300ZX 2JZ swap project car

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
WaddleDee72
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and I need some help with my project. A couple weeks ago, I bought a non-running 300ZX twin turbo that I intended to put a 2JZ into. Since I bought it, I've replaced a few cracked interior panels, I've fixed the glovebox, I've bought an R154 transmission, and I've taken out a lot of things in the engine compartment, and now I'm almost ready to lift out the engine.

Here are some pics:

Image << How it looked before I bought it

Image << How it looks now (in my garage) in its current state

My only concern is the engine mounts. I've searched all over the internet, and I can't find a definite answer on this. Some people say that they used the stock mounts, but that doesn't seem to make sense. I found some mounting brackets on this website >> http://freedengineering.com/online-shop ... mount-kit/ but $400 is a steep price to pay, and I'd rather find a cheaper way to do it. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated, as I'd like to get this car running as soon as I can. Thanks!

CaleJDMZ32
Car: 1990 Fairlady Z
RHD 5 Speed 2+2 TT

if your spending the money to put a 2jz into a Z and $400 is too steep for engine mounts id look into a different project

WaddleDee72

Well it's too late to turn back; I've already started the project. I think that $400 is a lot to pay for some solid pieces of metal, but if that's my only option, I would be willing to pay it.

Can anyone confirm that these mounts work? I want to make sure they are legit before I buy them, and, also, I've heard that the aristo 2jz and the supra 2jz have different mounts. Does anyone know if that's true?

t.mcginley.jr
Car: 2002 Altima 3.5SE
1990 300zx NA 2+0
1966 Mustang

A 2JZ swap into a z32 is definitely a challenge, only a handful of people have done it. Those motor mount bracket look very similar to stock VG ones so I'm assuming they did some R&D to come up with that final product. $400 is a bit steep but that's probably to cover that R&D cost. I know it's too late but a RB or VH swap would probably have been easier or at least there would be more info about it. Anyone who has done this swap probably made their own mounts or had someone make them custom. If you have a youtube/gmail account try messaging the user "2JZ32" on youtube, he's done the swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2N0Xr2BiGU

WaddleDee72

Thanks for the advice; I sent him a message, so I'll be awaiting his reply.

Specj

I havent started my project either, but I did contact freed engineering about these mounts and they seem very confident about them.

This is the car
http://www.modified.com/features/modp-1 ... ewall.html

You could easily built mounts cheap if you have a welder. Most of the custom mounts iv seen are either built from scratch or a chopped version of the aristo/supra mount.

WaddleDee72

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll end up going with the freed engineering mounts, since it would be a lot easier to just buy them already made instead of finding supra mounts and welding them myself. Now I just have to get an engine... Hopefully I'll find one by the end of the month, but I'll update this thread with my progress.

WaddleDee72

Hey everyone, I know that it's been a long time since my last post, but, unfortunately, progress has been rather slow. If people are interested and want to see how this project turns out, I'll keep this thread up to date with my progress. If you're really interested and want this project to move along quickly, you can help me out by buying the parts from my Z. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who buys any part. I'm selling everything from the VG30DETT motor and I'll be gutting most of the interior, so I'm selling all the interior panels and carpets. I live in Southern California, but if you don't live nearby, I'd be happy to ship the parts to you.

Anyways...

Since my last post, I've done a couple things:

I went ahead and bought the freed engineering engine mounting brackets. Unfortunately, they tell me that I will have to wait awhile because they are waiting to get a batch back from the powder-coaters.

I spray-painted the brake calipers red with high-temp paint and then I touched up the Nissan logo and made it white using a paintbrush. It's not a super professional job, but it's good enough for me :)

I'm still in the process of taking the transmission out of the 300ZX. I wrenched all the bolts off of the bellhousing except for the last one, which is the bolt on the top right of the bellhousing. I can't see it from under the car, and I can't see it from the engine bay. Does anyone have any advice for this?

