Acceleration Problem

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

You're getting rid of it "needless to say"? This is not a "needless to say" situation, this makes no sense to me at all, why in the world would you get rid of a vehicle that will be better than new within a few days??!! ALL vehicle manufacturers including Honda and Toyota have some vehicles with defects, which is why they come with warranties. These are uncommon problems and if they happen to you it's not fun, but in the majority of cases the dealer identifies the problem, fixes it and you have years of trouble free driving. There are millions of examples of top manufacturers and defects, one that I have is of a friend who bought an 07 Toyota RAV4, he had the transmission replaced 3 times over the course of 2 years then finally decided to sell the vehicle. This doesn't mean that 07 RAV4's have bad transmissions, it just means he was one of the few that got unlucky, and I'm sure they would've solved the issue (and quite possibly they did but he sold it too soon for us to know for sure). And just because your Rogue had a bad trans doesn't mean all Rogue's have this issue and it definately doesn't mean the issue will recur in the future.

The Rogue is rated very highly in terms of initial and long-term quality, there is absolutely no reason to think that this problem won't be fixed and a thing of the past once the new transmission is installed. I can't fathom why you'd sell a brand new vehicle just because it was one of the very few that required an early warranty repair - the repairs are free to you and once complete the vehicle will work flawlessly.

If you do want to sell it, you definately won't have any trouble finding a buyer, there will be people lining up to buy because it's a quality brand new vehicle at a significant price reduction because you'll have to eat the big loss, and the new owner will have a sweet vehicle at an amazing low price.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I've experienced this very sluggish acceleration issue as well. After driving longer distances on highway, when I got off the highway, the next couple accelerations feel like they have a "stuck" gas pedal. When you get used to a car, you know from muscle memory how hard you need to press the gas to get the expected acceleration. I drive pretty conservatively, but I'm no 80 year old on the way to church Sunday morning... Well, after being on the highway for a bit, the car feels like it's 80.

One of these days when I have a few minutes free, I'll get it into my local dealer and see if they can pull codes and check it out. It is difficult to replicate, but now that I've driven the car for a few months, I know it's not "normal".

Nick 568
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

mclare's post reminds me of an acceleration "issue" I've had with my Rogue that I'd just like to throw out there for reference. It's not an actual problem, but I figure more knowledge is power, and it may help someone out who may be wondering "wtf??"

I've experienced a few times where the Rogue will stop responding to any throttle input. It's not a transmission issue, the engine is not revving at all despite pressing the gas pedal.
This usually happens after a somewhat large "jolt" to the vehicle. I've had this happen to me twice that I can recall. Drove down an incline on a driveway too fast, hit the even roadway fairly hard, and then I had no acceleration at all.
Another time was last week when I was driving down a muddy off-road trail and hit a bump fairly hard. 'Tripped' the system, and had to just coast for a few feet before anything would happen.
Shutting off the vehicle and restarting it also solves the issue.

Now, I'm fairly confident that this is a normal function of the VDC in the vehicle. I imagine that after an "impact", it kills the throttle because one could imagine what would happen if you got hit at an intersection, were knocked out, but had the throttle pegged. So I'm guessing it's a safety feature. An annoying one, albeit; and one that could cause some people to think something was wrong. So I just wanted to throw this out there for reference for anyone who may search for a similar problem in the future.
However, if I'm totally wrong in my assumption that this is a normal safety feature, feel free to tell me I'm wrong, lol.

I did not think to check if the same thing happened 2 Friday's ago where some uninsured jack*ss in front of me at the light slammed it into reverse w/o looking because he was too far past the lines, and slammed into my front bumper. I immediately put the car into park because I wasn't thinking, "Now would be a good time to test my theory..." but, "WTF???"

philipa_240sx

Nick 568 wrote:This usually happens after a somewhat large "jolt" to the vehicle. I've had this happen to me twice that I can recall. Drove down an incline on a driveway too fast, hit the even roadway fairly hard, and then I had no acceleration at all. Another time was last week when I was driving down a muddy off-road trail and hit a bump fairly hard. 'Tripped' the system, and had to just coast for a few feet before anything would happen.
Shutting off the vehicle and restarting it also solves the issue.
Hmmm, I've had something similar happen when driving on a loose surface (sand, gravel, snow). If you spin the tires too much, the system seems to go into this 'limp mode' and acceleration/power is reduced. It's only momentary and goes away within a few seconds. There could well be a protection mode built into the CVT that prevents damage under certain conditions. Perhaps this could explain what we are seeing? Unfortunately only the engineers at Nissan would know for sure....

