2004 Pathfinder Overhead Console Upgrade

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Saltshaker
Car: 2004 Pathfinder SE

Well I thought I would post my results so that perhaps other may find this useful. I went through many posts to figure this out so perhaps this one will simplify it to the only one you may need. My '04 Pathfinder did not have a sun roof nor did it have the temp/compass display but since I liked that feature, this is what I did.

First I purchased the overhead console on ebay. Average cost is about 50 bucks. From what I can tell, the consoles all look the same from 1996-2004. Mine came from a '02 so I don't know if earlier years will work but I suspect they might.Next is to inspect your car for wiring and the ambient air sensor. Most cars are prewired for this option but some are not. In the front of the radiator under the hood, you should see where the air sensor for climate control is.If you are lucky there might be a second one for the display unit. This was not the case for me but you should see the extra electrical plug for it. Fortunately you can buy the part (part # 27710-31U00). I did see this on ebay but I got it for less at autozone (part # SU6102) for 40 bucks.

Next you will need to check for the wiring the runs to the roof where the console is. Remove the overhead console, there is a screw in the sunglasses compartment. Each corner is held in by 4 snaps ,so gently pull down to pop them out.If you are lucky you will see and extra 8-pin connector there. Mine was not wired. You may be able to find the extra harness from a junk yard or something but the odds are slim nor do I know the part number for it.

Next,there should be a 6-pin connection for the display unit behind the glove box off the main harness. To find it, remove the bottom pivot pins to pull the glove box out and then remove the screws for the front trim molding on the dash and the golve box housing.About 8 screws in all.

By taking the glove box off, I found the 6-pin connector. You may have to look real hard. There were two other unused sockets as well. One had about 10 pins in it, the other was 3 pins. I dont know what they were for but you want the 6 pin connector which I almost overlooked because it was clipped onto the firewall just where the power runs up around the dash to the a-frame. I was able to get that off so I could now run the wire to it. One thing to note: on my '04, the 6 pin connector only had 5 wires inside of it (White w/Blue Stripe,2x Green w/ Red Strip, Pink w/Green Stripe, Blue w/Black Strip). But the compass/temp unit requires 6 wires. The missing wire appears to be the black wire for ground which you can tap off of from the lights in the overhead console.
It should be noted that one wire in the original harness from the console changes to Green w/Red Stripe. So you will see two wires that are the same at the 6-pin connector. Since one of them is the main power. I double checked it with the multimeter with the ignition on and found the proper Green w/Red stripe that was hot. When looking at the connector the hot wire was all the way to right on the end.I believe the hot wire is on pin 6. If you do not get power from either of the green wires, be sure to check that you have a 10a fuse that is required in #9 of the block. Lastly since the one wire is missing, you will need a ground to go to the display. You can either tap in off the ground from the extra 3 pin connector behind the glove box or just use the ground up by lights in the console. That was the option I took.

Now you will need to remove the cover for the a-frame and fish 5 small gauge wires (I ran a 8 conductor wire) from console area to the a-frame, then down along the a-frame to the glove box. You can easily pop the cover off the a-frame, its held in by two pins.

Next step is to splice in your wires. Splice the proper colors from the 6-pin below at the glove box to the correct pin locations on the display unit connector and thats it. Splicing in under the dash for me was a royal pain since I used Scotch Locks and took the longest time.If you can find a proper female connector to use with your new wire then do it and save the time. At the console location, I used quick disconnect butt connectors. I cut the connector off by cutting each wire individually and labeling the pin number for each wire. Do not cut all the wires at once. This is important if you cut the connector off since all the wires are black and there is no easy way to know which one is which.
According to the FSM electrical diagram, downloadable from here, these are the wires that connect at to the display unit connector:
On the display unit which has 6 black wires is a 8-pin plug (2 pins missing):
Pin 1 = White w/Blue Stripe - to Speed Sensor, I believe
Pin 2 = Black - Ground (Not present in the 6-pin connector at the glove box area)
Pin 3 = Yellow w/Black Strip > Green w/ Red Strip - Air Sensor (color changes in the original harness from the to console to glove box)
Pin 5 = Pink w/Green Stripe - Illumination
Pin 7 = Green w/Red stripe - Ignition Power On (from pin 6 on the connector behind the glove box)
Pin 8 = Blue w/Black Strip - Air Sensor

Lastly, test it all out. It make take an hour for the temp to be proper and the compass can be calibrated as well by holding the mode button for 5 seconds and selecting the right area you area in. You'll need the FSM manual to find the proper number for your area. Put everything back together and you are done. The only other thing I did was remove the sunroof buttons, since I dont have one, and put the plastic cover plate from my old console to cover up where the buttons go and that's it. Hope this helps you out. Please post your thoughts, results, comments, or suggestions if this does help.

iceman14n
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

that is awsome dude, i did something similar to my QX4, it didnt have an auto dimming mirror, so i went to the junk yard, took the mirror off the i30 and did some wire tapping in the same port that you showed and viola..

