Yokosuka - Yokohama - Atsugi and Yokota people

Including Japan, Australia, Canada, and others.
Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

What part of Chiba are you in? I am in Saitama prefecture in Yashio city.

We had a GT-R owners club meet last night at Daikoku Futo. Usually have one meet a month. The second Wednesday of each month is the meet date.

Come on down sometime. It's usually a bunch of gaijin that meet up, and you don't have to have a GT-R. We're all pretty nice guys.

psedog
Car: 2006 G35 Sedan

I'm not in Chiba I was just passing through when I took that picture. I'm in Yokosuka. I head up to Daikoku every once in a while. I'll have to hook up with you guys. I wouldn't have been able to make it last night as I was working, but next month shouldn't be a problem.

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

im down for diafuto nowgot hte van on 19s and air bishes

T-M
Car: 92 200SX (240sx) and 04 Lexus GS300

psedog wrote:This looks like a pretty dead thread. Any meets coming up in the Yokosuka/Yokohama/Tokyo or even Chiba areas?

I have a 2006 G35. I brought it from the states.

I took this picture yesterday in Chiba on the 93.
Are you in any way or shape associated with the military or DOD? Because if you are, how did you manage to bring your car to Japan? Just curious.

yokota180sx

tmo ships it.....

its not hard

T-M
Car: 92 200SX (240sx) and 04 Lexus GS300

yokota180sx wrote:tmo ships it.....

its not hard
things must have changed since I moved to Okinawa back in 02...no cars were shipped to Japan back then. If TMO is shipping cars now, then i'll be bringing my GS300 from Germany to there. Hopefully mid next year I'll be back in Japan. I was kind of worried cause I don't want to sell my lexus.

do you work in TMO by any chance?

yokota180sx

sell ityou cn buy a 2gs for like 4k here.s***s cheap

and no i dont work for tmobut ive imported about a dozen cars and bikes over 4 years for people

psedog

Shipping to mainland Japan is easy. Okinawa isn't. I don't know if it has changed, but you can't bring a car from the US to Okinawa at least not through the military.

Search around the internet for more info on how to request approval to send your car here. I found the instruction on an army website. You have to get it approved by CNFJ (Commander Naval Forces Japan). Which requires you to submit a package that has to be approved by your CO (Commanding Officer). If your process goes anything like mine, then your local chain of command will desperately try to talk you out of it. Ignore them. As long as your car can pass California smog tests, then you will have no problem registering your car here. The initial smog test is about 2k. Then you will have to take some pictures of your car and get a test done on your base. After that you can register it. Lighting is another big requirement. Your tail lights have to have yellow signals. Your front fenders have to have signals as well. They can be on the side of your bumper as well, like mine. Also, you can't have a combination running light/blinker. They have to be independent. Those were all of the signal rules that I had failed initially, lol. It took me a couple of months, but it's worth it. After all of these years I'm still the sole G35 Sedan owner in Japan.

I apologize for the late reply, been out of town.

Blackbob
Car: 05' M6 GTO

psedog wrote:Shipping to mainland Japan is easy. Okinawa isn't. I don't know if it has changed, but you can't bring a car from the US to Okinawa at least not through the military.

Search around the internet for more info on how to request approval to send your car here. I found the instruction on an army website. You have to get it approved by CNFJ (Commander Naval Forces Japan). Which requires you to submit a package that has to be approved by your CO (Commanding Officer). If your process goes anything like mine, then your local chain of command will desperately try to talk you out of it. Ignore them. As long as your car can pass California smog tests, then you will have no problem registering your car here. The initial smog test is about 2k. Then you will have to take some pictures of your car and get a test done on your base. After that you can register it. Lighting is another big requirement. Your tail lights have to have yellow signals. Your front fenders have to have signals as well. They can be on the side of your bumper as well, like mine. Also, you can't have a combination running light/blinker. They have to be independent. Those were all of the signal rules that I had failed initially, lol. It took me a couple of months, but it's worth it. After all of these years I'm still the sole G35 Sedan owner in Japan.

THANK GOD I FOUND THIS POST !!!!! OMFG !!!!! Dude YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER !!!!! People tried to tell me all this B.S. and I knew it could not be that freaking hard. Do you know anyone who has done it recently ? I'm trying to bring my 99' Cobra over when I'm up for orders here in V.A.

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

Blackbob wrote:
psedog wrote:Shipping to mainland Japan is easy. Okinawa isn't. I don't know if it has changed, but you can't bring a car from the US to Okinawa at least not through the military.

THANK GOD I FOUND THIS POST !!!!! OMFG !!!!! Dude YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER !!!!! People tried to tell me all this B.S. and I knew it could not be that freaking hard. Do you know anyone who has done it recently ? I'm trying to bring my 99' Cobra over when I'm up for orders here in V.A.

To piggy-back off of psedog, it'll be very expensive but, IMO, a relatively short process. I have a crazy modified Z that I was willing to take with me back to Iwakuni but I've since changed my mind. If you have a Japanese USDM car (i.e. 350z) then look into starting the conversion yourself in the states by getting the JDM version parts (i.e. fenders, reflectors, etc, if possible). You won't be able to do everything yourself but you can, perhaps, save yourself time/money DIY.

Any DoD Civ/mil wanting to ship their USDM car to Japan. READ HERE:
http://www.japanbases.com/forums/aft/468.aspx

psedog

I disagree with the "it's so expensive" part. Most of the cost that people bring up is the same cost you would pay for any other vehicle. The initial tests are what is expensive 2100 for emissions 300 for recycling and a couple hundred more for licensing. All in all it's about $3000 minus insurance (which is what you would pay for any other car). The one nice thing is that you don't have to get your car inspected again for 3 years. A normal car is 2. So, that was nice.
The biggest thing you want to make sure of before you bring your car is that it is CARB legal. If it can pass California emissions, then it'll pass here. If your car can't pass CA emissions, then don't bother. Honestly, for only 3K i've had my car here since 2008... It's not wasting away in a storage facility, but I enjoy my car and it isn't just a tool to me.
Oh, and I paid $0 for shipping. If you had to pay for shipping, then you did something wrong. Remember you have to get it approved by CNFJ before shipping it.

Return to “International Region”