Nick 568

Yeah, it's the exact same thing that happens--either sliding around a bunch, or a substantial 'jolt' to the vehicle.

skholla
Car: 09 Nissan Rogue SL, 97 Acura EL

my 09 rogue sl had this issue twice, once if not both times happened after the transmission update. once i was driving in the city and had the slam the brakes to stop for a red light, after that i had to almost floor the gas pedal to do 20kmph. the second time was after 2 hours of highway driving and i had to stop for the first traffic light off the highway, both times i remedied the issue by turning off the ignition and then re-starting the vehicle.

another time i had a slightly diff issue, half tank of gas but the rogue would not start after being parked for about 16 hours. i had to keep trying the ignition and pump the gas pedal to make to start. since then it was not happened again. pretty weird considering there was lots of gas left and i was parked on level ground.

stone
Car: ROGUE

i stop at a stop light. light turns green - vehicle goes no where when pushing the gas. rpms rev to 3,4,5K - my car is literally going MAYBE 5mph. mind you i'm in the middle of the intersection with my children in the car.
=======================================================================
2009 same happen to me once.

drspock
Car: 2010 Rogue FWD 360 edition
2007 Scion tC

I have had this exact problem as well in my 2010 Rogue FWD. The problem has only occurred after long periods of highway driving (~100+ miles) and after slowing down and not necessarily stopping the car seems to be stuck in overdrive. The car will rev up to ~3k RPM but the car does not accelerate. It feels as if you were riding the clutch and holding it half way in. Switching the car out of overdrive nor putting it in low gear nor flooring the accelerator has any effect. I have almost been in an accident because of it. I have not taken the car to the dealer yet, but will be taking it ASAP.

Leslie45
Car: nissan rogue 2010

I just bought a 2010 AWD Rogue last week and I experienced the same thing about three times now. This was just local driving, no highways yet. Although taking a trip on Monday and a little nervous about it now.
Feels like the car is going to die on me after accelerating after a stop. I really have to put on the gas for a few seconds to get it going normal again.
After reading these posts I decided to call a dealer to see if they have had similar problems with people bringing in their rogues. The guy there said no he never heard of it. He asked me if I had premium gas in it. I told him I didnt even fill up yet. Still has the gas the dealer put in it. He said to try putting premium in it. That the car requires high octain premium. So, I guess I will give that a try. Geez thought I would be saving money on the better gas milage. Guess I wont. :frown:
Please let me know if any of you had that problem and fixed it with the gas. Thanks.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

You definitely should not need premium gas. I wouldn't worry about that.

pa2
Car: 2010 AWD Rogue

Leslie45 wrote: After reading these posts I decided to call a dealer to see if they have had similar problems with people bringing in their rogues. The guy there said no he never heard of it. He asked me if I had premium gas in it. I told him I didnt even fill up yet. Still has the gas the dealer put in it. He said to try putting premium in it. That the car requires high octain premium.
I can tell you one thing and that is the guy who told you that does not know what he is talking about. :nono: Go back up and read my other post. I have not had any problems with my 2010 after the dealer put in a new valve body.

buffalorogue
Car: Nissan Rogue

For everyone having the "no accelation after highway driving" issue...take your car to the dealer and tell them to call Nissan if they've never heard of it. I am happy to report that I took a long drive this weekend and since getting the new transmission--NO PROBLEMS!

philipa_240sx

There is a tech bulletin #NTB09-148 dealing with the control valve assembly. The control valve is what directs/controls fluid within the transmission for the CVT pulley, torque converter, etc. Without proper control, the CVT will not work.

A similar bulletin was issued for the Sentra awhile back. Now it appears it's out for both the Altima and Rogue as well. This could be the cause of many of these 'sluggish' acceleration issues.
NTB09148 - SB Altima/Rogue/Sentra; MIL "ON" w/DTC P0840/P0845/P0744/P1777

* IF YOU CONFIRM Any of the following DTCs are stored in the TCM: - P0840 - P0845 - P0744 - P1777 ACTIONS Replace the Control Valve Assembly with the part listed in the Parts Information section of this bulletin. Reference SECTION TM, CONTROL VALVE Removal and Inspection in the appropriate ESM for directions. Erase the EEP ROM calibration data in the TCM and allow it to recalibrate. Reference NTB08-064; CVT AND 5 SPEED A/T INITIALIZATION INFORMATION for directions.

