1990 Nissan Skyline - Just bought

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd be glad to... in fact, a good friend right up the road is real experienced with them as well, so you could get a 2-for-1.

Schedule is super-hairy for the next 4 weeks, but shoot me an email (greg at nicoclub dot com) and we'll go have a bite and play with cars. :)

crainbow
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R

So starting my rehab of the Skyline. My plan is to drive it, rust or not, and enjoy it. I will worry about the body later, right now I just want to get it running.

So here is what I am working on and what needs to be replaced:

-Front Left CV Axle
-Front Left Camber Adjuster thing...
-Front Left Trailing Arm thing...
-Air filter that will fit HKS pipe upgrade from PO (previous owner)

Also the previous owner installed an HID kit that has seemed to have failed... I am planning on replacing with one of those cheap HID kids from ebay but I cant figure out the size, H1 or H3 and is it 55w or 35w?

Any help with the project would be greatly appreciated.

crainbow

Anyone know about the lights?

kabob
Car: 1990 Skyline GTR R32

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/154852-r32-g ... guide.html
Pre-91 Projectors (raised rings around the projector and main beam)
Sidelight : T10/501
Projector : H3c
Highbeam : H3
Front-left driveshaft: http://justjap.com/genuine-nissan-drive ... hange.html

Adjustable front upper camber arms are all over eBay; just do a search. Or you can buy them off of members on GTRCanada, Skylineowners.com, gtr.co.uk

I'm assuming you mean the lower control arm when you say "lower trailing arm thingy": http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyli ... 0731266083

HKS filter: http://thmotorsports.com/i-238436.aspx? ... oCwCbw_wcB

kabob

No offense, guy, but all that was a five minute Google search. Are you sure you can handle GTR ownership?

crainbow

kabob wrote:No offense, guy, but all that was a five minute Google search. Are you sure you can handle GTR ownership?
Haha thanks for the confidence man. I found that same site, but what I cant figure out from it and still don't know is if the bulbs are 35W or 55W on the Skyline. I got they are H3 bulbs, but don't know the correct wattage... anyone have ideas on that?

crainbow

kabob wrote:http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/154852-r32-g ... guide.html

Adjustable front upper camber arms are all over eBay; just do a search. Or you can buy them off of members on GTRCanada, Skylineowners.com, gtr.co.uk

I'm assuming you mean the lower control arm when you say "lower trailing arm thingy": http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Skyli ... 0731266083

Thank you for the response. That site for the driveshaft was exactly what I was looking for and struggling to find.

However I am looking for the bracket to mount the air filter as mine seems to not be there... I can upload pictures of this if that helps. all I have is the MAF on the end of the intake. Need to put a filter that atttaches to the MAF

kabob

crainbow wrote:
kabob wrote:No offense, guy, but all that was a five minute Google search. Are you sure you can handle GTR ownership?
Haha thanks for the confidence man. I found that same site, but what I cant figure out from it and still don't know is if the bulbs are 35W or 55W on the Skyline. I got they are H3 bulbs, but don't know the correct wattage... anyone have ideas on that?
From what I've been able to dig up, they're H3C 55w bulbs (not H3).

crainbow

Alright, Ill see what I can find on that... Thanks man!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd throw a cheap ebay foam filter on the end of the MAF and call it good.

kabob

Careful, OP. I just now looked through your pics and there's no way that car is road-safe. You don't already have it in your possession and registered yet, do you? It's not 2015 yet.

crainbow

AZhitman wrote:I'd throw a cheap ebay foam filter on the end of the MAF and call it good.
I havent been able to find anything that would bolt onto MAF. Wish it was just a tube hose clamp fitting on it.

crainbow

kabob wrote:Careful, OP. I just now looked through your pics and there's no way that car is road-safe. You don't already have it in your possession and registered yet, do you? It's not 2015 yet.
Road Safe? In terms of the damage, yeah I am definitely going to fix everything before its driven. Is there something else you are getting at by road-safe though?

It is registered in Illinois.

kabob

I'm referring to the extensive rust and rot damage to the wheel wells and suspension mounting points. As mentioned above, it looks like the unibody is compromised. crainbow, I know you think you got a good price and have already fallen in love with this car, but that's not even a legal-to-own vehicle. Just because it's state-registered in Illinois does not mean that it's Fed legal. You had to have imported it properly via US Customs and Border Protection and that means waiting 25 years for FMVSS and EPA exemptions. You're at risk for forfeiture and fines if a Federal agency gets wind of it. I'd strongly recommend you part it out to make a profit if possible and find and import legally a more legit R32.

AZhitman
Administrator

^...and, of course, there's that.

crainbow

The wheel well and suspension mounting point rust I will have to fix before it is driven. Because I got it for the price I did, I am ok driving it in not tip top condition (cosmetically). I plan on getting it to a safe level to drive and then driving it. It looks like a fun car and enjoyable to drive. I want to have fun with working on it and driving it. Like most cars I own I will likely sell it in a few years, not planning on making a lot of money on it. I have seen cars in a lot worse condition (I drive an $800 Volvo 850...). Its a fun project to me and hopefully fun to drive.

And it most likely will not be driven to well into 2015.