I finally got my R154 transmission in the mail. It took a really long time, and the seller who I bought it from on craigslist overcharged me $30 for shipping. It's not ideal, but it could've been worse.

I FINALLY BOUGHT MY 2JZ!!! Unwrapping it from the plastic made me feel like a child unwrapping a present on Christmas morning.

I removed the A/C compressor from the 2JZ, as I hate air conditioning and am removing the whole A/C system from the Z. Then I put a smaller belt on to compensate for the deletion of the A/C pulley.

Removed the automatic transmission from the 2JZ, but the torque converter would not come off, so we had to use a reciprocating saw to cut it off the flywheel

Here's the torque converter, which my friends and I have affectionately named the "doughnut" since it looks like one. It is in its final state detached from the engine

Here's what the engine looks like with the flywheel and torque converter removed

I ordered $1,400 worth of parts last night from driftmotion.com, so I'll add some more pictures when they get here and I install them!!!

Also, as a side note: The 2JZ-GTE that I bought is from an Aristo, which has a front sump. The VG30DETT has a rear sump. Should I convert my 2JZ to the rear sump from the Supra or should I leave it as it is? Any suggestions?

Specj

keep the updates bud. Your going to need a rear sump pan and your also going to have to notch the front cross member.

t.mcginley.jr
1990 300zx NA 2+0
1966 Mustang

That's weird that the torque converter wouldn't come off, I'm assuming you unbolted it first? lol

WaddleDee72

We could only get two of the bolts off, so we had to cut the rest off. Cutting them actually went a lot faster than trying to unbolt them, since they were really rusted on the flywheel

WaddleDee72

I finally got the transmission out today!!! The whole time I was trying to get the top right bolt from the wrong angle. Anyways, once we dropped the transmission down, we realized it wouldn't fit out of the car

so we had to take off the bellhousing to get it out from under the car.

A pretty successful day I must say. Hopefully I can get the engine out tomorrow.
Last edited by WaddleDee72 on Mon May 27, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaddleDee72

I finally got the engine out!!!

Here's a picture of the Z's empty engine bay

Last edited by WaddleDee72 on Mon May 27, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aroche25
Car: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Looking for a Z32 Slicktop

Sweet update, Keep up the good work, Im interested to see the outcome. I too am planning on doing this in a few months myself.

t.mcginley.jr
1990 300zx NA 2+0
1966 Mustang

I'll buy that TT oil pan off of you! lol

WaddleDee72

t.mcginley.jr wrote:I'll buy that TT oil pan off of you! lol
is that sarcasm?

t.mcginley.jr
1990 300zx NA 2+0
1966 Mustang

Nope I really need a TT oil pan for my swap lol

WaddleDee72

Does $100 sound good for the oil pan? Pm me about the details

WaddleDee72

Let the weight reduction begin!!!

WaddleDee72

Sorry for the delay. Lately, progress has been slow as I am waiting for a lot of parts. The water pump on the Aristo 2JZ is different from the Supra 2JZ, and in order to change the water pump, you need to remove the crankshaft pulley, which requires a special Toyota tool, which I am waiting for in the mail. Anyways, here is the stuff I got from driftmotion:

A - Fan
B - Lightweight Flywheel
C - USDM Water Pump
D - Lightweight Aluminium Pulleys
E - Fan Clutch
F - Stock Clutch Disc & Stage 2 Pressure Plate
G - Bearings for the transmission

Pretty cool stuff. I'm still waiting for the mounts from freed engineering (it's taking a reeeealllllyyy long time), so when those get here I can finally fit the engine in the engine bay and do all the fitting stuff with the oil pan.

Also, I got most of the sound deadening off of the transmission tunnel using liquid nitrogen. Dry ice was not cold enough for this part, and there was no way to keep the dry ice in place on a vertical surface like this. Liquid nitrogen is cheap, at five dollars a liter, but the containers are very expensive. Luckily I was able to borrow a liquid nitrogen container from a friend so that I wouldn't have to pay $800 for one.
I'm hoping to eventually sand off the remnants of all that black tar gunk and repaint the entire interior with a plain gray color. I think that would look nice.

