case flat black). That was for the plastic panels...for the metal pieces I use a camo paint made by Krylon. It can be found anywhere....

There were several of those white spots and the cubby door was completely faded. I wish I had taken before pics but I just didn't think about it....here are the results....(sorry for the crappy quality, they're cell phone pics)

I plan on fixing the door switch covers next weekend, when a bunch of the stuff I ordered comes in. I'll try to post up full installed interior shots when I can get my hands on a better camera.

chuck3007
Car: 2006.5 350Z

I am having the same issue with the flat black paint / coating on the door arm rests, release for the center console storage compartment, center gage pod hoods , and instrument cluster hood. I own a 2006.5 Grand Touring model with a black interior. The only places that seem to be an issue on the doors are the panels that fit over the window and lock buttons. I can, and have scratched the coating (paint) off with a fingernail. I noticed the first scratch within a month of purchasing the car (I bought it new). I am pretty meticulous when it comes to my toy and I find this issue extremely irritating. I was wondering if anyone has tried talking with a factory rep to see if Nissan might be willing to fix the issue. I have had luck in the past with Acura and Toyota on issues that were out of the warrantee period but I haven't tried with Nissan.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

To those that may not know, the rubberized paint on these cars can be easily removed with 90% rubbing alcohol. I re-sprayed these parts with Krylon paint for high adhesion to plastics with totally satisfactory results.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I'd love to see some pics of your paint job DJ. My idea, if I keep my car for the long haul, has been to remove the pieces and use a 3M vinyl wrap. My original intent was for carbon fiber but I might use a different colour, but if your paint option looks good I might end up going that route.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Ok here's the poop on the subject. The rubber based paint used s__ks. It has very poor adhesion to the plastic and primer. If you want to verify this, take some rubbing alcohol and rub gently. After a moment it will come off onto your finger.

As bad as this seems, it is also the key to a fix. Remove the parts in question and scrub them with alcohol and Scotchbrite. Removing the defective paint this way is almost ridiculously easy.

I re-sprayed the parts with Krylon Fusion For Plastic in satin black. This paint adds no texture and is works well with the center console texture. For the switch panels and latch finisher, their smooth texture will actually yield a significant amount of gloss.

The back panel of the instrument cluster also had some scratches visible so I also refinished it as well. Though in the sun, the gloss can be objectionable so you might want to consider flat black there.

NNN44
Car: 2007 350Z TOURING COUPE

Hey guys, I have this problem as well, 2007 Touring. The paint or coating or whatever it's called has scratched a lot around my driver side inside door handle, a little around the window up/down switches and around the lever for the console switch above the CD player and a few random spots in the centre console panelling. I can even see the coating on the steering wheel deteriorating!! To solve this, I am thinking of plasti dipping maybe in a maroon / red colour. I have seen this been done before and it looked good.
I love my car but for what it is, the inside feels cheap and nasty. Anyways just sharing my experiences.

CMSgtZ
Car: 2007 Roadster, Enthusiast

There is quite a bit of painted plastic in my 2007, so I am sure yours is same. Door panel where your window switch is located same on passenger is painted and scratches relatively easy. Duplicolor and sand paper ought to do the trick. :biggrin:

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”