DIY: Interior LED install (vents, center console, cupholders)

All things Altima Coupe.
ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

My philosophy with any automotive accent lighting is that the lights themselves shouldn't be seen...only their soft, sensual glow. As such, I try to make sure that I mount my LEDs in places where they will reflect off many surfaces and give the nicest ambient light.Heed my words, young grasshoppers........

Tools needed:- Screwdrivers (Philips & very thin flathead)- Wire strippers/cutters- Drill & 3/8" bit- Hot glue gun- Oznium LEDs (I recommend superfluxes and flexible LED strips)

Procedure:

*Step One - Remove the center console (cup holder area) and vent area)*1. Bring both the driver and passenger seats as far forward as possible.2. At the bottom corners of the console you'll see a screw on either side...take 'em out!

3. Grab the very rear of the console and give it a yank.

4. Put the seats back again. Pull off the panel in the footwells (they're just snapped in there) and remove the screws holding the front of the console in place.

5. Remove the panel above the storage box/cubby. Open the lid just far enough that you can stick your fingers underneath it and pull out the little panel up there.

6. Next, pull up the bezel surrounding the shift boot. The easiest way to do this is by jamming your greasy digits underneath it and pulling up in the front. Also, unsnap the clasp at the top of the shift boot and remove the shift knob.

7. Remove the center console/cubby by grabbing the bottom and pulling straight out. Remember to unclip the 12V accessory connection in the back!

8. Stick a very thin flathead screwdriver in the corner of the air vent panel. You have to stick it in fairly far (about 2/3 to 1 inch) before you've got enough leverage to yank the sucker out.

WARNING!!!There are two connections to be undone in there...one of them is for your passenger airbag light. If you unclip it when the battery is still hooked up, you will get the airbag warning light in your gauge cluster the next time you start your car. Instructions on how to reset the warning light can be found here: http://forums.altimas.org/zerothread/327267

9. You're done! The center console should now pull up nice 'n easy. Be careful though as there are a couple of electronic clips under there (for the heated seats and something to do with the supplemental airbags). Make sure you unhook them before pulling too hard!

*Step Two - The LEDs*1. If you're using Oznium superflux LEDs, I'd suggest using two per vent. Drill two 3/8" holes across from each other in the bottom of the vents. Make sure they're far enough back that when the LED is mounted in there it doesn't obstruct the movement of the louvers.

NOTE - If you're planning on using UV LEDs, I'd suggest getting three 4.7" flexible strips instead. UV LEDs aren't nearly as bright as regular colours so I needed some extra "oomph" in there!

2. Drill one or two 3/8" holes at the top edge of the cubby. Make sure they're at about a 45-degree angle so you get maximum light coverage.

3. If you want to put LEDs in the rear cupholders, make sure you have enough wire! Simply pull up on the cupholder to get it out.

4. Using a coat hanger, run your wires down the panel and out the bottom. From there you can tuck them neatly underneath the door sill...

5. When placing your LEDs in the center cup holders, I would suggest placing them underneath the lip so only the glow is seen. In this case, I use four superfluxes in total (two on either side.

6. Here's a simple diagram (stolen from Oznium... *ahem*) on how to wire up your switch.

There you go!

xkursion
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5S Black/Black

That looks really cool. I would imagine there is some nasty glare in the eyes from the vent LEDs though? Those water bottles are killer.

XK

phobs

holy nice write up, makes me consider on doing some led mods now :D! CUSTOM TITLE, ftw!

ESP

xkursion wrote:That looks really cool. I would imagine there is some nasty glare in the eyes from the vent LEDs though? Those water bottles are killer.

XK
Thanks! There isn't much glare at all from the vent LEDs. I try not to drive with them on anyway...I prefer to be showy when parked at car meets!

xkursion
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5S Black/Black

yea that's what I figured. Might just have to try the cup holder mod

Hussain
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se CVT

ok, i know i'm going to get flamed for this one BUT i didn't know they offered heated cloth seats??? i thought it was just leather in the premium package.

imdavit
Car: 08' Radiant Silver Altima Coupe 2.5s

nice write up ESP

man if i was familiar with the wiring i would jump on this like tomorrow, i have no idea where all the wires are and im skurred if i took all the stuff out i cant put it back in like a noob i am.

but other than that great job and u deserve a custom title.

something like

"Fancy Shmancy Pants" hahaha

ESP

Maybe it's different in the US...up here in Canuckville we need to keep our buttcheeks warm in the winter no matter what finishings our cars have! LOL

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

did you run dedicated power to/from the battery or did you tap existing power lines?

If you tapped them how did you know what was what??

If you ran dedicated power to the battery . . . kudos to you haha, I ran power directly from my battery to my trunk for my amp, the project made me want to

mcheddadi
Car: R8

Nice write up!!

custom tag GET!!

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Hahahah at the meet last night we had 4 or so guys wanting to know how mike and I had done this... i had taken a bajillion pics but didnt get around to doing the writeup... nice job!

Putting them in the center console is probably the hardest spot, as you need to take the whole damn thing out (or atleast we did)...

ESP, email me a link to this thread, with what you want your custom title to be.

GOOD WORK!

ESP

LongBeachCoupe wrote:Putting them in the center console is probably the hardest spot, as you need to take the whole damn thing out (or atleast we did)...
^^^^That's how I felt when doing it!Taking it out is the easy part...putting it back in again...yeesh. As you can see, I was too frustrated to take pics of that part of the project! haha

I'll shoot you an email a little later...I'm at the studio right now and my mind is on other things! Thanks!

ESP

RobPaulson wrote:did you run dedicated power to/from the battery or did you tap existing power lines?