sheena
Car: 2007 Nissan Rogue

Im having the exact same problem with my 2007 rogue. Plus the Slip and VCD warning lights are also on. I took it to the Nissan service dept and after a week of having it they told me that they could not find anything wrong with it. No codes were coming up. I even had the foreman come test drive it with me, and he said there was obviously something wrong. Im bringing it in for the third time this week because i can not drive it. Its a safety issue. I have a baby in the back, and when i go to make left hand turns, i barely move, and at green lights i have people honking at me to go and swerving around me. HELP please!!!

kerrton

Weberrider wrote:The problem was a stop switch that tells the transmission that the car has stopped and must resume movement in a lower range in the transmission. The switch was failing and the trans did not get the signal that I had stopped. Basically like starting in 4th gear from a dead stop. Cost of repair was $158.00 and they did it in about 2 hours (they also did the steering recal)l.
Hi Sheena,

I think the advice above in this thread is a good start for addressing the sluggish performance. Mention it to your dealer as it was implemented as a solution in at least two cases documented in this thread.

In addition, the best advice I can give you is to calmly stress that this vehicle is huge safety hazard to you and your family and you do not want it returned until the issues is solved. FYI, if the service department acknowledges there is a problem - i.e. they duplicate the problem that you are having and they admit it is a problem, they must document and fix it, they cannot return a defective vehicle to you that is unsafe for the road. This applies to all vehicles, regardless if it's on warranty or not, the simple fact is that any certified service shop cannot let you drive away in a vehicle that they've diagnosed as unsafe. For example there are specific legislated minimum standards for brakes that service shops must respect, rotors that are beyond a certain thickness must be replaced or the vehicle is not road worthy. It sounds to me like your problems fall into this category, so please do not accept your vehicle back until it is fixed.

Also, your service dept. is very lazy, if they cannot determine the problem on their own, they know full well that they have access to the Nissan Tech. Service which provides engineering assesment and resolution of issues from Nissan experts. If they can't figure it out, all they have to do is give them a call and this is their standard operating procedure so don't buy it if they tell you otherwise. My service guys have called Tech Support twice already on my 2008 Rogue and I'm perfectly happy with that - I'd rather have someone working on my car who knows their limitations, knows when they're beat and isn't afraid to ask for help to get the job done right, rather than doing a bad job or even worse just avoiding any repair work.

Bottom line, take it in, don't take it back until it's fixed and please make sure you ask them SPECIFICALLY what the problem was and the solution, a good shop should ALWAYS tell the customer what was wrong with their vehicle and exactly what they did. Whether or not it's warranty work you have the right to know, and please post back here with the eventual outcome. Good luck.

kerrton

And regariding the ABS and VDC lights coming on, we've had a few reports of this, it's most likely a seperate issue than your acceleration problem, the problems were traced to faulty sensors or bad wiring to ABS sensors, all the details are in this thread:

post5390121.html?hilit=rogue%20abs%20lights#p5390121

This should give you lots of information when you take your car in, and really your service department should be able to diagnose and repair this themselves,especially if they use the Nissan Tech support. Be firm and make sure they fix it, and even more importantly FIX IT CORRECTLY, and the only way to know that is to talk to them and get all of the details. If they don't sound confident in what they've done, I wouldn't accept it, make it clear that you need a proper fix which is not asking too much.

sheena
Car: 2007 Nissan Rogue

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!!

Kerbear
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue Krom

The krom is back in again for this sluggish throttle after a long drive. RPMs rev with the foot to the floor and the car doesn't move.

Tech from corp. cam and he said that the throttle body needs to be replace because it get to hot after a long drive. He said tb fails to communcate with the transmission when it gets too hot. I hope this is a fix and not more smoke up the a$$

LadyRogue

I totally had this acceleration issue a while back. I would get going on the onramp of the interstate, it wouldn't go! I'd have to step on the pedal HARD for it to go anywhere! It didn't matter how long I was driving the car.

Drove it straight to the dealership. They hooked the fuel lines up to the pressure monitor system, and it would totally DROP pressure when they stepped on the gas. Dropped by a lot. Came to find out my Rogue was the FIRST reported FUEL PUMP FAILURE! Got it replaced and I've had no more issues with acceleration.

Seriously, if you're still having issues, have them connect their fuel line pressure monitors and have them rev it up!

Edited to add: This was AFTER the CVT reprogramming recall was completed. My issue was NOT RELATED to the transmission. I have an '08.
Last edited by LadyRogue on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

LadyRogue

I had acceleration issues not all that long ago...after the CVT reprogramming recall. I'd start to get on the onramp of the interstate and it wouldn't go! Had to push it to the floor for it to go anywhere. Drove it right to the dealership...no codes. They connected the fuel line pressure monitors to the fuel line and realized that my fuel pressure actually DROPPED when they stepped on the gas with the monitors on.