Saltshaker

iceman14n wrote:that is awsome dude, i did something similar to my QX4, it didnt have an auto dimming mirror, so i went to the junk yard, took the mirror off the i30 and did some wire tapping in the same port that you showed and viola..
I wouldnt mind having an auto-dom mirror. I may just look into getting one with just that feature and seeing if I can modify it to the car.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

I was actually thinking about the possibility of doing this should I find an OHC at a junkyard. Thanks for the write-up!

Saltshaker

Towncivilian wrote:I was actually thinking about the possibility of doing this should I find an OHC at a junkyard. Thanks for the write-up!
No problem. If you are lucky you may find one locally but ebay was the best resource for me...good luck. :)

Finkle
Car: 2004 Pathfinder Platinum LE 4x4

How much power is up there, all 12 volts? You could do all kinds of stuff knowing where the power and grounds are.

SBK03SE
Car: 03 Pathy SE RWD Fully Loaded

I want an auto-dimming mirror. If anyone gets this done, please DIY Write up... TIA

Saltshaker

SBK03SE wrote:I want an auto-dimming mirror. If anyone gets this done, please DIY Write up... TIA
I will be doing one soon, but it will be auto dimming only since I already have the compass/temp console option installed. However it will still be tricky because the Pathfinder has the pivot ball mount on the top of the mirror and most mount on the rear. Since I do not want to mount to the windshield, I will be doing a special mod to get this to install on the original mount. If it all works out, I post the results.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

iceman14n wrote:that is awsome dude, i did something similar to my QX4, it didnt have an auto dimming mirror, so i went to the junk yard, took the mirror off the i30 and did some wire tapping in the same port that you showed and viola..
Do you know what year i30s are compatible? Is it something that came standard in the i30?

ltsnotme
Car: 1996 Pathfinder XE 4WD

I don't seem to have the 6-pin connector in my '96, even though there are two extra air-sensor connectors at the front. Doesn't make sense, but I've looked everywhere (behind the glove box that is). There's only one unused 3-pin socket, and that's it. Could it be anywhere else?

asnorton44

Went to the junkyard today and picked up an auto dimming mirror from a Q45. Don't know if it will work in the QX4 but worth a try. Still trying to figure out how to wire it.

Also grabbed the ballasts and igniters which is great because my ballast crapped out last week.

The wires coming from my mirror are a bit different then the i30 conversion threads I have read. Here is a pic of the dim mirror:

According to the FSM electrical diagram, downloadable from here, these are the wires that connect at to the display unit connector:
On the display unit which has 6 black wires is a 8-pin plug (2 pins missing):
What section of the FSM is this in?

Saltshaker

Finkle wrote:How much power is up there, all 12 volts? You could do all kinds of stuff knowing where the power and grounds are.
yup, 12 volts, switched and constant. I will be adding the vanity lights mirrored visor with homelink so I'll be running more wire to that same area.

Saltshaker

ltsnotme wrote:I don't seem to have the 6-pin connector in my '96, even though there are two extra air-sensor connectors at the front. Doesn't make sense, but I've looked everywhere (behind the glove box that is). There's only one unused 3-pin socket, and that's it. Could it be anywhere else?
The 96 did come with that option so it has to be in the main harness..I thought someone here posted a response to a similar thread where they hard wired the whole thing which you may have to do. But if you have both sensors up front, it would make sense that it would be for this option even if the console was never installed, there would have to be some point of connection somewhere. After looking at the FSM electrical diagram on the 96 Pathfinder, it should be there...the connector (M62) is circled below:

It could be buried up there, perhaps behind the a-frame molding. Take that off and look down into the dash. I assume you already took the glove box out like my pics above? Needless to say its way up there in the dash.

ltsnotme

Yeah, I took everything off, including the a-pillar molding, twice already. The M63 is there, going to the interior lights, and the M69 is the unused socket for the power antenna option, but no sight of M62. I guess I'll do it again tomorrow, see if it appears overnight.