An afterthought: If you are thinking about attempting this swap, you might like to know that I've already gone way over the original budget that I set, even though I thought I had everything planned out in the beginning. So keep that in mind. Also, it's a very stressful and time-consuming project, and it will take over your life if you decide to do it. :)

veaterszx
Car: 1990 300zx 2+0 n/a

Please keep me updated on this please!! Im about to do mine this winter!!

WaddleDee72

Sorry for the delay in posting, I was on vacation, and I've only been back for about a week or so. Anyways, since I've gotten back, here's what I've done:

I finally got the freed engineering mounting brackets in the mail, and I've installed them onto the engine

I've taken out all the A/C and heater crap from the interior of the car

and here it is in the trash

Now, I'm trying to fit the engine inside the engine bay,

which is proving to be rather difficult. It's a really tight fit, and it looks like I have to cut up the oil pan. Sorry for the crappy quality iPhone pics; at the moment I didn't have time to get my real camera.

Also, if you live in the So Cal area and have done this kind of stuff before and want to help out with the project, even for just a day or two, I'd really appreciate it. Pm me for details

t.mcginley.jr
1990 300zx NA 2+0
1966 Mustang

I'm not sure about the 2JZ oil pan, but when people swap in vh45's they have to notch the crossmember so that the oil pan fits. Props for getting this far though! Do you also have the ecu and wiring harness for the 2jz?

WaddleDee72

Hmm that's smart. It never occurred to me that you could cut the crossmember, but I think I may do that now. We'll see. Anyways, I do have the Aristo ECU and wiring harness, but I'm not using them. Instead I bought a ProEFI 128 ECU and I'm doing the wiring harness myself.

2j300zx
Car: 300zx

I can assure you a front sump Aristo engine will fit in a 300zx, but you need to cut the crossmember - ask me how I know :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

and some pictures of the cut crossmember -

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/thegre ... ary/2jz300

Cant PM for some reason.... if you can PM me - please do. Would like to keep in contact with you.

WaddleDee72

Wow!!! Awesome to have someone on this thread who has actually done this before!!! Unfortunately, I can't view the links to your photos that are on facebook, but I can see the other photos, so I guess I'll have to add notching the crossmember to the next thing on my to-do list.

Anyways, I've realized why I'm having trouble fitting the engine in. The mounting points are offset on the chassis of the car. You can sort of see what I'm talking about in this picture >> Image

What frustrates me is that the freed engineering mounts specifically designed for this project don't account for this offset. In order to screw the engine in, I would need to put it in the car at an angle. I've sent freed engineering an e-mail, since their phone line doesn't work, so hopefully I'll get a reply soon. Orignally I bought the mounts because I thought it would be impossible to try and weld them myself while keeping the engine level and making sure it's low enough and far back enough, but now I'm having second thoughts about that. If freed can't solve my problem, hopefully they'll take their mounts back and issue me a refund...

2j300zx
Car: 300zx

Yes there are many pictures on my Facebook -
Last edited by 2j300zx on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaddleDee72

I have private messages enabled, and I've received private messages from other members before. Check your settings; I think because you're new to the forums you have to confirm your account by e-mail or something like that

t.mcginley.jr
1990 300zx NA 2+0
1966 Mustang

2j300zx wrote:I can assure you a front sump Aristo engine will fit in a 300zx, but you need to cut the crossmember - ask me how I know :)

Cant PM for some reason.... if you can PM me - please do. Would like to keep in contact with you.
You need to have at least 10 posts to use the PM feature.

gaara4ife

are you using a front sump 2jz or a rear sump? I am doing the same thing to my 2+2 300zx but installing a 2jzge fully built with precision sc61s turbo rated for 700hp+, but have no clue if a rear sump works. If a rear sump will fit can anyone confirm, it would be greatly appreciated before I buy a gte rear sump oil pump.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”