My Rogue ended up being Nissan's first reported fuel pump failure. But really...if this sounds like what your car is doing, have them check your fuel pressures and have them rev it up while connected to see what happens. Tell them it's a rare but reported issue.

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

Sweet jeebus! There are sure a lot of issues with the Rogue's transmission. This is not good for someone who is looking at purchasing one.

philipa_240sx

I'm have merged this 'Acceleration Problem' thread with the existing one as they discuss the same topic.

TonyJohn
Car: 2001 Sentra aspiring to be 2011 Rogue

by Juelze » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:25 am
Sweet jeebus! There are sure a lot of issues with the Rogue's transmission. This is not good for someone who is looking at purchasing one.
Hi Juelze,
You may have already figured it out by now (it takes a lot of reading threads!), but if you haven't, I'll save you some time.
From what I've read, these are basically "teething" (i.e. software, etc.) problems with the 08s and some 09s. I think the 10s are pretty well set and if you consider buying an 08 or 09 Rogue, make sure it has all the updates.
I'm anxiously awaiting the 2011 Rogue updates on Nissan's main US site, so I can see the new colors, etc.
Good luck!

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

Tony John, thanks for posting, I'm hoping to buy a Rogue very soon.

shelcassb

I have had this problem as well. My Rogue is having all kinds of issues actually. I am at 66K miles on a 2008, so out of warranty and poor service department as well. We did replace the filter. It happened occasionally for about a week, then almost consistent on a Sunday. We went to Walmart, (only place open) and bought an air filter that was exact same size and fit. (Of course, book didn't show any filter for the Rogue, as everything has to come from Nissan). That seems to have fixed THAT problem for now. I am taking it in to dealer tomorrow for a transmission issue, so hoping that the acceleration issue is fixed and not something more serious.

joebloggs123
Car: 2008 Nissan Rouge

Related issue and statement how it was resolved with my 2008 Nissan Rouge SL.

Experienced Slip and VDC light coming on for an extened period without any evidence of wheel spin followed by lack of power and acceleration during move off and travel. Local Nissan dealer unable to find fault code or replicate problem during 100 miles of driving.
Eventually managed to get the car to the dealer whilst experiencing the problem and they established to following fault code and resolution - below text is taken from the dealers job card

"Found C1116 in ABS. P0703 in trans and error message in ECU. Test brake lamp switch hanging up at times causing the problem. Was very intermitten and would not store code. PF26AA 0.3 replacement brake lamp switch"

They changed out part "25320-AX00C Switch Assy Sto" under warranty in 30 mins and stated that the problem was fixed. Apparantely they would not do anything without finding this code as Nissan would not cover under warranty. Be warned as I understand that this fault could result in the brake lights not working whilst the Slip and VDC light is on.

Woltermant
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

As far as the acceleration problem, make sure to buy the somewhat inexpensive (around $40 after tax) brake light switch and install it yourself. Its super easy and you can google how to change it out if you need to. Took me about 30 seconds and I'd never done it before. The problem seems to be fixed! I wish I would have tried this before spending $150 on a diagnostics test that didn't find anything. I even mentioned that I had read about the switch on this site and none of the mechanics thought it would solve the problem. They were wrong!

As far as recalls, I had only been informed of 1 simple recall but, once at the shop, the service manager found 8 recalls on this vehicle. He said it was the most he's ever found at once. You may want to look into this.

03MuranoSK
Car: 2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD

This is an older thread, but having a similar issue with my '03 Murano. I was driving yesterday doing some errands and everything seemed fine, then basically on my way home I noticed when I tried to accelerate after coming to a stop it would be very sluggish... then finally 'kick' in... like what the others have posted about... the only difference is when I got up to highway speeds, roughly 60mph the RPM's would go from just over 1500 to about 2000, then back down and repeat after a bit... (no inclines/declines). So I stopped at a garage and they checked the codes and it stated the transmission needed replacing :ohno: BUT what didn't make sense to me was after stopping there, it didn't act up for the remaining 30km drive. Drove a little bit today and it seemed ok too. Any suggestions?

03MuranoSK
Car: 2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD

Sorry just realized this is a Rogue forum, had come across it from Google, I'll look for an appropriate thread in the Murano forum

mariscott
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue

I have a 2016 NIssan Rogue and sometimes when I stop and then go to accelerate there is a pause. It just lasts a second and them I'm on my way. Is it a stop light switch on the brake pad assembly? And, do I have to get it fixed? I'm taking a 2000 kilometer round trip at the end of this month.

Return to “Rogue Forum”