Saltshaker

ltsnotme wrote:Yeah, I took everything off, including the a-pillar molding, twice already. The M63 is there, going to the interior lights, and the M69 is the unused socket for the power antenna option, but no sight of M62. I guess I'll do it again tomorrow, see if it appears overnight.
Mine was attached way up high just before it goes up around to the a-pillar, I didnt see it the first two times I looked. Third time was the charm, I just saw the back of it. Still wasnt sure, since I can grab the main harness with my hand, I felt along the top of it and knew it was more wires running off if it. But again, it was tough and way up there. I guess its possible that part of the harness is not there based on the model of the car..I just have to assume that they are all the same.

asnorton44

Got some extra i30 dim rear view mirrors if anyone is interested. The left mirror is from a newer i30 and mounts on the windshield and has digital readout.

Saltshaker

ltsnotme wrote:Yeah, I took everything off, including the a-pillar molding, twice already. The M63 is there, going to the interior lights, and the M69 is the unused socket for the power antenna option, but no sight of M62. I guess I'll do it again tomorrow, see if it appears overnight.
After reading some other related threads, its very possible the XE models did not have that option so the connector may not be there. One thread from another board had a user that spliced in all the wiring and offered a write up on how to do it. Although the thread is a few years old so I dont know if they are still available to provide the info needed. But needless to say it can be done. I suspect some of it would not be too bad. Switched power,illumination and ground would be easy. The others may have to be run up through the firewall to splice in...I recall seeing pictures of this done somewhere but cant find it now.
From another thread:
"The VSS wire to splice into it white with a blue stripe. When you remove the cluster from the dash, turn the cluster over and the plug on the far right had the wire you are looking for, it's on the bottom row and the 3rd position in from the right."

As far as the temp sensor wires, I dont know where they go from the unit to the main harness but you could always run new wire to it.

asnorton44

Installed:

Required some cutting but other then that pretty straight forward. It does have alot more play then my stock rear view, I wonder if there is a way to tighten it for when I have my subs blasting. Pretty sure it is wired correctly, the buttons illuminate but I haven't fixed my headlight yet so not going to do any night driving. Color of the unit is a bit different but not really noticeable.
Last edited by asnorton44 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltsnotme

Well, I went to a junk yard today, and found a '99 LE with the console installed. So I looked where the connector was, and yeah, I don't have it. I got the console and the harness anyway, even though it was gray and my interior is tan. Maybe I can match the paint, if I actually figure out how to wire it. Got a couple of temp. sensors too, which are, apparently, pre-wired for in the XE:

I guess I have the E33 to E1 section, and am missing M1 to M62. I guess I'll see if I can wire it.

ltsnotme

asnorton44 wrote:Installed:

Required some cutting but other then that pretty straight forward. It does have alot more play then my stock rear view, I wonder if there is a way to tighten it for when I have my subs blasting. Pretty sure it is wired correctly, the buttons illuminate but I haven't fixed my headlight yet so not going to do any night driving. Color of the unit is a bit different but not really noticeable.
How did you end up wiring it?

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

ltsnotme wrote:Well, I went to a junk yard today, and found a '99 LE with the console installed. So I looked where the connector was, and yeah, I don't have it. I got the console and the harness anyway, even though it was gray and my interior is tan. Maybe I can match the paint, if I actually figure out how to wire it. Got a couple of temp. sensors too, which are, apparently, pre-wired for in the XE:

I guess I have the E33 to E1 section, and am missing M1 to M62. I guess I'll see if I can wire it.
If you end up not needing the console its related hardware, I'll gladly take it. The junkyards local to me are pretty spartan.

ltsnotme

Towncivilian wrote:
ltsnotme wrote:Well, I went to a junk yard today, and found a '99 LE with the console installed. So I looked where the connector was, and yeah, I don't have it. I got the console and the harness anyway, even though it was gray and my interior is tan. Maybe I can match the paint, if I actually figure out how to wire it. Got a couple of temp. sensors too, which are, apparently, pre-wired for in the XE:

If you end up not needing the console its related hardware, I'll gladly take it. The junkyards local to me are pretty spartan.
Yeah, ours aren't very pathfinder-rich either. This was actually the first time I found something. But yeah, if it doesn't work out for me, I'll let you know.