If you tapped them how did you know what was what??

If you ran dedicated power to the battery . . . kudos to you haha, I ran power directly from my battery to my trunk for my amp, the project made me want to
I ran a dedicated line. It doesn't go through the firewall though (yet...). It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's a black wire and my car is black and nobody has noticed it yet...

RobPaulson
Car: 2013 Subaru WRX

ESP wrote:
I ran a dedicated line. It doesn't go through the firewall though (yet...). It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's a black wire and my car is black and nobody has noticed it yet...
oye vey this does not sound like fun . . . ummmm LBC you did this too right?? Did you run dedicated power or tap something? I would much rather tap something considering I have ridiculously large power lines going through the only hole I could muster in the firewall.

Also, I am lookin to do this with orange on the ground and blue comin through vents/cupholders, thoughts/ideas on that color scheme? (I want it to match the current LED scheme, i cant afford surmanm's mod )

EDIT: For the floor lighting, did you use flexstrips or superflux LEDs?
Modified by RobPaulson at 8:55 AM 10/24/2008

surmanm
Car: 2008 nissan altima coupe 3.5 se

RobPaulson wrote:
oye vey this does not sound like fun . . . ummmm LBC you did this too right?? Did you run dedicated power or tap something? I would much rather tap something considering I have ridiculously large power lines going through the only hole I could muster in the firewall.

Also, I am lookin to do this with orange on the ground and blue comin through vents/cupholders, thoughts/ideas on that color scheme? (I want it to match the current LED scheme, i cant afford sumnam's mod )
we actually didn't tap into anything we ran a positive wire thru the firewall to the positive of the switch and the ground to the switch we ran to a ground screw in the car by the fuse box. i think you can run a positive to the fuse box if you really wanted to.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

You can tap in if you prefer...

I used 4 9" led bars i got from ledglow i think.. same ones everyone else has been using.

ESP

RobPaulson wrote:EDIT: For the floor lighting, did you use flexstrips or superflux LEDs?
I used these: http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-stripsOne 9" per side will definitely be bright enough (trust me, they're blinding!), but I want my car to look like it's going nuclear inside so I'm probably going to grab another pair!

I dig the orange in the footwells and blue in the vents...that was my other option actually!

giants2186
Car: Nissan Altima 2.5S Coupe

No ones responded here in forever but Ima give it a try anyways haha.

I just got the altima coupe 2.5S w/conv and prem pkgs and came across this thread and definitely want to do the lighting. My only problem is wiring it to the battery. Do you by chance happen to have simple directions for that?

thanks.

ESP

giants2186 wrote:No ones responded here in forever but Ima give it a try anyways haha.

I just got the altima coupe 2.5S w/conv and prem pkgs and came across this thread and definitely want to do the lighting. My only problem is wiring it to the battery. Do you by chance happen to have simple directions for that?

thanks.
Welcome to the forums!

For connecting to the battery, I just used a simple ring-terminal connector (3/8" IIRC)

DAAN.

I'd like this done in the middle console

Can I contract you for this ?

ESP

DAAN. wrote:I'd like this done in the middle console

Can I contract you for this ?
I thought we talked about this before? Anytime man!

srwong
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE CVT

do you have any photos on how you added LEDs to the front/center cupholders?

And are these the Superflux LEDs you were reffering to? http://www.oznium.com/four-chip-led

ESP

srwong wrote:do you have any photos on how you added LEDs to the front/center cupholders?

And are these the Superflux LEDs you were reffering to? http://www.oznium.com/four-chip-led
Unfortunately I don't have any detailed pics of the center console cupholders. It's pretty straightforward though...just drilled a 3/8" hole in the sides and mounted the LEDs sideways (rather than straight up from the bottom). You do, however, have to remove the entire center console to get at the cupholders.

...and the LEDs you want are the prewired ones: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

srwong

ESP wrote:Unfortunately I don't have any detailed pics of the center console cupholders. It's pretty straightforward though...just drilled a 3/8" hole in the sides and mounted the LEDs sideways (rather than straight up from the bottom). You do, however, have to remove the entire center console to get at the cupholders.

...and the LEDs you want are the prewired ones: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux
awesome, thanks!

DAAN.

Perfect! I added your address to MSN : info@

Do you know any other local coupes?

srwong

ESP wrote:5. Remove the panel above the storage box/cubby. Open the lid just far enough that you can stick your fingers underneath it and pull out the little panel up there.

6. Next, pull up the bezel surrounding the shift boot. The easiest way to do this is by jamming your greasy digits underneath it and pulling up in the front. Also, unsnap the clasp at the top of the shift boot and remove the shift knob.
i just finished STEP 5, and cannot go onto STEP 6 because I have a CVT, so there is no place to stick my hand under. so how can i get past this?

srwong

anyone? i got the part around it to lift up, but i can't pull it off because of the shift knob. i can't figure out how to remove it.

headhunt3r
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5S w/ CVT

I know there's a write up somewhere around here, but basically you separate the bottom chrome piece downwards, remove the little pin that it reveals (KEEP THIS SAFE), then the knob slides right off, and then you can remove the chrome piece.

Good luck!

srwong

headhunt3r wrote:I know there's a write up somewhere around here, but basically you separate the bottom chrome piece downwards, remove the little pin that it reveals (KEEP THIS SAFE), then the knob slides right off, and then you can remove the chrome piece.

Good luck!
omg. ty! that worked perfectly!

elderboy02
Car: '12 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S, Navy Blue, Convenience and Premium Package

Wow! Very cool! I just might have to do this.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”