Zero Draw requirement for EMC reprogramming

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
reydrx
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Hello!

I recently had to swap out my TCM and foolishly believed a retailer who said the TCM was already programmed for my 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey. Clearly - it was not.

So now I need to reprogram the ECM in order to program my TCM; based on everything I have read so far (mostly here). This requires I establish a Zero-draw on the Electrical system with the ignition on. The challenge being the instrument panel and the map light - which are both always on.

How can I override these?

Also, is this the only/right way to program a blank TCM - and do I need Consult III if I am using a j-box?

Any insight I can get is more than I have had this far and appreciated. Thanks!

reydrx
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

TCM - not EMC.

Thx, Autorekt

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Mind you, I'm a Nissan guy and not Infiniti and it's possible Infiniti did something completely off the wall with your particular ride, but I've never heard of needing to flash an ECM in order to flash a TCM. They're separate entities. If the ignition won't turn on without a live ECM, that's different, but that's a power issue and not programming. Jump the ignition relay. I have no idea about the zero draw, either. We program ECM's every day with a charger attached to support the IPDM, which will turn on fans, lights, and all kinds of "safe mode" crap while the ECM is offline being programmed. As long as the voltage stays above 12.0V, there's never any issue.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”