I got the opportunity to own a skyline, I do not pay up for nice cars and would not be someone who would import a car, so this is a fun project and I got a cool opportunity.

kabob

I don't think you understand. It's already been imported illegally. It doesn't revert to legal status once 2015 rolls around. You had to have imported it properly in the first place and been given a bond release by CBP. Anyways, good luck.

crainbow

No I totally get what you guys are saying. I am aware of that, but there is just some information about this vehicle's history that I do not want to share on this public forum. There is stuff in the history of this vehicle that make it more legal to own in the US and I am working on making it completely legal, however I am choosing not to share that information on this public forum. I understand the legalities of it and I have addressed it. I appreciate everyone's concern for me as well, but I would like to focus on the getting it running and driving part on here if thats ok.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If it doesn't have a bond release, whatever you were told, it's not right. Everybody thinks they have the trick figured out, but it's always themselves they tricked. Good luck at any rate. Even if it was fully legal the amount of corrosion you have there is past the point of saving.

crainbow

themadscientist wrote:If it doesn't have a bond release, whatever you were told, it's not right. Everybody thinks they have the trick figured out, but it's always themselves they tricked. Good luck at any rate. Even if it was fully legal the amount of corrosion you have there is past the point of saving.
Thanks, I am still debating it. Might just get it to a safe point to drive... might try and tackle body work myself... not sure yet. I know its probably not worth it to pay a shop.

It looks fun and I would really love to drive it, but there is a lot of rust.

crainbow

Does anyone know if this car shares suspension with any US sold cars?

crainbow

kabob wrote:http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/154852-r32-g ... guide.html

Also JustJap.com will not ship outside of Australia... So that's out. On the hunt for a CV Axle again...

kabob

AZhitman wrote:First glance (mostly 'obvious' stuff):

According to the serial #, that car was originally a Lightning Yellow GT-R V-spec. I don't see any evidence of yellow paint under the black, so I'd be looking REAL close for some welding evidence.
I believe you misread the chassis plate. According to epc-data.com, his car is a Dec 1989 car (not 1990) in Diamond Black Pearl Metallic so that's the original color and with that much paint corrosion, I'd say that it's the original paint. V-Spec R32s didn't come about until 1993 and I only remember R34s coming in Lightning Yellow.

http://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/bnr3 ... R32-004320

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

kabob wrote:
AZhitman wrote: According to the serial #, that car was originally a Lightning Yellow GT-R V-spec. I don't see any evidence of yellow paint under the black, so I'd be looking REAL close for some welding evidence.
I believe you misread the chassis plate. According to epc-data.com, his car is a Dec 1989 car (not 1990) in Diamond Black Pearl Metallic so that's the original color and with that much paint corrosion, I'd say that it's the original paint. V-Spec R32s didn't come about until 1993 and I only remember R34s coming in Lightning Yellow.

http://nissan.epc-data.com/skyline/bnr3 ... R32-004320
This
crainbow wrote:Does anyone know if this car shares suspension with any US sold cars?
This car is 50% S13, 40% Z32, and 10% R32. it shares a lot of its suspension with the S13. The front struts and upper control arms are different. the Front Upper control arms are the same as the Z32, the entire rear suspension is identical to the S13.

I have no idea what witch craft you intend on using to try and make this car legal, other than to take out of this country and cross the board back with it the right way. whatever the case, I would say there is almost no value in doing so as the car is far gone. I couldn't even imagine trying to repair all of that cancer.

As for axles, you could get them through GTRgarage or Rivsu imports has a couple of parts cars they imported (which are actually only slightly worse than your car and less rust) and may have axles or parts they can provide you for a reasonable price. They may even have some rust free unibody you could borrow. For your sake, I hope you didn't spend more than 2-3k on it. Having all of its federal paperwork it might be worth 5-9k, but w/o it....

crainbow

Thanks for the info on those dealers. Shot them an e-mail and Ill see if they can get the axle. I guess when I stated suspension parts, I meant the coilovers themselves. Are those shared with any US car?

Does any US made car share the front left CV Axle? Cause that would be awesome.

kabob

Just get someone's used Skyline coilovers unless you want to put it together front and back separately. As for the CV joint, the only possible part compatibility is the G35x or M35x as nothing else in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup used the ATTESA all-wheel drive system.

I still can't believe you're trying to get that illegal rolling junk/rust heap road-worthy.

crainbow

kabob wrote:Just get someone's used Skyline coilovers unless you want to put it together front and back separately. As for the CV joint, the only possible part compatibility is the G35x or M35x as nothing else in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup used the ATTESA all-wheel drive system.

I still can't believe you're trying to get that illegal rolling junk/rust heap road-worthy.

Haha thanks for the confidence man. Anyone selling used Skyline Coilovers on here?

crainbow

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

crainbow wrote:Thanks for the info on those dealers. Shot them an e-mail and Ill see if they can get the axle. I guess when I stated suspension parts, I meant the coilovers themselves. Are those shared with any US car?

Does any US made car share the front left CV Axle? Cause that would be awesome.
The fronts are different than most anything we have state side. I ordered my greddy coils from GTRgarage. Sold the coils that came with the car on Skylineownersusa which I believe someone had a used set of cusco or tein's on there.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=56 ... hlight=R32
(believe these are still around as well)

as for something axle wise, I would guess it is a total crap shoot, but idk. Might post on a WTB on any of the USDM boards (skylineownersusa,zilvia, nico, and all the different drifter boards) and see if anyone had an old 1/2 cut you could pirate some parts from.

If you had the old trashed one, it might give someone something to compare to (length and spines)
kabob wrote: I still can't believe you're trying to get that illegal rolling junk/rust heap road-worthy.
really depends on what "road worthy" means to you... I agree, but maybe he really did pay like 12 dollars for this car and it makes sense to....

Though even at that I would part it out and buy a legal one for a little more after w/e money was made from parting.

AZhitman
Administrator

crainbow, I've gotta say, you're either crazy, suffering from a severe head injury, or just a hard-headed SOB like me.

Regardless, I give you props for hanging in and pressing on. Even if this never amounts to anything more than a learning experience, I'm glad you're here.

Carry on, good sir!

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”