Changing A/C Control/Nav LED color

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DeanM45
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport 1 or 2 mods

Since doing the instrument cluster swap to the later "white" model I tried the a/c control out of a later model car. They, apparently, do not interchange as some features worked, some didn't. So I decided to pull it apart and swap leds with the stock 06 piece.

Opening it up this is what you will see:

The center control is screwed and soldered in place but once you remove it this is what you will see:

Technically you do not have to remove the center control unless you want to switch the color of the little arrows on the knob. I did not but I likes the chrome knob style of the later models.

These are the guys you'll be removing:

There are 47 of them so plan and spending some time.
Once led removed one still installed:

First couple swapped out:

More swapped out:

Done:

You'll notice the "Zoom Out" button is not lit. The later cars have two fewer leds so I'll have to hunt down some that match. I left the indicator leds (on/off) as amber for some contrast. Also left the arrows on the control knob as amber.
Slightly different circuit board on the later cars, unfortunate as a swap would have gone a LOT faster, LOL.

Other mods I've done: new-headlight-idea-grill-mod-and-ink-pens-t578064.html as well as others scattered on the forum. I need to put together a complete list of mods.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

very nice write up man

DeanM45

At it again -- decided to put the perimeter lights back to amber and more of a blue for the big buttons. This, to me, seems more balanced and it is far less washed out than the pure white.

Full dash (HUD in the upper left matches the cluster now too):

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

that looks very good DeanM45

DeanM45

Doing just the "big buttons" will be much easier for anyone that wants to do this. Six leds instead of 40+! (you can use 0805 SMD leds, ~3 volt). I got these "soft blue/white" leds from Cree (one of my clients).

mitrals
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

DEANM45, was the instrument cluster swap plug and play? Were the miles the same or did it pick up the miles from the new cluster?

DeanM45

mitrals wrote:DEANM45, was the instrument cluster swap plug and play? Were the miles the same or did it pick up the miles from the new cluster?
new-headlight-idea-grill-mod-and-ink-pe ... 64-30.html

9th post.

mitrals
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X

DeanM45 wrote:
mitrals wrote:DEANM45, was the instrument cluster swap plug and play? Were the miles the same or did it pick up the miles from the new cluster?
new-headlight-idea-grill-mod-and-ink-pe ... 64-30.html

9th post.
Thank you! Now I need to find a cluster with similar miles :)

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Absolutely brilliant job Dean!

The dealer (or I imagine other places) can set the exact mileage on these things for a (gulp) fee.

Sheila1261
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

Larz and DeanM45 you guys have done an awesome job on your Infinitis..I just purchased 07 M35 Sport on Sat amd was so disappointed there was no back up camera, nav or satellite radio. I was told there was no way I can swap out radio kits but looking on this forum, thank God I have found and reading your threads, I think I can get a different radio put in. Can you guys direct me in the way to go. Also I want the bedazzled fog lights, how or who do I contact to get that done? I am here in Houston, TX, if you guys can recommend anyone. Thanks

british columbia
Car: M45 INFINITI 2006

Hey man i am looking on purchasing an Infiniti M45 2006,I love what you did to your instruments/buttons and dashboard.I would like to know how i would be able to change the color to blue, thank you for your time,

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

british columbia wrote:Hey man i am looking on purchasing an Infiniti M45 2006,I love what you did to your instruments/buttons and dashboard.I would like to know how i would be able to change the color to blue, thank you for your time,
Did you not f'in read the thread? I'm sorry, but how lazy can you be? Goodness gracious. He told you the LED's he bought...go buy the same ones, just blue.

That being said, OP...man, if this was a direct plug'n'play it would have been SWEET! Too much work for my taste. One thing I did notice was...it seems like the white is spotty..is that just your camera or is that how it is?

DeanM45

LOL. Not spotty at all - just the camera. I'm working to switch out the leds in the clock right now. I think it will be much more balanced then. So many projects, so little time!

As far as adding a backup cam/nav/XM it can be done but I do not know what harnesses you would also need to get. Plus, the BCM (body control module) would have to be changed. Maybe if you find a parts car you can pull everything out.

Foglights are all custom but none of this stuff is hard. Just think about what you want to do, take the stock thing apart and put in what you want. Where abouts in Houston are you? Lived there for 17 years and plan on going back in the near future.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Are the LED's soldered? How are they held in place?

poohouze
Car: 07 m35

DeanM45,
i want to repaint my cluster console do you the color if not im going with matt black anyways, and how hard was it to take off the black plate on the cluster? thanks

DeanM45

The leds are soldered in place. Easy to do if you have a needle point soldering gun or a reflow oven.
The cluster is easy to disassemble, screws hold it in place and then the buttons just pop out. The chrome strip also comes out. You'll have to mask the security label and little led window.