Saltshaker

How much did all of that cost? It was probably less than getting in ebay but there are plenty of tan consoles there. I have no doubt you can wire it up, it will just be a little more tricky trying to find where to splice in for the temp and speed sensor, but again it has been done before. Let me know how it comes along.

Saltshaker

asnorton44 wrote:Installed:
That looks cool...I bought a auto dim mirror which is an old Gentex that I was going to modify to the Pathfinfer mount but I do wonder would that mirror fit in a Pathfinder? Is that what you mounted it in ?

iceman14n
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4

ASNORTON you need to get one of those 2inch rubber pipe. if you notice the back of the mirror where the buttons are, there is a little tiny nob that i always wondered what it was for (even in the old mirror), that is to push the mirror away from the windshield so it stays firm and reduce play.

I had one before that i took from the junkyard but i cut it up for the old mirror and now i need to get another one.

asnorton44

iceman14n wrote:ASNORTON you need to get one of those 2inch rubber pipe. if you notice the back of the mirror where the buttons are, there is a little tiny nob that i always wondered what it was for (even in the old mirror), that is to push the mirror away from the windshield so it stays firm and reduce play.

I had one before that i took from the junkyard but i cut it up for the old mirror and now i need to get another one.
Yeah I have that rubber piece installed. There is a screw under the rubber cover that I will need to tighten so that the mirror cannot be adjusted as much.
ltsnotme wrote:How did you end up wiring it?
Black > Ground
Red/Yellow > Illumination
Green/Blue > Ignition
Blue/Red > Didn't connect. Maxima threads say it goes to the light switch fuse #18 7.5A in the fuse panel which is by the hood release.
If you dont care about the buttons lighting up and or dimming when you turn the headlights on then you dont have to worry about the red/yellow or red/blue wires, you can just hook up the ground wire to a good ground and the green/blue to a 12v source and it should work.
Saltshaker wrote:That looks cool...I bought a auto dim mirror which is an old Gentex that I was going to modify to the Pathfinfer mount but I do wonder would that mirror fit in a Pathfinder? Is that what you mounted it in ?
Mounted in a QX4, bolted right in.

Saltshaker

asnorton44 wrote:
iceman14n wrote:ASNORTON you need to get one of those 2inch rubber pipe. if you notice the back of the mirror where the buttons are, there is a little tiny nob that i always wondered what it was for (even in the old mirror), that is to push the mirror away from the windshield so it stays firm and reduce play.

Yeah I have that rubber piece installed. There is a screw under the rubber cover that I will need to tighten so that the mirror cannot be adjusted as much.
ltsnotme wrote:How did you end up wiring it?
Black > Ground
Red/Yellow > Illumination
Green/Blue > Ignition
Blue/Red > Didn't connect. Maxima threads say it goes to the light switch fuse #18 7.5A in the fuse panel which is by the hood release.
If you dont care about the buttons lighting up and or dimming when you turn the headlights on then you dont have to worry about the red/yellow or red/blue wires, you can just hook up the ground wire to a good ground and the green/blue to a 12v source and it should work.
Saltshaker wrote:That looks cool...I bought a auto dim mirror which is an old Gentex that I was going to modify to the Pathfinfer mount but I do wonder would that mirror fit in a Pathfinder? Is that what you mounted it in ?
Mounted in a QX4, bolted right in.

You could tap all those off the console...I may try one of those mirrors. I may be interested in the extra one you have...Ive never used one so, What is the "Day" button do? Does that turn it off during the day, i assume?

ltsnotme

Saltshaker wrote:

How much did all of that cost? It was probably less than getting in ebay but there are plenty of tan consoles there. I have no doubt you can wire it up, it will just be a little more tricky trying to find where to splice in for the temp and speed sensor, but again it has been done before. Let me know how it comes along.
The console was $10, the harness $7, and the temp. sensor $1. I guess they didn't really know what it was and charged it as a "Harness Connection". I also got a rear washer nozzle for 75 cents as "Nuts & Bolts".

Saltshaker

ltsnotme wrote: The console was $10, the harness $7, and the temp. sensor $1. I guess they didn't really know what it was and charged it as a "Harness Connection". I also got a rear washer nozzle for 75 cents as "Nuts & Bolts".
Thats a great deal...wish I could find a better junk yard around here.

Saltshaker

asnorton44 wrote:Got some extra i30 dim rear view mirrors if anyone is interested. The left mirror is from a newer i30 and mounts on the windshield and has digital readout.
How much do you want for the older one on the right?

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”