Atlche
Car: 06 M45 Sport

Great write up DeanM45! I'm curious as to what features didn't work when you tried the plug and play swap of the climate control. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Brian35XR
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x
2006 Infiniti M35x
2004 Infiniti G35 - Sold

DeanM35, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 08 cluster for my 06 on ebay, I just had a quick question.

In the other thread you showed the Adaptive Cruise Control lighting up on the cluster even though you bought 1 without it... can I just confirm that it does indeed light up but also WORK with all the steering wheel controls. Also does the Lane Departure Warning work as well?

Thanks for your time !! :biggrin:

DeanM45

Yes, everything works, even the annoying LDW.

Carfreak70852
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Hi Dean. N00b to the forum here - so I cannot PM you my questions. (Sorry to anyone else reading this as I am bumping an old thread...again)

I am currently in the process of swapping out my interior to the 08+ bits.

So far, I have replaced the gauge cluster and had some interesting results. I have a 06' M45 and put a 2010 M35 cluster in it. It didn't work. The tachometer uses a different signal (M35 vs. M45) and it has a 7sp transmission instead of a 5sp so the bottom left LCD screen didn't function. So, I bought an 08' M45 cluster and it works perfect! Just thought that was relevant information.

I also purchased 08'+ push start, and clock/radio controls. No problems there. Then it came to the 08+ climate control and found out (like you) it doesn't plug and play. I couldn't get anything to function on my car - not even the A/C controls. So now I am here!

First off - thanks for posting this thread, but I have a few questions. I have a lot of automotive knowledge including wiring skills, however, I have never soldered LEDs to a circuit board so I wanted to ask a few questions here. Pardon some of the newbie questions - but I want to get specific answers as I will be attempting this once I receive a reply and I am sure there is someone else out there wondering the same things!

1. Did you swap the LEDs from the 08'+ climate control or did you buy new LEDs?
2. If you did swap them over, how do you go about removing them and swapping from one board to the other without damaging them? Simply heat the solder around the LED and pull up with pliers?
3. If you bought new ones, are they white or did you find LEDs that were specifically soft Blue/White - because from my limited search, I can only find Blue or White.
4. Is the process for putting them back on the board the reverse of removing them? Will I need to add solder for the new connection?
5. Odd request, but could you post a picture or link me to the tip of the soldering iron you used?

Again - sorry for the newbie questions, but I couldn't PM you to ask directly.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: After watching a few YouTube videos, I have a better idea of how to solder, but if you could still answer the questions - I would really appreciate it!

Also, did you ever consider taking the 08' "shell" and place it over the 06' board with the new LEDs? I believe the two buttons that are swapped can be removed and placed in the correct locations, correct?

DeanM45

1. Did you swap the LEDs from the 08'+ climate control or did you buy new LEDs?

Both. The 08 LEDs were not to my liking. I got some 0805 SMD LEDs from Cree and am currently using those.

2. If you did swap them over, how do you go about removing them and swapping from one board to the other without damaging them? Simply heat the solder around the LED and pull up with pliers?

SMD LEDs are fairly robust, heat of the solder and then pull the LED off, I used my finger.

3. If you bought new ones, are they white or did you find LEDs that were specifically soft Blue/White - because from my limited search, I can only find Blue or White.

CREE is one of my clients and they sent me some "soft white" LEDs to use.

4. Is the process for putting them back on the board the reverse of removing them? Will I need to add solder for the new connection?

Mounting them is the same as removing them: heat the solder pads and place the LED on the solder. LEDs are oriented so pay attention to how you mount them. You may need to add solder, depends on how well you de-solder the original LEDs.

5. Odd request, but could you post a picture or link me to the tip of the soldering iron you used?

Just get a needle point tip. You can find them all over the place. A 35watt soldering iron works fine for this.

Also, did you ever consider taking the 08' "shell" and place it over the 06' board with the new LEDs? I believe the two buttons that are swapped can be removed and placed in the correct locations, correct?

No, the buttons are not interchangeable, each button is unique in shape.

Give it a go. Soldering is not hard. Granted, I work in electronics and have been doing it for years but you have to start somewhere.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

DeanM45 wrote:Give it a go. Soldering is not hard. Granted, I work in electronics and have been doing it for years but you have to start somewhere.
Agreed, but if anyone has never used one, I'd strongly recommend practicing on some scrap circuit boards first to remove and solder some parts! You can practice with the small surface-mount resistors - if you get comfortable doing these, then the LED's will be similar/easier.

And, also, like you said, definitely use a needle soldering iron (or a very tiny spade tip - which I find easier actually). Anything else may damage the board or LEDs or ...

Z

Carfreak70852
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

Wow, thank you both for the replies. Very detailed.

I am fairly confident in my abilities to get this done - but you're right, I will practice on some scrap before I end up damaging what I currently have.

Thanks again - I will update when I attempt it hopefully sometime next week!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”